Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Also today: uhhh hey hon we are getting 14 iPads that need to be set up for dietary...we want to restrict them but we don’t know exactly to what

They aren’t here yet so wat least I won’t have to say “hey remember i spent Thursday and Friday pulling cable” when I get asked where the iPads are on Monday

*looks behind him at cdw boxes*

Ya I have 175 iPads and 100 iPhones that I'll need to start configuring for our Epic EMR go live here in a few months. We just Airwatch and it's so badly configured that it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to setup a single iPad/iPhone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

*looks behind him at cdw boxes*

Ya I have 175 iPads and 100 iPhones that I'll need to start configuring for our Epic EMR go live here in a few months. We just Airwatch and it's so badly configured that it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to setup a single iPad/iPhone :(

At least they didn’t buy a bunch of chrome tablets and then cry when they aren’t supported by the mdm

“The sales guy said android tablets worked!”

ChromeOS isn’t Android

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does nobody use DEP?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did jamf + the apple provisioning thing for the iPad minis we used as room displays.

Literally just had to inbox them, connect to WiFi, and wait. It was super nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm alright with iPads as room displays, but they will balloon the batteries within a couple years

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My boss and my boss's boss like free poo poo so they keep agreeing to meetings with vendors and roping me in and I am going to just absolutely snap one day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Does nobody use DEP?

Yes, we use DEP with Airwatch but it's so badly configured I rarely get an iPad on the network the first try.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

My boss and my boss's boss like free poo poo so they keep agreeing to meetings with vendors and roping me in and I am going to just absolutely snap one day.

Webinar disease where they want to go to every single one and email back every vendor who spams them with poo poo?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds about right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Taking a break. Helper guy has to do a Zoom meeting for a speeding ticket plea.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SlowBloke posted:

If you have a hybrid AD and little payload in phase 2, whiteglove is the sole way to not have phase 3 crash and burn due to lack of AD objects missing in Azure. Also it's far quicker on the user as it will take far less time to just do phase 3 after providing credentials.

We solved the chrome issue by banning it from the list of supported apps, once we enroll all machines in defender atp we will do rules to mark it as PUA and block it from running.

To be honest this is kind of what we're thinking, now that Edgium exists. The only reason we ever started putting Chrome on was because A) Edge sucked and B) Firefox didn't play nice with GPO or MSI deployments (this is, y'know, back in the 2010s with traditional AD setups, I know they have an official MSI now). Now that we have Edgium built in, what the hell is really the point of Chrome?

I find it slightly hilarious that after literal decades of MS bundling a web browser that everyone labeled an antitrust horror, which I guess was fair in the IE 4-6 days, the thing that actually may make the bundled web browser the choice over the competition is the fact it's built off the competition.

Haven't yet gotten to hybrid AD yet but that's the next phase for some of our other customers (this deployment was for machines going to far away offices of this client that don't have a VPN, will never have a VPN, and certainly would never have an onsite DC or anything, so why put them on the AD domain). If anyone has any tips/tricks for hybrid AD join that aren't really emphasized enough in the Microsoft docs, I'm all ears.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It makes everything more complicated. Avoid it if you can and go full Azure AD. That's my tip.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Internet Explorer posted:

It makes everything more complicated. Avoid it if you can and go full Azure AD. That's my tip.

:hmmyes:

Full AAD on devices makes them easy as hell to deploy and maintain. Hybrid can get messy. but it’s really going to be driven by your end users use cases

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have just recently deployed Defender for Identity and I am shocked how good it is. I expected a total shitshow and its... good?

Integrating MCAS into on prem AD is pretty loving legit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yup, if you are doing anything new go all in on autopilot/intune/azure ad only for your workstations. Any existing workstations can be enrolled after the fact to hybrid with a simple GPO tweak. With our switch to autopilot devices well over a year ago and a concentrated refresh effort we are down to ~400 workstations left in AD. The majority will fall off with attrition and the remaining handful that are AD-only belong to the infrastructure team to rdp into, like mine.

I haven’t had to touch a desktop GPO in forever, it’s great.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

I have just recently deployed Defender for Identity and I am shocked how good it is. I expected a total shitshow and its... good?

Integrating MCAS into on prem AD is pretty loving legit.

