Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alien Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are next week's free EGS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This weeks are Deponia: The Complete Journey, Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, and The First Tree

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wasn't the protagonist of deponia bafflingly and unintentionally repulsive?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Oh, it gets even better worse: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/amp/wot-i-think-goodbye-deponia

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, right. free is too expensive for that one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aw, but I liked The Whispered World and Edna & Harvey. :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

THE BAR posted:

Aw, but I liked The Whispered World and Edna & Harvey. :(

So you want to check Silence, not Deponia.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Waffleman_ posted:

Alien Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are next week's free EGS games.

Those are two very good games. On the other hand, I think I got Alien for less than a dollar on Steam already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How's the Pillars of the Earth game? I liked the miniseries and a bunch of people I know liked the book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fat Samurai posted:

Those are two very good games. On the other hand, I think I got Alien for less than a dollar on Steam already.

alien isolation was also a freebie last year so you may already have it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Intentionally repulsive, with the kind of psychopathy and casual cruelty of an adventure game protagonist who steals everything that isn't nailed down and manipulates people to achieve results. The first game felt like it was intended as satire, what with the love interest being named 'Goal' and spending most of the game a babbling moron thanks to a broken brain-implant, that the protagonist projects affection onto. If it had been a stand-alone title, it would end with the protagonist giving up on a life in paradise in favour of doing the right thing in the end, for which he ends up right back where he started, but grown from the experience and ready to be a slightly less horrible person.

Instead, two sequels happened in which said growth is all but abandoned. At the end of the third, the protagonist appears to die, grumpily sacrificing himself for others, but then there's a fourth game with time travel to undo that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Skwirl posted:

How's the Pillars of the Earth game? I liked the miniseries and a bunch of people I know liked the book.

It's good. It's a bit more story heavy "choices matter" adventure (this time there's actually a few meaningful picks), although there's a some traditional puzzles as well.

I'm not familiar with the original material, so I can't comment how it compares, but you can tell that the characters and the setting aren't created by your average video game writer.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 15, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What kind of game is Pillars of the Earth? I can't get a read on it. Is it just a visual novel?

Elfface posted:

Intentionally repulsive, with the kind of psychopathy and casual cruelty of an adventure game protagonist who steals everything that isn't nailed down and manipulates people to achieve results. The first game felt like it was intended as satire, what with the love interest being named 'Goal' and spending most of the game a babbling moron thanks to a broken brain-implant, that the protagonist projects affection onto. If it had been a stand-alone title, it would end with the protagonist giving up on a life in paradise in favour of doing the right thing in the end, for which he ends up right back where he started, but grown from the experience and ready to be a slightly less horrible person.

Instead, two sequels happened in which said growth is all but abandoned. At the end of the third, the protagonist appears to die, grumpily sacrificing himself for others, but then there's a fourth game with time travel to undo that.

I really enjoy unlikeable/flawed/horrible protagonists but is it a good adventure game? I have a lot of other amazing/classic adventure games I need to play but a lovely main character is a big draw. Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis is near the top of my list because he's such a little fucker to everybody and I love it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what I've read, the puzzles range from average to poor.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
That is quite the read.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

treat posted:

What kind of game is Pillars of the Earth? I can't get a read on it. Is it just a visual novel?

The UI is like classic LucasArts adventure games, but the puzzles are pretty simple and realistic so it leans a towards Walking Dead type of games. There's also some scenes that are just text boxes with choices.

There's few important decisions that have pretty big consequences, but it's mostly a linear story.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

treat posted:

I really enjoy unlikeable/flawed/horrible protagonists but is it a good adventure game? I have a lot of other amazing/classic adventure games I need to play but a lovely main character is a big draw. Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis is near the top of my list because he's such a little fucker to everybody and I love it.
Typical adventure game. For me that means I can figure out nearly all the puzzles, I can figure out some item combinations logically and most of them by trial and error but I have to look up some stuff some times on the internet, but don't need a walkthrough on a second screen.

