Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spall Talk/Mature Listeners
RSS Feed
Description: Spall Talk, the only podcast where two siblings talk about the life and career of Timothy Spall, is on hiatus, and in its place is Mature Listeners, wherein Niel (I Before E) and Shane (NienNunb) discuss the life and death of Vertigo Comics.
Comedy/Film/Comics/Wrestling Misc Discussion
Updates every other week

Mature Listeners 17: Sandman Mystery Theater #1-12: When Queensbury 3:16 Meets Wilde 9mm Glock w/@LeavittAlone

On the latest episode, we discuss Sandman Mystery Theater, which is a comic that has 4 good issues, 4 mediocre issues, and 4 awful issues in its first collection, and we bring on artist, activist, and historical aficionado John Leavitt to chat about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I have a movie podcast called Filmography Club where I focus on the work of one filmmaker. I also do episodes called Filmography Club: Our Favorite Movies where my guests aren't "movie people" but just any ol' person with a favorite movie who wants to talk about it.

Schedule is every other Tuesday with time off between seasons.

I host and edit the show.

I'm a part of the We Own This Town podcast family out of Nashville, who produces the show.

https://weownthistown.net/shows/filmography-club/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/filmography-club/id1481516802

https://open.spotify.com/show/4xtCGDp95BMGVjk6sWejh9

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/In7lmyllikz5lg2evyt7vrxu2ia

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts--Culture-Podcasts/Filmography-Club-p1253473/

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RSS Feed
Description: Spall Talk, the only podcast where two siblings talk about the life and career of Timothy Spall, is on hiatus, and in its place is Mature Listeners, wherein Niel (I Before E) and Shane (NienNunb) discuss the life and death of Vertigo Comics.
Updates every other week

Mature Listeners 18: Transmetropolitan Vol. 2: The Aquarium ft @EveningJessie and @buhrianmorgan

Content note: in this episode we discuss the sexual misconduct allegations against Warren Ellis. We try to avoid going into unnecessary detail that may trigger survivors of similar abuse while still communicating the substance of the allegations, but nothing we could say could take the place of the testimonies given by the signatories at https://somanyofus.com. Please read those testimonies at your own pace.

In this episode, Jessie and Brian join us to discuss more Transmetropolitan, how the reaction to this work was instrumental in creating the fan community Ellis would go on to exploit, and what genuine insights make this book compelling enough even today that it could create that sort of community. We also do a draft of our favorite cinema snacks because we need something to talk about that doesn't make us extremely despondent about the failures of institutions to protect those who trust them.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Boy it's been a while since I posted here, let's do a massive post of all the stuff we've made for the past couple of months on

Breaking Mayberry

Soundcloud
iTunes
RSS
iHeartRadio
Spreaker
Stitcher
YouTube
Spotify

Genre: Comedy, Entertainment, History(?)
Release Schedule: Weekly-ish
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BreakMayberry
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BreakingMayberry/
Email us: breakingmayberry@gmail.com

Breaking Mayberry is a comedy/criticism podcast where two guys (one of which is me) go back and watch every episode of the Andy Griffith Show to understand why its such a big deal. What made this show such a cultural touchstone, and why is it always brought up by conservatives as "the way things should be?" Along the way, we learn about the turbulent '60s, come up with fan theories, and explore the weird world of Mayberry. The comedy holds up - the lessons not so much.

Two idiots and their much more intelligent guests take on classic TV (mostly the Andy Griffith Show) to see the weird messages they broadcast into American homes, and assess what holds up and what caused permanent damage to the psyche of an entire generation.

Join hosts Marty Schneider and Dan Ludwig as they descend into the madness of Boomer television, and occasionally break down their own childhood television addictions.

NEW EPISODES

60: Okay, Daddy, I'll Just Read Your Lips

Dan falls in love with a trumpet player, we find a band-leader from another dimension, and we'll take you on a tour of Philly's most artistic penis graffiti. All that, plus we'll talk about an Andy Griffith Show episode! It's Season 3, Episode 8 "The Mayberry Band!"

61: Floyd, The Gay Deciever

Okay, but like, that's the actual name of the Andy Griffith episode, we straight-up could not come up with anything funnier than that. The title makes no sense whatsoever, and neither does the episode. poo poo does get weird in this one though.

It's Season 3, Episode 7 - Floyd, The Gay Deciever!

62: Call Me By Al's Name

It's time for a WOMANHUNT as Marty and Dan meet three escaped convicts from the women's prison - and boy does the Andy Griffith Show think that's hilarious. We're talking murderous millionaires, the ins and outs of eating a banana, and long-distance gay love stories between public transit fans.

It's Season 3, Episode 11 "Convicts At Large!"

63: Glenn Ford and the Sticky Boy

In this episode, we learn what a bed jacket is, and how Aunt Bee makes it weird and sexual. We also meet the grossest sticky boy and yell about people who were not in movies. All that, plus a rare episode where Marty and Dan are 100% on Barney Fife's side.

It's Season 3, Episode 12 "The Bed Jacket", and Episode 13, "The Bank Job"

63: Glenn Ford and the Sticky Boy

In this episode, we learn what a bed jacket is, and how Aunt Bee makes it weird and sexual. We also meet the grossest sticky boy and yell about people who were not in movies. All that, plus a rare episode where Marty and Dan are 100% on Barney Fife's side.

64: Getting Dietary Fiber Through Illicit Means

We begin today's episode by pondering the moral conundrums left by Young MC in 1989's "Bust A Move" and end it by watching life turn a lonely child into a super villain. This episode goes some places.

It's Season 3, Episode 14 "One Punch Opie" and Episode 15 "Barney and the Governor"

65: Tim Conway, Donkey Fighter

Okay, quick note, for the first like 45 minutes of this episode, we sort of forget that horses, donkeys, and mules are different animals, just go with it.

It's our mid-season break episode and we're exploring the films of Don Knotts some more! It's time to watch the Apple Dumpling Gang, Gus, and The Love God?!

Or, actually, don't. Don't watch any of those things, they're bad. Listen to us instead.

