Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is MK11 getting any more DLC? Seems weird that there would be a new movie coming out but zero tie-in.

There are rumors of a kombat pack featuring Cole. Who knows though, maybe they just couldn't make it work with the developer. The movie is going to do numbers and it's coming out at a perfect time, I don't think they're too worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

pretty soft girl posted:

Did any MCU movies cast actual experienced martial artists for their lead roles?

No, but they did have Scott Adkins, one of the best action stars in the biz, play a no-name guy who gets beat up by a cape in Doctor Strange. Sort of the antithesis of what you're asking!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'd love to. See Kombat Pack 4 having some cool chars from MUGEN. Polar bear sub zero, Hydro, Khrome, 6 versions of reptile.

Somebody actually sat down and made the original characters from the old Malibu comics into playable characters in MUGEN, like Bo the bodyguard or Seng, the twin monks who could fusion dance. It'd be a deep cut, but I'd respect the hell out of NRS for throwing one of those idiots in there.

Also, it opens the door to Goro returning someday with his giant gently caress-off Proton Cannon as a fatality.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, but they did have Scott Adkins, one of the best action stars in the biz, play a no-name guy who gets beat up by a cape in Doctor Strange. Sort of the antithesis of what you're asking!

Scott Adkins is the modern day Van Damme, he loving rules (Ninja is amazing(ly stupid)) and this makes me want to just completely avoid MCU even more than I already was

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xenomrph posted:

Um actually they are rated PG-13 and after much quiet reflection and contemplation I have realized that they are fun and cool
https://screenrant.com/mortal-kombat-2021-r-rating-fatalities-blood-violence/

ImpAtom posted:

The dark secret of comic book movies is that literally all of them are made for children. Yes, including the R rated ones where Deadpool shoots someone and Batman says gently caress. In fact especially those.

Ryaomon posted:

MK and MCU are very similar because in both you want to see the cool buff monster man shoot a fireball and it ends up being a lot of military propaganda

Gavok posted:

When the Marvel movie sequel gave the God of Thunder a haircut it was way better than when the Mortal Kombat movie sequel gave the God of Thunder a haircut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivnLWjHLbGU

Wanderer posted:

Somebody actually sat down and made the original characters from the old Malibu comics into playable characters in MUGEN, like Bo the bodyguard or Seng, the twin monks who could fusion dance. It'd be a deep cut, but I'd respect the hell out of NRS for throwing one of those idiots in there.

Also, it opens the door to Goro returning someday with his giant gently caress-off Proton Cannon as a fatality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOt6sQDMLM

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I meant the MCU movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

pretty soft girl posted:

Dumb question and I'm not being sarcastic or trolling with this I swear

Did any MCU movies cast actual experienced martial artists for their lead roles? Something I'm really excited for in MK is that it seems like a good amount of the cast were hired for their martial arts experience before their acting cred/marketability, which it doesn't feel like has happened for decades in a major Western movie release at this point. It also sounds like they're doing as much with practical effects as they can which has me intrigued

I kind of got the sense that the MCU movies were largely casted with non-martial artists who get crash coursed through the necessary martial arts training, which can be good, but doesn't pique my interest nearly as much as highlighting martial artists that have been training their entire lives

I'm mainly trying to figure out why I have not been able to care about comic book movies in the slightest but the MK movie has me all hyped up when there's probably no real difference between the two and maybe this will shatter my misconception of them if they're really that similar

For the most part no, the leads tend to be bankable stars. I’m sure they have good stunt teams and pretty good choreographers but it’s not like John Wick or anything. They did cast Simu Liu, who has a martial arts background, as Shang Chi. Though to be honest with the way that the Marvel movies rely on CG for their fight scenes I wouldn’t expect anything on the level of what MK looks to have or the aforementioned Wick movies.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

DC Murderverse posted:

For the most part no, the leads tend to be bankable stars. I’m sure they have good stunt teams and pretty good choreographers but it’s not like John Wick or anything. They did cast Simu Liu, who has a martial arts background, as Shang Chi. Though to be honest with the way that the Marvel movies rely on CG for their fight scenes I wouldn’t expect anything on the level of what MK looks to have or the aforementioned Wick movies.