Can't remember much of the games because I was stoned and drunk all the time when I played them and it's been so long I don't even recall if I played all of them. What I played was fun enough.
Yes, there are some terrible jokes in there, but I liked Rufus (the character, not as a person). He is delightfully dumb, arrogant and selfish.
Why am I even talking, the game is free, yes, try it. You'll figure it out within minutes if it is for you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfface posted:

Mystery of the Druids did a good job of the satirical adventure game protagonist that is disliked for his behavior in-world schtick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always thought Deponia was a B^u production but apparently it isn't :shrug:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I always thought Deponia was a B^u production but apparently it isn't :shrug:

There's a strong parity in terms of art style and deplorable lead character, that's for sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I loving love the art style of Deponia, but then I read poo poo like this

quote:

For example. Of the very few black characters in the game, one of them is being forced to be an organ grinder's monkey. Yes, a monkey. A puzzle (of sorts) at that stage in the game is to first get rid of the organ grinder, and then to find a replacement monkey, so that Monkey - as it persists in calling him - can become the new grinder. The person you're required to have become his new dancing monkey, by destroying her life until she has nothing left? The other black character.

and I just nope the gently caress out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Holy poo poo, I played through like half of it but didn't get to that scene yet. The entire game made me uncomfortable but I couldn't put my finger on why. Also the riddles made absolutely no sense a lot of the time, so even as a puzzle game it was bad.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Deponia is the first game I haven't redeemed on purpose

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I only played the first Deponia, fell of it hard after a few hours. The writing was bad and trying way too hard to be edgy, don't remember any of the puzzles (which isn't good for an adventure game, IMO).

They've apparently made four of these games and sold over 2 million of them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's almost hilarious how terrible that scene is. I expected it being at least somewhat overblown, but it really is that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zJsWSOXBA&t=952s
15:50-17:55

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 16, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

It's almost hilarious how terrible that scene is. I expected it being at least somewhat overblown, but it really is that bad.

I'm not clicking on that but I'm the vest.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

bowmore posted:

Deponia is the first game I haven't redeemed on purpose

Why'd I have to learn about all this stuff _after_ redeeming the damned games?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Exit Limbo: Opening is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256786992/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1590737689

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just don’t play the game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Plotac 75 posted:

Why'd I have to learn about all this stuff _after_ redeeming the damned games?

I don’t know if Epic even has public profiles so I don’t think anyone will ever see your game library and judge you for it.

You’ll see it of course, but odds are you also see dozens of other games you will never get around to playing.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Kennel posted:

At first I was like, I bet people are reading way to much into this.

Then I was like holy gently caress this is loving disgusting.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Isn’t Horizon: Zero dawn free from today?

Ed: looks like it’s 8PM pacific

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 19, 2021

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

Isn’t Horizon: Zero dawn free from today?

Ed: looks like it’s 8PM pacific

Who, what, where?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Who, what, where?

Apparently it's only for PS console owners. https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

If you've had any kind of Playstation console in the past, your account can still redeem any Playstation Store game regardless of if you have ever used that account on an appropriate console. I have never used or owned a PS4, PS Vita, or PS5 and I'm still able to redeem those games when they give them away for free by signing into the webstore with my PS3 account.

As far as new free games, the next Indiegala Freebie is BalanCity which unfortunately is another repeat:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256671866/movie480.webm?t=1475424088

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

H:ZD can be claimed on the Playstation store now

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/horizon-zero-dawn/

And there's the link, because finding things on the store is a pain, and it doesn't seem to be in the play at home section (yet?) I assume it'll change the region for you automatically, if you're not in the US.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/83ccec1a-8c8e-4ef7-bb02-ba0fdf042e6c/1

Link to all the days of play stuff.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1560330/Utopos/

Utopos, an early access game which is not normally free, is free for today.

"Utopos is back! The original Utopos launched almost 30 years ago in 1993, but the magic is still there. Utopos is a multiplayer spaceship arena fighting game. Utopos is easy to pick up and provides countless hours of fun action with your friends!

Situated at the Asteroid Belt, Utopos is a colonized world inhabited by humans who left the earth in the search of a better life. Rocketship fights have become a popular sport and it's up to you to fight your way to the top. Choose your ship and weapons and fight against other players to see how is the ultimate rocketship fighting champion!

While Utopos is a multiplayer game, it also provides AI-controlled bots that fight just like humans, so you can train on your own too.

Try Utopos with a friend - this is quite possibly the most fun you've had in ages!"

Says it's a remake of an old game I've never heard of. Looks like Auts and other freeware classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Another repeat unfortunately, but Ascension to the Throne is the newest Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2031657/movie480.webm?t=1447361137