66: The Rough One

The Andy Griffith Show is a show about cops, and that means Breaking Mayberry is a show about a show about cops, and that means Marty and Dan have to answer a lot of hard questions.

After deliberating on this for about 20 minutes and probably still getting it wrong, we move on to an episode of the Andy Griffith Show that AG fans love, and leaves us a sweaty, tearful mess.

It's Season 3, Episode 16 "Man In A Hurry"

67: Okay, Mayor, You Shoot The Goat (w/ Darryl Charles)

The boys get a visit from stand-up comedian, improv guy, and host of DTF With Darryl and Timaree Darryl Charles (http://www.darrylcharlescomedy.com/) to talk about goats, goats, and more goats. Well, really, one specific goat - a goat that might explode.

Marty, Dan, and Darryl talk about the decline of goats in America, their weird little square pupils, famous goats.... really this is a goat-heavy episode, I don't know what to tell you.

68: Breaking Mayberry Sells Out

Listen, we've been doing this for two years now, it's absolute madness that we haven't had Blue Apron call us up yet, and we're doing an episode about it!

Look, these Andy Griffith episodes are good, they're even GREAT, which means, of course, that we go out of our way to avoid talking about them.

Watch Marty and Dan try to bully their way into a sponsorship deal, with Season 3, episodes 19 and 20, "The Reunion" and "Rafe Hollister Sings"

69: Unionize the Children (w/ Mickey Schneider-Hanna)

It's a Schneider family affair as Marty's sister Mickey joins us to talk about a good ol' Andy Griffith parenting episode. We're discussing allowances, Jerry Seinfeld's teenage girlfriend, and elementary school "horse girls." Plus, hey - don't hit kids. Come on.

It's Season 3, Episode something - "Opie and the Spoiled Kid"

Eating Onions, Very Erotic

If this was the first and only episode of Breaking Mayberry you ever listened to, you'd probably think "wow, those guys sure use the word 'horny' a lot" - and you'd be correct.

Marty and Dan continue to struggle with Gomer Pyle, Aunt Bee is hot for a racist, and the Mayberry PD does nothing to solve a crime in Season 3, Episodes 22 and 24 - "The Great Filling Station Robbery" and "Aunt Bee's Medicine Man"

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

The show's name Tabletop Dropouts
The show's website URL https://ttdpodcast.com
iTunes URL or RSS URLhttps://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tabletop-dropouts/id1521848315
The show's genre Hobby/Gaming
Release schedule (weekly? monthly?) Weekly
A brief description of what your show's all about
The guys Mike, Zach, and George talk about tabletop games, cool stuff they found on the Internet, interview game designers, and discuss the ongoing developments in the tabletop world

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

The show's name: Player vs Plot
The show's website URL: http://playervsplot.com
iTunes URL or RSS URL: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/player-vs-plot/id1492203012
The show's genre: Video games, literary analysis
Release schedule (weekly? monthly?): Weekly every Monday (per season)
A brief description of what your show's all about: We summarize video game plots and analyze them! Check it out if you're curious about a game and want to know its major story beats and thematic elements but probably won't get around to playing it, or if you're into a game and would like to look at it from a different lens. We're not claiming to be experts, but we can promise you that we take every game plot 100% seriously.

As for where to start, I would probably start with anything in Season 2 or episode 10 of Season 1, because those are all recorded on our new audio setup. Some of my favorite episodes are:

Street Fighter II: Our latest episode. This one talks about how Street Fighter II shook up the basic storytelling content and form assumptions we make about fighting games. We also go through the motivations and plotlines of all 8 of the original world warriors. We also chat about the narrative framing of an arcade fighting game and how the experience of using a cabinet affects the story being told.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: This is a pretty standard format episode for us, though one of our longer ones. We don't summarize all of the lore of Sekiro, but rather give you some historical background, run you through the major story beats, and chat about some of the most pertinent things the game is trying to say.

Platformer Lightning Round: Super Mario Bros. 1, Donkey Kong Country 1, and Celeste: This is a "lightning round" episode where we spend 30-45 minutes breaking down some shorter games. This one focuses on platformers and gets into the narrative implications of some of their most essential elements.

Power Progression: This is a "topic episode", which we typically do a couple times a season. We discuss how leveling up and other forms of "numbers go up" have shaped video game narratives and how they can be used effectively to tell stories.

Interview with Amos Sorri: Another change of pace episode. In this one we interviewed the creator of Sauna 2000 from the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc. We chat about horror and comedy, the PS1 aesthetic, and how his game acts as a window into his Finnish childhood.

If you like those and are willing to hear us talk at lower audio quality, season 1 has some of my favorite episodes too. Check out the Pokemon and Doki Doki Literature Club episodes in particular!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RSS Feed
Updates every other week

Mature Listeners 19: Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol Part 1: Failson Dipshit Cody w/@AllNewDom

Dom from The Armchair Auteur rejoins us for the first of a series of episodes on Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, and if you don't like wrestling, skip the first uhhhhhhhhhh hour? We also talk about Tom King Batman, The Snyder Cut, and Timothy Dalton as James Bond. We also draft our favorite iced cream treats.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Good Stuf, With Rob and Nick
RSS feed
Comedy/Food Podcast
New episode every tuesday

Good Stuf with Rob and Nick is a podcast dedicated tasting every single oreo that has ever been made, and ranking them on a tier list. There are over 200 flavors, and we plan to tackle 1-2 an episode so we got a long way to go. We spend most of the podcasts talking about oreos and having strong opinions on other food topics. This is our first episode, and we rank the original oreo, and double stuf to start us off on this long and hilarious journey.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Flash In The Pan

Genre: Comedy, Internet History, Media Crit
RSS Feed | iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter

Latest Episodes:

Episode 46: I've Always Been A Cheeseman (feat. BitterKarella)
Artist and writer BitterKarella joins Alex and Tom for three dated dalliances. MR. WONG is racist garbage, I WANT A FAT BABE is a fetish anthem, and DRAINING THE LIZARD ON A DEAD GAY WIZARD is the apotheosis of Harry Potter fandom snark. This episode isn’t one for your gran!

