Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dross posted:

Only $450! And you’d have to know it existed in the first place in order to buy it.

And have a local bookstore to order it from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Another beloved favourite

The anatomy of Bibliomania? That's a big book to talk about a very small book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

And have a local bookstore to order it from

Ah yes because mail-order famously didn't exist before the Internet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now we're talking about a catalog book of books about books.

Just something we all had lying around.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fizzymercury posted:

That's as bad as when I realized Dio isn't the band that did Tom Sawyer.

I never knew until this moment how much I wanted to hear Dio cover Rush

Get some fuckin Red Barchetta going

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are people being obtuse or do I really need to worry about libraries being missing from living memory.

Probably both.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah yes because mail-order famously didn't exist before the Internet.

So your stance is that if I am arguing with somebody about the lyrics of Blinded By the Light I need to get a mail order book catalogue, order a book with a listing of books that have lyrics, order one of those books, then look up the lyrics?

Truly that's identical in ease and speed to googling on my phone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rydiafan posted:

So your stance is that if I am arguing with somebody about the lyrics of Blinded By the Light I need to get a mail order book catalogue, order a book with a listing of books that have lyrics, order one of those books, then look up the lyrics?

No you should already have those books.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I need to own every book?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

zedprime posted:

Are people being obtuse or do I really need to worry about libraries being missing from living memory.

Probably both.

People are talking about the kind of information like "who was that guy in that one movie" or "what are those lyrics" which you can google immediately these days but which you would probably just give up and Not Know back before the internet because going to a library or a CD store or something is a lot more effort than pulling out your phone. Just because it was possible to find out information if you tried hard enough doesn't mean everyone did that always at every opportunity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rydiafan posted:

So I need to own every book?

Judging by your marvelous posts it couldn't hurt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Organza Quiz posted:

People are talking about the kind of information like "who was that guy in that one movie" or "what are those lyrics" which you can google immediately these days but which you would probably just give up and Not Know back before the internet because going to a library or a CD store or something is a lot more effort than pulling out your phone. Just because it was possible to find out information if you tried hard enough doesn't mean everyone did that always at every opportunity.
It's a dumb bad faith conversation had by every generation about the last generations information science.

*Huge 17th century bong rip* but like how did anyone know the pythagorean theorem in Greece if noone had a printing press?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

rydiafan posted:

You could dig through all the cassettes to find the one compilation album that has all the lyrics printed in the insert. Then you find out it was the cassette you spilled root beer on and you can only make out half the lyrics.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What if Brad Pitt wants to know who was the guy in some movie?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Just call the DJ. They love talkin to the listeners, maaan.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

When I was a kid I got into a big argument with another kid at school about what the capital of Brazil was, the globe we had at home said Brasilia, but the old rear end encyclopedia in the classroom said Rio de Janeiro and I looked like a chump.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Judging by your marvelous posts it couldn't hurt.

My mistake. I didn't realize you were posting entirely in bad faith. I'll avoid conversing with you like a rational human in the future.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Well, I just learned that there's a city called 'Brasilia' that is apparently Brazil's capital, and has been since 1960! To be fair, I know about as much about Brazil as I do Hungary (not a lot).

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

loving goons, goddamn. I stopped engaging a page and a half ago because his gimmick was clear after literally one reply, lol.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

My mistake. I didn't realize you were posting entirely in bad faith. I'll avoid conversing with you like a rational human in the future.

3D Megadoodoo is Jerry Cotton. He accidentally made a good post once and he's regretted it ever since.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Actually I'm most concerned that you are all bringing to light that it was impossible for anyone to know any pop culture trivia definitively in the 90s because I used this to great effect to become Trivial Pursuit champion by doctoring all the cards with fake answers. What were they gonna do, prove me wrong with a book they don't own?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My bad. I knew he was doing a gimmick, but I thought he'd at least maintain the veneer of polite conversation.

I'll do better in the future.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tokelau All Star posted:

When I was a kid I got into a big argument with another kid at school about what the capital of Brazil was, the globe we had at home said Brasilia, but the old rear end encyclopedia in the classroom said Rio de Janeiro and I looked like a chump.

