Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Somaen posted:

Nemtsov and Navalny aren't just critics, they are/were legitimate political contenders with federal political weight, organization and electoral support, the Kremlin has a bunch of no-action critics that are comfortably integrated into the whole controlled opposition system

With the OSINT investigations into the FSB death squads that killed even some minor regional activists, if Navalny is killed I think it's pretty much it for anyone challenging Putin or any hope of a peaceful transition of power from the oligarch class

Unless the tankies were correct and a pure leftist will emerge who will have an innate immunity to neurotoxins as well as fake prison charges

We're publishing details of more of the FSB assassination team's activities over the coming weeks, I think we have 5 or 6 more examples to publish of people being followed then falling suddenly and mysteriously ill and we keep finding more and more. These assassinations appear to be regular business for the FSB, and it's not just political figures who are targeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Which, perfectly understandable on a personal level, but also everyone somehow apparently just shrugged and went "yep, nothing weird about running for the highest office in such state". Like how the gently caress is a politician allowed to make such an admission and keep his career?
The answer: No mental health filter laws on running for positions of state (not all mental health issues mind you, just the bad ones like narcissism, socio-psycho, dementia, etc)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brown Moses posted:

We're publishing details of more of the FSB assassination team's activities over the coming weeks, I think we have 5 or 6 more examples to publish of people being followed then falling suddenly and mysteriously ill and we keep finding more and more. These assassinations appear to be regular business for the FSB, and it's not just political figures who are targeted.

Thank the british government for allowing russia to assassinate russian exiles on their territory for the last 30 years.

Guess the Brits shouldn't have invested in western russia

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thank the british government for allowing russia to assassinate russian exiles on their territory for the last 30 years.

Guess the Brits shouldn't have invested in western russia
Wait how and for what purpose?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grouchio posted:

Wait how and for what purpose?

What part is confusing to you?
The London banking system shelled out billions to russia as investments and those investments were divvied up amongst the oligarchs of both Exiled and russian mafia loyalists. The mafia loyalists are Putin's soldiers which blend in and out of being government employees. So you'll have FSB agents who are Lts in the gangs they operate within.

The FSB is used for high level assassinations while the russian mafia operating out of european countries are used for low level hits or the usual intimidation if being followed everywhere etc.

So russia took the investments post soviet fall and Britain is on the hook with the loans. If britain took a hard stance against the fact that Russia just caps people in london with impunity then their investments would be in jeopardy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I thought it had more to do with the sheer amount of property Russian oligarchs own in London and they could pretty much tank property values on a whim.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

I thought it had more to do with the sheer amount of property Russian oligarchs own in London and they could pretty much tank property values on a whim.

I doubt oligarchs would be keen on tanking their own investments in unison like that, kinda goes against the oligarch modus operandi of gently caress you got mine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Does anyone in Russia besides their families, who lost their beloved, care about the slow but steady attrition of Wagner mercenaries?

I do not know and can not think of anywhere to ask but here.

If there would be any significant action in Ukraine, it wont be just mercenaries and illegal "volunteers" under DNR warlords - by "contract" I mean people who signed for paid armed service past their draft year (recruiters vulture around them all the time because it is good cash if you are from a depressed region) and professional soldiers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Russia kicked out 20 Czech diplomats as retaliation for kicking out 18 of theirs for blowing up that ammo dump. That's almost all of the embassy staff lol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56796324

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The talk on the town is that the future of Nord Stream 2 will set the tone now. If Russia's allowed to finish the project, it basically means the EU's powerless to do poo poo (or doesn't really want to).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mokotow posted:

The talk on the town is that the future of Nord Stream 2 will set the tone now. If Russia's allowed to finish the project, it basically means the EU's powerless to do poo poo (or doesn't really want to).

I dream of the day when Germany will stop sabotaging EU security interests for short-term economic gain.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

MiddleOne posted:

I dream of the day when Germany will stop sabotaging EU security interests for short-term economic gain.

Any day now.

*Thinks back on Nord Stream 1, where german chancellor applied heavy political pressure to other countries to push it through, and then immediately got a job on a Gazprom board.*

Any day now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

1. Would the SPD be up for the job of doing just that?
2. Just invest shitloads into renewables EU, lol

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Grouchio posted:

When you classify trees as renewable anything can happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

karthun posted:

Yeah, Germany continues to be the textbook case for Greenwashing, shuttering their nuclear plants and now NIMBYism stopping their Renewables rollout so they are back to being dependent on Coal and Russian Gas.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

karthun posted:

Tree burn tree grow

It makes more sense in german I'm sure

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grouchio posted:

SPD is up to being irrelevant while auditioning for Russian oil and gas industry jobs. Their foreign ministers have been utterly boot-licking of Russia compared to the overall Merkel government.
A potential Green government is gonna be weird, though, given their hate of nuclear, but gas is hardly green itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

SPD is up to being irrelevant while auditioning for Russian oil and gas industry jobs. Their foreign ministers have been utterly boot-licking of Russia compared to the overall Merkel government.
A potential Green government is gonna be weird, though, given their hate of nuclear, but gas is hardly green itself.

its not, but the greens have been pushing gas, hard. Hell, Greenpeace runs a Gas reseller in Germany that they bill as "Green Gas". Their hypocrisy is amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace_Energy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I guess the :homebrew: went to both parties' heads for too long and now they can't escape their funding commitments to save their ideologies?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Tree burn tree grow

It makes more sense in german I'm sure

It can only make sense if trees are growing faster then they are burning. I have no faith that is the case under energiewende.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

karthun posted:

It can only make sense if trees are growing faster then they are burning. I have no faith that is the case under energiewende.

