Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

PMush Perfect posted:

Is Gran Torino dead, or just hospitalized and retiring indefinitely?

The latter. If it was the former we would've gotten a scene with him dying I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that’d make sense. Incidentally, what are the rules about Quirk usage by civilians? Are they still outright banned in public like they were in Vigilantes or would they be allowed to use them for like a job or something?
You can use your Quirk in private or on private property as much as you like (presumably subject to indirect limits). In public, you need a license, although something like Inko picking her keys out of a storm drain would probably either be ignored or never be noticed.

There seem to be a range of licenses, they just dont' come up much. I imagine most of them don't come with the permission to use your quirk on other humans (except, like, the ones where that is the entire point, such as Recovery Girl's)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

1A vs 1B is cool and you all are really weirdly hung up on Momo losing and Mushroom Girl for some reason

Momo's plan to stop Gigantomachia should've just been to pull Mushroom Girl out of a backpack and then make a bunch of tank-sized mushrooms in his throat.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RareAcumen posted:

Momo's plan to stop Gigantomachia should've just been to pull Mushroom Girl out of a backpack and then make a bunch of tank-sized mushrooms in his throat.

Then we learn that he has teeth in there, too. No thanks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Why didn't they put Toadette's spores in a (Dabi-proof) container and chuck that into Machia's throat and then choke him that way instead of waiting however long for the anesthetic to kick in

Or a smoke grenade, where the smoke is the spores

Or have her spread her spores out in front of Machia's path, because they can't keep up Dabi's firewall forever, and we've seen her magically teleport them into characters' vicinities when the plot demanded it, so...

MHA has a very bad case of "You get One Good Scene where your powers work and then you become absolutely useless" for 90% of its cast

Rudoku posted:

Then we learn that he has teeth in there, too. No thanks.

Turns out that's where the real Twice has been hiding all this time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe Machia's body is such an inhospitable environment that even mushrooms can't survive there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If only Momo's power was being Joseph Joestar...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vinylshadow posted:

Why didn't they put Toadette's spores in a (Dabi-proof) container and chuck that into Machia's throat and then choke him that way instead of waiting however long for the anesthetic to kick in

Or have her spread her spores out in front of Machia's path, because they can't keep up Dabi's firewall forever, and we've seen her magically teleport them into characters' vicinities when the plot demanded it, so...

MHA has a very bad case of "You get One Good Scene where your powers work and then you become absolutely useless" for 90% of its cast

In my day, we called this Araki Syndrome. :corsair:

e:f;b by like an hour

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Turns out that's where the real Twice has been hiding all this time

They handwave it away with "dabi's flames and heat are loving up her ability to use her powers"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It is pretty funny that Horikoshi needed to specifically put in a reason for why she couldn't take out Gigantomachia though. She's so busted, lol.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

rannum posted:

They handwave it away with "dabi's flames and heat are loving up her ability to use her powers"

It did lead to Dabidance, so...silver lining, I guess?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's been a while, but didn't one of Mushroom Girl's teammates create a damp environment where they were fighting such that her mushrooms could grow everywhere, even in people's mouths?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 19, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

It's been a while, but didn't one of Mushroom Girl's teammates create a damp environment where they were fighting such that her mushrooms could grow everywhere, even in people's mouths?

Yes, Onomatopoei,a or whatever their name is, was just saying DRIP or something to make things more humid. There's probably a handful of other people who could do something similar, but again, we're saying that Dabi is too hot for that to work.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

All for One gave Gigantomachia the immune to mushrooms quirk

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean, mouths are already pretty damp so I'm not sure if that's necessary for growing them there.

But yes, Manga was helping and she also carries spray bottles to help with growing them.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

oh jay posted:

Yes, Onomatopoei,a or whatever their name is, was just saying DRIP or something to make things more humid. There's probably a handful of other people who could do something similar, but again, we're saying that Dabi is too hot for that to work.

Oh it was unrelated to that

But I'm getting a sense that probably the intention of Kendo's "I didn't feel like I won" was that while Momo and her team was pulling off plans and counter plans, and new abilities with their Quriks, Kendo's team basically used brute force and "spam mushrooms" to win, which wasn't really heroic or demonstrate that Kendo was being hyped up by her class Monoma as the Momo of Group B

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Oh it was unrelated to that

But I'm getting a sense that probably the intention of Kendo's "I didn't feel like I won" was that while Momo and her team was pulling off plans and counter plans, and new abilities with their Quriks, Kendo's team basically used brute force and "spam mushrooms" to win, which wasn't really heroic or demonstrate that Kendo was being hyped up by her class Monoma as the Momo of Group B

Nah, Kendo's strategy was way better. Kendo predicted what Momo's first move would be (long-range attack by Dark Shadow) and told her team how to counter it (Vantablack possesses him). She then also predicts how Momo will react to that (Aoyama lightshow) and told her team how to counter this (Mushroom spam) and to use the light to locate Momo's team and take advantage by separating Momo from the team with Manga's Onomatopoeia so she can be ambushed.

She figured all of this out before the match, told her team exactly how the match would proceed and what to do and then left them alone so she could 1v1 Momo, proving that her plan was miles ahead. She then won and was still able to drag Momo and a cannon around Manga's Onomatopoeia to rescue him, capturing half the opposing team by herself. Kendo completely bodies Momo intellectually and physically, which is why everyone praising the latter is such a meme. Her team also does use a bunch of combo's and are pretty handily crushing 1-A by fighting smart from the shadows until Momo's care package lets Tokoyami go beast on them.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is that what happened?

