Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Medullah posted:

I actually think I got as far in as they let us. I got two seals, and there was a gate that was locked with two circles on it, but it wouldn't let me use them so I'm wondering if that's a deliberate gatekeeping mechanic, no pun intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXEch7-SpZ0

You were at the wrong gate at the end. The one you use the crests on is the one you look at at 7:56 in your video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Presteign posted:

You were at the wrong gate at the end. The one you use the crests on is the one you look at at 7:56 in your video.

Yeah, but I had one of them at the time and it wouldn't let me use it. Or so I thought. I knew it was the wrong one at the time which is why you see the panicked pause and look at timer as I turned around heh.

Edit - Bah yep you're right. I was mis-remembering.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
1 min left. gonna play it gently caress it. might just do the village for 15 then the castle or hmm

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this game looks like it suffers the same problem as RE7-- might as well not use guns for all the good they appear to do to enemies. no hit animation. hopefully bosses aren't just well-crafted scripted events like the last game too

Between this and the controls (from what I can glean from video footage anyhow) not being any less stiff, I’m gonna pass on 8. I was hoping that it’d be a radical departure from 7 even as it maintained a lot of superficial elements, but it seems I’d be disappointed if I went into it expecting that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

1 min left. gonna play it gently caress it. might just do the village for 15 then the castle or hmm

This one is Village only. Next week is Castle only. Week after that is whichever you want to do.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao this is re4. even has you shooting sparking things to pick up treasure.

also i played it with raytracing on and the framerate is fine and seemed like a solid 60 like the other demo. so 45 your rear end

beat it in 26 mins and i guess.... the actual village is ...small as gently caress? i already met all the village characters and entered the path to the castle. they go the way you were expecting

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao this is re4. even has you shooting sparking things to pick up treasure.

also i played it with raytracing on and the framerate is fine and seemed like a solid 60 like the other demo. so 45 your rear end

beat it in 26 mins and i guess.... the actual village is ...small as gently caress? i already met all the village characters and entered the path to the castle. they go the way you were expecting

There were quite a few gates that I never opened in my playthrough, so either they rearranged items for the demo, or you come back to the village at some point. Did anyone find an item to operate the well mechanisms?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Between this and the controls (from what I can glean from video footage anyhow) not being any less stiff, I’m gonna pass on 8. I was hoping that it’d be a radical departure from 7 even as it maintained a lot of superficial elements, but it seems I’d be disappointed if I went into it expecting that.

Same, I'm excited to play the game because it's RE and I know I'll love it but definitely a wait for a sale for me. Basically every issue I had with RE7 would go away if the there was better damage/hit indication and if the scripted stuff was a little more flexible (again a feedback thing - just needed more animations and feedback so it'd be more obvious what to do). Definitely not picking up a PS5 just to play a demo a week and a half early if that's what they're getting at with this lol

I don't know, I don't necessarily expect to beat every boss the first time I fight one in every game but I felt like RE7 had a high amount of "how the gently caress was I was supposed to figure it out" where way later in the game it clicks that like oh yeah X small moment early on was meant to let me know about Y.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ymgve posted:

There were quite a few gates that I never opened in my playthrough, so either they rearranged items for the demo, or you come back to the village at some point. Did anyone find an item to operate the well mechanisms?

yeah good point, i forgot about the gates. i got distracted by the whole... house thing lol

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I can't believe the demos are 100% final version gameplay. It just makes more sense to me to put together a set-piece for the sake of a demo that's more-or-less going to be what you get when you play the full version.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I can't believe the demos are 100% final version gameplay. It just makes more sense to me to put together a set-piece for the sake of a demo that's more-or-less going to be what you get when you play the full version.

Now that you mention it I feel like Capcom's done this a lot since Dragon's Dogma. The demo just being "here's a chunk of the game's first act" so after you buy the game you can continue with your progress/save/stats/whatever from the demo instead of starting over. The REmake ones they did recently and RE7 demo are more the exception for them than the rule for them.

I think Kingdoms of Amalur was the first sorta $$$ to do that but can't remember if it or Dragon's Dogma was first.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's possible that it's based on an older version - there is the typical "still in development" disclaimer at the beginning, even though the game has gone gold at this point.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Before the pandemic, a lot of Capcom's first-look demos would end up being the same vertical slice that they used at trade shows like E3 earlier in the same year. That might also be the case here, that the timed public demo is the same curated chunk of the game they'd have used for E3 and PAX last year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know, I don't necessarily expect to beat every boss the first time I fight one in every game but I felt like RE7 had a high amount of "how the gently caress was I was supposed to figure it out" where way later in the game it clicks that like oh yeah X small moment early on was meant to let me know about Y.

Try the first Evil Within game if you want more of that loving experience.

I dunno though. I loved RE7 and don't remember a lot of cheesy bullshit with boss fights. :shrug: or certainly not any more than you'd typically face in a RE game anyways. The hardest ones were the chainsaw fight and the fight in the garage but neither one felt incredibly cheap.