Yea I mean not to be a shithead but I loving hope MS can accurately audit their own stuff and get the logs into the cloud. The honeypot account is cool too highly recommend it.

By the way - you have to close alerts in both places (MCAS/DFI) which is annoying. Especially if you use service accounts for anything like SCCM cause that trips DFI endlessly. Any PS remoting does too. And be careful when you suppress or ignore alerts because there isn’t an easy way to undo that iirc

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Thanks Ants posted:

Does nobody use DEP?

DEP with Airwatch, moving to DEP with InTune.

AirWatch is hot garbagé and I will die on this hill with anyone who says otherwise. InTune is strangely nice and I am enjoying it compared to previous attempts at MDM I've had to use (GOOD for Enterprise, Meraki).
Sure it has its own nuances, but I can have a device from "Hello" to Home Screen usable in about 10 - 15. The biggest holdup is moving away from on premise MFA to Azure MFA, so we have to use the device login feature with the company portal setup

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Steakandchips posted:

Bob, don't pull the cable. You're an IT worker, not an electrician.

Please do not hire electricians to pull data cable. I've seen electricians that are good at it but I've seen a lot more that are terrible at it. Hire a proper data cabling contractor that is familiar with BICSI standards.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lynxifer posted:

AirWatch is hot garbagé and I will die on this hill with anyone who says otherwise.

I've said this before but the Gartner magic quadrant stuff a few years ago notably had no customer comments from AirWatch customers - it was because the lawyers had made them remove them all for being libellous they were that bad. Airwatch has been a flaming turd with a shitload of sales people since before VMWare bought it, it's obvious it's just a trojan horse for VMWare to get their virtual desktop stuff on people who are too dumb to find a better MDM provider's devices. I've also got a good GOOD story that I can't tell because it involves a company you've all heard of and would cause me a world of legal troubles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's why you change the names to protect the stupid.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Airwatch has been a flaming turd with a shitload of sales people since before VMWare bought it, it's obvious it's just a trojan horse for VMWare to get their virtual desktop stuff on people who are too dumb to find a better MDM provider's devices.

What would you recommend instead? We're looking at it and InTune and Airwatch seems marginally less lovely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We migrated from Airwatch (VMware Workspace ONE!) to Intune (Microsoft Endpoint Manager!) and I couldn't be happier. MEM does some dumb poo poo, and it helps that we're all in on Microsoft stuff, but it's so much more pleasant to use.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

guppy posted:

Please do not hire electricians to pull data cable. I've seen electricians that are good at it but I've seen a lot more that are terrible at it. Hire a proper data cabling contractor that is familiar with BICSI standards.

fair point. Bob, get one of those.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

What would you recommend instead? We're looking at it and InTune and Airwatch seems marginally less lovely.

We are going Intune for all the MS stuff and Jamf for all the apple stuff. And connecting the 2 only for inventory visibility. At least that’s the game plan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So at 3:15pm Friday (we leave at 4:00pm) my boss decided he wanted to start running cable...we did two of the shorted pulls and then he started talking about buying wire at Home Depot. Good luck chuck.

I would go to the electrical reseller in town, they have all kinds of poo poo there, my old job we bought whatever we needed on PO there.

Also the deadline magically turned from Monday to Tuesday.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My employer really wants to get butts back in seats of the expensive building they bought and renovated right before covid hit. They got blasted on anonymous surveys during previous attempts to get people back in. This time they did a non-anonymous survey to gauge interest. Based on the answers they claimed that people overwhelmingly want to return to the office, so they have set dates because "we're nearing the end of the pandemic." I was bullshitting with a co-worker who happens to be a manager. They had some of the results shared with them. One of the questions was "How many days would you want to work out of the office per week?" Answers were 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Anything other than zero was considered "I can't wait to get back into the office!" so they claimed 75% can't wait to come back.

At least a dozen people who worked in the office have left since the beginning of the year. From speaking to one of them, they were asking about permanent/partial WFH going forward, told no, and found equal or better paying jobs that would let them WFH. But why keep those people who have been around up to 15 years when you want to justify that expensive-rear end building you bought? Thankfully for me, I have always been a remote employee. Unfortunately for me, our team is half the size it was a year ago and this summer is looking to be busy as gently caress.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mllaneza posted:

We've got a vendor charging us license fees for software implemented as ActiveX controls, so I feel ya.

