Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

Yeah I just threw fire/dark balls from range and otherwise used one fire and one dark sword. You're still mostly a melee guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
When I did a pyromancer, I beelined for the Onyx Blade in Ashes of Ariandel.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just looked it up and gently caress, next to Quelaag’s Furyblade that’s the most pyromancer-rear end weapon I’ve seen.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
PSA: don't go rolling into fake walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMel5tmFcGQ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao :darksouls:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

Basically. Pick a weapon you're comfortable with, raw it, and hit it with Carthus Flame Arc until you have some candidates for Dark/Chaos infusions. All the cool pyromancy weapons are gated behind DLC. You can try to suicide run Wilhelm if you want the Onyx Blade early, most Ariandel mobs are easy to dodge.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Exact same thing happened to me in the same spot. It looks like the floor under that illusionary wall doesn't spawn until the animation is done, so there's a bit of time where the wall is gone but there's no floor underneath.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Smol posted:

When I did a pyromancer, I beelined for the Onyx Blade in Ashes of Ariandel.

Yeah, it's this. Onyx Blade and maybe the Moonlight GS if you pump more int than faith. The only other practical weapon is the longsword with an infusion.
I found myself not using weapons at all by mid game and just using the fast cast chime in my offhand while chucking either choas fireball or dark fireball. In PvP though you pretty much have to use a weapon since every spell but black serpent is so incredibly predictable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dark claymore is better than onyx blade except in style points

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

This specific pitch laugh cracks me up every time

It's just so sudden lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Dark claymore is better than onyx blade except in style points
it has a bit less range and onyx blades' buff WA can let it do more damage.
At base physical stats and 40/40 int/faith, Dark claymore is 175/409 phys/dark(585 total), and onyx blade is 154/368 phys/dark(522 total). Not a huge difference and then onyx blade WA adds 145 flat fire damage. Dark claymore can't be buffed at all so which one does more damage will depend on enemy resists(and it's easy to apply onyx blade buff since it's fast and r1s combo into it in pvp).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just finished a second playthrough on NG+ years later and

1) finally killed that fucker Midir thanks to help from someone who brought the mist
2) still got some people for Spear of the Church, which was fun. the first time I did the DLC, it was just some afk person so I hacked them to death pretty quick.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
One of my favourite area transitions is the bridge where you meet Midir being the middle of the night and then you go inside and up a few stairs and it's all sunshine with the bridge slightly below you.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Pontiff Sulyvahn had lots of co-op action this weekend, which made me a happy person. Such a good fight and music combination. Every time the second phase kicks in, I'm just like YES, YES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDojyuOylQ

someone insisted on bringing three sunbros to one of the fights, which finally put me on the *good* side of some lag where I could hit the boss but he couldn't hit me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m glad that after like four freaking FromSoft games they brought back “prison level” from Demon’s Souls, complete with gargoyle miniboss at the end. I guess Hypoenon Gaol is a prison but it’s not quite the same oppressive atmosphere.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Last Celebration posted:

I’m glad that after like four freaking FromSoft games they brought back “prison level” from Demon’s Souls, complete with gargoyle miniboss at the end. I guess Hypoenon Gaol is a prison but it’s not quite the same oppressive atmosphere.

Tower of Latria - One of the best and most atmospheric levels in any of their games. Extremely thematically consistent and full of surprises and gameplay shakeups.
Hypogean Gaol - Super spooky, a unique in the series ambient evil chanting music, and a very unique and memorable entrance if you arrive via a Snatcher in the first half of the game.
Irithyll Dungeon - Resorts to literal jumpscares on item pickups to make up for the DS2 lighting and boring level design. One of the worst levels in DS3 in my opinion, although Smouldering Lake still takes that dubious crown overall.

Demon's Souls has the best jail levels, the best castle levels, best swamp levels... Out of the level templates they repeatedly returned to, they got a lot right the first time.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Big Bizness posted:

Irithyll Dungeon - Resorts to literal jumpscares on item pickups to make up for the DS2 lighting and boring level design. One of the worst levels in DS3 in my opinion, although Smouldering Lake still takes that dubious crown overall.

Those loving screams are so stupid. I hate them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sinner's Rise is superior to Irithyll Dungeon because the jail is about 50 feet long and has a cool boss at the end of it. Also if you invade there it's easy to punch people off the little ledge leading to the boss

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're not even factoring in the life drain nonsense.