Yeah John Wick was sort of where my mind went to in terms of not necessarily needing a dedicated martial artist/stunt guy to make things look good. My assumption of MCU movies was they're primarily composed of video game cutscenes I'm usually frantically mashing A to skip, but I've never actually seen one so it felt pretty unfair until the aforementioned Scott Adkins atrocity

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh my god this conversation sucks please talk about mortal kombat

did you know the movie's already out in some markets so there's spoilers out there? be careful if that's a thing you care about I guess!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blockhouse posted:

oh my god this conversation sucks please talk about mortal kombat

did you know the movie's already out in some markets so there's spoilers out there? be careful if that's a thing you care about I guess!

I just read all the spoilers and they’re so loving stupid.

I can’t wait.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah John Wick was sort of where my mind went to in terms of not necessarily needing a dedicated martial artist/stunt guy to make things look good.

I get what you're saying, but that's not really fair to the Sam Worthingtons of the world. Keanu Reeves is literally as close as you can get to a martial arts/stunt guy while still being an actor. Dude has 22 years of training.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I get what you're saying, but that's not really fair to the Sam Worthingtons of the world. Keanu Reeves is literally as close as you can get to a martial arts/stunt guy while still being an actor. Dude has 22 years of training.

One of the stunt coordinators for John Wick was like “I don’t know what you expect me to teach this guy, he’s already a master martial artist and marksman”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also John Wick is directed by stunt guys too. It’s one of the only major studio American productions that takes fight choreography seriously.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Marvel's process, for better or worse, is to pre-vis all the fight scenes before the movie is even shot. They then have a separate team working on all that stuff (which is very CGI heavy, but they also have a second unit director shoot live plates with the actors) while the "main" director does the other stuff.

A director actually walked away from a movie because she couldn't get DisneyMarvel to let her direct her own action scenes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Why do scorpion and sub zeros masks look like poo poo in this movie. They're loving huge and look like football facemasks. Theres like 20 years worth of good designs to steal but no

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always figured I was a good authority on Mortal Kombat history, but I was watching a video on MK lost media and cancelled projects and I came across something eye-opening. In 2000, there was a short-lived web series called Mortal Kombat: Federation of Martial Arts where the idea was that you gamble fake money on absolutely atrocious live-action fights between MK characters (some played by people from the movies and Conquest). Each round is under a minute long.

Just look at this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tWE7G1WLEY

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you look the lost media video

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can you look the lost media video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FEYDSqGNs

As an addendum to the MK Legacy Season 3 part, the reason people say it would have been an MKX tie-in was a leaked casting sheet that ended up being the first descriptions of MKX characters like Kung Jin, Erron Black (originally called Salazar) and D'Vorah.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Picked this back up on Steam with that big sale, is Kold War Skarlet really not included with the ultimate edition? :(

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Picked this back up on Steam with that big sale, is Kold War Skarlet really not included with the ultimate edition? :(

For some reason they've been really precious with that and the Kangaceiro Kano skin. The only way to get either is when they randomly show up in the gem shop.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Have a technical question for you all.
I purchased the MK11 Ultimate Edition Kombo pack with Injustice 2 today, for PS5. Injustice seemed to install just fine with all the goodies...but MK11 seems to be a broken mess of kontent that won't install???

So I've installed both the PS4 and PS5 versions, and I have been able to get Rainn and Rambo to install in the PS4 version, no DLC characters on the PS5, but a kouple kostumes showed up, and when I click on Aftermath it tries to sell me it again for 50 bucks, but also it tells me I own it??? Any thoughts?
The little bit I've played is fantastic, I'm sure I can enjoy it without the extras, but you know, I did pay for them. PS5 tech support was very unhelpful, they told me to kall hardware support tomorrow, so maybe its something to do with the system...

