Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

XCOM has always been a game that's hardest at the start, then you start getting comfortable, then late game tends to throw in some curveball elite enemies and real big missions to spice it back up. One mission shouldn't start a giant failure decline unless you were managing something really wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I remember Pat hosed up one of the first missions, and instead of being tutorialized on how to rescue a hostage, he learned how to get a hostage murdered along with most of your rescue team. That meant he didn't get an engineer, so he couldn't excavate the ship or build any structures, and I remember being surprised at just how much that cripples your early game. As far as I can recall they played the rest of it with essentially no gear, no grenades/medkits, no extra rooms, and minimal ability to recruit new dudes.

I don't think any of that would've really helped all that much, but it was a way bigger mechanical roadblock than I expected.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I just like playing the kinds of strategy and tactics games that reward you for executing a good ambush, flank, or other type of maneuver without loving you over with goofball RNG. I even liked Gears Tactics and Mutant Year Zero because when those games said 75% I felt less lovely than I did in in XCOM when I set up a perfect overwatch and flank with 99% chances all around and missed every shot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am going to love the gently caress out of Woolie and Reggie's LP of Disco Elysium cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUIjNo_dOI

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I am going to love the gently caress out of Woolie and Reggie's LP of Disco Elysium cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUIjNo_dOI

ep1's title tells me it's gonna be completely fuckin unwatchable

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Naaaaaaah. It's the best game to snail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdyNlOdbsXw

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Indecisive posted:

I mean you kinda have to spend some time reading the character skills and such.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SBFC 15: How Hath God Blighted Pat

Episode is pretty fun overall. PS4 console launch happens this episode alongside the Persona 5 reveal lead-up. I may have said it in the last breakdown, but hearing the guys talk about console launches has me somewhat nostalgic for them even though I wouldn't go to one now. Just kinda feels like the ability to even do something like that has been taken and honestly will never come back. It's just harkening back to a time when I could do dumb poo poo because I was in loving college. Pat and Liam go into detail about the bullshit around getting their consoles and the idea Canadian Gamestop just let you skip the line for their 15 dollar card is loving bonkers. Someone would get their rear end beat here for that sort of thing. The end of the podcast gives us the title in a lettertime segment. I kinda remembered "How hath god blighted pat" starting as a more wild thing, but I'm mixing moments hear.

Pat status: Currently unblighted

Last bit of the podcast is an interview with some of the Botchamania kickstarter crew. I wasn't particularly interested in listening to this because its' years old, but I really do miss some of the diversity and willingness to try stuff in the podcast. It was nice compared to the constant ranting.

Posting this next bit solely as a notes thing to remind myself since I am halfway though EP 16 but main talking points are gonna be:

EDIT: I actually had way less of the next episode than I thought so enjoy a double post.

SBFC 16: You Can't Push Baby Murder for Summerslam

This episode starts with XB1 launches and some of the debacle around that. The gang goes into detail about some of the microtransactions around XB1 launch titles and how pervasive they were. Forza in particular with upwards of fifty dollar cars is a particular focal point. Mat and Woolie are incredibly excited for Killer Instinct in a way that I remember being the same. That game and Dead Rising sold me an XB1 back in the day when I had more time/money than sense. Similar console launch stories about how you could luck your way into getting a console on release without a pre-order which just feels loving absurd, especially now that a lot of companies have created a bunch of non-sense fomo that attracts scalpers more than it already did.

Naturally, all the Xbox news has me really in my feelings with how Sony has been acting as of late. Seeing Mattrick Era Xbox flounder has me seeing similar red flags with Jim Ryan era Sony, especially with the news that the PS3/Vita rollback was occurring this week. Microsoft making the pivot and actually making sure most of their history is accessible is a wild contrast to Sony just putting a bullet in theirs to chase blockbusters.

Persona 5 reveal stream is also this episode and I kinda forgot how loving bonkers that reveal was. I knew they'd announced P4AU and PQ, but I forgot completely about Dancing All Night. Much like my own feelings, it's really funny to see this with how P5 kinda hosed over the old channel because of Atlus' rules on streaming/let's plays, but also because Persona 5 loving sucks.

Lettertime has the "How Hath God Blighted Pat" return and I really enjoy that man losing his loving mind over door to door salespeople. It's so loving lit. Anyways, I'll be back with more later in the week. Enjoy big post.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 20, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Woolie and Reggie doing Disco and three eps in, this is looking like it's gonna be a fun one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Has Woolie done the fascisms or ascribed to any bizarre race theories yet

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Hasn't left the Whirling in Rags yet lol, but it's been fun, Woolie and Reggie are just really getting into it, obviously enjoying themselves. It has good energy.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Lol as of episode 3 they haven't even left the Whirling-in-Rags. It's gonna be a while before he reaches that poo poo.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know if it's come up in the YTs yet, but in the stream he somehow converted Garte using incel rhetoric, which I didn't know was even an option.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

No lie, it's going to take forever, but Disco is the kind of game that encourages talking and thinking about poo poo and tangents so whatever, I think it'll work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah it sounds like a good time, probably gonna let it build up a few more episodes and I'll start watchin through.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kazzah posted:

