Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Scotlander posted:

Not that this year has been terribly exciting, but imagine the Premier League if this shite was already in place for this year. City have had the league sewn up for ages, leaving themselves, United, Pool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal with nothing to play for for the past couple of months (not that Arsenal's had anything to play for since then anyway). Leicester and West Ham have 2 of the CL spots cemented with the only thing left to figure out is which 2 of Everton, Leeds and Villa fill in the other 2 spots. People would have stopped caring completely long ago.

that sounds interesting as an american who isn't really tied to one team

i know i'm weird in general, but i'd personally take a PL, or any league, that has less talent than it might be able to if it means there's a possibility that most of the clubs in the league could win the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Karl Sharks posted:

i think idiots with too much money right now will not make good decisions for long term success

on another note, from someone's point itc, has anything been mentioned yet about how they're going to cater to both north american and asian audiences w/r/t match times?

4 AM CET

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Karl Sharks posted:

i think idiots with too much money right now will not make good decisions for long term success

on another note, from someone's point itc, has anything been mentioned yet about how they're going to cater to both north american and asian audiences w/r/t match times?

11 pm local start times, lol

honestly that's part of the reason i can't see this staying a "mid-week" thing. if the goal is to break into american tv sets, you're not going to do that by airing your best matches at 3 pm on a wednesday afternoon.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

cadfael posted:

I dont see how this would financially save leagues/clubs, is he having a laff? https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano this guy kindly did some transcipts of that interview

He means his own club.

And by saving the almighty Real Madrid franchise, by the magic of *trickle down economics* (=poaching the best players from the pleb clubs), the entire world of football will be saved. Maybe. But who cares?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

that sounds interesting as an american who isn't really tied to one team

i know i'm weird in general, but i'd personally take a PL, or any league, that has less talent than it might be able to if it means there's a possibility that most of the clubs in the league could win the title
This already exists and it's called the Championship

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Thank you mr Perez for saving football.

Also I 100% think expansion slots will be opened up the next time Barca or Milan gets into financial trouble again.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384271559548801026?s=20

we are NOT closed, there is a tiny crack you may enter through if we allow it, but only for a bit then you're back out

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Vando posted:

This already exists and it's called the Championship

yeah and how the gently caress am i supposed to watch that?

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Im not sure what's making my blood boil more, that fat wanker talking about the economic savior to all clubs at the heart of this or that ginger oval office implying 'no, i in fact DO want to watch this!'

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

I suspect you'll find a similar issue with any post-SL Premier League

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sudo rm -rf posted:

what does the super league look like if it expands to the size of an american league? the nfl has 32 teams. the mlb has 30. who is in and who is out if the super league has 30ish clubs?

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/tenyears/

that's the current ten-year uefa coefficient ranking, pick from that list depending on your intent

you've already got six english clubs, so you'd likely want to top up spain and italy (sevilla, valencia, roma, lazio, napoli) and then ajax, porto and benfica, then it's a choice of going into ukrainian money clubs or selectively picking who you want for geographic/political reasons (rangers, celtic, copenhagen, sparta prague, etc)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Vando posted:

I suspect you'll find a similar issue with any post-SL Premier League

okay? but the person asked if anyone would want to watch the PL without them, i said i would in fact like to

how does my access to it affect what i would prefer??

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

iFollow.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

it seems like big football clubs run into financial trouble more often than american sport franchises

like what's going on with barca?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

sudo rm -rf posted:

11 pm local start times, lol

honestly that's part of the reason i can't see this staying a "mid-week" thing. if the goal is to break into american tv sets, you're not going to do that by airing your best matches at 3 pm on a wednesday afternoon.

They aren't planning on mid week, they're expecting to get thrown out of their domestic leagues and then they can negotiate for weekend media contacts.

If this happens. I'm still convinced this is posturing for a new CL format/profit sharing deal.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

everyone is the belgian league now

hurrah

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Karl Sharks posted:

It's on ESPN+

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384271559548801026?s=20

we are NOT closed, there is a tiny crack you may enter through if we allow it, but only for a bit then you're back out

so uh...how would one qualify to play with the Best in the World® and who would make way for another 5 the year later. would it keep growing?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

FullLeatherJacket posted:

that's the current ten-year uefa coefficient ranking, pick from that list depending on your intent

you've already got six english clubs, so you'd likely want to top up spain and italy (sevilla, valencia, roma, lazio, napoli) and then ajax, porto and benfica, then it's a choice of going into ukrainian money clubs or selectively picking who you want for geographic/political reasons (rangers, celtic, copenhagen, sparta prague, etc)

It's never going to be coefficients, it's going to be whoever opens the most valuable markets or otherwise brings financial reward to the rest somehow.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Doctor Teeth posted:

so uh...how would one qualify to play with the Best in the World® and who would make way for another 5 the year later. would it keep growing?

It honestly just feels like a place holder until they can convince a few german and french teams to permanently join. Maybe Porto and Ajax

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
https://twitter.com/rehnato/status/1384281723370840064

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

FullLeatherJacket posted:

this is just purely an on-field ranking, correct?

my guess is that they're going to go for name/recognition/revenue over performance.

would be interesting to see the same list but sorted by revenue/worth.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

okay? but the person asked if anyone would want to watch the PL without them, i said i would in fact like to

they didn't mean you personally they meant in general, and the supporting argument is the option for watching such a contest already exists and is not popular, so what you think might be neat doesn't matter

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Slotducks posted:

US Arsenal fans are *not* ready to become the pittsburgh pirates of the Supraliga

I feel like Arsenal plastics who've made it this far can cope with more failure. That includes all the UK millennials I follow on twitter and US football hipsters.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

also if we're talking purely financial loads of championship clubs are basically bankrupting themselves for a slice of that premier league money and I fully expect that to happen to every club not part of the 12 as they aim for the super league crumbs

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you want a "balanced" competition you need to introduce a much more equal share of revenues down the league, which you can't do because the big names will use it as an excuse to break away and form a...

