Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Vando posted:

it's not just americans with the dipshit takes, everyone settle down

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1384219019390033927

hi, yes, i would like to out myself as the dumbest motherfucker. let me list all the bad teams I support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vando posted:

it's not just americans with the dipshit takes, everyone settle down

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1384219019390033927

Covering all the bases with regards to awful things to support, it's actually quite impressive.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I grew up in Lincs and live in London. I also eat pizza with a fork and rank the Godfather Part 3 among my favorite films. Sometimes I take up two parking spots with my 2013 Honda Civic to make sure nobody scratches the paint. I also enjoy the cold mountain taste of Coors Light. I'm looking forward to #SuperLeague

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmao

Edit: eh?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

kliras posted:

can the outcome of all this at least be better football videogames

Yeah can this somehow result in EA losing the rights to FIFA games? That'd just be swell.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CallKieth/status/1384225592116092931?s=20

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Slaapaav posted:

its time to kill all the rich people and end capitalism imho

If the ESL results in more people thinking this, maybe it’ll turn out to be a good thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Holy poo poo lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

will the ESL have VAR?

or will it be SUPER VAR???

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Rad Russian posted:

World Cup bans are a threat of a Mexican standoff that won't last. Why would a country refuse to have their best players there while dealing with a significant fan backlash? People will literally get politicians supporting this out of power and then get the person in that lets their country actually compete. Even if that policy somehow goes through, all of these countries will change it immediately after their first embarrassing WC performance, and then everyone will play just the same as before.

the point is to pressure players to not support it/not play in it, as most grow up dreaming of playing in the world cup and champions league, beyond just their domestic leagues.

ffs haaland sings the CL theme in his car, when you are already making good/fantastic money (depending on if you're talking just about superstars or really good players who you also need on the team) that isn't the motivation anymore, it's more personal for most people which is why not many players have hosed off to china/middle east.MLS before retirement age

Pook Good Mook posted:

On the other hand, there are probably going to be a large number of players who would be thrilled to be paid the same amount (or more!) to play fewer games. Does anyone really think that most players have loyalty to anything other than money? Some might leave very publicly but it's pretty telling we haven't had any player reactions in the press yet. They're all greedy pieces of poo poo and are the direct causes of why so many leagues are losing money.

never ceases to amaze me how many idiots will bitch about millionaires who have a limited career length instead of the billionaires who siphon money from others' talent and work, gently caress off

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

How would it show favouritism to every side?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

it'll be american idol/etc. style text in voting while commercials play, with texting fees applied

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Karl Sharks posted:

it'll be american idol/etc. style text in voting while commercials play, with texting fees applied

Some kind of 'Fan Boost' system like in Formula E.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

Yes, anavar

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sassassin posted:

How would it show favouritism to every side?

The referees are going to make an absolute killing with this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
brown envelope manufacturers throwing an absolute world ending rager right now

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

never ceases to amaze me how many idiots will bitch about millionaires who have a limited career length instead of the billionaires who siphon money from others' talent and work, gently caress off

I missed that take lol

Russian/saudi billionaires buy teams, fifa awards the world cup to qatar very legitimately, agents are getting tens of millions of euros for a transfer, can't believe the greedy players are ruining the game

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

uXs posted:

Some kind of 'Fan Boost' system like in Formula E.

Sprinklers!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'll watch it if they implement all of Wenger's zany rule change suggestions from the last few years.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'll watch it if they call it soccer and let the New York Red Bulls join.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Personally anything associated with Man United turns to poo poo so this is not a surprise.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Milner isn’t happy. Good lad

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This is all very entertaining but until an owner mutters, "That fooking yank John Henry," I'll remain disappointed.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can recommend listening to the first part of todays football weekly which is about the european super league

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
jonathan Wilson's take that the super league teams could actually join the football league and then rule over the premier league is actually quite good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if west ham qualify for the champions league immediately before football dies forever im going to be Miffed

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

30 seconds into this podcast and I am already triggered by this Brit pronouncing José with a hard J

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

30 seconds into this podcast and I am already triggered by this Brit pronouncing José with a hard J

He's Portuguese that's how it's pronounced.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bawfuls posted:

shameful post

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The ESL is a bad idea for reasons of fairness, but those people thinking its matches would be boring are crazy. They would absolutely be more entertaining than watching Slavia Prague or Zenit get thumped for the umpteenth time.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSUFDafZJ8

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

The ESL is a bad idea for reasons of fairness, but those people thinking its matches would be boring are crazy. They would absolutely be more entertaining than watching Slavia Prague or Zenit get thumped for the umpteenth time.

Maybe the first time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bawfuls posted:

you'll never recover from this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wiki suggests its much closer to a z than a hard English j but they both sounds super weird to my used-to-spanglish ear

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vegetable posted:

Maybe if you're limited to only considering group stage poo poo. But that ignores the qualification struggles, home league struggles, late stages against the new big shot in Europe, etc.

It would transform a CL quarterfinal matchup between Man City vs. Inter from a once in a decade thing to the equivalent of the Miami Dolphins vs. the Buffalo Bills in the middle of the NFL season when the Patriots have already qualified for the playoffs. Quality of play aside, who the gently caress cares.

sassassin posted:

Maybe the first time.

Basically this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wait do British people think this is the same as a hard J like the name Joe?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vegetable posted:

The solution is to spread the money more evenly so Slavia or Zenit vs. Unnamed Superleague Franchise isn't so lopsided, not the other way around.

Don't think for one second the money going to the top now is ever going to go down again, it won't. The moment to stop this is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I've been pronouncing it Jozy all this time.