Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Congrats. It's good to hear that someone, somewhere is actually getting one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Inept posted:

Lenovo is using AMD's Platform Secure Boot feature to lock Threadripper chips to Lenovo platforms https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-is-using-amd-psb-to-vendor-lock-amd-cpus/

This should make buying used chips a fun minefield.

oh they can eat my entire rear end.

I complained about this when wendell first pointed it out on epyc chips because it's such a transparent ploy to nuke the secondary market and generate enormous amounts of ewaste. I hope europe reams them over it and bans their chips in datacenters until they backtrack.

The correct security answer is a SPI ROM with the platform key in it. Security-wise it'd be far superior: it would require replacing BGA components on a server in the wild to hack. Highly skilled work requiring specialty gear to accomplish, not something you can sneak into a datacenter. Fuse-lock? A pocket full of virgin epyc chips and a clip-on or press-fit flash writer. You could train anyone to do it.

Way to make me root for intel again, jesus christ.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

5000 Series, Zen3 APUs (Cezanne) are launching!

(for OEMs only. Again. Lol)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16616/amd-ryzen-5000g-apus-oem-only-for-now-full-release-later-this-year

Of note is that as expected, they only feature PCIe 3.0 support.

The good news is AMD is "planning" a retail launch this time. We shall see.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of those would make a nice NAS appliance with Unraid or something similar! Shame OEM only..

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know AMD would rather service more lucrative markets but i don’t care gently caress you guys I just want to give you money and you won’t sell me what I want

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

WhyteRyce posted:

I know AMD would rather service more lucrative markets but i don’t care gently caress you guys I just want to give you money and you won’t sell me what I want

You'll probably be able to find them on Aliexpress eventually.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

You'll probably be able to find them on Aliexpress eventually.

I put in an order from some vendor 3 months ago for a 4650 which has yet to materialize and I'm too lazy to just switch to one of the eBay sellers from Asia

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It is kind of silly that you still can't readily buy an APU for the B550/A520. They should have just allowed you to use 3000 APUs on them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

5000 Series, Zen3 APUs (Cezanne) are launching!

(for OEMs only. Again. Lol)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16616/amd-ryzen-5000g-apus-oem-only-for-now-full-release-later-this-year

Of note is that as expected, they only feature PCIe 3.0 support.

The good news is AMD is "planning" a retail launch this time. We shall see.

VEEEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(Yeah, yeah, I know, RDNA is probably bandwidth-starved and they're waiting for DDR5 before they put RDNA into their APUs.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 15, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Scan finally cleared their 5900x backorder backlog today, having received 374 in the last few weeks.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs

Are AMD finally starting to keep up with demand?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I can confirm I took possession of the 5900X I got from LinusTechTips.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1382797215278632962

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Scan finally cleared their 5900x backorder backlog today, having received 374 in the last few weeks.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs

Are AMD finally starting to keep up with demand?

Here in Canada 5600x's have suddenly been in stock everywhere at regular(-ish) price, and the stock doesn't seem to be disappearing. I know it wasn't the hardest processor to get, but it was still a little tricky to find at MSRP before.

Now I don't know if I should grab a 5600x or wait for zen3+. I mean I've made it this far, what's a few more months?... hang in there little i5 750.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I can confirm I took possession of the 5900X I got from LinusTechTips.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1382797215278632962

congrats

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

Now I don't know if I should grab a 5600x or wait for zen3+. I mean I've made it this far, what's a few more months?... hang in there little i5 750.

May as well wait for Zen 4 once 3+ is available...and then Zen 5 will iron out the kinks and DDR5 will be cheaper by then, not to mention the bump Zen 6 could bring in IPC.

Better hold onto that 12 year old processor a few more years.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Inept posted:

May as well wait for Zen 4 once 3+ is available...and then Zen 5 will iron out the kinks and DDR5 will be cheaper by then, not to mention the bump Zen 6 could bring in IPC.

Better hold onto that 12 year old processor a few more years.

Right?

