Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Wonder what kind of legal battleground this will lead to. Would it be completely out of the question, that some players can just terminate their contracts, if they face being expelled from their national team and so on?

Either way, not a fan of this. At all. CL is already leaning so loving hard into the big clubs in the big leagues, that if they dont make CL it's because they are proper poo poo. Respect to loving Arsenal and Spurs for somehow getting into that group of clubs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Woodenlung posted:

Wonder what kind of legal battleground this will lead to. Would it be completely out of the question, that some players can just terminate their contracts, if they face being expelled from their national team and so on?

Either way, not a fan of this. At all. CL is already leaning so loving hard into the big clubs in the big leagues, that if they dont make CL it's because they are proper poo poo. Respect to loving Arsenal and Spurs for somehow getting into that group of clubs lol

bc it's nothing to do with form and everything to do with cash

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/City_Chief/status/1384122642056183812?s=20

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FullLeatherJacket posted:

glazers bad but also sky bad and lol forever at them openly propagandizing against someone else doing the thing that they did and killing their business model
What's so heartbreaking about this is that every side is a fucker. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the schadenfreude of some of these fuckers coming out losers while at the same time calling the winners cunts.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

the modern world is retarded

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm out of the loop but is the idea behind the super league just a way for the rich clubs to still have tv revenue coming in when they're not good enough in the CL etc?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm out of the loop but is the idea behind the super league just a way for the rich clubs to still have tv revenue coming in when they're not good enough in the CL etc?

The idea is the rich clubs just get more revenue, period.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why would a broadcast company want to pay more for a comp with less interesting games?? Absolutely baffling. The CL was already too much ffs.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384126392623714310?s=20

Well I guess that is one way of making Qatar 2022 more of a farce.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Jose posted:

Fully relegate all of them now for bringing the game.into disrepute for maximum lols

Newcastle fans getting desperate.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1384127092426641413?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

military cervix posted:

Well there it is. Now things get interesting. Wonder how much of that JPMC money will be for stuffing in suitcases for cash bribes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

military cervix posted:

Hahahaha. This is becoming a bigger shitfest by the hour.

Clubs that are publicly listed all rallied today on this ESL news, aka more investors buying. I mean business wise it makes sense unless the fans really follow through with their backlash which they often don't.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 19, 2021

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bape Culture posted:

Why would a broadcast company want to pay more for a comp with less interesting games?? Absolutely baffling. The CL was already too much ffs.
I don't know if there will be less interesting games because the "big" clubs usually play 2-4 boring games already against shite teams every year. Possible solution: Get rid of the pointless group stage so there's excitement from start to finish - with some funny outcomes and meltdowns. UEFA would not allow it though because that means less money.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Just make it all home and home knockouts, random draw.

Or at least that's what the Europa league should've done instead of following the champions league bloat strategy

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It’s impressively extra evil that they chose this moment to announce this as teams are trying to finish out their season without making GBS threads the bed, Champions/Europa League finals, playoffs of all sorts, etc

Maximum chaos

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Empress Brosephine posted:

They get 1) up front investment capital from JP Morgan, 2) a larger share of a larger tv money pot than the CL offers because it's more games, split between fewer teams, and 3) less potential volatility as that lion's share of their revenue isn't dependent on performance (which means they have less incentive to bring in the best possible players, managers etc.). From an investor standpoint it's a fantastic idea as long as you don't believe that domestic competitions will have the balls to remove those clubs, or that customers will find it boring and the super league will see dwindling tv and sponsorship deals over time.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1384131540947374087

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I mean from a business perspective it is not hard to understand that top teams would prefer to play against Arsenal rather than Shakhtar Donetsk every year.

Edit: Removed "other" from "other top teams", so as to not imply anything about Arsenal.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 19, 2021

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

That's extra funny as Ceferin is the godfather to Agenllis child

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

ilmucche posted:

Or at least that's what the Europa league should've done instead of following the champions league bloat strategy

This is one of my dumb hobby-horses that no-one likes or cares about (like all of my posting), but the old European Cup format was bad then and would be worse now despite old men's nostalgia. Brian Clough won two of them essentially by battering teams from countries that don't exist any more and then beating Malmo (which I think still exists, but I'm not going there to check) in the final.

The Champions League format isn't inherently bad, it just needs to be balanced and weighted sensibly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is one of my dumb hobby-horses that no-one likes or cares about (like all of my posting), but the old European Cup format was bad then and would be worse now despite old men's nostalgia. Brian Clough won two of them essentially by battering teams from countries that don't exist any more and then beating Malmo (which I think still exists, but I'm not going there to check) in the final.

The Champions League format isn't inherently bad, it just needs to be balanced and weighted sensibly.