Hey, wait, maybe we can do that now?

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

They aren't planning on mid week, they're expecting to get thrown out of their domestic leagues and then they can negotiate for weekend media contacts.

If this happens. I'm still convinced this is posturing for a new CL format/profit sharing deal.

idk about 'posturing', some of the resignations and v fingers thrown to uefa seem to me to be unprecedented steps to saying 'yeah this is now happening/going to change. Deal with it'. Maybe deals will be done regarding this and the new uefa CL format but atm bar some massive back-track from those involved in this break away im at a loss to see how this ends amicably or even reshaped. Seems like its heading for the courts so who knows

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

I was more operating under the assumption that the "big 6" don't get kicked out of the league as a result of this. You'd have 3rd, 4th, 8th and 10th currently occupying the CL spots. The vast majority of the overseas fans watching these games do it for one of the big 6 clubs, and with 5 of them having nothing to play for for 4 months, I imagine would stop tuning in.

A league with the 6 of them gone would be brilliant and I'd watch a tonne of it I imagine, not sure the rest of the world agrees with me on that stance.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vando posted:

If you want a "balanced" competition you need to introduce a much more equal share of revenues down the league, which you can't do because the big names will use it as an excuse to break away and form a...

Hey, wait, maybe we can do that now?

Agreed. Never waste a good crisis. Everyone not part of the 12 should seize this opportunity to get rid of their biggest opponents in one swoop.

It's a golden chance, I hope they take it.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

my guess is that domestic leagues limp along for a bit as the super league expands and poaches from the best of the rest

but champions league is a dead man walking already

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When in doubt about how this thing will progress, just look to American franchise sports leagues for guidance.

Expansion will happen by new additions paying a one-time franchise fee (in the hundreds of millions) to the league.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Scotlander posted:

A league with the 6 of them gone would be brilliant and I'd watch a tonne of it I imagine, not sure the rest of the world agrees with me on that stance.

Hell I'd watch it religiously out of spite

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

bawfuls posted:

When in doubt about how this thing will progress, just look to American franchise sports leagues for guidance.

Expansion will happen by new additions paying a one-time franchise fee (in the hundreds of millions) to the league.

as well as salary caps, drafts, and playoffs

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
looking at this: https://old.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/mubvcb/florentino_perez_interview_in_el_chiringuito_de/

2 things stick out:

quote:

"We might have to make the football match shorter if it's not interesting"
Not sure how you can solve this. Running clock is an absolute joke in 2021 and there should be clock stoppages but even if you reduce the clock to 60 minutes with stoppages, not sure if that would make the matches shorter.

quote:

"There will be a salary cap at 55%."
Huuuuuge

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Championship is good but would be better with half the PL dropping down and shite like Wycombe, Rotherham and Derby kicked out. Steve Parish on Sky earlier floated the "well let's the 14 of us start our own breakaway if the 6 don't willingly gently caress off" idea. Add the top 8 in the Championship under a new brand name for a top division (as the EFL is a bit too incompetent to run things) and that's next season sorted.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Another interesting factor would be teams in Spain and Italy that are not included.

Of course, it is a massive disrespect that 6 PL clubs, among then absolute garbage clubs, declare themselves the best in Europe over actual good teams in Germany and France. However, these leagues are still functional despite some ESL and they can send their teams if they so choose and flatten teams like Arsenal or Tottenham.

But for Italian or Spanish teams, international and eventually domestic Football is pretty much over. One would expect some ruffled feathers

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

it seems like big football clubs run into financial trouble more often than american sport franchises

like what's going on with barca?

people from cspam got real mad when dudes said player salaries, but totally player salaries

I mean, it's super dumb to say that the players are greedy for taking the market rates that are available, but one of the biggest issues with an open league with primarily cash trades for player registrations is that as long as the clubs are bringing in about the same level of revenue, player salaries will slowly increase to swallow up 95% of earnings, particularly away from the big-name clubs with huge sponsorship/merch revenues. If you don't spend 95% of your revenue on player costs, then some other Championship team will overtake you. Plus, the higher up the pyramid you go, the more money you make, and so you either spiral up or spiral down. On top of that, you can buy a garbage team fairly cheaply, run it as a vanity project for however many years, and then dump it off into bankruptcy when you're bored. So while they've somewhat brought in rules against this, you're still often running a club against an investor from overseas who's running the club at a loss as a marketing vehicle (Leicester may have been a miracle, but they're not that much of a miracle) or for sportswashing purposes (looking at you, PSG). And that's why it's now £25 a game to see clubs in the fourth tier.

Barca and Real have their own set of stupid idiot problems where they have Presidents voted on by the members, and they're basically Rangers and Celtic if anyone in Scotland was good at football, so if you didn't win literally everything last season it's time to promise that you'll sign whoever the most currently hyped and eye-wateringly overpriced player in the world is, regardless of if they fit into the system that you're currently playing. No, it's fine, we'll just borrow more money. Nothing could go wrong, as long as revenues increase exponentially, forever.

Florentino Perez is now showing you his plan for revenues increasing exponentially, forever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

as well as salary caps, drafts, and playoffs
yup, all of these are inevitable if this gets off the ground

do the players have a union? If not they'd better form one asap

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

wait I don't understand, so if you're a founding member you can't be knocked out? so if you finish in the bottom five some qualifying team above you has to qualify again?

or is each season the 15 founders and then 5 teams qualify so it doesnt matter how they did the previous season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

mistermojo posted:

each season the 15 founders and then 5 teams qualify so it doesnt matter how they did the previous season

This is my understanding of it