Actively pissing me to an almost unprecedented degree. We're troubleshooting an issue where a vendor-supplied PC stopped talking to the instrument (machine #1). Machine #2 comes with vendor config and can talk to the instrument. It's a validated system (that will take weeks to re-qualify), so we restore an image of #1 from before it broke. It stops talking to the instrument. We restore an even older image, it won't talk to the instrument. We decide to swap the drive from #2 into #3 (also an identical vendor system) to rule out any weird hardware issues or subtly different system configuration.

The loving SATA cables are epoxied in place. At both ends.

I had to set up remote connections for check scanners that do deposits directly to the clients bank with the bank’s IT guy. He couldn’t remote in so I had to loving share my screen and do everything for him.

Short story: the entire account management/deposits web app system ONLY works in IE and ONLY works if you disable basically every possible security feature left in IE and then you have to turn off a bunch of windows defender/firewall stuff so the machine will let all of that run. It’s absolutely insane, this thing has scanned images of checks from who knows how many of our client’s clients stored on it with routing numbers and accounts and all sorts of poo poo. This bank should be freaking the gently caress out on their vendor

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

GI_Clutch posted:

My employer really wants to get butts back in seats of the expensive building they bought and renovated right before covid hit.

Similar situation at my work but they never asked if anybody wants to return to the office 100% of the time or not. We're just being told that we're going from 50% to 75% soon and then back at 100% starting in a few months.

When pressed on it, the most we get is "we might consider a hybrid scenario at some point in the future " which is just a nice way of telling you to gently caress off.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ratmtattat posted:

When pressed on it, the most we get is "we might consider a hybrid scenario at some point in the future " which is just a nice way of telling you to gently caress off.

Seems like alot of people might just take that advice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can't remember which thread I said it in, but crusty old rear end leadership isn't going to pay leases on offices that are mostly empty. Because crusty rear end leadership likes to go into the office for exhausting 4 hour days and not seeing every butt in the seat makes their leadership fiefdom less prestigious.

When leases are due to expire some crusty old rear end leadership is going to jump on it to meet bonuses. The rest, well, you just have to wait for them to retire or die.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately the alternative to the crusty old rear end bosses are the less crusty bosses who have discovered they can cancel the leases and pass on the costs of internet/electricity/home network security to employees working remotely and save a ton of money. There are horror stories already I’ve read about people in other fields (mostly marketing and finance bullshit) where employers require you to have your own “office space” to work “remotely”

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

sfwarlock posted:

I'll recommend InTune, but we're very much in bed with Microsoft / Office 365. We moved Exchange into the cloud from on premises, we're moving Sharepoint on premises to the cloud, and we're jumping on pretty much everything we can. Although sadly it looks like we're going to dump our on premises Ironport and go to ATP/EOP. If you have a hodgepodge of stuff in places that aren't O365, then it probably won't be as magical...

AirWatch is confusing, disjointed and is just plain bad. It feels like almost everything was tacked on and doesn't really work well together. We've had situations where some of the settings we've applied to devices just don't work and support shrug and blame you.

Support is hilarious. Tier 1 are clueless and clearly following a script, but to jump to Tier 2 to get the actual techs is a mission. I've raised P1 mission critical issues via phone support, only to have Tier 1 sit on it, and ask us to restart services.

I find InTune fits the MS ethos in terms of UI and workflow. It has some odd quirks and a few oddities I don't understand why it does it like that. But things like Microsoft Tunnel with InTune is a magical thing that I love to pieces and balances out the oddity

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
haha cable pulling is one of the most fun hot potatoes to deal with.

I remember years ago before I was a manager, my old manager wanted an extra data point by his desk, he got some of that sticky back trunking, hacked a piece off and stuck it to the wall all wonky. He get absolutely shredded for doing such an awful job so start trying to claim he did it on purpose so he would be allowed to use the relevant contractors more easily.