Episode 47: Unstoppable Parade of Deadly Bungee Jumps
He’s coming. He’s coming. He’s coming. It’s GEORGE WASHINGTON, and he’s followed by a couple of KNOX’s KLAY WORLD toons! On this episode Alex and Tom talk about Hamilton, deadpan comedy, and who invented cocaine.

Episode 48: Royal Dick Sorcery
After a long hell-hiatus, Alex and Tom are back with one of the most influential animations in history with REJECTED! Elsewhere, we get Dangeresque with some STRONG BAD EMAIL and take a short ride in FETTE’S VETTE. Also, Flash news, and your favourite historical oddballs! It’s a packed episode!

Release Schedule: Every couple of weeks!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
e: defunct

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 18, 2021

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

With Chinese Characteristics

What it's about : Generally Cherrie, a member of the Chinese diaspora, discusses topics with with me, an American. We try to bring up topics that people in the west may not have a complete understanding of, due to cultural or language differences. We also try to be funny sometimes but usually fail.

Genre: Chinese History, Politics, and Culture also a bit of comedy
RSS Feed | iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify | Twitter

Latest Episodes:

Episode 5: Concubines to Comrades, 100 Years of Chinese Marriages
Just 100 years ago in China, concubinage was not an uncommon sight and did not raise many eyebrows. Fast forward to today, from the ending of the last Imperial Dynasty in Chinese history, to the Republic of China, to the People’s Republic of China, Chinese society was turned upside down and with it, the tradition, culture and practice of the institution of Marriages.
In this episode, we explore changes in Chinese Marriages in the last 100 years and how Chinese women’s standing in society transforms alongside with the institution of marriage.

Episode 4: The Invincible Black Flag Army
The 1800s were a time of great humiliation and loss for the Chinese people, usually remembered now as the 'Century of Shame'. However among that, resistance to colonial pressure came from the most unlikely of sources.
In this episode, Natalie discusses the life of Liu Yongfu and his Black Flag army. Their origin from rebels and bandits, and their evolution into a guerrilla army that resisted two imperial powers.

Episode 3: From Korea to Covid, China’s Four Pests Campaigns
Nearly sixty years ago, China declared an all out war on the bird of capitalism: sparrows. In this episode, we discuss the goals, the reality, the hysteria, the environmental impact of the legendary Four Pests Campaign. What started off as a health campaign to combat allegations of American biological warfare quickly evolved into one of the first of Mao's great social mass mobilizations - and the near extinction of sparrows in China. We also discuss the legacy and the historical memory of this event in China, and how it features in the country’s 2020 Coronavirus response.

Release Schedule: Currently every Sunday Evening.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 12, 2020

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Where to listen:
Anchor | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher | Overcast | Google

Follow us:
Twitter | Facebook

Genre:
Comedy/Food Podcast

Schedule:

About:
Good Stuf with Rob and Nick is a podcast dedicated tasting every single oreo that has ever been made, and ranking them on a tier list. There are over 200 flavors, and we plan to tackle 1-2 an episode so we got a long way to go. We spend most of the podcasts talking about oreos and having strong opinions on other food topics. This is our first episode, and we rank the original oreo, and double stuf to start us off on this long and hilarious journey.

Latest Episodes
Mega and Most Stuf Oreos
Rob and Nick review Mega and Most Stuf Oreos, and try and nail down the elusive "stuf" scale. They also talk about snacks, lobsters, and find a very niche throw pillow with lots of weird and probably robot generated reviews.

Chocolate Marshmallow Oreos

Rob and Nick review Chocolate Marshmallow Oreos. We find some silver linings in our lives as we live through a pandemic. Also talk about weird legal definitions of various foods.

Fudge Covered Dark Chocolate Oreos
Rob and Nick taste Fudge Covered Dark Chocolate Oreos. Nick wonders if this oreo going to set the new standard for excellence in oreo? Rob talks about the impossible food triads. We also talk about video games.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Icon Garden

Where to Listen:
iTunes | Overcast | Spotify | Google | RSS

Follow us:
Twitter

Genre:
Technology

About the Show:
The Icon Garden is a tech podcast with a focus on Apple. We aim for reasoned discussion without the fanboyism or hyperbole. Every episode has a specific main topic, not necessarily Apple related. Shows also feature tech news coverage and a regular home automation segment. Also, every month I post a scripted deep-dive into a topic on Apple or computing history.

Latest Episodes:
Macinography 15: The Road to ARMageddon
November 2020 marks the thirtieth anniversary of ARM Limited. With Apple switching to Arm-based Apple Silicon for Macs, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's Arm's desktop debut, but it's not the first time for Arm on desktop. How did ARM go from powering Acorn Computers, a veteran of the British Micro wars, into the world's most popular architecture? And how did Apple and ARM save each other in their hours of need? Listen in to find out.

Episode 49: Apple October 2020 iPhone Event
It’s the day after an Apple Special Event! Dan and Jake convene to discuss HomePods Mini and new iPhones, in all sizes great and small. What did we like? What are we buying, or not? Or really... how MANY HomePods Mini is Jake buying? Join us for our recap and reactions to the iPhone 12 event!

Episode 48: App Store Relations with Maegan Wilson
Special Guest developer Maegan Wilson joins the show. What's going on in Maegan's tech life, and how is life in the App Store these days? We dig into Jake's new LG HomeKit TV, witness the arrival of his new Apple Watch, and then dig into life as an iOS developer in 2020. It's a wonderful discussion focusing on life as a small developer.

Release Schedule:
Bi-Weekly regular and Monthly special special episodes. Posted on Wednesdays.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 22, 2020

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sword of Symphonies

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | Twitter | Website | Game Manual

Genre: Tabletop RPG Actual Play

Duration: Around 50 minutes for a play session, 35 minutes for discussion

Release: Weekly, on Saturday

Together we Can Survive

Over a hundred years ago, the world melted. The great Cloudcomb Mountains collapsed, flooding the world as if wiping humanity off the slate and making room for horrors, beasts, and demons. Humanity has survived this long. The Deiliths, the divine monuments that keep watch over the world, appoint their chosen ones to push back against the darkness, and together they fight to reclaim what humans once had.