My bad, like I said it's been a while since I read that fight in the manga

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

Nah, Kendo's strategy was way better. Kendo predicted what Momo's first move would be (long-range attack by Dark Shadow) and told her team how to counter it (Vantablack possesses him). She then also predicts how Momo will react to that (Aoyama lightshow) and told her team how to counter this (Mushroom spam) and to use the light to locate Momo's team and take advantage by separating Momo from the team with Manga's Onomatopoeia so she can be ambushed.

She figured all of this out before the match, told her team exactly how the match would proceed and what to do and then left them alone so she could 1v1 Momo, proving that her plan was miles ahead. She then won and was still able to drag Momo and a cannon around Manga's Onomatopoeia to rescue him, capturing half the opposing team by herself. Kendo completely bodies Momo intellectually and physically, which is why everyone praising the latter is such a meme. Her team also does use a bunch of combo's and are pretty handily crushing 1-A by fighting smart from the shadows until Momo's care package lets Tokoyami go beast on them.

Yeah, if anything it was 1-A that was largely reactive and had to rely on brute force, since after getting countered again and again their strategy eventually came down to, "Protect Tokoyami from 1-B's bullshit and let him wreck the place." Which admittedly would have worked if it weren't for Mushroom Girl being crazy OP herself, because Tokoyami is stupidly powerful when not directly countered.

Which, well, actually happens a lot; it's what let Bakugo beat him with zero effort in the tournament, what stopped him after his rampage annihilated Moonfish, what made him trying to rescue Hawks from Dabi particularly dangerous, etc. Is Mushroom Girl the only person to beat him without using some source of light or fire, or am I forgetting something?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 19, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The real takeaway from that fight is that Kendo should murder and replace Mineta

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheKingofSprings posted:

The real takeaway from that fight is that Kendo should murder and replace Mineta

You could say that about any character including the ones that are already in Class 1-A.

Hell, the sludge monster from the first chapters should kill and replace Mineta.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is that what happened?

My bad, like I said it's been a while since I read that fight in the manga

Well you're not really wrong in how we're probably meant to judge the fight but man did Hori drop the ball on translating that on to the page. I love the fight but jeez.

I get the feeling that Hori was improvising the fight a lot. It starts by saying that Kendo's strength is making quick decisions on the fly and next chapter she's masterminded the whole match up to that point before it started. Then the cliffhanger is that Momo is about to turn the tables on Kendo and do something awesome but Hori just couldn't seem to figure out how to make her look good so just defaulted to Tokoyami popping off instead.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 19, 2021

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it has been [0] days since the last momo discourse

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RareAcumen posted:

If only Momo's power was being Joseph Joestar...

We'd have begged for Deku to retire if this were true

Hell, I wanna see this now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Forget Hermit Purple, his quirk is the “your next line” thing

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

it has been [0] days since the last momo discourse

kidc do you read jujutsu kaisen

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Forget Hermit Purple, his quirk is the “your next line” thing

Absolutely! And don't forget his other special quality that people often overlook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0gljFf98ds&t=251s

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

raw scans seem to be quite interesting with things like Tinkerdeku, Dark-haired Bakugo, DRAMATIC BENTO EATING, and still more parallels between old and new generations of heroes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vinylshadow posted:

raw scans seem to be quite interesting with things like Tinkerdeku, Dark-haired Bakugo, DRAMATIC BENTO EATING, and still more parallels between old and new generations of heroes

So that's not Dark haired Bakugo that's the 2nd OFA user. They show the faces of the 2nd and 3rd and the 2nd looks suspiciously like Bakugo with a huge scar down his face. Please don't do some time travel bullshit Horikoshi. Hopefully he's Bakugo's great grandfather or something.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://w23.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-310/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really hope they reveal the 2nd’s quirk quickly to squash the Bakugo time travel theory.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm going to second the guess that he's related to Bakugo but definitely isn't Actually Bakugo Katsuki, Time Traveler. It's a little cliche but it makes the story really come full circle for him to be related though.

The main problem with the theory is that I'm not sure what Grampa Bakugo's quirk would be that could help Deku in any way. Bakugo got the perfect mix of his parents' otherwise mostly weak quirks. His mom sweats glycerin and his dad sweats a much weaker acid from his palms that can spark but definitely isn't as powerful as Katsuki's nitroglycerin. Not sure how you backtrack from there to get something worth having.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Bakugrandpa is legit I’m confiscating Horikoshi’s Avatar DVDs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's not Bakugou or an ancestor. It's just a dude with spikey hair and a similar face. He looks even more different when you finally see him in profile. This is probably the only time I've seen Hori really trip over the 'sameface' thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's not Bakugou or an ancestor. It's just a dude with spikey hair and a similar face. He looks even more different when you finally see him in profile. This is probably the only time I've seen Hori really trip over the 'sameface' thing.

That line about victory is 100% a Bakugou thing to say, maybe the official translation will have something different but as is it’s definitely got real Dynamight energy to it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Bakugo Time Traveler Enjoyers about to pop the biggest bottles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone getting distracted by the Bakugo theories are gonna be in for a huge surprise when it turns out the other OfA user is a Todoroki.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everyone getting distracted by the Bakugo theories are gonna be in for a huge surprise when it turns out the other OfA user is a Todoroki.

"My name is Pappy Todoroki. I was thinking about giving OfA to my son Enji but he was a prick so I didn't."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also this is all overshadowing the cute giant mutant lady Deku rescues. I have no idea what she is supposed to be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I don't think it's Bakugo, but I think the resemblance is deliberate on Hori's part. He's too competent of an artist for this to be an accident.