Some of my colleagues at other sites will do cable pulling at the weekend for overtime. I personally don't because it's a lot easier to argue 'we are not electricians, go away' compared to 'yeah I know we could do it, but if we are doing that, then we are not doing IT so we only do it for O/T' because sooner or later you find someone who goes crying to the boss that something is important and IT said they 'could' do it.

Also, as per the story above, so many IT people bodge jobs like this and make it look poop so no :D

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Very, very few IT people know the electrical and fire codes in their area, much less the BICSI standards. Are you really sure that your people are using plenum or riser rate cable where required? Are you really sure that the installation is firestopped properly? That's before you even get into the fact that I guarantee you you will do a shittier job of cable management than a professional cable jockey. I'm convinced structured cabling installers are among the most badly underpaid groups around. They are magicians. (Not the people who own the companies, I'm pretty sure they make bank.)

Violating code is bad, but imagine people dying because you didn't install cabling properly. No thank you, I will leave it to the pros.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Two fresh boxes of cable on the floor this morning!

guppy posted:

Very, very few IT people know the electrical and fire codes in their area, much less the BICSI standards. Are you really sure that your people are using plenum or riser rate cable where required? Are you really sure that the installation is firestopped properly? That's before you even get into the fact that I guarantee you you will do a shittier job of cable management than a professional cable jockey. I'm convinced structured cabling installers are among the most badly underpaid groups around. They are magicians. (Not the people who own the companies, I'm pretty sure they make bank.)

Violating code is bad, but imagine people dying because you didn't install cabling properly. No thank you, I will leave it to the pros.
To be fair, it's pretty simple just always use plenum wire, and follow the existing cable management hooks/loops/trays. We can always have maintenance re-putty firewalls if we need to.

Bob Morales posted:

Also today: uhhh hey hon we are getting 14 iPads that need to be set up for dietary...we want to restrict them but we don’t know exactly to what

They aren’t here yet so wat least I won’t have to say “hey remember i spent Thursday and Friday pulling cable” when I get asked where the iPads are on Monday

Hahaha....he rolls in 25 minutes late and says "Hey did you get Bitlocker installed on the IT laptops?"

When did you think I was going to have time for that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

My $AWFUL_JOB quoted wiring, wifi, servers, pbx, paging system, security controls etc for a huge warehouse. I've told the story before, but I'm a computer toucher. Our sales guy just quoted "security/access system $10k" but didn't actually spec one or anything. He basically told me to go to Amazon and buy something and install it. This place was a high end clothing store with a huge expensive jewelry section that they wanted man traps, and high end security. I asked my by how he expected me to connect to the fire system so if there's a fire, the entire staff doesn't trapped and killed. He shrugged. I ended up having to call a real security contractor and just to show up and touch a commercial fire panel he wanted $5,000.

I'm still mad about that job, and it's been five years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's annoying having different systems to keep track of things.

Helpdesk ticket system doesn't have any 'projects' in it. Because anything open past a certain number of days looks bad in metrics to the board. It's also basically broken since notes don't email update etc etc.

Monday.com has mostly projects but other random lists and poo poo. Perfect if you like micro-managing poo poo. Spams the gently caress out of you with every update as well.

Then you have good old email.

"Hey, did you ever find out about x? I never got an update from you."

I forwarded the email from the vendor to you.

"Oh...well can you put it in x"

"Hey, did you fix y?"

Yea, I closed the ticket and wrote what changes were made in the notes.

"Oh, I haven't looked at tickets in a day or two. Can you email it to me?"

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

guppy posted:

My bosses decided to get our usual electrician to run Cat6 from our newly refurbished offices to the server room, despite my protests, as every time we used him before we had to get a contractor out to fix all the fuckyness that resulted in severe packet loss for most of the drops.

That was back in October. He finally finished the last drop today. About 25% of the connections do not work, the other 25% have packet loss so bad they might as well not work.
We paid for 100 IP phones in October, plus 100 IP phone licenses in our phone system. They have been sitting in a box collecting dust for almost 6 goddamn months as we do not have enough working network points to plug people in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pissing me off: Googling for a combination of [productname] and SAML and the first page of results being various identity providers that have managed to SEO their way into appearing on the page despite only offering a password vaulting solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How has the Azure Pricing Calculator been such hot garbage for this long? Again, doesn't Microsoft have some interns they could throw at a problem?