Sword of Symphonies is an Actual Playtest podcast about our in-development tabletop role-playing game Heroic Chord. Join Cat, the game's designer, along with her friends as we play through the setting, discuss the system, and talk a bit about game design writ large. If you want to play along, give the game a spin, or just learn the rules behind the playtest, download the manual for free right here! It’s an optimistic adventure about bringing hope back to a destroyed world, and we hope it makes you smile.

I haven't posted ITC for a really long time!
But now Lowtax doesn't own the site, and I might as well spam my bullshit here again. Since I last posted, we've kept on trucking, and a lot has happened! We finished the first season of the podcast, made some more changes to the game, and currently, we're taking turns GMing some short stories. The show, as always, remains pretty tightly edited, and I think we keep getting better at it! This is a great time to jump on board if you're interested in listening.

Current Chapter:
Veldt Stories:

While we prepare the game and manual for Sword of Symphonies Season Two, We're doing a bunch of mini campaigns, set on the interior of the melted continent Amylte, the Goathome Veldt.

Veldt Stories, Chapter Five!

Nick takes the helm for this next Veldt Stories chapter! Meet Lain, Hazel, and uh….well, Rick is still here and he’s still up to his old tricks. How do we resolve conflicts in this world without rulers, and what does it have to do with Amylte's (literally) buried past?

GaramSoya
Jan 15, 2019
The Dirty Dogg House Podcast

ep 43: My dick is infinitely better round

this is just a slice of life show about two friends that live in Scotland that are trying really hard not to kill themselves

https://soundcloud.com/dirtydogghouse/ep-43-my-dick-is-infinitely-better-round-201120

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Ephemera, the storytelling podcast about the Internet, has two releases since I last posted in this thread.
Genre: Storytelling/NPR
Duration: about 25 minutes a month
The show's website URL: http://storiesfromtheinter.net
RSS URL: http://ephemera.libsyn.com/RSS

First, there's E20: America Is The Dark Souls Of Things You Can Walk Across, which is an infamous :goonstory: from this very website. The previous goonstory episode I did was very well received, and so episode 20 looks at the story of SA goon 'Muerte', who tried to walk across America to raise awareness of mental health.

And then, released just this afternoon, E21: An Outward Expression Of An Inward Faith, which looks at our pandemic world and asks questions about virtually-mediated religious locations and congregation. There's a special focus on virtual reality and the sacrament of baptism.

Please enjoy! Thank you.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Where to listen:
Anchor | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher | Overcast | Google

Follow us:
Twitter | Facebook

Genre:
Comedy/Food Podcast

Schedule:

About:

Latest Episodes
White Fudge Covered Oreos
Nick and Rob review White Fudge Covered Oreos. They talk a lot about holiday things in december! Nick drops some apple hot takes and talks about his unique birthday tradition. Rob gets very, VERY opinionate about this oreo. They also get the date wrong.

Maple Oreos
Nick and Rob review Maple oreos. The duo creates a horrifying dessert. Rob talks about a vermont classic that has a unique pairing. Nick also threatens to ruin Rob's day.

Golden Oreos
Nick and Rob review Golden Oreos. They talk a lot about various popular dining chains. Rob brings up a nightmare margarita. Nick talks about the fanciest oreo. They also lament the life of the sad turkey bacon man.

Dark Wombat
Oct 11, 2002
Swiping Left
https://audioboom.com/channels/5001179.rss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-39iKSQatfgr9qwAYrQ7g/featured
We're on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud, Google Play, and Player FM as well.

Genre
Comedy

Release schedule
Every Sunday at 5:00 Central

We're here to help YOU relieve a little bit of stress by talking about bad, weird, and creepy profiles in the world of online dating. We perform dramatic, silly, and often profane readings of dating profiles from across the web. So, join us for a few laughs at the bizarre things some people have written in the pursuit of companionship.

You can find us on Twitter @SwipeLeftPod (https://twitter.com/swipeleftpod) and email us at swipingleftpodcast@gmail.com.

And remember, don't touch any butts without permission.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spall Talk/Mature Listeners/Goof Troupe
RSS Feed
Description: Spall Talk, the only podcast where two siblings talk about the life and career of Timothy Spall, is on hiatus, and in its place is Mature Listeners, wherein Niel (I Before E) and Shane (NienNunb) discuss the life and death of Vertigo Comics, and we're spinning that off as well into Goof Troupe, a comedy movie double feature podcast
Updates every other week

Goof Troupe 2: Muppet Movie/Phantom Of The Paradise: Paul Williams Can Do It All

On the latest Goof Troupe, Brian, Shane, and Niel get into Kel Mitchell direct to DVD projects, big piles of pornography, Niel's Grand Taxonomy Of Basketball and whether Lebron James is a prick or an rear end in a top hat, and how bad Shane is at hiding what his Christmas gifts are as we discuss Paul Williams' masterworks, Phantom Of The Paradise and The Muppet Movie. We also discuss what we'd pitch for an HBO Max themed amusement park and get very nostalgic for movie theaters.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Flash In The Pan

Latest Episodes:

Episode 49: 60fps Snagglepuss
Tom and Alex are back with a musical extravaganza! Three powerful and influential music videos: SHII’S SONG brings us deep emotions, LONGCAT’S SONG brings us a Japanese man’s enigmatic pleasure, and STAMP ON THE GROUND gets us partying like it’s 2009! Plus, your emails, and Tom gets the giggles.

Episode 50: Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb
Hello from 20 years in the future! To celebrate this milestone, Tom and Alex have an episode dedicated to one of the first and greatest viral Internet sensations: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! Stick around for baffled news reporters and lovely comments and emails.

Episode 51: Soy Sauce Fish Blimp
In this XXL episode, Alex and Tom travel to Moscow for SUPER MARIO & THREE RUSSIAN BOGATURS, Osaka for FIGHT! KIKKOMAN, and the 2004 music scene for PUNK-O-MATIC. Also featuring Nickelodeon, alien remixes, crab trauma and your emails!