OP, with a CPU that old it doesn't matter what you upgrade to. Intel 10th/11th gen, or Ryzen 3000/5000. Any model. You're not going to believe how modern, high core-count CPUs perform (and everything is high core-count compared to where you are because of SMT/HT implementations that provide noticeable boosts to everything but FPU-bound sci/eng workloads).

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speaking of that, I am actually getting bigger increases moving from an 8700K to a 5950X in my personal build than I even expected. I'm planning to do an effort post on my numbers, but here is a little sneak preview with a 3090:

Some games obviously run headlong into bottlenecks regardless of what you throw at them (like RDR2 and the Asscreed games), but I really didn't expect to see those uplifts in GTAV and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I did a bunch more comparison on RAM speeds and the various OC/PBO settings on the 5950X that I'll get together at some point too.

e: everything at 1440p maxed settings (except motion blur)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 16, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dammit stop posting stuff that makes me think about upgrading my 8700K :haw:

(Stuck with a 2070 tho)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

priznat posted:

(Stuck with a 2070 tho)

My 3600X and 2070 Super seem to be a good pairing. By the time Zen3+ comes out I figure GPUs might actually be available again, so I figure timing could work out. It's not like I have any complaints with my rig's performance as it is.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

mdxi posted:

Right?

OP, with a CPU that old it doesn't matter what you upgrade to. Intel 10th/11th gen, or Ryzen 3000/5000. Any model. You're not going to believe how modern, high core-count CPUs perform (and everything is high core-count compared to where you are because of SMT/HT implementations that provide noticeable boosts to everything but FPU-bound sci/eng workloads).

Eh, you almost had me but the hardware thread talked me out of it. I'm waiting until I can get my hands on a new graphics card then basing my system off that. That seems like a non-arbitrary future goal, although my 970 shall never realize all of its un-bottlenecked glory.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

priznat posted:

(Stuck with a 2070 tho)
4440 here lol

Mini M1 at work almost got me considering a Maxc again (it's insanely fast and I'd never think it'd run Disco in 3440x1440 at 45ish fps (without AA though))

But no real Linux support (yet; go go Hector!) Makes it nope for now

Also I want AMD again, dammit, loved my OG Athlin 64 3000+

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apparently Newegg has enough 5800X to make it a shell shocker tomorrow

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

5800X is easy to get; you can pretty much pick it up on Amazon at any time for MSRP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s a pretty terrible value at MSRP so it makes sense that it’d be the first to be readily available.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
$10 dollars off is a shell shocker? If it was actually significant I might have broken down and bought one instead of waiting for a 5900X.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm thinking about going AMD in the future. What should I know coming from Intel? Wasn't there some software I should install to optimize it? Is PBO something I should enable without thought? Assume I'd be using decent cooling

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm thinking about going AMD in the future. What should I know coming from Intel? Wasn't there some software I should install to optimize it? Is PBO something I should enable without thought? Assume I'd be using decent cooling

Ryzen Master is the equivalent of the Intel Tuning application. I don't think people use this much (anymore).

There's an application called "Clock Tuner" by a user named 1usmus that's supposed to automate the process of trying to find out how far each individual core complex can be tuned/overclocked, which can yield some additional gains if you're willing to learn how to use it. This is probably what people are referring to.

The easiest thing to do is to turn on PBO in your BIOS, which basically gives Ryzen CPUs a floating turbo, where the CPU clocks as far and as hard as it can sense a sustainable boost based on power delivery and thermal limits.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ryzen Master is the equivalent of the Intel Tuning application. I don't think people use this much (anymore).

There's an application called "Clock Tuner" by a user named 1usmus that's supposed to automate the process of trying to find out how far each individual core complex can be tuned/overclocked, which can yield some additional gains if you're willing to learn how to use it. This is probably what people are referring to.

The easiest thing to do is to turn on PBO in your BIOS, which basically gives Ryzen CPUs a floating turbo, where the CPU clocks as far and as hard as it can sense a sustainable boost based on power delivery and thermal limits.

