Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

What are the best Vader matches? I love Vader vs Sting but having trouble recalling my other favorites.

Vader vs Muto from the G1
Vader vs Cactus Jack, Texas Death Match
Vader vs Flair from Starrcade
the Vader vs Kobashi, Akiyama and Misawa matches from 99/2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The final four match is pretty fun too.

Oh and also the match where Stan Hansen gouges out his eye

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wrestling Bios just did a video on the Final Four match. Undertaker, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, and Vader in a four way brawl was super entertaining.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wrestling Bios just did a video on the Final Four match. Undertaker, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, and Vader in a four way brawl was super entertaining.

drat that sounds good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you've never seen the G1 match here it is, the aftermath is must see stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCoEzuHjaIg

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TTBF posted:

If someone were to go to Tokyo for a week, what are some wrestling related spots/shops/etc to check out?

There was a map compiled by some people online but they appear to be selling their knowledge as an ebook now. Maybe you can buy it if you feel like it https://thelionmarks.com/

However, back when I went to Tokyo for WK I pinned all the spots they mentioned on a Google map and dumped it all in the meetup thread, heh. Check this out

The Lion Marks' Map of Wrestling Spots in Tokyo (this was a link, doesn’t work anymore)

Back Drop (pro wrestling merch on the cheap)
EBRIETAS (Yano's Bar)
HAOMING Shop (clothes and masks and merch it looks like)
Nippon Budokan (not sure why this was on the list but it's of course an important location for pro wrestling)
MARUBUSHOUTEN (BUSHI's fried chicken shop)
Piledriver (Suzuki's clothing shop)
Ribera Steakhouse 1 and 2
Tokon Shop (NJPW Official Shop)
Tonga Coffee (Bad Luck Fale's cafe)
Toudoukan Wrestling Shop

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gaz-L posted:

Does Booker winning the title on the final Nitro count as WCW proper, or do we count it as WWE?

I think it counts (even though WWF booked the show) but what's often forgotten is that he only became the 5 time 5 time 5 time 5 time 5 time WCW champion after he lost the title and won it back from that WCW mainstay Kurt Angle.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What was Crash Hollys finishing move?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
dying

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Eat My Fuc posted:

What are the best Vader matches? I love Vader vs Sting but having trouble recalling my other favorites.

He had a couple with Sting and they were all good.

vs Sting at: Great American Bash 1992, Starrcade 1992 and SuperBrawl 3.

vs Cactus Jack at Halloween Havoc 1993

vs Ric Flair at Starrcade 1993. This is a title (Vader) vs career (Flair) match and the entire build-up to it was literally just WCW as a company going "welp, Flair is going to die" and Flair saying goodbye to his family.

He had some good matches during his 99/00 All Japan run as well, vs Kobashi and Misawa.

Really, you can just go here https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=132&page=10&sortby=colMeltzer&sorttype=DESC and take your pick.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

What was Crash Hollys finishing move?

I remember him doing a Styles Clash called The Crash Landing

Crash kind of ruled.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MrBling posted:

vs Ric Flair at Starrcade 1993. This is a title (Vader) vs career (Flair) match and the entire build-up to it was literally just WCW as a company going "welp, Flair is going to die" and Flair saying goodbye to his family.

That build before and during the PPV was just amazing. You nailed it. The show was built around "Ric Flair is going to die".

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That Flair vs Vader match really opened my eyes to the fact that Flair is the best baby-face of all time.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

That Flair vs Vader match really opened my eyes to the fact that Flair is the best baby-face of all time.

Sorry, that's Ricky Steamboat. Flair was an amazing babyface for that match, but it's because Vader was portrayed as such a monstrous beast of a wrestler.

edit: I also liked to think of it as Harley Race coming back to still mess up Flair through any means even though Race had retired.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So they've now released four former NXT champions in Bo Dallas, Neville, Samoa Joe, and Andrade. Who's next?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So they've now released four former NXT champions in Bo Dallas, Neville, Samoa Joe, and Andrade. Who's next?

I'd probably say the most likely would be Keith Lee, Aleister Black, or Bobby Roode.

I don't think they're close to releasing any of them in reality, but looking at the list of former champions those seem like the three names that stick out to me who would be guys WWE either doesn't know how to use or will never push past a certain ceiling, so they figure they can cut them at any time.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I don't think they'd cut Finn, but I could certainly see him maybe wanting a run in AEW when his contract is up.

smikey
May 22, 2004

Pitwar posted:

I don't think they'd cut Finn, but I could certainly see him maybe wanting a run in AEW when his contract is up.

