Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Finally got those pictures and it's weirder than I thought. I never realized a ball joint on the side of the knuckle was a thing. Also unless that's perspective, that's a hell of an angle on the strut.

Okay, NOW I have a clear mental picture and What the gently caress Subaru???? I dont see any quick replacements for the suspension or knuckle like I thought there should be.

Altho to be fair I see ways to fab up something so a Impreza hub would work, but still. Thats not very Subaru to use a one off design like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress Subaru????

I had been trying to figure out what to title my thread if I start a project thread, I was thinking something about an AWD jet fighter but I think you just nailed it.

As to why, I've described this car as Subaru slapping their balls on the table to prove they could do more than the Brat and Loyale, so I think they were going all out on "how do we make this the best we can" rather than caring about any kind of parts compatibility. If the car hadn't been a massive flop (losing $3k per car sold apparently) they might have re-used some of it.

At this point I'm considering getting a set of these coilovers with custom spring rates: https://ceika-store.com/products/cct1m722. I'm exchanging emails with one of the owners to figure out what would be the best option for my goal of improving performance without sacrificing too much comfort. As best as I can tell they are made by Standard Suspension in Taiwan, the same company that makes the coilovers for MCA suspension in Australia, if you're familiar with them. There's a set of Standard Suspension branded coilovers on Yahoo Japan that have a 200mm front and 250mm rear travel with a 6kg/4kg spring rate that judging by the natural frequency of the car at that spring weight and corner weight should be pretty good, but the broker fees and shipping add about $400 to the price. I've lost access to the help and shop space I would have gotten on doing the Koni cut-a-struts, so they're seeming less practical, and the $150-200 set of 4 suspension assemblies is gone from the Yahoo Japan auctions as well so I'd have it up on jack stands the whole time I'm trying not to gently caress up cutting the strut and printing replacement rubber parts.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well I got several hundred feet with a rebuilt vf52 before it poo poo itself. Shop that installed it says wasn't balanced properly, guy who built it says no oil/oil starved. FML

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello Subaru thread. Two dumb questions for you. 2014 WRX.

1) Had my winter tires swapped off and they noticed that one tire has much more wear than the others. Seems odd, because we have probably driven like.... maybe 8k miles on these, tops? They are Blizzak WS80s. I guess they're also 6 years old, but still, seems odd to me for 8k miles. And they've been swapped every year with summer tires, so you'd think they would have been accidentally rotated at the very least? Anything I should be concerned about that would cause one tire to be significantly more worn than others?

2) I seem to be having recurring problems where the wheel bolts (lug nut studs?) are breaking off when my tires are being swapped on/off. Different tire swap places each time. One broke last time my tires got swapped, one broke this time, and it sounds like there might be 1-2 more that should be looked at. Is this a common problem when you're swapping tires for the seasons? I grew up where it wasn't necessary, but never had a problem with it before. From what I understand it happens when the tires aren't put on correctly/carefully. Anything I can or should do to reduce the chance of this happening? [edit: thought I should add, no salt here, but the roads are poo poo and I inevitably end up hitting some nasty potholes fairly frequently.]

~*Thanks Subaru Thread*~

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 9, 2021

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

2) I seem to be having recurring problems where the wheel bolts (lug nut studs?) are breaking off when my tires are being swapped on/off. Different tire swap places each time. One broke last time my tires got swapped, one broke this time, and it sounds like there might be 1-2 more that should be looked at. Is this a common problem when you're swapping tires for the seasons?
No. Somebody messed up somewhere.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

No. Somebody messed up somewhere.

Hmm... that's what I thought. Thanks.

I took it to the dealer, which I don't normally do, because it had some recall work that needed to be done and they were the ones who noted the issue the first time. I'm wondering if they broke the one bolt taking it off and then put everything back on wrong. This was the next time I got my tires swapped after that and these new tire swap folks noticed the issue.

Frustrating. I'm going to go to a new mechanic that I've heard good things about and have them check out all the lug nut studs and I guess replace all the ones that look damaged. Not exactly cheap work I don't think.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It should be pretty easy. I've replaced several on my Outback. You can just pop them out with a sledge.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Hmm... that's what I thought. Thanks.

I took it to the dealer, which I don't normally do, because it had some recall work that needed to be done and they were the ones who noted the issue the first time. I'm wondering if they broke the one bolt taking it off and then put everything back on wrong. This was the next time I got my tires swapped after that and these new tire swap folks noticed the issue.

Frustrating. I'm going to go to a new mechanic that I've heard good things about and have them check out all the lug nut studs and I guess replace all the ones that look damaged. Not exactly cheap work I don't think.