Episode 52: Gestures And Wiggling
Alex and Tom go from the obscure to the enormous this episode! We’ve got JewClock’s HANUKA SPECIAL bringing some holiday sentimentality, followed by the unstoppable force of CHARLIE THE UNICORN. Plus, your emails bring Japanese commentary and an experimental strain of mustard!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

lovely Mashups

Where to listen:
Apple
Spotify
Stitcher
Google (Google seems to always lag behind I have no idea why)
RSS

Social Stuff
Website | Really just a link collection and embedded player
Twitter | All episode previews and finished tracks end up here
Facebook | General facebook bullshit
Instagram | Really only posts the episode previews

Genre:
Music/Comedy

Release Schedule:
Every Friday

Every week in the Music Research Facility in the Center of the Earth, the two Challengers Ian and Ryan are given the parameters to make a mashup. When they're both done the Challenge Master Shane passes judgment on which one he liked more. Occasionally there are cutthroat kitchen style sabotages that the challengers can use to mess each other up. The loser is then sent out of the airlock and has a clone activated to complete the next challenge. Every Friday until the end of time, or until Sony wises up and sues us. It's a lot of fun.

Recent Episodes
Your First Favorite Album
The mashup must use a song from your first favorite album. Additionally, Ryan gives Ian a sabotage requiring that the track must be in G flat.

The Center of the Earth Christmas Spectacular
It's Christmas in the center of the earth, so the challengers have to use a Christmas song, obviously.

The Commercialization of Music
The Challengers must make a track using their favorite commercial jingles.

If you only want to hear the music without any talking they all get posted to the twitter with a varying amount of effort put into the video:
https://twitter.com/shitty_mashups/status/1342439956174671872?s=20

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sword of Symphonies

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | Twitter | Website | Game Manual | Story Recaps

Together we Can Survive

Over a hundred years ago, the world melted. The great Cloudcomb Mountains collapsed, flooding the world as if wiping humanity off the slate and making room for horrors, beasts, and demons. Humanity has survived this long. The Deiliths, the divine monuments that keep watch over the world, appoint their chosen ones to push back against the darkness, and together they fight to reclaim what humans once had.

Sword of Symphonies is an Actual Playtest podcast about our in-development tabletop role-playing game Heroic Chord. Join Cat, the game's designer, along with her friends as we play through the setting, discuss the system, and talk a bit about game design writ large. If you want to play along, give the game a spin, or just learn the rules behind the playtest, download the manual for free right here! It’s an optimistic adventure about bringing hope back to a destroyed world, and we hope it makes you smile.

We're starting season two! :toot:
After spending the summer and fall playing some other campaigns and games, it's time for Sword of Symphonies Season Two! While there's continuity from all the trillion episodes we've done before, the on-boarding process to Season 2 should be fairly easy. If you're looking for a tightly-edited, cozy adventure, join us every Saturday! We've also got audio summaries of Season One's arcs right here if you'd like to catch up on the story without committing to the whole thing.

Current Chapter:
Purity in Pearl

The Crew of the Westbreaker return! In the first arc of Season Two, Cobb, Tissa, and Penelope journey to Amylte's only remaining mountain, the Last Tooth, to pay respects to one of Cobb's old shipmates, and pick up something while they're there. It's also in the heart of Noble Demonhood on the continent. No big deal!

Season Two, Episode Zero
We catch back up with the crew, see how everyone's changed with some mechanics updates, and get set out on our next adventure!

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode One)
Cobb, Tissa, and Penelope find their way to the small mountain town of Dunbarrow, and meet Theo, a member of a local monestary. On the Last Tooth, everything's always a little more complicated than it seems.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RSS Feed
Description: Spall Talk, the only podcast where two siblings talk about the life and career of Timothy Spall, is on hiatus, and in its place is Mature Listeners, wherein Niel (I Before E) and Shane (NienNunb) discuss the life and death of Vertigo Comics, and we're spinning that off as well into Goof Troupe, a comedy movie double feature podcast
Updates every other week

Goof Troupe 3: On Cinema At The Cinema: The Comedy/Entertainment

On the latest Goof Troupe, Brian, Niel, and Shane discuss homophobic T-shirts, Chuck Berry, and which Richard E. Grant movies are "pogged up" as part of a discussion of Rick Alverson's The Comedy and Entertainment.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

RSS
Our Website
Instagram, where we also do some fun curation of concept art!
Twitter

Genre: Film and Arts Chat
Story structure, writing, character design and development, and most importantly, cartoons!

Cartoon Feelings is a weekly podcast all about cartoons and all the feelings we have for them. Speaking of we, CF is hosted by myself, animator and illustrator Caitlin Cadieux, and my co-host, comics artist Ira Marcks. A big essence of our friendship revolves around our shared love of cartoons and animation, character design, and nerding out hard about what makes a great and compelling story. The tagline for Cartoon Feelings could easily be "no, we're NOT overthinking this!!" as we spend ~2 hours every week overthinking all of our favorite classics and gear up to talk about what's new and exciting in animation too!

We've kicked things off with a run of Pixar-centric episodes in the leadup to the release of Pixar's Soul, starting with a two-parter where we reflect on what we feel are the most foundational Pixar films in the catalogue. We've got some more episodes in the can already as we bust out of our Pixar box, and are very excited to begin recording another mini-series about the phenomenal output of 2D Irish studio Cartoon Saloon very soon!

Ep 01: Pixar Feelings Pt. 1
Ep 02: Pixar Feelings Pt. 2
Ep 03: Nothing But The Incredibles
Ep 04: Incredibles 2
Ep 05: Soul

We just released our episode on Pixar's Soul this fine Inauguration Day Wednesday, and we'd love for you to check us out. It's certainly a podcast for animation nerds like ourselves, and we hope folks from all kinds of creative pursuits – or just those who love a good story – will find something to chew on with us.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I just put up the first episode on Goon History in GBS and Ill make a real post here soon, but right now man, trying to figure out how to set up itunes and rss is super overwhelming lol gently caress

edit- oh gently caress i need a website

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 25, 2021

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Adventure Incorporated

website | podbean | itunes | Patreon
Genre: Adventure / Fantasy / Comedy
Released: Every Monday

Description: A D&D live play podcast! We have a deep cosmology, fun characters, and a really long and exciting story. We've been going strong for almost 5 years now, with over 100,000 downloads, and live performances at conventions like DragonCon. We are IN OUR FINAL ARC, so check out the final 2 arcs and see where we're going!

