Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I haven't deleted my vaccine appointment confirmation emails simply for an additional layer of proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't see how this matters? It's supremely stupid, but the cards shouldn't be used by any organization or event as a means of verifying vaccine status in the first place. Even if the cards where somehow strictly controlled and forgery proof, you'd still have shitheads borrowing other peoples cards or outright stealing them.

It matters because having bad data about who has been vaccinated will impede the efforts of people doing contact tracing or tracking the spread of variants, which could lead to a misdirection of resources or misapplication of measures.

My absolute biggest fear is that the pace of mutations will eclipse the glacial pace at which the world at large is vaccinating its residents. It’d be absolutely hilarious and horrifying if the first variant to really defeat the current vaccines originated in the US.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I, uh...have a quite different understanding of "hilarious".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hillorifying.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For now though, the vaccines that we have are absurdly effective. Out of 75 million fully vaccinated so far, the CDC is aware of 5,814 breakthrough infections.

https://twitter.com/DocJeffD/status/1383950294917160962

29% of those were asymptomatic, 7% hospitalized, 1% dead. Humans got profoundly lucky on the efficacy of these vaccines.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's honestly shocking how rarely cops, prosecutors, and judges are actually targeted in the US. With so many lives and families destroyed, you would expect more people taking that personally.

To be fair cops make up for it by terrorizing their own families.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
At the least, in Washington state, there is an online database to look up your vaccine record. Now, this isn’t foolproof - you may have to contact your doctor to ask for your vaccine record (as I did), and they may not have your covid vaccines on it (as they did not mine. But, county health directors keep a record of vaccinations, and generally that is uploaded into the state database where you can access it.

https://myirmobile.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8_J1LWJ8AIV_T6tBh2HYQ_-EAAYASAAEgLodfD_BwE

In addition to that, my department is running vaccine clinics. They look you up in that database before giving the vaccine, and have already identified people who they classify as, “vaccine tourists.” That is, there are literally people out there who seek to get every shot possible as often as possible.

So, there is already a system in place, in short.

Edit: And yes, at least in WA, you can contact your doctor to ask for your vaccine record. I’m in my 30’s, and my infant vaccines were done in a different state, so I couldn’t get those. But, everything from middle school on was on there.

Edit 2: I mean, obviously this doesn’t count for every state or, I dunno, whatever but... stop the hysteria? I can only speak to what I know, though, and not BFE, AL.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Traditionally, the way to deal with not having documentation of vaccines, for people who needed them to travel or work in childcare or whatever, was “go get jabbed again and get a record of it this time”.

These vaccines are exceptional in two major ways. Supply of them is limited and we don’t have a long history showing that repeated vaccination is well-tolerated, so we don’t necessarily want people to go out and get more.

We have been revaccinating people in some edge cases.

quote:

The Colorado Department of Health and Environment is advising individuals who received vaccines at Colorado Springs-based Dr. Moma Health and Wellness Clinic to consider the vaccination invalid, according to an April 13 news release.

On April 9, CDPHE suspended administration and distribution of all COVID-19 vaccines at the site, citing potential irregularities in vaccine storage and handling. An investigation with the CDC identified substandard vaccine storage and handling, vaccine preparation, mass clinic operations and poor record-keeping practices.

CDPHE is unable to verify if the vaccines administered were viable because the provider failed to provide proper documentation of temperature storage. People who received one dose at the Dr. Moma Health and Wellness Clinic are advised to receive two additional doses at the proper time intervals.

For people who received two doses at the clinic, the CDC and CDPHE say those doses should be considered invalid and individuals should receive one additional dose. Due to a lack of clinical data, the CDC doesn't recommend receiving more than three doses of any COVID-19 vaccine, regardless of validity.

Pfizer’s also running a trial of third shots in case that provides even more protection, especially against potential escape variants.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's honestly shocking how rarely cops, prosecutors, and judges are actually targeted in the US. With so many lives and families destroyed, you would expect more people taking that personally.

I just read Mississippi Mud, non-fiction about a circuit judge and his wife who were slain in 1987 by a hitman at home, and it took years to solve. turns out the judge’s former law partner had stolen lots of money from an imprisoned crime boss and convinced the guy it had been the judge.