Maybe we can use lights to extend growing season for trees and power the lights with burning trees

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So the Czech prime minister’s trying to pull some poo poo. He says the ammo dump explosion wasn’t an act of national terrorism, because the ammo was Bulgarian and bound for Russia, and just happened to be blown up in Czechia, so no harm done eh :ms:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Czechia is a stupid name for what should be West Czechoslovakia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ukraine is part of Russia, this checks out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mokotow posted:

So the Czech prime minister’s trying to pull some poo poo. He says the ammo dump explosion wasn’t an act of national terrorism, because the ammo was Bulgarian and bound for Russia, and just happened to be blown up in Czechia, so no harm done eh :ms:
Of course it's the sleazy corporate populist Babis who made this dumb statement. How russophilic was Czechia again?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Is there any other news outlet besides Sputnik that confirmed this?

VVVV couldnt find anything with quick google search on my phone, thanks for the link

laserghost fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

laserghost posted:

Is there any other news outlet besides Sputnik that confirmed this?
You mean what Babis said? It's all over the news.

https://translate.google.com/transl...0713_domaci_knn

Although it seems that it might be technically correct , just an extremely stupid thing to say.

E

Nenonen posted:

Czechia is a stupid name for what should be West Czechoslovakia.

Could be Western Russia soon, depending on how this goes

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 19, 2021

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Czech senate is mulling over expelling all russian diplos, save for the ambassador or charge’d affairs. Would be the biggest escalation since... I dunno, 1985 Soviet Union/UK diplomatic row?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Of course it's the sleazy corporate populist Babis who made this dumb statement. How russophilic was Czechia again?
Not very; the problem is it's got an extremely russophilic President who loves to overstep his authority.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mokotow posted:

Czech senate is mulling over expelling all russian diplos, save for the ambassador or charge’d affairs. Would be the biggest escalation since... I dunno, 1985 Soviet Union/UK diplomatic row?

Seeing as the US and Russia have expelled each other's diplo's in the last few days does it really count as an escalation?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes, because US and Russia have a lot of staff to have expelled. Conversely, almost all the Czech staff in Moscow is gone, while Russia still has 120 staff in Czechia, working in the embassy and two consulates.

Expelling all embassy staff (or closing embassies) is not something that happens often, thus my 1985 comment which I vaguely remember was the last time these escalating expulsions actually started making a dent in the respective diplomatic corps.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 19, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That 120 btw, almost three times more staff than any other equivalent (and many larger) countries. Almost like they have a lot of intelligence people doing bad poo poo there....

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Not very; the problem is it's got an extremely russophilic President who loves to overstep his authority.
Aight when's the emergency election?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

That 120 btw, almost three times more staff than any other equivalent (and many larger) countries. Almost like they have a lot of intelligence people doing bad poo poo there....

...in Brno and *checks notes* Karlove Vary? :shrug:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mokotow posted:

And the soldiers weren't really murdered since they would have died one day anyway. Makes sense :hmmyes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meanwhile, in Belarus, an attempted coup was heroically prevented by Russian and Belarusian secret services.

https://www.dw.com/en/belarus-two-men-accused-of-planning-coup-arrested-in-moscow/a-57241861

Basically, KGB and FSB picked a bunch of radicalised (relative) nobodies, who absolutely hated Tikhanovskaya for her peaceful approach to the protest, and led them on with promises of military support during an armed uprising that would culminate with Lukashenko's execution. And two of them even went to Russia to discuss this stuff in person with some 'anti-Lukashenko generals', where they if course got arrested. It reminds me a lot of the movie The Day Shall Come. The sheer ineptitude is staggering. What a great gift to the propaganda machine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Unit 29155 are the high level hitmen

The 45th Guards Special Purpose Detached Brigade is Putin's army.

The Tambov Gang are low level muscle for higher, intimidation, witness tampering, etc

Wagner are the selects of these groups commanding russian army regulars who are trustworthy enough to make a slight cash increase over the normal drug dealing rackets

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Paladinus posted:

Meanwhile, in Belarus, an attempted coup was heroically prevented by Russian and Belarusian secret services.

https://www.dw.com/en/belarus-two-men-accused-of-planning-coup-arrested-in-moscow/a-57241861

Basically, KGB and FSB picked a bunch of radicalised (relative) nobodies, who absolutely hated Tikhanovskaya for her peaceful approach to the protest, and led them on with promises of military support during an armed uprising that would culminate with Lukashenko's execution. And two of them even went to Russia to discuss this stuff in person with some 'anti-Lukashenko generals', where they if course got arrested. It reminds me a lot of the movie The Day Shall Come. The sheer ineptitude is staggering. What a great gift to the propaganda machine.
yeah, I am already seeing local kremlinbots parroting that Czech expulsion of diplomats spies is only distraction from attempted American coup in Belarus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dwesa posted:

yeah, I am already seeing local kremlinbots parroting that Czech expulsion of diplomats spies is only distraction from attempted American coup in Belarus

America's destiny lies in the wheat fields of belarus.

- adolf biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So apparently one of the dudes that supposedly wanted to off Luka was given instructions from his US handlers in a restaurant in Warsaw. I was afraid for a bit that Kremlin forgot to pin some BS regarding Belarus on Poland.