Ah, 1usmus, that's the person I was trying to think of. Thanks!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's worth doing ram tuning on Zen, but OC really isn't particularly worth it. AMD is ahead of Intel on frequency behavior, they've done a very good job of auto-optimizing their CPUs, and unless you don't care about heat at all it's hard to argue it's worth OCing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The"hotness" these days is all about undervolting each core to various degrees, so you can both cut down on power/temps and give it more headroom to boost.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-romed6u-2l2t-review-amd-epyc-in-matx/

ASRock never ceases to amaze with jam-packed smaller motherboards. 4x x16 PCIe slots, 3x MiniSAS, 3x Slimline NVMe, and they still somehow fit in 2x m.2 slots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

ASRock never ceases to amaze with jam-packed smaller motherboards. 4x x16 PCIe slots, 3x MiniSAS, 3x Slimline NVMe, and they still somehow fit in 2x m.2 slots.

God drat I love it, ASRock you beautiful bastards.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Would you even be able to aircool that with the memory so close to the socket?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Actuarial Fables posted:

Only 6 memory channels. The article suggests this would limited you to 75% of the expected bandwidth, but it's actually far lower since 6 DIMMs in an unbalanced configuration. Something to keep in mind if you had a memory intensive application planned.

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 18, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is what I crave

https://www.servethehome.com/asus-rs720a-e11-rs24u-review-amd-epyc-7763-and-nvidia-a100-in-2u/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would you even be able to aircool that with the memory so close to the socket?

Yes! A lot of servers just use passive heatsinks on the socket because their chassis have a bunch of powerful (and noisy) intake fans.

If you were to put that board in a standard desktop matx/atx case and use a threadripper air cooler though, it probably wouldn't work very well.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

Gwaihir posted:

The"hotness" these days is all about undervolting each core to various degrees, so you can both cut down on power/temps and give it more headroom to boost.

I've looked at half a dozen guides all with conflicting methods for undervolting/OCing. Some say PBO scalar at Auto, some say 1x, some say 10x. Others say Curve Optimizer's per core undervolt is the way to go, but then the guides conflict over whether to undervolt the weaker cores more aggressively, or the best cores. Then even further complicating matters, one guide suggests you should run OCCT for a half a day, and another says higher clockspeeds are less unstable with an undervolt than idle clockspeeds and recommends running the Windows automatic repair tool 10 times to test stability near idle. Others say use CTR and forget about it, but I couldn't get CTR to tune, only do diagnostics (golden chip 5600x too).

With all this conflicting info, I set PBO scalar to 10x, set PBO limits to my motherboard, then dialed in -5 offset in CO and used the automatic repair tool and OCCT until I found my stable values of -20,-10,-15,-20,-20,-20 offset in CO (the two less undervolted are the two best cores but I didn't drill down further to see if I can go lower). I'm getting an AutoOC offset of +150 mhz on top of that. AIO 240 cooler keeping it at 75c when Cinebench is running a test, which is 15c higher than it ran out of the box. Totally stable for about two weeks now.

It'd be nice if someone could wade through the conflicting setups and guides and tell me if I'm doing it right, or potentially frying my chip early or something though.

Negative_Kittens fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 19, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

sounds like you're fine

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

denereal visease posted:

sounds like you're fine

Alright thanks. Its just hard to be sure when the documentation is basically different users self-reporting, and a couple of review websites with conflicting methodology. I would've loved to have CTR handle it, but apparently earlier revisions of CTR fried some people's chips and then 1usmus basically told them to pound sand. Which made me wary overall, and then the program kept failing after clicking tune. Cinebench would run completely, then close, and then CTR would stop responding for a an hour or more. Turning the cinebench test off in options had the program hang at the end of the Prime95 test. PC was running, no soft crash of the OS or anything, just "(not responding)" on CTR for hours. After troubleshooting for almost a day, I gave up and tried to research how to do it myself.
https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/02/05/ctr-a-review-and-a-warning/ <- this was the article, for reference.

Negative_Kittens fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 19, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, that's the right way to do it. There's no risk to frying the chip when undervolting anyhow, it's not like you are cranking the voltage up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Only 6 memory channels. The article suggests this would limited you to 75% of the expected bandwidth, but it's actually far lower since 6 DIMMs in an unbalanced configuration. Something to keep in mind if you had a memory intensive application planned.

What does unbalanced mean in this context?