I love these games too much and theres too little else really worthy any time outside them in the current gaming climate so I never judge them too harshly. Off the top of my head I can scarcely conjure an area where I'd go "oh no not this poo poo again", though I do always get hosed up and inevitably die by fall various times when getting down into blighttown

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

codo27 posted:

You're not even factoring in the life drain nonsense.

I love these games too much and theres too little else really worthy any time outside them in the current gaming climate so I never judge them too harshly. Off the top of my head I can scarcely conjure an area where I'd go "oh no not this poo poo again", though I do always get hosed up and inevitably die by fall various times when getting down into blighttown

Totally agreed. Even my biggest criticisms of any title in the series should come with a giant asterisk with your post attached - even at their worst they are still leagues beyond most other games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Smoldering lake and the demon ruins are such terrible areas

Like I had to look up a walkthrough for the intended path through the stupid levels because apparently I've been going in through the exit and doing the level backwards for years??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KingSlime posted:

Smoldering lake and the demon ruins are such terrible areas

Like I had to look up a walkthrough for the intended path through the stupid levels because apparently I've been going in through the exit and doing the level backwards for years??

I did Painted World in DS1 the other day and died probably 20 times going down the well to driftu skeletons before I remembered that I could go the other way and kite them all out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of skeletons, did the bonewheeels always do the Akira drift, or is that new? And umm, why does Lloyd’s Talisman put mimics to sleep? Is there a lore reason for that I missed or just a weirdass Easter egg throughout all three games?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Those sleepy mimic sounds are :discourse:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a game with skeletons where they aren't one of the biggest poo poo cunts ever? I mean as far back as Golden Axe, they are just bull ding every time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

codo27 posted:

Is there a game with skeletons where they aren't one of the biggest poo poo cunts ever? I mean as far back as Golden Axe, they are just bull ding every time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Big Bizness posted:

Demon's Souls has the best jail levels, the best castle levels, best swamp levels... Out of the level templates they repeatedly returned to, they got a lot right the first time.

Gotta agree. The remixes are cool but the originals just knocked it out of the park.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

codo27 posted:

They're push-overs in Diablo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your idea of a game with no bastard skeleton fights is ... Undertale?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

multijoe posted:

I legit forgot there even was a Sans fight lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

Sans is the toughest boss in the game and though you can go on a date with Papyrus, he dumps you. So yeah, they're bastard skeletons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The life drain in the dungeon is actually a good mechanic. the jumpscare screams are incredibly dumb though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I now understand the thread title :)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

We’re proud of you veeg!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

VideoGames posted:

Awesome job! That area you co-oped was the right way to do it. Someone in the chat mentioned it was getting ridiculous. When I went through I just ran like a maniac after spending way too much time getting owned by the knights.

FROM really went ham with all fast enemies that hit like a truck.

What did you think of Midir?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

War Wizard posted:

They're push-overs in Diablo.

Yeah what about those fuckin mages and archers when you're still a gimp early on?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Also, watching it back RE patches and why I love him - he is the one who shows you the way forward, and punishes the greed of men, but at the same time he shows you the way forward to your destiny by utilising your greed. He is essentially a Buddhist god who makes it until the end of time with you. He was always, really, your friend in every game.

:edit: everyone on the chat is saying exactly the same as I was typing it so oh well. Patches is the ying to your yang. There’s also a theory that patches is Miyazaki personified in game which I love.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

The life drain in the dungeon is actually a good mechanic. the jumpscare screams are incredibly dumb though

Are they really meant to be jumpscare screams so much as “lol get hosed” screams? They’re not very scary after the first time when it’s only one zombie ambushing you but I knew ahead of time that there was one near the profaned capital exit from doing coop and still couldn’t trigger it from attacking it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Last Celebration posted:

Are they really meant to be jumpscare screams so much as “lol get hosed” screams? They’re not very scary after the first time when it’s only one zombie ambushing you but I knew ahead of time that there was one near the profaned capital exit from doing coop and still couldn’t trigger it from attacking it.
not sure what you mean by "attacking it", I'm talking about the item jumpscares in a couple places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWM_ngpY1w
and of course they're not very scary, jumpscares never are. they're just startling and annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

not sure what you mean by "attacking it", I'm talking about the item jumpscares in a couple places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWM_ngpY1w
and of course they're not very scary, jumpscares never are. they're just startling and annoying

I’m completely on the “jump scares are scary train” - I have never finished RESI 7 and got literally less than 2 minutes into the first Maiden demo before I noped out and deleted it.