Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

The ESL is a bad idea for reasons of fairness, but those people thinking its matches would be boring are crazy. They would absolutely be more entertaining than watching Slavia Prague or Zenit get thumped for the umpteenth time.

I admit that watching Arsenal get thumped for the umpteenth time instead will be more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pook Good Mook posted:

It would transform a CL quarterfinal matchup between Man City vs. Inter from a once in a decade thing to the equivalent of the Miami Dolphins vs. the Buffalo Bills in the middle of the NFL season when the Patriots have already qualified for the playoffs. Quality of play aside, who the gently caress cares.

The NFL intentionally schedules the worst games possible for Monday Night Football as punishment for ESPN and they still outdraw pretty much everything else, to the point where networks actively try not to compete with it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

HMS Beagle posted:

I'll watch it if they call it soccer and let the New York Red Bulls join.

It's a battle of the royal heavyweights as Real Madrid visit Real Salt Lake! We're live in Sandy, Utah, only on Fox Sports! Alexi, what's your take on tonight's game?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jamie Carragher getting way to excited about the power of fans and expecting "godlike" Klopp to put a stop to everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

peanut- posted:

I admit that watching Arsenal get thumped for the umpteenth time instead will be more entertaining.
This but unironically

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

oliwan posted:

I can recommend listening to the first part of todays football weekly which is about the european super league

Guardian Football Weekly is a great podcast, especially when Barry is cackling at an England loss

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

jonathan Wilson's take that the super league teams could actually join the football league and then rule over the premier league is actually quite good

loving bizarre timeline

So this is all poo poo and bollocks obviously but I'm having a hard time with all the sanctimony as if it's not actually a bunch of billionaire cunts betraying a different other bunch of billionaire cunts.

Sky and governing bodies allowed/enabled the Premier League, the Champions League, the Glazers, FSG, Abramovich, whole single ownership of clubs, the Mansours, debt and all the other poo poo that's brought football to this point. The talk as if football was great and fine and didn't have massive wealth gaps before this came along is loving tiresome.

Despite how public it all is now I'll still be amazed if by next season UEFA haven't made sufficient kissy noises and made the CL and even bigger and better cash cow and this all goes away again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

or will it be SUPER VAR???

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

quote:

“The Super League ownership and governance structure is designed to allow us to rapidly adopt and incorporate new ideas into the competition. Whether it’s changes in live match distribution formats, technology-enhanced rule implementation or player development, we can no longer rely on external bodies to drive progress in these areas.”

Super VAR

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you think about it, the super league would be a competition where arsenal and spurs would be continually humiliated, their delusional aspirations finally stamped into the ground for good as they are forever in last place, the laughing stock of the league

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

getting really tired of these racist takes that boil down to "asian and african fans are just inherently different from european fans"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

When you think about it, the super league would be a competition where arsenal and spurs would be continually humiliated, their delusional aspirations finally stamped into the ground for good as they are forever in last place, the laughing stock of the league

It is the one thing in the "pro" column thus far

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

The ESL is a bad idea for reasons of fairness, but those people thinking its matches would be boring are crazy. They would absolutely be more entertaining than watching Slavia Prague or Zenit get thumped for the umpteenth time.

Inter and United didn't make it out of their groups this year, and it's a million times more fun as a neutral to support Atalanta or Ajax making it far than watching the 9th Chelsea vs City match in a calendar year

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

oliwan posted:

jonathan Wilson's take that the super league teams could actually join the football league and then rule over the premier league is actually quite good
I laughed when he said he wanted the Premier League to be petty about it and start a 9:30am kick off slot on a Thursday, which those clubs have to play immediately after a Wednesday game in the ESL.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Vegetable posted:

The games would be boring because there's effectively nothing at stake, not because the teams are bad

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oliwan posted:

this is why they will have 5 whipping boy teams promoted "on merit" each year so none of the world's "legacy fans" will have to suffer the disgrace of a bottom finish

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

this is why they will have 5 whipping boy teams promoted "on merit" each year so none of the world's "legacy fans" will have to suffer the disgrace of a bottom finish

they'll dick spurs and arsenal over as well

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bundy posted:

It is the one thing in the "pro" column thus far

Do me a favor and stop posting this meme please, it’s gross.