If you're into getting completely hosed over and want to feel like there's some cheese about, try the original game where you could absolutely gently caress yourself into a corner that made it impossible to beat a boss at all due to ammo/health and would make you start completely over if you didn't have a proper save in the bank. I think on my first run, I slogged my all the way to the end but couldn't beat the final boss and simply started over.

I actually turbo hosed myself in RE2make while following a speed run. I was so pleased with myself and made it all the way to the end only with no way to kill the final boss in the allotted time frame and no options to unfuck myself out of not having enough ammo. I guess there's always the knife but...yeah no. I thought I could outlast the bastard and wait for a rocket launcher drop but it never came.

I still have that save loaded and can't beat it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Try the first Evil Within game if you want more of that loving experience.

I dunno though. I loved RE7 and don't remember a lot of cheesy bullshit with boss fights. :shrug: or certainly not any more than you'd typically face in a RE game anyways. The hardest ones were the chainsaw fight and the fight in the garage but neither one felt incredibly cheap.

If you're into getting completely hosed over and want to feel like there's some cheese about, try the original game where you could absolutely gently caress yourself into a corner that made it impossible to beat a boss at all due to ammo/health and would make you start completely over if you didn't have a proper save in the bank. I think on my first run, I slogged my all the way to the end but couldn't beat the final boss and simply started over.

I actually turbo hosed myself in RE2make while following a speed run. I was so pleased with myself and made it all the way to the end only with no way to kill the final boss in the allotted time frame and no options to unfuck myself out of not having enough ammo. I guess there's always the knife but...yeah no. I thought I could outlast the bastard and wait for a rocket launcher drop but it never came.

I still have that save loaded and can't beat it.

I mean I hated that in the original Resident Evil too believe me lol :D but RE1 was way more of an adventure game than anything like when it dropped I always thought of it in terms of like a Quest for Glory game or whatever so by the standards of those Sierra games it could be pretty merciful, but it still sucked. Plus that's a game from like 25 years ago and significantly shorter than RE7. I did like Silent Hill 1's solution for ammo during fights that where the final boss instantly dies when you run out of ammo.

The Evil Within 1 that's another game in the "this game is incredibly exactly my poo poo and would be an 11/10 experience for me if not for this one thing that drags it down"

I think my main problem with RE7's feeback thing was the molded were just so boring - especially for how they're made and the backstory for them? There's a ton of cool poo poo they could have done with how they move and work and react that wouldn't have spoiled the story or anything like that.

That and I wasn't even bothering to block for most of my first run just because so many of the attacks had a "there is no loving way you can block this" look to them. I know some of that is on me but I didn't think the game gave a lot of room for experimentation put such a big emphasis on hiding.

Evil Within 1 was slightly better overall to me just because when Evil Within 1 DOES click and you're taking advantage of all the stuff you can do and working with the traps and stuff it completely rules.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't mind the molded and thought that however boring they might be was overcome with how cool and different the overall game was. I don't play a lick of attention to the stories in any of these stupid games so whether it's a good story or a bad one means nothing to me. I kept forgetting to block (and use psycho stims) on my first run.

7 was the first game in the series for a while that had me tensing up again, getting lost and looking for save spots though like back in the old days and hit a good sweet spot for me between resources and scarcity. Real survival horror, which is probably my favorite genre. RE8 looks like a callback to RE4 which is fine by me. EW1 on the other hand, just had SO MANY cheap deaths in the way that you described. It was good enough to make me want to finish it and had a bad rear end atmosphere but gently caress every playing it again. I think I rage quit that game more than any in recent memory.

EW 2 owned and struck a perfect balance for me though. It FELT open world but was never overwhelming like RDR or games like the Witcher and Skyrim and the variety it offered in terms of environments and potential builds was a lot of loving fun.

I think the bar for survival horror games is: after you beat it, do you immediately want to start a new run? So RE1, RE2 (and their remakes), RE4, RE7 and even RE3make fit the bill.

What's everyone opinion on State of Decay 2? I hate, hate HATE online co-op, MMO's and CPU controlled AI partners but I just grabbed it for 15 bux after reading you can play solo and looking at some reviews. Did I gently caress up? If I like playing solo, sneaky stealth play styles and taking my time rummaging for poo poo
will I like it? Sometimes I get over loaded with open world stuff but I live killing me some zombies and the idea of carving out my own base in a big zombie world sounds cool.

Jeez...sorry for the TL/DR[/b]

Hyped for Village pre-ordered), grabbed SoD2 on the cheap, Evil Within 2 is fantastic and EW1 had too many cheap deaths. Now all we need are sequels to Alien: Isolation and and a new Silent Hill game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Camera movement feels leagues better than it did in RE7, which makes me happy. The act of shooting is much less cumbersome now. Guns still feel really piddly, though. This demo got me, though. I wasn't even thinking about purchasing this game (didn't like RE7 very much) but now I'm very much weighing the possibility. :retrogames:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone know what the pre-order digital stuff is good for? In RE7 you got the power up coins, which actually had some value

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
State of decay 2's primary bugbear for me was survivor enclave relations depending finding a fairly geegaw to hand over to them lest they go hostile or vanish and the way most bases weren't actually even slightly secure and zombies were constantly jumping through the windows while I was messing with inventory or something.