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
IDK about PS5 specifically but I remember unlocking/redeeming content being strange on PS4 and having a similar issue where the in game options were just trying to charge money again. There was something I had to do from the library or settings screen, but IDK what the ps5 interface looks like

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021910834-How-do-I-access-my-DLC-or-Add-on-content-

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just learned that Nathan Jones is in this movie, and he plays Reiko. I'm more amused by this than I probably should be.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DC Murderverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 20, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You posted that here because....martial arts?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well the thread did just spend an odd amount of time posting about mcu not to long ago I suppose

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sorry I'll add the quote for context

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AndyElusive posted:

You posted that here because....martial arts?

Everyone knows that Shang-Chi is what happens when the Deadly Alliance do a Fusion.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gavok posted:

Everyone knows that Shang-Chi is what happens when the Deadly Alliance do a Fusion.

Holy poo poo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i found the e3 trailer for mk deadly alliance from way back in 2001. what does any of this have to do with mortal kombat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsYW1DWogs

kewl fact: this is from the brief period where they were going to call it just mortal kombat and were treating it as a reboot

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
That reeks of oh poo poo we need to announce something to please investors but we have no actual game to show off

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Smoking Crow posted:

i found the e3 trailer for mk deadly alliance from way back in 2001. what does any of this have to do with mortal kombat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRsYW1DWogs

kewl fact: this is from the brief period where they were going to call it just mortal kombat and were treating it as a reboot

Imagine that it’s E3 2001. The last pieces of MK media to come out are Special Forces, MK Gold and Mortal Kombat Conquest. The end of the year will see one more total loving disaster with a dragon logo on it in MK Advance, which may very well have been “playable” (insomuch as it could be playable) on the show floor. That Korn-rear end trailer shows up teasing more MK, which I have to imagine sounds more like a threat than a promise. It is the absolute worst year to be an MK fan. Worse than Annihilation, worse than Armageddon/the death of Midway.

Do you think anyone believed that Midway was capable of making a game good enough to make MK relevant again? MK has avoided death so many times but I feel like if Deadly Alliance had bombed that just would have been it. Looking back, it seems like such a miracle that it was good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly the bigger miracle was 9 being as good as it was and kicking off three great games in a row. It was the first time there was an actual quality game streak in the series since... when did UMKT come out? 1995?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I enjoyed Deadly Alliance and Deception. I remember Deception's single player being a lot of fun; I'd much rather have something like that than the current Krypt, which is endless grinding to maybe have a small chance of possibly getting something you want. Barely played Armageddon as it wasn't released on Xbox in the UK, and my PS2 had been stolen. I ended up with a pirate copy but bought a 360 shortly after, and the Xbox got relegated to an XBMC box. I think there was a Wii release but I'm sure that was horrible, as Wii ports usually were.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deception’s single player was really cool and the Krypt in MK11 definitely gave me similar vibes. It was kind of grindy but then again Deception still had like five different kinds of coins and a lovely krypt. Not as bad as Deadly Alliance’s Krypt which was absolute bs, but still annoying to have to do one specific thing to grind red coins to unlock something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had the sudden picture of Fu Manchu taking his wife and young son home from a nice night out to the Peking opera only for the couple to be murdered in an alley by an occupying European trooper leaving only an orphan boy to grow up and seek revenge on said murderer and all of his kind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Honestly the bigger miracle was 9 being as good as it was and kicking off three great games in a row. It was the first time there was an actual quality game streak in the series since... when did UMKT come out? 1995?

Most of that can be attributed to being bought out by WB - the Midway era, particularly towards the end, was made under intense pressure and strict schedules because they were basically carrying Midway after all their other big projects flopped, got cancelled, stuck in dev hell, etc and when they switched to WB they were given reasonable time and budget to properly see their games through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most of that can be attributed to being bought out by WB - the Midway era, particularly towards the end, was made under intense pressure and strict schedules because they were basically carrying Midway after all their other big projects flopped, got cancelled, stuck in dev hell, etc and when they switched to WB they were given reasonable time and budget to properly see their games through.

That makes sense, but seems weird now given WB's management of... most everything for the last couple years in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That makes sense, but seems weird now given WB's management of... most everything for the last couple years in particular.

The fact that they've delivered five extremely successful games in ten years probably insulates them from a lot of bullshit.