I think the champions league can stay as it is, but europa league is a joke anyway so let it be chaos.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ilmucche posted:

This already got removed because of the big clubs crying that they wouldn't get a second chance after a freak result against a bunch of Norwegians, no way would they let it back. The 'shitload of boring mismatched games' problem is a direct result of the 'give us more shots to qualify to the latter stages' requests of the larger clubs, it's incredibly loving hypocritical of them to use that as a reason the competition is bad now.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Malmo (which I think still exists, but I'm not going there to check) in the final.

All I know is that it's where Zlatan got his start.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CAZZIDIS!!!!!

Also I know we’re all in agreement here but can we appreciate the irony of a UEFA executive calling someone else a snake and a liar

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vando posted:

This already got removed because of the big clubs crying that they wouldn't get a second chance after a freak result against a bunch of Norwegians, no way would they let it back. The 'shitload of boring mismatched games' problem is a direct result of the 'give us more shots to qualify to the latter stages' requests of the larger clubs, it's incredibly loving hypocritical of them to use that as a reason the competition is bad now.

Didn’t the CL start because one year Napoli drew Real Madrid in the very first round, which pissed off Florentino Perez even though Madrid won that tie?

Also I’m not saying, but I’m just saying, that people from my city warned you about how horrible Stan Kroenke is and that he would ruin everything you love for the chance to make a dollar

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Extremely casual Premier League follower here: does this mean the teams from each of these leagues (PL, etc.) are splintering off to form their own international league or are Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, etc. staying put and this is just another international tournament which grinds the PL season to a halt for a couple weeks each season?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I'm assuming European Super League! will be out on all platforms but I can't seem to find a pre-order anywhere.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Extremely casual Premier League follower here: does this mean the teams from each of these leagues (PL, etc.) are splintering off to form their own international league or are Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, etc. staying put and this is just another international tournament which grinds the PL season to a halt for a couple weeks each season?

this just replaces the weekday matches they'd spend getting knocked out of the EL and CL

they will(hope to) stay in their domestic leagues

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

its like a replacement for the champions league, except the member clubs cannot be excluded from it ever, and probably get a much bigger share of the revenue pie.

what'll be interesting is if the current corrupt powers go through with their threats and kick the member clubs out of all the other leagues and competitions as punishment for starting their own corrupt thing, thus winning, but ending football

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how many seasons until esl introduces ad breaks every quarter hour

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd bet a lot the staying in domestic leagues thing is a ~5 year plan while the super league gets established though.

After that it will be a move to a fully walled-off European franchise league.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CBJSprague24 posted:

their preference is for it to replace the existing midweek Champions League (essentially a Champions League but certain teams are guaranteed a place), but as an inevitability everyone else has basically said that the door will be closed behind them and it'll be treated as a full breakaway from existing competitions including for FIFA national team eligibility

how much of that will hold and how much of that is executives playing chicken with one another is a separate question

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Weedle posted:

how many seasons until esl introduces ad breaks every quarter hour

Ad breaks every ten minutes, and the NFL innovation of constantly showing the team ownership during the game while praising them will be introduced as well.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

CAZZIDIS!!!!!

Also I know we’re all in agreement here but can we appreciate the irony of a UEFA executive calling someone else a snake and a liar

He's the godfather of Agnellis kid too. This poo poo is an hbo drama

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Premier League is stuck because they're just as greedy and corrupt as the breakaways and don't actually want to do what's "good for the game/fans", their main interest is in trying to protect their current revenue which means keeping the breakaways in the league, likely with even more concessions down the road.

Clean break needed. Fingers crossed some fiery Euro nutters escalate the drama further.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

I think the old format was closer to being perfect than the format we have now. It would be far more exciting as a smaller more condensed tournament with tougher qualification. It's like how a 48 team world cup loses a lot of luster simply through bloat creating a huge number of ultimately pointless games and inevitably burn out.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Flayer posted:

48 team world cup

The what now? Next you will be tell me the Euro finals are now 32 teams.

I honestly think Uefa are shooting themselves by offering to ban players from internationals. The owners are probably delighted at this outcome.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Collateral posted:

The what now? Next you will be tell me the Euro finals are now 32 teams.

I honestly think Uefa are shooting themselves by offering to ban players from internationals. The owners are probably delighted at this outcome.

Its to force the Players Union to take action likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

their preference is for it to replace the existing midweek Champions League (essentially a Champions League but certain teams are guaranteed a place), but as an inevitability everyone else has basically said that the door will be closed behind them and it'll be treated as a full breakaway from existing competitions including for FIFA national team eligibility

how much of that will hold and how much of that is executives playing chicken with one another is a separate question

It's a shame that scheduling midweek league games for the same weeks this trash is supposed to be played would punish non-breakaway clubs as well