This happened to me after my car got broken into and had enough damage to submit an insurance claim. The "authorized" shop recommended by the insurance company used an impact and completely hosed all 20 lugs and stretched them all. I had to use a breaker to get them off. I switch wheels multiple times a year and one by one they started cross threading or snapping lugs. I finally said gently caress it and replaced them all instead of wondering if I'll be able to change a wheel on the side of the road.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Seriously considering trading in my civic si coupe for a 3.6R outback circa 2015ish. I would go for the xt onyx, but they’re all still about 30k around me. Need something that can haul a lot, do some light off-roading, and zip around at a decent clip.

Do folks in the thread like these models? Any common issues I should be aware of? A stage 1 tune worth it at all?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 10, 2021

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would see if you can get a 10-14 3.6R instead. It has the 5 speed auto and not the CVT. The only thing I've changed on my 13 is the shocks/struts, and maintenance parts.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

having driven a prius for years, i dont get the hand-wringing about cvts. i mean, yeah, the prius is boring as gently caress, but i don't see how it'd be any less boring if the vroomvroom noises changed pitch in a different pattern. what am i missing here

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Prius doesn't use a belt/cone CVT. Subaru does. The Prius also has one of the most proven drivetrains. Subaru's CVT is very expensive to replace when it dies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

having driven a prius for years, i dont get the hand-wringing about cvts. i mean, yeah, the prius is boring as gently caress, but i don't see how it'd be any less boring if the vroomvroom noises changed pitch in a different pattern. what am i missing here

It's not about the vroom vroom noises, it's about how most CVTs are hot garbage that break frequently and will explode if you even park in the same driveway with a trailer. A Prius transmission shares almost nothing with pretty much every other CVT you'll hear people talking about.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Wrar posted:

I would see if you can get a 10-14 3.6R instead. It has the 5 speed auto and not the CVT. The only thing I've changed on my 13 is the shocks/struts, and maintenance parts.

OEM suspension parts or something aftermarket?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I put Bilstein B8s on because the originals were done, and I like the extra body control. It does transmit some of the smaller stuff, but it handles the bigger bumps way better.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Wrar posted:

I have a '12 with the 5AT and I haven't had any major issues.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wrar posted:

The Prius doesn't use a belt/cone CVT. Subaru does. The Prius also has one of the most proven drivetrains. Subaru's CVT is very expensive to replace when it dies.

ah ok i didn't know there were other types beyond belt and cone

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Prius CVT is some planetary gear system, nothing at all like most CVTs on the market. It's legit good, unlike a lot of the scaled up lawn mower transmissions.

Stick for life, or until I can't buy clutch parts anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Didn't Toyota just come out with a new CVT with the launch gear thing..... jesus, was it only last year? I have lost all concept of time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No idea but I'm sure it's a decade ahead of most competitors. I haven't kept up with poo poo in a decade or more, but I remember watching a couple videos and reading a few articles about their PSD transmission a long time ago, and it looked like an engineering wet dream.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know why its so hard to find a clean copy of their internal video, so please excuse the entirely unnecessary epic movie trailer music.

https://youtu.be/tUVsH1zDzV0

That's apparently their new CVT going forward, and it looks incredibly compact.

EE video: https://youtu.be/HanImTejIVM

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 11, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CVT's are so dogshit off the standing start that Toyota had to put a gear in to make it less garbage. Let that sink in.

Wrar posted:

quote:

Prius CVT is some planetary gear system

Toyota CVT's are the same type of variable cone and belt system like a Subaru - the difference is that Subaru used a chain for the belt. If anything the chain is more robust that the belt and Subaru put their CVT's into higher powered cars

- Subaru V-drive internals

Toyota internals

quote:

No idea but I'm sure it's a decade ahead of most competitors.

Subaru are actually one of the best at building CVT's and all of that really is just saying all CVT's are absolute crap that should never have been put into cars in the first place.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't understand used WRX prices, you're essentially better off just buying one brand new one. I wouldn't want one modded to poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Toyota CVT's are the same type of variable cone and belt system like a Subaru - the difference is that Subaru used a chain for the belt. If anything the chain is more robust that the belt and Subaru put their CVT's into higher powered cars

There's a HUGE difference between the CVT Toyota puts in their regular cars, and what goes into their hybrids. The Prius CVT does use a weird planetary setup between the two motors + the engine, and one of those motors also acts as a starter. It's a "power split device" in Toyota lingo.

It's very rare for a Prius transaxle to fail. Not unheard of, but they're well known for making it 500k+ miles with the bare minimum of maintenance.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

infraboy posted:

I don't understand used WRX prices, you're essentially better off just buying one brand new one. I wouldn't want one modded to poo poo.