The Battle for Mughamara Arc

Episode 244 - Beginning of the End
The Many Pennies begin their assault on The Adventure Inc compound to face down Gorm Tintreach before he wakes Hairix and burns the world. Also, Jennuvera has wings now.

Episode 245 - Press the Assault
The Many Pennies continue to battle the armies in the streets of Mughamara. Also, Keth and Jebeddo get on the same page.

Episode 246 - Crash
The Many Pennies make their way to the compound. Also, the gang does the math on allegiances.

Epusode 247 - The Wall of Mughamara
The Many Pennies try to enter the compound to stop Gorm. Also, Keth gets an unwanted gift.

Episode 248 - Breaking and Entering
The Many Pennies attempt to clear the compound. Also, Jennuvera reveals a secret.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

The Goon History Podcast

website working on this now its literaly blank atm sorry | | itunes | soundcloud | RSS
Genre: History/ Comedy/ Gettin Drunk
Released: Two weeks after the latest episode.

Description: Every episode a new Goon historian and I have a drink and talk about a historical subject, sometimes this will be mostly narrative, sometimes question and answer. Next episode will feature Fleta Mcgurn, and episode three will be Grand Fromage.

Episode 1: The Iliad (Ugly In The Morning) Special guest intro by Lance Reddick

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sword of Symphonies

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | Twitter | Website | Game Manual | Story Recaps

Together we Can Survive

We're starting season two! :toot:
After spending the summer and fall playing some other campaigns and games, it's time for Sword of Symphonies Season Two! While there's continuity from all the trillion episodes we've done before, the on-boarding process to Season 2 should be fairly easy. If you're looking for a tightly-edited, cozy adventure, join us every Saturday! We've also got audio summaries of Season One's arcs right here if you'd like to catch up on the story without committing to the whole thing.

Current Chapter:
Purity in Pearl

The Crew of the Westbreaker return! In the first arc of Season Two, Cobb, Tissa, and Penelope journey to Amylte's only remaining mountain, the Last Tooth, to pay respects to one of Cobb's old shipmates, and pick up something while they're there. It's also in the heart of Noble Demonhood on the continent. No big deal!

Purity in Pearl Season Two, Episode Two
Penelope encounters a stranger in the woods, and there's nothing wrong.

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Three)
No seriously, it's fine. Don't worry about it! We can read some books and it'll all work out and it's fine.

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Four)
No for real. It's fine. Let's play with the Ambassador in Pearl's hunting hounds. It's all good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RSS Feed
Updates every other week

Mature Listeners 22: Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol Part 1: America's Funniest Confirmed Kills

On the latest Mature Listeners, we discuss anime, Epic Deadwood, and clam diarrhea, as well as the first 11 issues of Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

What it's about : Generally Cherrie, a member of the Chinese diaspora, discusses topics with with me, an American. We try to bring up topics that people in the west may not have a complete understanding of, due to cultural or language differences. We also try to be funny sometimes but usually fail. These are usually history related.

Latest Episodes:

Episode 17: Fascism with Chinese Characteristics?
We discuss how the terms Facist, and 'Chinazi' have become particularly common in heated online arguments about China.
However, despite the flaws of the Chinese government, is it really correct to call it Fascist? What exactly is Fascism, and how has it been defined over the years, and by whom?
In this episode we discuss 4 different definitions of Fascism (Including the CCCP definition) to see if the modern Chinese state meets any of them.

Episode 16: Violence against Chinese Doctors
Ever since the introduction of 'Western' medicine to China in the late Imperial period, the role of Doctor in China has been a perilous one. Often blamed for circumstances outside their control, and viewed as agents of corruption, greed, and incompetence, they are an easy target for anger, violence, and murder.
While it is somewhat a world-wide problem, in this episode we discuss the uniquely Chinese ways violence affects the medical system, from its history in Mao's China, to the current day. These can range from Medical Disturbances ( 医闹 ) to Revenge Attacks against Society ( 报复社会 ), and while they have paused somewhat due to Covid-19, it is an open question what the future will bring for Chinese Medical Professionals.

Episode 15: Top Peasant Rebellions - Part 2
This week, we've brought you 4 more famous rebellions. 3 of which are from more distant memories: Daizexiang Rebellion, White Lotus Rebellion and Yellow Turban Rebellion. And 1 from modern Chinese history - Mao's grass-roots, mass-mobilizing revolution.
Join us to discover how the self-fulling prophecy of the mandate of the heaven plays a part in these rebellions and how the clique of "History has a tendency to repeat itself" does check out sometimes.

Release Schedule: Currently most Sundays

2021 Update
Still doing most of the same stuff, trying to mix in both current and historical events, as well as draw parallels between them. If there are any topics people are interested in, please let me know and we can try to fit them in. Normally we just make episodes about what we find interesting.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 15, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RSS Feed
Updates every other week

Goof Troupe 4: Austin Powers 1/2/3: The First Time Ever I Saw Goatse

On a new Goof Troupe, we go to the edge of sanity, discussing the merits of the city of Chicago, getting viruses from Stumbleupon, and Adam Curtis as part of a three hour retrospective of the Austin Powers series.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Brand new show!

Bizarre Podcast: Dogs Must Die Apple Podcasts RSS

Chip and Grant watch through the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime and talk about it, three episodes at a time. One has watched (and read the source material for) everything we're talking about before, and the other is finally taking the plunge.

Genre: Comedy, Media analysis

Release schedule: Weekly, on Mondays

Episode 1: Fancy Lads Being Extra
Chip and Grant begin their watch of JoJo with the first arc: Phantom Blood. What starts out as a fancy lad quarrel soon escalates into something far bigger. What's that? There's a guy named Robert E.O. Speedwagon and his hat is a knife?

