Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Woebin posted:

Yeah, Superior Spider-Man generally didn't let on that he was a different person, although obviously some people figured it out. I don't remember if this book is the original "Ock in Pete's body" version or the newer version where he's got the body of Some Guy without much of a past.
It's the former. This was published (or cover dated) November 2013. Otto becomes Superior Spider-Man in ASM #700, released December 2012. He stays in Peter's body until September 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Larryb posted:

I forget, how exactly did Ock get into Peter's body in the first place?

Ock was dying and invented some handwavium to swap brain patterns with Spider-Man, which lead to Dying Wish. Peter dies in Otto's body but manages to transfer a 'ghost' of himself back into his own, leading to Ock's attack of conscience and "I'm going to be a better hero than you ever were" campaign.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #16 (1942)

B-Sides #2 (2002)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Larryb posted:

I forget, how exactly did Ock get into Peter's body in the first place?

From looking it up, Otto went in on a long-con. He built a helmet that let him control swarms of drones with his mind, and when Spidey beat him, he took the helmet and used it to make the swarms self-destruct and stop their schemes etc. and he'd use the tech a few more times, unaware that each time Otto was actually scanning his brain until he had enough details to make the eventual takeover fast and unexpected.

Peter wasn't able to reverse it before Otto's dying (former) body gave out, but he was able to add his own memories to Otto's, hence him getting a supportive upbringing, great-power-great-responsibility etc.

There's also a scene (I can't find right now) where Peter with Otto's memories remembers the time Otto tried to marry Aunt May, so also recalls making out (and possibly more) with her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh they totally banged and Peter had to watch the memory of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My two favorite Superior moments are when Doc Ock realized that Peter had been pulling his punches all these years after he punches Scorpions jaw off.

And thread favorite, when Goblin realizes that Peter's back in control of his body.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

How Wonderful! posted:

I was curious about this because my wife is reading the Claremont run for the first time right now and it's been fun to hear about all the benchmarks and cool parts from a fresh pair of eyes. So, this episode aired in October 1978. The first time Magneto shows up in Claremont's run is Uncanny X-Men #104, which came out in April 77. Then he kind of just cameos a little bit for awhile and comes back for a big showy story in #111-113 which have cover dates of June-September 1978. I guess your mileage may vary but in #104 he still comes off as kind of a doofus, and I would say that the first really cool Magneto story is the second arc mentioned, and even then he's still pretty hammy-- as mentioned, tying people up and making them get treated like babies by a robot. On the other hand he looks completely sick drawn by John Byrne at the peak of his talents, which I'm sure helped a lot in elevating his profile. So there are little hints of Claremont turning him into something interesting by the end of 1978, but I think that if somebody from that year were to think that Magneto kind of sucks and is goofy they would not be totally unjustified.

Actually, #104 is a little silly but Magneto does just show up and more or less beat everybody up effortlessly. He's not a very complex character in it but he is pretty cool. So I guess I take it all back.

Even if he’s not the complex character he becomes later on in the Claremont run, he’s definitely not the doof he is in the early Lee years and in that cartoon. And yeah, I know they had to dumb everything down for a Saturday morning audience, but man that’s just bad...

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I've been on an X-men kick since I read the Hickman books, so I went back and looked at some of the 60s stories. Those first few issues where Magneto appears they really thought magnetism could do anything. He's pretty much as psychic as Xavier, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Daktar posted:

I've been on an X-men kick since I read the Hickman books, so I went back and looked at some of the 60s stories. Those first few issues where Magneto appears they really thought magnetism could do anything. He's pretty much as psychic as Xavier, too.

I'm reading 90's X-Men and there was an issue where Magneto Joseph stopped someone's blood flow and turn off their pain neurons via magnetism.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Daktar posted:

Stan Lee understood magnetism as much as he understood transistors. Those two things were pretty much magic back in the early Silver Age, they were the same catch-all back then as “nanites” are now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GPTribefan posted:

Stan Lee understood magnetism as much as he understood transistors. Those two things were pretty much magic back in the early Silver Age, they were the same catch-all back then as “nanites” are now.

Don't even have to go into science fiction for this kind of thing. I'm in the office world and there's so much snake oil around buzzwords like AI and machine learning. I used to write formulas in Excel, now I "code algorithms."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In 1966 Magneto used his superpowers to enhance his animal magnetism and use it to hypnotize people to do his will.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

I'm reading 90's X-Men and there was an issue where Magneto Joseph stopped someone's blood flow and turn off their pain neurons via magnetism.

In 90s x-force he stops two mutants from using their powers by restricting the blood flow to that part of their brains using the iron in their bloodstream.

There was a neat callback to this idea in Exiles, when an alt universe magneto tries that on King Hyperion who just says "there is no iron in my blood" and blasts magnetos head off.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure when you see hyperion bleed a few comics later its green, which is a nice attention to detail.

One More Fat Nerd fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 19, 2021

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

FMguru posted:

In 1966 Magneto used his superpowers to enhance his animal magnetism and use it to hypnotize people to do his will.

That issue had a ridiculous amount of amazing Magneto expressions

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's funny how power levels change over time. If he's talking about the O5, youngest was Iceman, who is now considered an Omega level mutant.

Though even with how he was written back then I'd put him above Angel or Beast (unless Angel has that bazooka from the cover of X-Men #1)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daktar posted:

That issue had a ridiculous amount of amazing Magneto expressions

Phenomenal

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GPTribefan posted:

Iron Man's transistor stuff is actually based on science, though. Misunderstood science, but science.