I had a buddy who worked as an assistant DA for a while and got the occasional death threat. Not fun and scary. He’s in private practice now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I haven't deleted my vaccine appointment confirmation emails simply for an additional layer of proof.

I hadn't thought of this, but it's a good idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1383787550679072775

:irony:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen when the statewide moratorium on evictions expires 45-60 days after the pandemic “ends.” That kind of seems like the “Wiley E. Coyote running off the edge of the cliff but not falling until he looks down” moment except with people shooting at sheriffs deputies coming to evict them.

I don't think it'll happen

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

For those interested: he’s a boomer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

For now though, the vaccines that we have are absurdly effective. Out of 75 million fully vaccinated so far, the CDC is aware of 5,814 breakthrough infections.

https://twitter.com/DocJeffD/status/1383950294917160962

29% of those were asymptomatic, 7% hospitalized, 1% dead. Humans got profoundly lucky on the efficacy of these vaccines.

I think that the qualifier here is “for now though.” The pace of vaccination in the rest of the world is super slow with some countries not expected to reach a level comparable to the US until 2023. I am concerned that this could allow the virus to continue spreading and mutating as it interacts with people who have been vaccinated.

I just don’t think we’re out of the woods with this thing yet, and what’s happening in places like India and Bangladesh is pretty frightening.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think that the qualifier here is “for now though.” The pace of vaccination in the rest of the world is super slow with some countries not expected to reach a level comparable to the US until 2023. I am concerned that this could allow the virus to continue spreading and mutating as it interacts with people who have been vaccinated.

I just don’t think we’re out of the woods with this thing yet, and what’s happening in places like India and Bangladesh is pretty frightening.

Both of those countries have deeply poor mega-urban centers with a human population per area that makes my head swim. You're right to be concerned, I agree we're not out of any woods, but comparing the US to India and Bangladesh necessitates glossing over some pretty major lifestyle differences that would have a major impact on the covid outcomes

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We got insanely lucky that the mRNA vaccines became available when they did. They're a quantum leap that happened to land at the right time.

And not the Scott Bakula kind of quantum leap.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1383610098098970624?s=19

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why can’t the EU and Canada and all these counties with real functional healthcare systems not vaccinate at the same rate at as the US with our god awful lay-down-in-the-street-and-die “healthcare” system?

This honestly makes no sense to me.

The UK is doing well but France and Germany are barley at 20%. The USA even with a year of anti-vax hysteria from half the political system is at 40%.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

davecrazy posted:

Why can’t the EU and Canada and all these counties with real functional healthcare systems not vaccinate at the same rate at as the US with our god awful lay-down-in-the-street-and-die “healthcare” system?

The UK is doing well but France and Germany are barley at 20%. The USA even with a year of anti-vax hysteria from half the political system is at 40%.

For Canada/Ontario, it was supply for a long time. We're actually vaccinating at a rate about equal to the US based on population (over 100k daily in a province of 13m). We're still being dicked over by Moderna but we got a bunch of extra doses from Pfizer, borrowed AZ from the US and JJ should be rolling out very soon.

The messaging about AstraZeneca has been incredibly harmful. Lots of boomers are refusing a same day shot of AZ to wait for Pfizer/Moderna which delays younger people being eligible. It turned into a minor crisis over the weekend when pharmacies were making it known that AZ shots were going to expire because the 55+ crowd didnt want them. So they dropped the age to 40+ starting Tuesday.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

davecrazy posted:

The short answer is that we did the opposite of everything that makes most healthcare in the US a nightmare. The government basically strongarmed vaccine manufacturers while throwing piles of money at them to secure a supply, and there's no up front cost to people getting the vaccine.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Closing arguments in the Chauvin trial, if you are so inclined:

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1384142806600404999?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There really is no reforming this system

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1383731276193009672?s=20

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1383960517853646852?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 19, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shocked, truly

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

"Active Duty" law enforcement?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PeterCat posted:

Yeah, it's fairly common here in the US to use militarized language while discussing the police, wouldn't you know?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, it's fairly common here in the US to use militarized language while discussing the police, wouldn't you know?

