Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Absolutely not, but it being available on iOS and PC is a good sign for people who do want to use in-home streaming using your own console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The point of upgrading the servers is to run multiple 1s instances per machine from what i remember, not to improve performance

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

American McGay posted:

Absolutely not, but it being available on iOS and PC is a good sign for people who do want to use in-home streaming using your own console.

You’ve been able to stream your own console for a while now on iOS using the Xbox app. Unfortunately I can’t stream anything besides my Xbox’s home screen, because iOS doesn’t support Series X controllers yet. Hopefully 14.5 comes out tomorrow and adds this.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It's both, gives them the flexibility to serve up the Series X version of a game (maybe this will be limited to GPU, who knows), or they can virtualize it out to like four One S instances if demand is higher or whatever. And using less power than the equivalent rack mounted One Ss iirc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just saw blades and reflexively thought "oh ffs it wasn't that good of a ui just let the blades die already good lord"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Doctor Nutt posted:

I just saw blades and reflexively thought "oh ffs it wasn't that good of a ui just let the blades die already good lord"

The current ui is blades turned sideways, blade lovers won

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Doctor Nutt posted:

What are you talking about? The blades were great. Much better than the poo poo they have now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

What are you talking about? The blades were great. Much better than the poo poo they have now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

For anyone that thought the blades were bad:

That '3D ring' interface was actually a strong internal contender for being the shipping interface design. It almost happened.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Concertina seems nice

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I definitely want to go back to some fugly fisher price nonsense than simply having all my games and apps organized into folders that I can organize however I prefer. It was bad on the bone because it was laggy and unresponsive but since the ui got the series s/x patch it's been great and has none of the issues I complained about for the majority of the lifetime of the bone consoles.

elf help book posted:

The current ui is blades turned sideways, blade lovers won

weebay.gif

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Don't ever really understand the complaints about the dash.... Like, what are you doing on there? Your past 5 played games and apps are right there and if you want something else you just hit the home button and it instantly takes you to your pins.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the fact that everyone freaks out constantly about their preferred dash (including the "the current dash is fine" people) just underscores that people should be able to customize their poo poo. who loving cares why does every single electronic have to have this stupid rear end ultra-homogenized design and aesthetic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

People idle on the dash trying to choose something for hours

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

barnold posted:

the fact that everyone freaks out constantly about their preferred dash (including the "the current dash is fine" people) just underscores that people should be able to customize their poo poo. who loving cares why does every single electronic have to have this stupid rear end ultra-homogenized design and aesthetic

They gotta show their ads off somewhere.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen a console interface that I liked, though some are worse than others.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Xbox UI is great. Also the revamped store interface is actually halfway decent now which is high praise when it comes to console storefronts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

American McGay posted:

The Xbox UI is great. Also the revamped store interface is actually halfway decent now which is high praise when it comes to console storefronts.

My only real complaint now is that since the series update the dash has been fast and responsive even on the bone which means they apparently let the bone dash remain garbage for years and only fixed it when they needed parity with current consoles.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm skeptical based on this game seemingly getting pushed back ad infinitum but who knows

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1384125798148317184?s=20

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Series S in stock at Microsoft's UK website.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is no way Psychonauts 2 is coming out this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just like Halo Infinite :allears:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm still confident they'll get Halo Infinite multiplayer out by the end of the year. It's a separate thing from the singleplayer and meant to be a standalone thing that lasts through the console gen. People play Halo for the multiplayer anyways so they could ditch the singleplayer entirely and as long as multiplayer gets out they're golden, they can just keep building on it over time with new maps and modes etc. and treat it as GaaS.

The updates 343 have provided have shown a lot of multiplayer stuff as well such as arenas, weapons, Spartan designs etc. so I think they're focusing a lot on delivering that. Halo doesn't really need any more story anyways, just get multiplayer out with a good amount of content (and variety!) and let them focus on that, especially since 343 excels at making really great multiplayer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like it would be a really bad idea to decouple the release of the MP from the regular game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I think the single player campaign is very important to a Halo release. I could’ve maybe seen them trying to decouple them to hit launch, but at this point it seems crazy. Things are going fine currently, take your time and put out the whole product. Which I think they will this year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can we play MLB the Show 21 now through Gamepass by using the usual New Zealand region change method?

