Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
As usual, don't be stupid when suspending something. A guy died when working on a riding lawn mower: According to the Hillsborough Township Police Department, Levinski was “working underneath (the) commercial lawn mower which was hoisted in the air by a cable attached to a Kubota tractor.” The cable broke and fell on Levinski, who died at the scene, police said in a statement. An investigation into the incident is ongoing. A suck way to die that didn't have to happen.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/04/nj-man-dies-after-lawnmower-falls-on-top-of-him-police-say.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I hope they investigate and find out he was also fighting dogs and beating his wife and kids. What the gently caress are they investigating

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I don't know what they might investigate. Maybe the cable strength, or was it swinging along a sharp edge and abraded until it snapped? Maybe someone that didn't want to pay for repairs cut the cable? Who knows.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

As usual, don't be stupid when suspending something. A guy died when working on a riding lawn mower: According to the Hillsborough Township Police Department, Levinski was “working underneath (the) commercial lawn mower which was hoisted in the air by a cable attached to a Kubota tractor.” The cable broke and fell on Levinski, who died at the scene, police said in a statement. An investigation into the incident is ongoing. A suck way to die that didn't have to happen.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/04/nj-man-dies-after-lawnmower-falls-on-top-of-him-police-say.html

Dude was 74. Darwin took his time finding this guy.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Mental JSA should always evaluate any energy sources, kinetic or potential. Watched my boss at my last job fling a pipe wrench off the top of a 100ft bucket elevator after he broke a tooth on the reverse brakes by putting his full weight on the end of a pipe he was using as a breaker bar for the pipe wrench. When the tooth snapped the half of the buckets holding beans decided they had no reason to stay up high anymore and dumped probably a thousand pounds of beans out the bottom, the shaft that the wrench was on started spinning like mad and threw the wrench off onto the top of the building nearby. It was a good thing the guy messing around at the bottom of the elevator had taken his hands out a few moments earlier.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sports PPE working well:

Russian traffic can be a bit chaotic sometimes, it seems:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrssvdUUDC1r0uzl6.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ekuNNN posted:

Sports PPE working well:

Is the batter out in this scenario?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Depends, I think that's a foul ball?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don’t baseball but if you catch a foul, they’re out, right? And it looks pretty, umm, caught?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Nope. A legal catch has to be with the hand or glove. Getting lodged in the catcher's equipment doesn't count.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Depends, I think that's a foul ball?

That's a foul tip, which is different from a foul ball, and always counts as a strike, so he could be out

e: I'm wrong, baseball is more rules lawyery than I thought:

quote:

The fielder must catch the ball with his hand or glove. If the fielder uses his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession, it is not a catch. Therefore, a foul ball which directly becomes lodged in the equipment of the catcher (other than his or her glove) is not considered a catch and hence not a foul tip.

So I guess that would count as an uncaught foul ball and could not lead directly to being out

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 19, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bad Munki posted:

I don’t baseball but if you catch a foul, they’re out, right? And it looks pretty, umm, caught?

Just a foul. It'd be comparable to a ball wedging itself in the fence. Didn't catch it with his hands.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sjs00 posted:

What the gently caress are they investigating

"Welp this was obviously an accident. Better not waste any time making sure nothing suspicious happened."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

That's a foul tip, which is different from a foul ball, and always counts as a strike, so he could be out

A foul tip has to go into the catcher's hand or glove
e: https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/foul-tip

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, okay. Never really cared about cricket or whatever, thanks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Also you don't foul out unless it's caught. Strike count stops at 2 no matter how many fouls you hit after, as long as no one catches them.

This guy hit a shitload of foul balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6FTg1XwLfg

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Clearly that rule in MLB came out of someone showboating and catching a ball in their hat. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ekuNNN posted:

Russian traffic can be a bit chaotic sometimes, it seems:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrssvdUUDC1r0uzl6.mp4

This one is a real rollercoaster.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Mental JSA should always evaluate any energy sources, kinetic or potential. Watched my boss at my last job fling a pipe wrench off the top of a 100ft bucket elevator after he broke a tooth on the reverse brakes by putting his full weight on the end of a pipe he was using as a breaker bar for the pipe wrench. When the tooth snapped the half of the buckets holding beans decided they had no reason to stay up high anymore and dumped probably a thousand pounds of beans out the bottom, the shaft that the wrench was on started spinning like mad and threw the wrench off onto the top of the building nearby. It was a good thing the guy messing around at the bottom of the elevator had taken his hands out a few moments earlier.

And children, that is why you take the key out of the lathe chuck.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

Clearly that rule in MLB came out of someone showboating and catching a ball in their hat. :v:

It actually did, at least according to my Dad (he was a big fan as a kid and talked a lot of lore with my grandfather who was also a big fan). An outfielder threw his hat at a ball over his head he couldn't reach and actually hit it. The ball then dropped down to where he could catch it.

There was no rule against it at the time, but the umpire ruled interference and no catch regardless. There was a big furor and the new rule defining a catch as being only with the glove or hand entered the books.

I have no idea what year or teams were involved, though.

Edit: Additionally, throwing your hat, glove, or anything else at a ball in play is an automatic three bases for all runners (including the batter).

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 19, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

I'm glad you reposted that; I would have missed it otherwise.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DelphiAegis posted:

I feel like I've seen someone (possibly in a cartoon?) use their hat to get slightly more reach to catch a ball that was going into the stands.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

I feel like I've seen someone (possibly in a cartoon?) use their hat to get slightly more reach to catch a ball that was going into the stands.