Episode 2: Horsey Surprise
Dio yet lives! Johnathan begins training to take him out once and for all and witnesses a man get into some frog mischief. Also, look, there's no other way for me to phrase this. This episode contains a horsey surprise.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sword of Symphonies

Together we Can Survive

Current Chapter:
Purity in Pearl

As Penelope's demonic infection festers, Theo, Tissa, and Cobb rush to address it before things get worse. Will getting yet a third Noble Demon involved somehow simplify the picture?

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Five)
Theo's cautious nature is tested by the strength of Penelope's self-possessiveness. Can things get worse?

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Six)
Boy howdy yes. Time to bring out the sludge metal, because someone needs a serious talking too.

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Seven)
In the wake of Penelope’s little oopsie, the party regroups in order to figure out what to do next.

Purity in Pearl (Season Two, Episode Eight)
And now, if there are no more interruptions, the River's origin.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Fallin' Thru Plotholes

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Podbean

Genre: Video Games, Media analysis. Kind of comedy?

Duration: 2 hours per episode

Release: Every two weeks unless an episode is multi-part, then every week. Releases typically on a Tuesday.

Join Michael, Alex, Mason and others are they talk about the plotlines of legacy videogame franchises, how they evolved, and how they often go off the rails. They will also talk about how these games were developed, who was involved in writing these storylines, and why some gaming stories end up being completely bonkers.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Flash In The Pan

Latest Episodes:

Episode 53: Yoshi Smoking A Fat Blunt
Alex and Tom start the year off with a MARIO HOUSE PARTY, explore the 2009 MUSIC SCENE, and get their arses thoroughly kicked by STINKOMAN 20X6! Plus, your stories of lovely gift-giving! Welcome to 2X21, Flashketeers!

Episode 54: Big Ups To Girl Gamers
Tom and Alex rock out with their bots out in UNREST and THE WILL OF ONE! Elsewhere, a loud blue alien takes us back to the past in STRATEGY GUIDE. In this episode, it’s time to buy a new cow.

Episode 55: I Wouldn't Be The World's Best Duelist If I Smoked Marijuana
An ancient anime pharaoh teaches Alex and Tom to say no to pot in the 4kids YU-GI-OH! ANTI-DRUG PSA, we sing along to the CHOCOBO ROBO VOICE, and we explore the empty dorms of COLLEGE UNIVERSITY. Also, gritty reboots! Historical medicine! And listener emails!

Episode 56: Turbo-Heathen
Tom and Alex revisit bizarre punk adventure ERIK THE JUICEMAN, marvel at THE TOUCHTONE GENIUS, and uncover some secret origins with the NINTENDO CARTOON HOUR. Featuring GG Allin, a fabulous phonecall, and a nine foot tall aerobics instructor.

Episode 57: Our Old Pal Clippy (feat. MorganKitten)
The lovely MorganKitten returns to bring Tom and Alex three mystery toons! We’ve got sprite fights with KITTY VS SAYURI, we watch stickmen crank that with SUPER DAMIEN, and learn how Brazilian computers work with IO’S: A SAGA DE UM PROCESSADOR. Elsewhere, bootleg games consoles, celebrity cameos, and shocking revelations. This is the episode where we talk about Soulja Boy's contribution to stickman violence.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Adventure Incorporated

website | podbean | itunes | Patreon
Genre: Adventure / Fantasy / Comedy
Released: Every Monday

Description: A brand NEW campaign! New characters, changed world, brand new story! If you didnt listen to our stuff before, this is a great time to get started. We've been going strong for almost 5 years now, with over 100,000 downloads, and live performances at conventions like DragonCon. We go live April 19th!

Campaign 2 Teaser Trailer
An all-new campaign of Adventure Incorporated begins next week! This is a little preview of what's to come~
https://adventureinc.podbean.com/e/campaign-2-teaser/

Episode 1 - New Beginnings!
Adventure Incorporated is back with an all new campaign! This is the jumping on point you have been waiting for! The all new team begins their adventure!
https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-qdzji-1010b78

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 19, 2021

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

What it's about : We talk about topics with chinese characteristics, whatever they might be. We also try to be funny sometimes but usually fail. These are usually history related.

Latest Episodes:

Episode 18: The Los Angeles Chinese Massacre
1870s Los Angeles was a lawless town where violence ruled and life was cheap. Gunfights were an almost daily occurrence, and rival gangs dueled in the street.
Despite that, the country was still shocked by the dramatic mass lynching of Chinese immigrants which occurred there in 1871. Often described as the largest mass lynching in the US, it has in many ways faded from our public consciousness.
In this companion episode to the Pigtail Ordinance, we discuss the face of anti-asian racism outside of the law, mob violence, and the legacy of vigilante justice in the US today.

Episode 19: Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy
From the very beginning, the Chinese Communist party took entertainment seriously. By drawing crowds to see plays, dances, songs, and other shows, they were able to spread their political messages and create new followers to the cause.
Perhaps the culmination of this, Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy (智取威虎山) was one of the 8 Model Plays promoted by Mao's Wife Jiang Qing (江青), as an attempt to modernize Beijing Opera for a Revolutionary Audience. Telling the story of a PLA detachment fighting a Bandit warlord, it was played dozens of times a year in almost ever town and village across China during the cultural revolution.
In this episode we discuss its content, its legacy, and and the brutal irony that many of the people who made this ultimate propaganda piece, were they themselves victims of the Cultural Revolution.

Episode 20: Kidnapped in London - A Sun Yat-Sen Story
Sun Yat-Sen (孙中山) is regarded today by both the PRC (People's Republic of China) and the ROC (Republic of China) as the founder of the modern nation. He was the first to break the imperial system, and set a path for something new and revolutionary.
However, before he was the founder of the nation, he was simply a failed revolutionary, with a head full of ideas. Perhaps one of his most famous stories from these early days is when he was 'Kidnapped' by agents of the Qing empire while in London.
Join us as we discuss Dr Sun Yat-Sen, his early life, his kidnapping, and how he might not really have been cut out for the revolutionary life.