[edit]
The answer is no. Ooh well, tonight is a Phantasy Star Online 2 night on the Xbox.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 19, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ErrEff posted:

For anyone that thought the blades were bad:

That '3D ring' interface was actually a strong internal contender for being the shipping interface design. It almost happened.
That 3d ring is really similar to an early Windows prototype, Spot, that never released.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ring’s not red enough.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Anno posted:

Yeah I think the single player campaign is very important to a Halo release. I could’ve maybe seen them trying to decouple them to hit launch, but at this point it seems crazy. Things are going fine currently, take your time and put out the whole product. Which I think they will this year.

I think the point is they just want one Halo multiplayer game that lasts the generation and can keep being updated (like Overwatch/Fortnite/Apex Legends etc.) and they can release singleplayer Halo games (albeit still with co-op etc.) whenever they like, without having to develop entirely new multiplayer components for each game and essentially start over, draining resources. The launch of future Halo titles could just be accompanied by some kind of content update for the existing Halo multiplayer standalone, such as some new maps/weapons and maybe modes? One thing for sure however is Halo multiplayer has a very long lifespan far beyond the singleplayer offerings and tying it to that in the current industry environment seems a bit unwise, imo.

Plus, I think 343 already said the multiplayer for the new Halo will be a standalone free-to-play game. They can support that for a really long time. People who get Halo Infinite will be doing so for the singleplayer and story, everyone will get multiplayer for free. I can see it working well if done right, and 343 can do multiplayer right. Has the added bonus of saving storage space as well since people can keep the Halo standalone multiplayer installed and delete Halo Infinite after they've finished with the story, which seems like a good solution.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Separating single and multiplayer seems good for the consumer at least, unless they do something crazy like charge $70 for each.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sorry man but the blades were in fact real good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo campaign was important when it was Bungie. Now it's totally dead after the cluster gently caress of 4 and 5.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if they sell the MP seperately before they launch the singleplayer then the campaign is DOA. I can't imagine how people could give a gently caress about the Halo singleplayer after 5

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Halo died with the 360, and Infinite looks to be just another stinker. I really want to be proven wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

if they sell the MP seperately before they launch the singleplayer then the campaign is DOA. I can't imagine how people could give a gently caress about the Halo singleplayer after 5

The plan is to release episodic coop chapters for 10 years they really want people to love it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Halo died with the 360, and Infinite looks to be just another stinker. I really want to be proven wrong.
It's still 343 in charge so I would assume that it's still going to suck until proven otherwise

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

SUNKOS posted:

I think the point is they just want one Halo multiplayer game that lasts the generation and can keep being updated (like Overwatch/Fortnite/Apex Legends etc.) and they can release singleplayer Halo games (albeit still with co-op etc.) whenever they like, without having to develop entirely new multiplayer components for each game and essentially start over, draining resources. The launch of future Halo titles could just be accompanied by some kind of content update for the existing Halo multiplayer standalone, such as some new maps/weapons and maybe modes? One thing for sure however is Halo multiplayer has a very long lifespan far beyond the singleplayer offerings and tying it to that in the current industry environment seems a bit unwise, imo.

Plus, I think 343 already said the multiplayer for the new Halo will be a standalone free-to-play game. They can support that for a really long time. People who get Halo Infinite will be doing so for the singleplayer and story, everyone will get multiplayer for free. I can see it working well if done right, and 343 can do multiplayer right. Has the added bonus of saving storage space as well since people can keep the Halo standalone multiplayer installed and delete Halo Infinite after they've finished with the story, which seems like a good solution.

I think what we’re gonna get is a launcher with a F2P multiplayer option and various campaigns that get added as time goes on. Both the single and multiplayer will be things they add on for 10 years.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What didn't you like about Halo 5's singleplayer?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would expect the multi-player to be free to play, and money is made through battle pass, and bonuses for being Ultimate Gamepass Subscriber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, typical GaaS where they make money through cosmetics.

I just hope that the multiplayer they release has the three cores of Slayer, Big Team Battle and Firefight.

I know Forge is cool but it kinda sucks when a bunch of Forge maps infest the playlists so I hope that doesn't happen too much this time round. 343 make really good multiplayer maps and they have good visual variety, so I hope they follow the Gears model when it comes to that rather than leaning too much on Forge mode.

They've made some really great additions to the sandbox with Halo 4 & 5 as well so I'm excited to see what new weapons/abilities/vehicles they add with the new game as well.