I'm just gonna say it was in Angels in the Outfield.

I don't even remember the last time I watched that and don't plan on doing any further research.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I wondered why half the police force sped past my house last night, with lights and sirens, then stopped at the corner. Dude DUI-ed right into the front door of the gas station. Jumped two curbs and smacked the window out of the door, bending the frame. Good thing the window shattered, there was a man exiting the station at the same time. He got smacked by the door opening bar and got a bruise instead of taking the whole door to the face.

GG, Florida. Wide fuckin' open down the shittiest road in America.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

e: i really enjoyed this article on elon musk

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/04/surely-we-can-do-better-than-elon-musk

i think the bolded line is the core of the problem with musk, somehow he's become the guy who represents The Future in our paradigm of heartless industrialism and vacant consumer technology, and you'd think that if the 21st century spit out a tycoon who gets massive uncritical praise from a hungry public relations/press collab then maybe he'd have something interesting to say. but no, we get this weird bloaty manchild who is an obvious dipshit, validated only by his ability to fail upward. he's donald trump for people who would otherwise hate donald trump

lmao I had missed this one

quote:

Much of it seems to center around colonizing Mars, where Musk has vowed to send millions of people. Like Jeff Bezos, he appears to believe in a future of privatized corporate space colonies. He has said that on Mars, SpaceX will be subject to its own laws and free of international jurisdiction (legal experts call this “gibberish”). He has even suggested a kind of indentured servitude program whereby people take on debt by going to Mars and then work it off.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also you don't foul out unless it's caught. Strike count stops at 2 no matter how many fouls you hit after, as long as no one catches them.

A bunt that goes foul is a strike no matter what.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cat Hatter posted:

Someone does it in A League of Their Own, but I don't think it was to get reach, it was when they were all showboating to drum up publicity.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/q8JIeEp.gifv

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

A bunt that goes foul is a strike no matter what.

Yeah, but bunts are for advancing runners anyhow, batters aren't expected to make it to base on a bunt. Sometimes they do, but that's usually because the infielders are staring at the sun or whatever.

This all just reminded me MLB The Show 21 is on gamepass today. Xbox finally has a baseball game again that isn't bobbleheads fake name teams.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tired of following the exploits of Bobson Dugnutt?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sleve McDichael will remember this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My primary school had a house rule that catching a ball in your hat was of equal value to catching it onehanded before it hit the ground - which is to say, better than a twohanded catch.

Don't ask me to try and map Norwegian playground ball games to US equivalent, but it was vaguely in the baseball family.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

McGavin posted:

Tired of following the exploits of Bobson Dugnutt?

Cojawfee posted:

Sleve McDichael will remember this.

past iterations of this game on PS4 have had these names available for your career mode player

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As long as it's not cricket. No one has successfully explained that sport to me.

I have a cricket bat, found in the University of Memphis student parking lot. Friend of mine has one he found in the MTSU student parking lot. I don't know what's going on that cricket bats are turning up abandoned in Tennessee university parking lots either. I'm kind of hoping a third person found one in Knoxville or Chattanooga. Maybe there's a low level conspiracy to expose americans to cricket going on, but just giving us bats isn't going to inspire us to learn anything about the game.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Computer viking posted:

My primary school had a house rule that catching a ball in your hat was of equal value to catching it onehanded before it hit the ground - which is to say, better than a twohanded catch.

Don't ask me to try and map Norwegian playground ball games to US equivalent, but it was vaguely in the baseball family.

is the player like double put and has to sit out the rest of recess or something?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Azathoth posted:

is the player like double put and has to sit out the rest of recess or something?

IIRC - and it's been literally thirty years - there were two ways to get to an infield/outfield swap: either the normal way of running out of possible batters, or by the outfield getting enough fancy no-bounce catching points.
I think the outfield needed to hit a running player by throwing the ball at them to stop them, but a fancy catch ... probably also counted? As I said, it's been a while.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 20, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

As long as it's not cricket. No one has successfully explained that sport to me.

I have a cricket bat, found in the University of Memphis student parking lot. Friend of mine has one he found in the MTSU student parking lot. I don't know what's going on that cricket bats are turning up abandoned in Tennessee university parking lots either. I'm kind of hoping a third person found one in Knoxville or Chattanooga. Maybe there's a low level conspiracy to expose americans to cricket going on, but just giving us bats isn't going to inspire us to learn anything about the game.

Cricket exists for two reasons: so that middle aged fat men can refer to themselves as athletes, and so that you can have something on in the background while you put yourself into a food and beer coma on Boxing Day

Which I understand is basically the same reason Baseball is the "national pastime" in the USA

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no that's old cricket, new cricket exists to give india a sport with the spectacle of pro wrestling, the cheerleaders of college basketball, and a version of the NFL draft cranked to 11 where all the players are on 1-year contracts and the movie stars who own the teams have a straight up auction for all the players every year

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

Cricket exists for two reasons: so that middle aged fat men can refer to themselves as athletes, and so that you can have something on in the background while you put yourself into a food and beer coma on Boxing Day

Which I understand is basically the same reason Baseball is the "national pastime" in the USA

Ah, like ski jumping.

E: Well, the second half. Fat middle aged men do not, in general, take up ski jumping.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Memento posted:

I thought that was Golf. Or is Golf the international sleep aid rather than national one?