Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Extras trailer for Nier Replicant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PJzAAR8M0

Really cool that the Automata cast does voice lines for the Yorha costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Volte posted:

Fallout 4 better than The Last of Us? What have you done..

Just reporting the facts :mrwhite:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Thinking about maybe buying a Wii U ... It's 100 dollars... Should I get it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many games can you name that you want to play and are Wii U exclusive? Bayonetta 2 is on Switch now and I can't think of any other Wii U games at all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only game I would plug my Wii U back in to play is Wind Waker HD, and hopefully that'll get ported to Switch someday so I won't have to :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

absolutely

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I wouldn't

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A good rule is to never buy a console unless there are at least five games you want to play on it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How much do you want to play Nintendoland?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ah, but the WiiU also plays Wii games. So you can play Dog Zelda and Sports Demo Disc 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There is all of one notable WiiU game unported to the switch still and the actual system is bad and will make you go "why am I not playing the switch, the system which solves all of this systems obvious faults?"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Oh god I'm so confused. The console does come with a loose disc of Xenoblade Chronicles X though ... that's a console exclusive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Oh god I'm so confused. The console does come with a loose disc of Xenoblade Chronicles X though ... that's a console exclusive
that's a point in absolutely's favor

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Honestly, I think I liked both Splatoon's and FirePersonaTokyo's Wiiu Controller gimmicks better than not having them on the Switch.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

There is all of one notable WiiU game unported to the switch still and the actual system is bad and will make you go "why am I not playing the switch, the system which solves all of this systems obvious faults?"

Devil's Third

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Full disclosure I have a WiiU and it has been played within the past 6 months.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wonder how much I could sell my hacked Wii U for

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a Wii U in a storage bin under the bed :troll:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Honestly, I think I liked both Splatoon's and FirePersonaTokyo's Wiiu Controller gimmicks better than not having them on the Switch.
yeah, there's lots of switch ports that are lesser for that reason. pikmin 3 and wonderful 101 are also games that are much better on wii u

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If you've waited this long for a wii u, wait a wee bit longer. They arn't going anywhere

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

For exclusives still, there is Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade X. All of these are really good games. There are also a bunch of SNES, and Nintendo 64 games you can buy on the system still. There is also the Metroid Prime trilogy if you don't already have a Wii.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

game and wario, now that's a sick game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This certainly took quite a while but I did an exhaustive ranking of every video game I've ever played.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 19, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volte posted:

Fallout 4 better than The Last of Us? What have you done..
it's probably a better moment to moment game just to play even though the story and dialogue are garbage

you're not just spending the whole time finding ladders to move and walking alongside ellie floating on a raft

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

it's probably a better moment to moment game just to play even though the story and dialogue are garbage

you're not just spending the whole time finding ladders to move and walking alongside ellie floating on a raft

can you do this in The Last Of Us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx-shcDB_Gc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

it's an extremely good emulation box for just about every nintendo system released before it except for like a third of the n64. also xenoblade x and fatal frame are cool games, as are star fox zero and kirby rainbow curse if the controls click for you. also the hd gc zeldas have yet to be freed

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have decided to sleep on it.

Hopefully someone else will buy it before tomorrow.

The list of games I would potentially want to play on the Wii U: Xenoblade X, Windwaker HD, Bayonetta 2 maybe unless the Switch port is much better.

Games I'm curious about and would probably check out: Wonderful 101, The werewolf Zelda

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wonderful 101 is Remastered on Steam too https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190400/The_Wonderful_101_Remastered/

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
wonderful 101 is fantastic. idk how the ports handle but it's one of my favorite games on the wii u

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have decided to sleep on it.

Hopefully someone else will buy it before tomorrow.

The list of games I would potentially want to play on the Wii U: Xenoblade X, Windwaker HD, Bayonetta 2 maybe unless the Switch port is much better.

Games I'm curious about and would probably check out: Wonderful 101, The werewolf Zelda

Look into Star Fox Guard (not Zero!) and Affordable Space Adventures if you ever pull the trigger.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

VideoGames posted:

I think I have this on my PS Vita. Your interesting words have convinced me to put it on my list of games to play!