Episode 21: Everyone Loves Yuan Shikai
In 1912, Yuan Shikai seemed sure to go down in history as China's beloved George Washington. Beloved and respected by both reformers and conservatives, he owed his position as China's first true president by both unanimous election, and Imperial decree.
Within a few short years though, he would become China's greatest villain. Join us for a two part episode where we discuss the rise and fall of the man who transitioned China from an Empire to a Republic, and attempted to keep it together in the process.
In this episode, we discuss his rise. How a man who never passed a civil service examination could rise so high and so quickly within the rigid world of Imperial China. How his bravery, cunning, and administrative skill made him famous and respected, not just within China, but worldwide.

Release Schedule: Currently most Sundays

2021 Update
In the exciting world of with chinese characteristics, we've been experimenting with thumbnails. Still talkin about china and stuff.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Fallin' Thru Plotholes

What's this about : Fallin' Thru Plotholes is a podcast about video game plotlines, how convoluted they can be and how their development cycles can influence these stories. We'll talk about the people behind these stories, and try to make sense of something that is often very senseless.

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Podbean |Youtube

Genre: Video Games, Media analysis. Kind of comedy?

Duration: 2 hours per episode

Release: Every two weeks unless an episode is multi-part, then every week. Releases typically on a Tuesday.

Latest Episodes

Episode 5-1: Mass Effect is a story of pure potential falling flat on its face.: In Part 1, Alex and Michael jump in the backstory and first game in the Mass Effect trilogy as they discuss exploring new worlds, meeting new alien species, and wonder why no one asked why the big bad guy had glowing face lights.

Episode 4: Mega Man: Duke Nukem Thankfully Won't Be Forever: Alex and Michael discuss Duke Nukem as they dive into the origins of Apogee Software, talk about the plot of the Duke Nukem series, and for some reason have a tangent about Adventure Island.

Episode 3-3: Mega Man: Maybe we're all Mega Man Kings: In this Episode, Alex and Michael wrap up the Mega Man series as they talk about Mega Man ZX, Mega Man Legends and talk about what's next for the series in general.

Episode 3-2: Mega Man: No, we aren't sure how humanity is still alive: Alex and Michael finish the Mega Man X series before immediately diving into Mega Man Zero, where we learn that even 100 years in the future, humanity just can't help but make bad decisions.

Episode 3-1: Mega Man starts with googly-eyed robots and ends in multiple genocides: In part 1, Alex and Michael discuss the Mega Man series, starting with the entire classic series and moving into Mega Man X. It quickly goes from being light-hearted to a surprising amount of murder.

Episode 2: Contra takes B-movie aliens a little too seriously In this episode, Alex and Michael discuss the classic Konami series Contra. A series that starts with the lightest of plots and quickly descends into B-movie style madness.

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 2, 2021

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Flash In The Pan

RSS Feed | iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter | YouTube

Latest Episodes:

Episode 58: Spin Around The World At Internet Speed
Tom and Alex journey from Hell to South Korea via Lebanon and Sweden in this rollercoaster episode! We’ve got goofs with EDDSWORLD: HELLO HELLHOLE, forbidden love with THERE SHE IS STEP 3, and ancient wisdom from HATTEN ÄR DIN. Plus, your emails!

Episode 59: Double Caked Up (feat. jan Misali)
Mitch (aka jan Misali) joins Alex and Tom to revisit the epic saga of SUPER MARIO BROS Z, and then delve into the deep lore of EVERYBODY TO THE LIMIT. Elsewhere, presidential conspiracies and farting. On this episode, we all learn how to spell FHQWHGADS.

Episode 60: Tummy Full Of Chocolate Milk
Alex and Tom talk about heroic villainy with the DR. BEES trilogy, and go back to the start of animutation with HYAKUGOJYUUICHI!! Elsewhere, censorship, Peewee Herman, and your favourite fight scenes!

Episode 61: The Gunk
Folklore-inspired furry goodness in NO EVIL and dated videogame jokes with SMASH KINGDOM give Tom and Alex a lot to chat about this episode! Sexy sexy sexiness, clown love and (sigh) MEN… Plus, some wild commentary and your emails!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

What it's about : We talk about topics with chinese characteristics, whatever they might be. We also try to be funny sometimes but usually fail. These are usually history related.

We just finished season 2 (an arbitrary distinction) and are working on season 3!

Latest Episodes:

A few of my favorites from the last few months:

Episode 25: Cinema of the Wounded

After Mao's death and the end of the cultural revolution, the Communist party engaged in the policy of 拨乱反正 (eliminating chaos and returning to normal). A feature of this time period, was a relative lack of censorship, and an acceptance of self reflection. One form of new literature that emerged was 伤痕文学 (scar literature / literature of the wounded), which were works that attempted to make sense of the human tragedy China had experienced over the preceding decade.
Today we look at two Chinese produced films inspired by that movement, 1993's The Blue Kite, and 1994's To Live. Both films explore the tragedy and loss of a family during the Maoist period of China, and were both banned locally after being completed.
They're really good and you should watch them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Live_(1994_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Kite

Episode 23: Chinese Boycotts - Past and Present

While there are many delicate issues that can affect foreign businesses in China, one of increasing scope and frequency are public boycotts. Often coming quickly and without warning, a company can go from beloved to hated almost overnight, for something as simple as the wrong label on a website menu, or a statement concerning the ethical sourcing of cotton.
In this episode we discuss the origin of boycotts amongst the birth of Chinese nationalism, and their reemergence in the 21st century. While originally spontaneous grassroots affairs, these modern boycotts are supported by Chinese State Media, and are often used as an unofficial arm of state policy.
However, despite their high profile, these boycotts seem to have a mixed result in actually changing the way foreign companies do business in china, or in changing the habits of Chinese consumers.

Episode 22: Everyone Hates Yuan Shikai

In 1912, Yuan Shikai would become the interim President of the new Republic of China. However, despite the hope heaped on him, his 3 year term would be marked by assassination, authoritarian power consolidation, and his founding of a new imperial dynasty.
Despite some accomplishments, this disastrous term would poison the well of Chinese representative government, destroying any real chance of actual power sharing or rule of law for decades.
In this episode we discuss the how and the why. Was Yuan Shikai simply a power hungry autocrat who had bidden their time, or was he a deluded old man who would not compromise his vision of China's future.
Probably a little of both!

Release Schedule: Currently every other Sunday