I went to school in the 70s and 80s and the giant world maps in the classrooms grew increasingly outdated and incorrect every year as countries kept changing their names but the school refused to spend money replacing them

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’ve heard a lot of people think Dire Straits is American, which is funny because they’re so much less popular here than in their home country.

I guess I just had a "Just figured out..." moment. I actually thought they were American until now. I guess I never looked into it. I'd say they are/were very popular in the US. Everyone who's anyone has a copy of "Brothers in Arms." The content comes off as American to me.

"Here comes Johnny singing oldies goldies..." etc. "I want my MTV..." all pretty American sounding. Romeo and Juliet is pretty non-specific. It could be anywhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mostlygray posted:

I guess I just had a "Just figured out..." moment. I actually thought they were American until now. I guess I never looked into it. I'd say they are/were very popular in the US. Everyone who's anyone has a copy of "Brothers in Arms." The content comes off as American to me.

"Here comes Johnny singing oldies goldies..." etc. "I want my MTV..." all pretty American sounding. Romeo and Juliet is pretty non-specific. It could be anywhere.

They're certainly popular enough here and have a handful of classic rock radio staples (Sultans of Swing, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life) but I think in the UK they're one of the best selling domestic acts ever.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rydiafan posted:

My bad. I knew he was doing a gimmick, but I thought he'd at least maintain the veneer of polite conversation.
It's not a gimmick, he just suffers from Milk Dementia

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It's not a gimmick, he's just Finnish

ftfy

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
You'll understand him better once you see how he lives his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh if only. He's only getting startt

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Oh if only. He's only getting startt

:nice:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Speaking of lyrics, "Never will I roam/for I know my place is home" seems to be in direct contradiction with "Where the ocean meets the sky I'll be sailing".

Which is it, Rod Stewart? :colbert:

e: unless he's saying "I love you, but I'm not setting foot off of this boat"?

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

zedprime posted:

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm too young to have done it this way (I'm still old enough to remember times before instant answers at your fingertips), but my understanding is that reference librarians were the people to call for just those questions, and although my main frame of reference is the 1957 Hepburn-Tracy movie Desk Set, I imagine they were pretty happy to help even on the stupidest and most trivial questions, as long as they had the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyperlynx posted:

Speaking of lyrics, "Never will I roam/for I know my place is home" seems to be in direct contradiction with "Where the ocean meets the sky I'll be sailing".

e: unless he's saying "I love you, but I'm not setting foot off of this boat"?

The boat is his wife

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Milo and POTUS posted:

The boat is his wife

Still waiting for a followup where he exits international waters and attempts to untangle the legalities of this relationship

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Apr 20, 2021

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

mng posted:

You'll understand him better once you see how he lives his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA

This guy looks and sounds precisely like an old landlord of mine and it makes his videos that much funnier.

I don't think my old landlord would apologize for dropping an n-bomb though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

The boat is his wife

Captain Hygiene posted:

Still waiting for a followup where he exits international waters and attempts to untangle the legalities of this relationship

I think you're cracked it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

The boat is his wife

Yeah the song is clearly about a returned war veteran ("Let me still exist in another place/Runnin' undercover of a helicopter blade") who is separated from his wife and masturbating dispassionately on his boat ("Love may still exist in another place/I'm just yankin' back the handle, no expression on my face")

Hyperlynx posted:

He didn't even write the song, it's a cover!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the song is clearly about a returned war veteran ("Let me still exist in another place/Runnin' undercover of a helicopter blade")
Looking up the lyrics, yeah, definitely war. I wonder if he's still at war, though - "Love may still be alive somewhere, someway
Where they're downing only deer, a hundred steel towns away"

quote:

who is separated from his wife and masturbating dispassionately on his boat ("Love may still exist in another place/I'm just yankin' back the handle, no expression on my face")
Yeah, no. The bit before that is

"Oh, I've got lightning in my veins
Shifting like the handle of a slot machine"

It's part of the metaphor of the slot machine. What it means I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not wanking.

quote:

He didn't even write the song, it's a cover!
:shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
All I know is that no one has given enough of a poo poo to annotate a single line of the song on Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, no. The bit before that is

"Oh, I've got lightning in my veins
Shifting like the handle of a slot machine"

It's part of the metaphor of the slot machine. What it means I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not wanking.

Well what else do you hold in your hand that is veiny and shaped liked a slot machine handle with a knob at the end????