E: not you specifically, everyone.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oliwan posted:

it might make the owners a tidy sum though

idk i get the impression that people are legitimately pissed enough about this to stop buying merch/subscriptions. it may still end up in the black for a good while but i can see european fans actually managing to boycott this nonsense in a meaningful way and at least costing a bank with infinite money some money

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

oliwan posted:

may i remind you that they invited arsenal, a team whose last adventure in top-level european competition ended up with the score not fitting on the tv graphic

Bundy posted:

So this is all poo poo and bollocks obviously but I'm having a hard time with all the sanctimony as if it's not actually a bunch of billionaire cunts betraying a different other bunch of billionaire cunts.

yeah, I mentioned this earlier on, but Sky's incredibly transparent editorial line where they definitely heard from an unnamed source that the super league owners are planning on digging up Bobby Moore's corpse and grinding his bones with chisels and hammers like biblical kings is pretty much the only thing I've seen so far that can go in the "pro" column

a bloo bloo bloo you can't do a breakaway league and take football away from the fans; how will they keep paying us £60 a month to watch the breakaway league we financed and put behind a paywall

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

greazeball posted:

implying those 5 won't still beat arsenal/spurs

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Surely this will mark the point where 'legacy' fans finally give up on the travesty that international club football has become and retreat back into domestic leagues leaving this capitalism driven wasteland of a competition behind.

That being said, millions will still tune in to the Super League and it will be hugely successful in a commercial sense

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Florentino is doing a presser right now and it's a doozy

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Pook Good Mook posted:

It would transform a CL quarterfinal matchup between Man City vs. Inter from a once in a decade thing to the equivalent of the Miami Dolphins vs. the Buffalo Bills in the middle of the NFL season when the Patriots have already qualified for the playoffs. Quality of play aside, who the gently caress cares.

the dolphins vs bills game still dominates from a ratings perspective against anything else on tv

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

what does the super league look like if it expands to the size of an american league? the nfl has 32 teams. the mlb has 30. who is in and who is out if the super league has 30ish clubs?

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

lol thats the first ex-player ive seen make postive sentiments towards this in any way, what a total oval office. Are there any others??? Jozy quite rightly re-tweeted this https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1384252327691898886 and Micah Richards made a similar point about uefa on the radio before the game :hfive:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cadfael posted:

lol thats the first ex-player ive seen make postive sentiments towards this in any way, what a total oval office. Are there any others??? Jozy quite rightly re-tweeted this https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1384252327691898886 and Micah Richards made a similar point about uefa on the radio before the game :hfive:

I assume Philip Lahm is for it because he wrote an entire article less than a week ago about how a super league was a wonderful idea and we should all welcome it as the future in football-related brand content.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i have a feeling that the super league will use periodic expansion team spots as a way to seduce decent/mid-level clubs into siding with the super league founders on the domestic league front, until the super league hits some arbitrary number of clubs and then bounces itself from domestic competition completely.

i think the current structure of football will be permanently hosed

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

like do you guys really think leicester or everton would say no to a spot in an expanded super league?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i'm a pretty casual european football fan, but i've followed everton for a few years now and at this point my greatest fear is that they'll be permanently left behind because they're just beyond the cutoff line of big money clubs.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

like do you guys really think leicester or everton would say no to a spot in an expanded super league?

are we assuming jp morgan will cough up as much as they did now in that future when it very well might not be going as well as they predicted?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sudo rm -rf posted:

Depends if the super league is a success or not at that point, and if JP Morgan is offering more bribes like the founders are getting.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

sudo rm -rf posted:

what does the super league look like if it expands to the size of an american league? the nfl has 32 teams. the mlb has 30. who is in and who is out if the super league has 30ish clubs?

The current lot plus a bunch of mls and chinese shithouses rounded out by Dubai and Qatar FC

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

I dont see how this would financially save leagues/clubs, is he having a laff? https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano this guy kindly did some transcipts of that interview

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Karl Sharks posted:

are we assuming jp morgan will cough up as much as they did now in that future when it very well might not be going as well as they predicted?

yeah i'm assuming the super league does very well

i think that's part of my cynicism

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah i'm assuming the super league does very well

i think that's part of my cynicism

i think idiots with too much money right now will not make good decisions for long term success

on another note, from someone's point itc, has anything been mentioned yet about how they're going to cater to both north american and asian audiences w/r/t match times?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

cadfael posted:

I dont see how this would financially save leagues/clubs, is he having a laff? https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano this guy kindly did some transcipts of that interview
he saw how "just loving lying about everything" worked for the brexit crew and decided that's a good strat these days

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013
Not that this year has been terribly exciting, but imagine the Premier League if this shite was already in place for this year. City have had the league sewn up for ages, leaving themselves, United, Pool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal with nothing to play for for the past couple of months (not that Arsenal's had anything to play for since then anyway). Leicester and West Ham have 2 of the CL spots cemented with the only thing left to figure out is which 2 of Everton, Leeds and Villa fill in the other 2 spots. People would have stopped caring completely long ago.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

cadfael posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384276887761940489?s=20

lmao football would DIE if jp morgan didn't give a few clubs a bunch of money

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384276887761940489?s=20

lmao football would DIE if jp morgan didn't give a few clubs a bunch of money

was just about to post this same one, this poo poo is ludicrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011