You should! It's a very fun game. Though it's definitely a note taking game, you absolutely need to keep track of all the hints you've found to solve puzzles.

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds like it is time to reinstall la-mulana and then get stuck in the second area again

Yeah I posted about it because that's exactly what I did yesterday. Bonus points, I'm comparing with my old save and going "God where the hell did I get all this crap"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fridge corn posted:

Quick and dirty ps4 game tier list. Not all games I've played are represented. Pretend Dragons Dogma is the lone entry in the bottom tier

Dragon's Dogma is a better game than Witcher 3, so I cannot

Titanfall 2 definitely too high on there too

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PunkBoy posted:

Extras trailer for Nier Replicant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PJzAAR8M0

Really cool that the Automata cast does voice lines for the Yorha costumes

wait is dad nier just a costume or...

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
More like Fallout of fashion!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

How many games can you name that you want to play and are Wii U exclusive? Bayonetta 2 is on Switch now and I can't think of any other Wii U games at all

The true value of the Wii U, aside from Nintendo Land, Paper Mario Color Splash, and Bowser Party mode in Mario Party 10, is that it's a soft mod away from being able to play nearly every previous nintendo console, either by native hardware in the case of the gamecube and wii, or by emulation / Virtual Console for everything else.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i played two first person shooters yesterday. one was titanfall 2 for ps4, which is extremely good, constantly thrilling and the pace never drags. best feeling player movement since quake and the addition of double-jumps and mantling makes the half-life style jumping puzzles far more palatable. at first i was kind of rolling my eyes at how they gave the titan a personality but i'm starting to get kind of attached to it

the other was ice nine for game boy advance, which is extremely bad but fascinating all the same. it was originally going to be a licensed game based on the al pacino/colin farrell film "the recruit," but they ended up canceling the tie-in and the rebranded game wasn't released until 2005. i think it's the most ambitious of all the ill-advised gba fps projects except maybe 007 nightfire, with jumping, stealth, vent-crawling, secret areas, scoped rifles, and grenades. you might wonder how the gba, with its limited controls and 3d capabilities, handles all this, and the answer is mostly pretty badly. the level designers wisely keep most of the action indoors because the framerate really takes a dive if you can see more than about twenty feet away

there are like seven different control schemes and they're all awkward but the default works the least badly for me: d-pad for movement and turning, shoulder buttons for strafing, a to fire, and b to jump. start opens the pause menu (which has a legit automap that marks objectives and enemies--not bad for a gba fps), select cycles through your weapons, and to holster your weapon you have to hold select and press b, which works about half the time. it also supports free look by holding down both strafe buttons simultaneously and using the d-pad. maybe this works better on a real gba but on my emulator handheld i'm constantly accidentally releasing one button or the other while trying to aim so my guy suddenly starts shuffling off to the side and my aim resets

i don't know why i'm playing all these gba fpses. none of them are good but i'm endlessly entertained by the attempts at translating a genre to a platform totally unsuited for it. i can't blame every problem with these games on the hardware though. there's lots of stuff where they just didn't bother to do the thing that would have made it look good. gba nightfire for example has a radial weapon selector that would be incomprehensible were it not for the text labels because every icon is clearly just the one from the ps2 game downscaled to like 8x8. i guess drawing new icons at the appropriate size would have taken development time away from stuff like unreasonably detailed 3d staircases

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish there was a demo for Replicant. I loved Automata, but don't want to just assume i'll enjoy Replicant, and the demo for Automata is what sold me on the game where otherwise I would have actually never bought it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wish there was a demo for Replicant. I loved Automata, but don't want to just assume i'll enjoy Replicant, and the demo for Automata is what sold me on the game where otherwise I would have actually never bought it.
as long as you liked things about automata that were not the basic mechanics of the game, you'll probably like replicant

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

wait is dad nier just a costume or...

As far as everyone knows just a costume aka Im passing on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

As far as everyone knows just a costume aka Im passing on it

Is losing Dad Nier really that bad? Like even ignoring the jank that came from the game being made around Brother Nier the story seems more interesting on a certain level if it’s a bright eyed kid given how Yoko Atari stories go.