There are reserve police programs too. They are pretty common in the south to have reserve sheriff deputies. It’s all held up in racism of course, it’s how sheriffs could build a posey legally.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya every podunk two stop light down will have some small reserve force made up of geriatric old coots.

or sometimes they have volunteers, even, that do traffic control type stuff

It’s weird, and of course much more common with fire departments and such, where it actually makes sense

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

PeterCat posted:

American institutions tremble at the thought of a mobilized community of Oath Keepers in the street trained to the hawkeye accuracy and rigid discipline of the average American policeman.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is being trained by a cop them just making sure you are as hair trigger and rage addicted as possible?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya every podunk two stop light down will have some small reserve force made up of geriatric old coots.

or sometimes they have volunteers, even, that do traffic control type stuff

It’s weird, and of course much more common with fire departments and such, where it actually makes sense

A lot of reserve officers do things like security at football games and such as well.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Is being trained by a cop them just making sure you are as hair trigger and rage addicted as possible?

The most "useful" things they could show extremist groups are how to stay off the radar of the wider police, and common police security measures for events to circumvent them.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Weird, I started googling Oath Keepers and how to join so I could get some law enforcement training to help defend my community, and all I keep finding is stuff about how they are aligned with hate groups and white nationalism and that a bunch of their members are catchin cases for the capitol riot

why would the police want to be involved with this???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

US Berder Patrol posted:

Weird, I started googling Oath Keepers and how to join so I could get some law enforcement training to help defend my community, and all I keep finding is stuff about how they are aligned with hate groups and white nationalism and that a bunch of their members are catchin cases for the capitol riot

why would the police want to be involved with this???

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The guy that used to manage my storage unit is/was an Oathkeeper. Old as gently caress and used to walk around in cargo shorts with a lovely moto t-shirt and an open carry handgun in a holster year-round. I was cleaning some poo poo our one day, and went to use the restroom, and on the back of the toilet was his lovely Taurus or Ruger, just hanging out waiting for someone to steal it. Against my better judgement, I went to the office to let him know that he forgot his lovely gun, he was embarrassed to say the least. In hindsight I should have reported it as an abandoned weapon or something.

Anyhow thats the kind of idiots that think they are the only thing standing between us and the Chinese.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Never mind, I finally found their website. All I have to do is send them a copy of my DD-214, and a $50 annual or $1000 lifetime for dues. Do you think I should use copy Member 1?

unfortunately oathkeepergearstore.com is down

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1384160036910292998?s=19

I mostly just linked this because it's a short story in perfect form. Covid vaccines gave me blood clots and I felt like I was miscarrying. Except I didn't get the vaccine, I'm not pregnant, so maybe they adjusted the chemtrails to give me 5G hormones.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bengy81 posted:

The guy that used to manage my storage unit is/was an Oathkeeper. Old as gently caress and used to walk around in cargo shorts with a lovely moto t-shirt and an open carry handgun in a holster year-round. I was cleaning some poo poo our one day, and went to use the restroom, and on the back of the toilet was his lovely Taurus or Ruger, just hanging out waiting for someone to steal it. Against my better judgement, I went to the office to let him know that he forgot his lovely gun, he was embarrassed to say the least. In hindsight I should have reported it as an abandoned weapon or something.

Anyhow thats the kind of idiots that think they are the only thing standing between us and the Chinese.

Should've dropped it in the toilet and taken a dump on it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

davecrazy posted:

The UK and the US reserved the bulk of their vaccine production for domestic use, seems kind of gauche to look down at the rest of us for not getting it when you are literally keeping it for yourselves

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

Should've dropped it in the toilet and taken a dump on it.

"Someone didn't flush and it won't go down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Eej posted:

The UK and the US reserved the bulk of their vaccine production for domestic use, seems kind of gauche to look down at the rest of us for not getting it when you are literally keeping it for yourselves

Willing to bet most Americans don't know this tho. Despite hearing it on the news it wouldn't have really registered with me if it hadn't been for people bitching about it in this thread, hearing it on the news consisted of one or two sentences on NPR, I can't imagine if more mainstream poo poo is mentioning it at all