Transistors are often explained to people as switches these days, but they're not that simple. Transistors don't turn on and off instantly. And some transistors, particularly the earliest ones developed, had a relatively long period of transition between on and off.

I'll spare you the physics, but what you need to know is that there is a certain level of voltage where the transistor turns on. But in that transition space between on and off, a small change in the control voltage has a large change in the output. That's the principle that made transistor radios work: the small signal change from the radio was amplified by the transistor.

And that's what someone, probably Larry Lieber rather than Stan Lee, got wrong. They read something about transistors being amplifiers and ran with it, giving us Iron Man's transistor powered armor. Real transistors eventually open the tap to full and you can't get anything more out of them, of course. But when you know what state of the art in 1963 was, you can understand how a comic writer might misremember something they read in Popular Science.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best part of old Iron Man comics was seeing him charge the suit by just plugging it into the wall.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's funny how power levels change over time. If he's talking about the O5, youngest was Iceman, who is now considered an Omega level mutant.

Though even with how he was written back then I'd put him above Angel or Beast (unless Angel has that bazooka from the cover of X-Men #1)

Yeah Cyclops is referred to as the strongest several times in the early issues. And that was with his eye beams needing to recharge between blast rather than being always on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part of old Iron Man comics was seeing him charge the suit by just plugging it into the wall.

And crawling to the outlet seconds from death. Early Iron Man was like one "charge your phone, dude" joke.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Daktar posted:

Yeah Cyclops is referred to as the strongest several times in the early issues. And that was with his eye beams needing to recharge between blast rather than being always on.

How long did that take? It makes him sound like a crappy video game boss.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I wish my dream was true, but I know in my heart this did not get resolved by "Trick Magneto into thinking he is a Seagull because he flies without the sound of engines too"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elissimpark posted:

How long did that take? It makes him sound like a crappy video game boss.

The flipside of that is it does sound pretty overpowered if he has an unlimited supply. Like just sitting there slouched in a lawn chair, head leaning on his hand, with his visor open full blast casually laying waste to everybody.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Magneto’s secondary mutation is that he develops hammerhead shark DNA.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lobok posted:

The flipside of that is it does sound pretty overpowered if he has an unlimited supply. Like just sitting there slouched in a lawn chair, head leaning on his hand, with his visor open full blast casually laying waste to everybody.

Considering that he doesn't have any secondary super powers durability wise, it's not that overpowered with all the crazy bullshit in the X-Men universe. It's the kind of thing Cable would have as a gun instead of a power, and a person with a regular gun is still something that could in theory drop him. That does a lot to balance out infinite punch lasers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I really hope this is from the first issue of X-Men. Otherwise he would have already fought a guy with wings.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I choose to believe that Angel makes airplane noises when he flies.

Edit: And when he's Archangel he just makes angrier, darker airplane noises.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

bunnyofdoom posted:

I bet most of the superhero community was like "Ah gently caress Pete's doing a bit again. Remember when he talked like a loving pirate for a month solid? Or his edgy campus libertarian phase?"

Okay, forget Superior, I want to know more about the time Pete talked like a pirate for a month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

propeller plane when he's Angel and jet plane when he's Archangel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

I really hope this is from the first issue of X-Men. Otherwise he would have already fought a guy with wings.
It's #4.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

How Wonderful! posted:

And machine gun noises when firing his feathers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hey, he can't be blamed for completely forgetting angel exists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He previously fought a guy with loving bird wings. That's like Dr Doom being "there's no way to escape this trap unless someone in the room is stretchy"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The best thing is that Angel is like "weird, a completely full freighter travelling at full speed across the ocean. guess it's remote control" and fucks off, then mentions it to Professor X who is like "I didn't know the navy had remote control." The X-Men only become involved when Professor X is reading the morning paper several days later about a single freighter shelling an island nation and he's like "only Magneto would dare."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

The best thing is that Angel is like "weird, a completely full freighter travelling at full speed across the ocean. guess it's remote control" and fucks off, then mentions it to Professor X who is like "I didn't know the navy had remote control." The X-Men only become involved when Professor X is reading the morning paper several days later about a single freighter shelling an island nation and he's like "only Magneto would dare."

"A US ship attacked an island nation. Only Magneto would dare!"

Err...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

evilmiera posted:

"A US ship attacked an island nation. Only Magneto would dare!"

Err...

If there was only one ship, yeah, I buy it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Also him wearing the ginormous chest plate under his clothes and it not being noticeable. Even when he slimmed it down in the red and gold armor there was no way everyone he saw wouldn’t have noticed.

That and the Angel hiding HUGE wings under his shirt in the back are the biggest “it’s the silver age, I just have to suspend a certain level of disbelief” things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GPTribefan posted:

Also him wearing the ginormous chest plate under his clothes and it not being noticeable. Even when he slimmed it down in the red and gold armor there was no way everyone he saw wouldn’t have noticed.

That and the Angel hiding HUGE wings under his shirt in the back are the biggest “it’s the silver age, I just have to suspend a certain level of disbelief” things.

Don't forget Captain America keeping his shield strapped to his back under his clothes.

At least Superman could crush his civilian clothes tiny with superstrength to store in his cape pocket, and then stretch them out when he wanted to change back. Clark Kent must have looked wrinkled all the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Selachian posted:

Don't forget Captain America keeping his shield strapped to his back under his clothes.

At least Superman could crush his civilian clothes tiny with superstrength to store in his cape pocket, and then stretch them out when he wanted to change back. Clark Kent must have looked wrinkled all the time though.

(Heat vision + cold breath) = steam + super strength = portable iron. Clark always looked freshly pressed.