They might have addressed that at some point? I dunno it's been like 3 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Caidin posted:

State of decay 2's primary bugbear for me was survivor enclave relations depending finding a fairly geegaw to hand over to them lest they go hostile or vanish

I didn't understand any of that but now I'm psyched to play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't understand any of that but now I'm psyched to play it.

SoD2's developers are at least somewhat Nazi-adjacent so probably don't give them money.

Like one of the traits in the game is/was "Punched Nazis" which is a negative trait that makes you more irritable towards other people. They later claimed it was an accident but only after blocking the first person to point it out and going silent for a week.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ImpAtom posted:

SoD2's developers are at least somewhat Nazi-adjacent so probably don't give them money.

Like one of the traits in the game is/was "Punched Nazis" which is a negative trait that makes you more irritable towards other people. They later claimed it was an accident but only after blocking the first person to point it out and going silent for a week.

It was much quicker than a week, and their response was to patch it so that "Punched Nazis" was unambiguously good, whereas before it showed as a negative social modifier (gets into fights) without displaying the positive combat buff (punches Nazis real good). The trait was derived from one of the devs literally punching Nazis at music events. I think they're probably good ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
How does 7 play on pc with keyboard and mouse? I played it with a controller and it was fine, but since it's first person I assume it'd feel more natural with kbm.

I'm curious because I assume 8 is going to control pretty much the same as 7, and I'm gonna play it on my laptop.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I probably never would have finished it if I had to try and panic fire at things with a loving gamepad (the added accuracy does however accentuate the poor feel of gunplay)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I played some RE7 VR over the weekend + 8 demo, turned it off at like midnight and let the dogs out only to hear grisly screaming and snarling when they caught a rabbit in the backyard. Had to go out and clean it up and put me in a weird headspace. Hope RE8 meets PSVR2 down the road.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It was much quicker than a week, and their response was to patch it so that "Punched Nazis" was unambiguously good, whereas before it showed as a negative social modifier (gets into fights) without displaying the positive combat buff (punches Nazis real good). The trait was derived from one of the devs literally punching Nazis at music events. I think they're probably good ones.

Yeah, I mean anyone can just look at their lead devs Twitter. They’re good dudes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Big ol' media blowout. Obviously, spoilers for the first few hours of the game.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/new-resident-evil-village-gameplay-showcases-combat-villains-and-environments/

https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-village-exclusive-hands-on-with-the-first-5-hours-of-the-full-game-ign-first

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-village-is-the-baker-house-by-way-of-resident-evil-4/1100-6490259/

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2021/04/19/resident-evil-village-preview-a-supernatural-gut-punch-that-horror-fans-will

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Aww yisss - some very light Lady action

https://gfycat.com/deliciousbrightcondor

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's kind of funny that seeing her walk down the hallway at you is less scary at this point because she's so overexposed and isn't exactly designed to elicit terror

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how many players have intentionally ran towards her to get choked by mommy so far

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

codo27 posted:

I probably never would have finished it if I had to try and panic fire at things with a loving gamepad (the added accuracy does however accentuate the poor feel of gunplay)

It really wasn't that bad on a controller, but like with all first person games I've played on a console, it always felt a little off, even after I got used to it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, but what does Lady D do when you shoot her hat off?

Also have they rectified the error of RE:RE2 and allowed you to claim the fallen hat as your own in this one?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope she doesn't work the way Mr. X did in RE2R. I'm not interested in running circles through a building just to avoid the lumbering death zone again. Hopefully she's a temporary enemy like Jack and Marguerite.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JordanKai posted:

I hope she doesn't work the way Mr. X did in RE2R. I'm not interested in running circles through a building just to avoid the lumbering death zone again. Hopefully she's a temporary enemy like Jack and Marguerite.

Wait those were both temporary enemies? I never played RE 7 because I hate being chased around like by a Mr. X, but something akin to Nemesis is more tolerable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Wait those were both temporary enemies? I never played RE 7 because I hate being chased around like by a Mr. X, but something akin to Nemesis is more tolerable.

jack only hassles you for the first hour or two of the game and marguerite's patrol is confined to a few rooms in a totally separate building

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean relative to Mr. X's hunting period RE2 both are pretty brief, more so if you know what your doing. You can also hide from them a bit easier.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, they only pursue you at set points in the game, then disappear once you've finished the encounter. It's not like Mr. X at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neither of them are as threatening as Mr. X for sure

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

site posted:

how many players have intentionally ran towards her to get choked by mommy so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Neither of them are as threatening as Mr. X for sure
Mr X was just annoying because if he was close you'd have to loop around and find a safe room to hang out in until he gets bored and wanders off. Jack was more annoying because the environment was smaller and you couldn't just cheese running past him as easily, but he wasn't a huge threat nearly as long as Mr X. Marguerite was a non-issue, she just walks slowly around a perimeter.