Mine is only lightly modded I'll cut you a deal.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

It’s basically the state car of Connecticut, and they hold their value to an absurd degree. like an 05 with 200k miles and multiple past accidents will sell for $10k+.

e: Has anyone here installed the STI rear sway bar on an outback? how did it affect the handling?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 11, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

There's a HUGE difference between the CVT Toyota puts in their regular cars, and what goes into their hybrids. The Prius CVT does use a weird planetary setup between the two motors + the engine, and one of those motors also acts as a starter. It's a "power split device" in Toyota lingo.

The PSD is not a CVT. It might achieve something of the same effect but this is a time to be pedantic and not call it part of the satanic abomination that has been cursing cars lately

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I mean i'm in California and a relatively local dealer has one for ~29k on the sticker

https://www.hanselsubaru.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/subaru?vin=JF1VA1A67L9834154

and then you have this

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/santa-rosa-2016-wrx-limited/7305060565.html

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I always like when people think mods add value to a used car when the opposite is true.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ha, salvage title.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

net work error posted:

Mine is only lightly modded I'll cut you a deal.

lady driven, all highway miles, only tasteful modifications

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
05 Legacy GT. Replacing sloppy shifter u-joint.

Is it possible to do this with the torque solutions solid u joint without taking out the roll pin? It’s pretty mushroomed over and probably needs to be drilled out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Had fun trying to seperate the bearing cartridge from the upright today. You know it's going well when the entire upright is out.

Had to bring them to a shop to seperate them. I used penetrating fluid, heat, mallet and crowbar, slide hammer. Nothing worked. Thanks New England.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

05 Outback, EZ30, has developed a new electrical issue that affects braking - stay tuned!

(This is going to take a while to write up and I just need a beer right now. Will hopefully get time tomorrow buy car's odd the road... again.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Progress: I found a SVX in a junkyard and pulled what look like good front struts, I ran out of time to get the CV axle and power steering pump.

While I was looking through the interior looking to see if there was anything I needed I thought "Weird that they pulled off the gear lever boot and knob thing, but I guess it's a unique looking knob so maybe someone wanted it for their automatic car." Then I thought "You know, that doesn't really look like an automatic selector." Then I looked at the footwell and saw a third pedal. :catstare:

Wish me luck doing my first even transmission pull on my back in the dirt next week! I will have help, but hoo boy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question about rear axles, do they fail in the same way CV axles do or does their not turning side to side mean that they've got a different type of joint that's more resilient? The rear axles on my SVX haven't been made for God knows how long so I'm considering pulling the axles on this one in the junkyard to have for spares.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rears are also CV.

They are designed and move in space differently, but they're still CV joints.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, wasn't sure if it was some different kind of joint.

I haven't seen one fail on my Impreza yet, but since the ones for the SVX are NLA, maybe I should pull them from this junkyard car just to be safe.

E: While I'm at it, does anyone (jamal) know of a transplanted sway bar setup for a '99 Impreza wagon that would reduce understeer? Looks like for that I want to increase the rear sway bar stiffness relative to the front. From a page on NASIOC I found it looks like I can get '02-'09 WRX or STI sway bars on it although I would then apparently need to get the lateral links from the WRX/STI as well. Is that the front or rear lateral link, because if it's rear then that's not happening, I spent drat near a week trying to get those off last year and I'm not going through that again. I'm pretty sure I would need to take a sawzall or angle grinder to the bolts to get them off, and even then for the driver's side I would have to drop the exhaust to get room to put the bolt in.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 19, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rear lateral. A 22mm should work for what you want tho if anything swapping to a 05 WRX suspension (springs /struts) straight out will give you more benefit overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, wasn't sure if it was some different kind of joint.

I haven't seen one fail on my Impreza yet, but since the ones for the SVX are NLA, maybe I should pull them from this junkyard car just to be safe.

E: While I'm at it, does anyone (jamal) know of a transplanted sway bar setup for a '99 Impreza wagon that would reduce understeer? Looks like for that I want to increase the rear sway bar stiffness relative to the front. From a page on NASIOC I found it looks like I can get '02-'09 WRX or STI sway bars on it although I would then apparently need to get the lateral links from the WRX/STI as well. Is that the front or rear lateral link, because if it's rear then that's not happening, I spent drat near a week trying to get those off last year and I'm not going through that again. I'm pretty sure I would need to take a sawzall or angle grinder to the bolts to get them off, and even then for the driver's side I would have to drop the exhaust to get room to put the bolt in.

at this point you could give some serious consideration to making an offer on the junkyard SVX and have it towed home as a parts car