I don't know if it's come up in the YTs yet, but in the stream he somehow converted Garte using incel rhetoric, which I didn't know was even an option.
He failed a non-important skill check in empathy and discovered ze black pill. Woolie. Reggie. Stop destroying your character.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Destroying your character is a completely valid choice in Disco Elysium.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Their Disco stream is one of the ones where watching it live really adds to the enjoyment when you can see their faces (esp. Reggie's) reacting to various things like "I want to have gently caress with you", the Garte Incel subquest, or as of today's stream, all the racisms

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish they included the facecams in the youtube uploads. they don't always add something, but when they do, it's good poo poo

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sixteen VODs deep and Paige's Dark Souls 2 playthrough is now just Plague saying "this game/area sucks" and telling her everything that she's about to come across. Essentially puppeteering her is kinda ruining an otherwise fun LP.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 24, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Plague sucks rear end kind of in general.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

A lot of areas in ds2 do suck but nobody wants to hear it from plague, the man who complains about almost everything, so I get how it could be frustrating

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Anyone who has the audacity to stream or do an LP of a souls game is a double mega Hitler.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Plague is a Gohan Should Be The Hero poster so he's garbage

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Plague spent an entire episode of his Dark Souls LP talking about bricks and honestly that should tell you everything about him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Icing on the cake would be if Plague is also someone who'd get pissy about being spoiled on things preemptively.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
All media must be consumed in a perpetual state of revelatory awe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

All media must be consumed in a perpetual state of revelatory awe.

Well from how the description of the streams are going it sounds like if reading a movie script had a video game equivalent. Just telling people every enemy that they're about to encounter in advance. Which doesn't sound like the most fun way to try a new thing but if they were cool with it to begin with well I learned my lesson about talking about things I don't see for myself first.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 24, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Plague is correct that the game sucks, but he should LP it that way himself on his own time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SotFS rules.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

SotFS rules.

OG DS2 rules too

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I’ve only watched a couple of Plague’s Serious Analyses videos, but I think a decent cross section was his analysis of what makes a good villain work that used Moby Dick, The Shining and Wakfu as examples but spent two thirds of the runtime analyzing the horny French cartoon.

Plague is just kind of frustrating because he can be genuinely funny when he reels his tedious idiosyncrasies back a little bit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I’ve only watched a couple of Plague’s Serious Analyses videos, but I think a decent cross section was his analysis of what makes a good villain work that used Moby Dick, The Shining and Wakfu as examples but spent two thirds of the runtime analyzing the horny French cartoon.

Plague is just kind of frustrating because he can be genuinely funny when he reels his tedious idiosyncrasies back a little bit.

I think that's an understandable choice, everyone knows Moby Dick and The Shining already. Who else would analyse Wakfu? I'd never even heard of it before that video.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rody One Half posted:

Plague is a Gohan Should Be The Hero poster so he's garbage

Assuming Toriyama actually knew how to write characters that would have worked out well. :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gohan is at his absolute best going home and being a family man, he doesn't want to Punch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's best for a character and what's best for a narrative can be separate things.

Or at least I recall Plague's dragonball videos seeming fairly reasonable/well argued? It's been awhile.

Yardbomb posted:

SotFS rules.
It's not bad. When I took a trip through the franchise a few years back I had a friends telling me to skip it and go to 3, while also admitting "it's still good, it's just less good in terms of DS1/DS3."

I think it would have been much worse to go to DS2 after playing DS3.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Noodle Arm Gohan Who Doesn't Fight Only Fucks is the best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gohan was a barely existing baby who did 1 Thing each arc then was pushed to kill cell. He was always kind of boring its why modern Gohan feels like way way more of a natural evolution than Cell Killing Teen Gohan.

The only time the character has any personality is when he's with videl in the early buu saga. He's a secondary Krillin usually but without all the history and character moments.

The cell saga is even weired about him because outside of the final fight its the Saga where he does the absolute least. The Vegeta and Freeza arcs fights at least have him be and active part ot it all. In the cell saga he....is there when bulma and trunks find cells time machine and then gets kidnapped by goku.

Modern goku of sensible family man is probably the one character I'd believe actually settled down. Krillin dropping out of training was always bullshit because he was just as much roshis successor as goku and those turtle hermit perverts never stop for all 500 years they get to live.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gohan was cool and him and videl in the buu saga was maybe my favorite part of dbz, and infinitely-strong goku is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The idea of Gohan being the hero makes a lot more sense in the US IMO, where he's pretty much the first thing you see in the series. Raditz revolves around him being kidnapped, the Saiyan arc features him coming into his own, Namek basically has him as the protagonist, and every arc has characters remark on his freakish strength and potential. Meanwhile, Goku is pretty much the fight ending deus ex machina. He gets all the big battles, but spends most of his time shelved or dead. Gohan taking over from him seems like a natural ending point. You know, if you didn't see thd entire charming adventure series of Goku being our unambiguous main protagonist.