He's retiring in WWE

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

total list:

- seth rollins
- big e
- bo dallas
- adrian neville
- sami zayn
- kevin owens
- finn balor (twice)
- samoa joe (twice)
- shinsuke nakamura (twice)
- bobby roode
- drew mcintyre
- andrade
- aleister black
- ciampa
- gargano
- adam cole
- keith lee
- karrion kross (twice)

i'd say aleister black and keith lee are the easy layups (the rumored Return Of Aleister Black feels like a wet fart of a gimmick). bobby roode and adam cole feel like they're going nowhere for the rest of the time in the company. finn balor and sami zayn could get booked anywhere they wanted if they leave but who knows what they feel like about leaving, really, especially since they're both ostensibly pushed

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like Nakamura is another candidate unless he's really enjoying himself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Didn't someone tag Nakamura in a tweet saying that he's happy in WWE because he can go surfing and Nakamura tweeted back "who said I was happy?"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

everything about him kind of feels like he doesn't really give a poo poo what he's doing as long as he gets paid

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Didn't someone tag Nakamura in a tweet saying that he's happy in WWE because he can go surfing and Nakamura tweeted back "who said I was happy?"

Sure did!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why did barry windham's career basically plummet following him winning the WCW Championship?

smikey
May 22, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

why did barry windham's career basically plummet following him winning the WCW Championship?

Without research, I'm gonna go with injuries that built up over time and abuse of pharmaceuticals to self-medicate.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

JOHN CENA posted:

Bad knees, primarily.

It's a shame too. He was, in my opinion, the best wrestler in the world in 1988.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Didn’t Windham have a rich mistress too so he didn’t have much financial worries or motivations? Or am I thinking of someone else?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

Beyond the bad knees, weight gain and a lot of people have said they never really thought Windham was that dedicated to wrestling. He wasn't even a gym rat.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Didn’t Windham have a rich mistress too so he didn’t have much financial worries or motivations? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Windham's spouse was from a rural area with a huge amount of hunting and fishing territory. I don't know about money - rich in that area doesn't necessarily mean billionaire (or even millionaire) - but being able to hunt and fish in vast swamplands apparently appealed a lot to Windham.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AK-47 posted:

Sure did!

That plays to me like "shut the gently caress up, i need to pretend i'm going to AEW or New Japan or Noah so I get a raise when my contract's up".

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6HR1-gknQc

Toukoudan, as shown by one Colton Aloysius Cabana

Also MiSu's store in Harajuku, called Piledriver

a cyborg mug posted:

There was a map compiled by some people online but they appear to be selling their knowledge as an ebook now. Maybe you can buy it if you feel like it https://thelionmarks.com/

However, back when I went to Tokyo for WK I pinned all the spots they mentioned on a Google map and dumped it all in the meetup thread, heh. Check this out

The Lion Marks' Map of Wrestling Spots in Tokyo (this was a link, doesn’t work anymore)

Back Drop (pro wrestling merch on the cheap)
EBRIETAS (Yano's Bar)
HAOMING Shop (clothes and masks and merch it looks like)
Nippon Budokan (not sure why this was on the list but it's of course an important location for pro wrestling)
MARUBUSHOUTEN (BUSHI's fried chicken shop)
Piledriver (Suzuki's clothing shop)
Ribera Steakhouse 1 and 2
Tokon Shop (NJPW Official Shop)
Tonga Coffee (Bad Luck Fale's cafe)
Toudoukan Wrestling Shop

Awesome! Thank you both.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is wrestling popular in American Samoa or is it pretty much just the Anoa'i family being real into it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Speaking of Samoa‘s, has anyone ever gotten a Girl Scout gimmick over? Someone did it as a white meat babyface thing in an RPG I played and it was pretty cool.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Golden Bee posted:

Speaking of Samoa‘s, has anyone ever gotten a Girl Scout gimmick over? Someone did it as a white meat babyface thing in an RPG I played and it was pretty cool.

Samoa Joe did a girl scout gimmick on Edge & Christian's Show That Totally Reeks of Awesomeness once. It was fairly amusing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Molly Holly would have rocked that poo poo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think doing it full-on is both liable to get you sued by the actual organisation, and is dancing real close to the creeper side of the fanbase. Bayley (as a face) and Kylie Rae come reasonably close, in the same way a John Cena fits the Boy Scout mould, I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its like the problem people have with Alexa Bliss' current character. Its fine for Bayley or Kylie Rae because they're just grown ladies. But once you start gimmicking them up like children its real creepy.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is wrestling popular in American Samoa or is it pretty much just the Anoa'i family being real into it?

When I was a kid and we would visit family in American Samoa, it seemed like every bus that had a TV hooked up was playing wrestling tapes. I haven't been back since 2004 though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They could be an Eagle Scout or a scoutmaster. Although canteen boy would be interesting to see in hoodslam.

And they already have a theme song!

https://genius.com/Original-broadway-cast-of-beetlejuice-girl-scout-lyrics

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Manscout Jake Manning has existed for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Are there any wrestlers you think look like another person? I've just remembered Static X and Wayne Static (RIP) and I cannot unsee Matt Hardy.