Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FilthyImp posted:

Amazingly, spectacularly, it's because it's an easy way to get teens to identify with a character.

Astonishing, I know.
You'd think so, but this notion might be a bit overstated. I remember when Civil War came out, sure a lot of older viewers were excited to see a fresh take on Spidey, but a lot of younger viewers actually found him irritating and liked the adult Avengers more.

It's the "child Power Ranger" phenomenon. Sure, kids like watching kids do things, but they don't like watching kids be "the kid"; childish, inexperienced, comic relief, so on so forth. They're gonna relate more to the adult characters in that case. So in popular stories that kids actually imprint on like Harry Potter or AtLA, the child characters aren't relegated to being "the child characters" and are given the same dramatic gravitas as adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FilthyImp posted:

Amazingly, spectacularly, it's because it's an easy way to get teens to identify with a character.

Astonishing, I know.

No, teens want Spider-Man to be the same age as they sad dads, the same age and weight as me

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Astonishing, I know.

Amazing. Spectacular, even.

Web of.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
When I was a kid I despised kid characters because they were just in the way of the cool adults

"hm yes I definitely want to be reminded of school all teh time in my escapism"

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 18, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Amazing. Spectacular, even.

Web of.
Ultimately, it doesn't hurt Marvel to get Spidey in as a pipeline to the rest of the films for younger kids.

Too bad Runaways and Cloak & Dagger were so.... yeah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, Cloak and Dagger was great

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FilthyImp posted:

Too bad Runaways and Cloak & Dagger were so.... yeah

Hey, hey, Cloak & Dagger was good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah but it got dropped rather unceremoniously and there wasn't any attempt to snowball it into a bigger set (guess that's what Ms. MARVEL will be for)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Parker being a loser university student. What I don't want is a Parker who is a functional adult and married. He should be good as being Spider-Man and bad at being Peter Parker.

When I was younger, I loved seeing Spider-Man with the Avengers, because he was elevated outside of his normal street level world, and he was running with the big dogs and seeing their approval was fantastic. That being said, when it happens all the time its not special. Spidy getting his own team of spider-heroes would be a good way to have him have his own place.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

And people hated that scene in ASM where in Oscorp there's an entire wall of gizmos from Spider-man villains that might appear in a later film. Parts of ASM and ASM 2 really felt like they were in there specifically to please that one idiot in the leaked Sony emails who thought there should be 2 Spider-man movies a year because Spider-man movies make more money than all the non Spider-man movies so why are we even making those other ones?

Wasn't the rationale for that scene there going to be a Sinister Six movie at one point? Not even with Spider-Man?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't the rationale for that scene there going to be a Sinister Six movie at one point? Not even with Spider-Man?
Something like that

quote:

In December 2013, Sony announced two spin-offs of The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, The Sinister Six and Venom, with Drew Goddard attached to write and direct The Sinister Six. Throughout the live-action film The Amazing Spider-Man 2, a line-up for the team was teased. During the end credits, weapons/technology belonging to Rhino, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, Mysterio, and Kraven the Hunter were revealed, confirming them as members, with the Green Goblin serving as the leader. However, this line-up is left to be debated as Goddard stated he wanted to adopt a more classic adaptation of the group which would have included Sandman and Doc Ock as the leader. The film was said to be a redemption story for the characters, and would probably not feature Spider-Man. As the Sinister Six's original goal, however, was to kill him, there would seem to be a chance that he would appear.[54][55][56][57] The film was originally scheduled for release on November 11, 2016. However, after the announcement in February 2015 of a new Spider-Man franchise with Marvel Studios, the spin-offs were postponed and eventually canceled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinister_Six#Film

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1384129985712033800?s=20
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1384134731567038475?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 19, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

drat that looks awesome.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 19, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Know practically nothing about Shang-Chi but that looks tons of fun.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know anything about Shang-Chi but it looks like a cool ride.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Looks dope. Looks like a good mix between the big Marvel CG set piece stuff and nuts and bolts hand to hand choreography.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, I don't know how some of those big battle shots tie in with the story but that whole thing looked pretty cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Razor Fist makes his long awaited debut in the MCU. Beware Razor Fist.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

X-O posted:

Is he friends with Taserface?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw yeah. I hope they have a scene to finally answer the question that has haunted me these last 35 years...

..just how does Razorfist go to the bathroom?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

X-O posted:

Feige carefully and painstakingly setting up the Number One Fan Cinematic Universe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw yeah. I hope they have a scene to finally answer the question that has haunted me these last 35 years...

..just how does Razorfist go to the bathroom?

He has a cult of angsty self-mutilating followers who help him with it. In return, he cuts them with such precision that it doesn't leave scars.

At least that was the explanation in the Toxin miniseries.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

It looks okay. A lot more action set pieces and a lot less martial arts than I was hoping for. Especially after that Mortal Kombat trailer that’s just wall to wall rear end kicking, but hopefully it leans more towards the fights in the actual movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looks cool imo

The final joke wasnt funny tho

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That looks rad

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm team This is Rad.

:krad:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, one thing I don't really get from that teaser as someone with no exposure to Shang-Chi as a character is whether or not Shang-Chi has powers? It kind of seems from what we saw that he's just, like, a guy?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This looks like everything Iron Fist should have been. I'm down for it.

I hope we get a cameo by Ben Kingsley somewhere in there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Afaik shang chi is just really loving good at kicking people's asses

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

site posted:

Though Stark is dead, I hope somewhere down the line we get, "If Shang Chi is a living weapon... what happens when we make him weapons?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arist posted:

Anyway, one thing I don't really get from that teaser as someone with no exposure to Shang-Chi as a character is whether or not Shang-Chi has powers? It kind of seems from what we saw that he's just, like, a guy?

Shang-Chi is just a guy. Although this movie seems to be leaning hard into the Ten Rings having powers and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie ends with Shang-Chi in possession of them. In the comics there's not really anything that ties them together except for an out of continuity mini series during Secret Wars which this movie actually might be drawing some things from it looks like.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arist posted:

Traditionally, Shang-Chi can martial arts so hard that he's borderline magic; like, he doesn't technically have super-strength or super-speed, but he can fight people who do have those things and win. For example, he once beat up spider-man, partly because he figured out how to anticipate Spider-man's spider-sense and trick it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's a good week for cinematic martial artists named Shang.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

site posted:

They made him into a multiple man at some point, didn't they?

Trailer looks good. I've never been a big fan of Shang Chi in the comics, but the concept has potential that the trailer seems to be digging into well

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I could do without a "Who *are* you?" beat in these movies. I thought that kind of thing went out in the early 2000s.

Looks cool otherwise, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like Awkwafina a whole lot and am glad to see her in this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like Awkwafina a whole lot and am glad to see her in this.
She has, by miles, the worst stage name of all time

I've had little interest in this movie and I don't think that really changed for me with this trailer. I'm not a big martial arts fan tbh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

She has, by miles, the worst stage name of all time

It worked when she was a YouTube comedian doing stuff like Franky Avalon parodies, but I'm kind of surprised she kept it when she got past that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think she's used it every time. Depends on the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

I don't think she's used it every time. Depends on the project.

She used it for The Farewell which is probably her most serious work to date.