Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

B-Rock452 posted:

This is such a fantastic description of what kids are. When my oldest was around 14 months
oh god my younger daughter was like that, we called her ‘daddy’s little heart attack’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Another Bill posted:

Definitely not Modern Family, despite having a gay couple as two of the leads. That show is seriously hosed by 2021 standards.

whoa is there a modern family anime because I will watch that garbage

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Definitely not Modern Family, despite having a gay couple as two of the leads. That show is seriously hosed by 2021 standards.

my ex liked that show and i absolutely loving hated it

just the most nihilistic bourgeois drivel

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

one part of me is living vicariously through you and is really enjoying these happy posts of yours :3:

another part of me is chuckling to itself, thinking about how the bolded part you're celebrating becomes a nightmare once your kid learns to move and instantly transforms into a small mobile suicide machine

B-Rock452 posted:

This is such a fantastic description of what kids are. When my oldest was around 14 months a baby bird fell out of a nest so I got a ladder and we made a big deal of getting the bird back into the nest and I literally turned my back for five seconds afterwards and she was all the way up the ladder. She had never seen a ladder before and was still somewhat janky when it came to walking but she just flew up this ladder. Looking at photos from even just 3 years ago I have aged so much.

Hahahaha, oh no doubt, I fully expect to be run ragged in the coming years

I'm actually getting back into shape as if I were back to playing hockey regularly which has made me feel great but I know the true reason is to chase this little rear end in a top hat around and keep her alive lmao

Haven't really put on weight over the years, I don't think I've ever gotten higher than about 150-155 due to the occasional run but my wife was an absolute running machine when she was a baby and I was too so I'm doing my best to get back to "constant line changes and skating drills" levels of fitness. I've never been so excited and terrified at the same time and it's hilarious that that's pretty much parenting

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

thanks to a strict low carb diet with some light weight training, i was in the best shape of my life. i'd lost a lot of weight, i had some muscle definition, my blood pressure was down, life was great

then my first child was born

i congratulate those whose response to parenthood was to get into shape because lol the exact opposite happened to me

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Yeah our kid is nearly five and I am just now starting to lose the 40 pounds of “baby weight” I put on. My wife of course has long since returned to her pre-baby weight.

I tried using a jogging stroller to go running with after our kid was born but it was far to much a pain in the rear end. It didn’t really fold up all the small in the car so I always had to remove and re-attach to get it to fit in the trunk and then I had to stop every 10-15 minutes to address food needs/diaper change.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I put together a decent home gym right before our first was born and it was a life saver. You do have to get used to not having a schedule (I would get pissed if I was planning on lifting at 5am but couldn't if the baby woke up) but once I accepted chaos into my life I was ok.

I do love having my three year old work out with me. She helps load weight (5 and 2.5 lb plates) and is in charge of chalk. She also counts ie shouts random numbers out and loves benching. I also took an old ammonia bottle and put dried beans in it so she can shake it and take a big smell of it. Elitefts actually shared a video I took of her doing it because it is insanely cute.

I should be clear that I never make her work out with me if she doesn't want to and sometimes she will use that time to get some computer time in. My main goal is for her to find a sport she loves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think the worst part of the past year was discovering very quickly that one of my kids gets motion sickness if he's in a car for more than ten minutes. now he refuses to get in the car to go anywhere. we don't go anywhere anymore.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Another Bill posted:

I changed diapers everyday for 7 straight years and while it never seemed like a chore, goddamn am I glad that's over
gently caress congrats. I'm entering year 6 of non-stop diaper changing and good lord i'll be so happy once it's done

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

one part of me is living vicariously through you and is really enjoying these happy posts of yours :3:

another part of me is chuckling to itself, thinking about how the bolded part you're celebrating becomes a nightmare once your kid learns to move and instantly transforms into a small mobile suicide machine

Thankfully there's training software to help prepare for when they start moving.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
if a detective can’t find the murder weapon at a crime scene deploy a crawling robot with baby ai

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hey, what good kids shows or kid-friendly animes feature LGBT characters? My 9-year-old has noticed the near-complete absence of LGBT anything in most media and is getting pretty upset about it.

e: gonna ask in the LGBT thread too

new duck tales has a character with 2 dads
steven universe
she-ra series on netflix
raya and the last dragon doesn't touch on it explicitly but it's implied that the two main female characters are gay

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

steven universe is just plain fuckin weird to me, though

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

steven universe is just plain fuckin weird to me, though

yeah same

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It also takes a lot - a whole fuckin lot - to get me to enjoy a kids show with musical numbers that isn't uhhh, sesame street if that counts, animaniacs??? That might be it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pete the cat is oddly charming.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Peg + Cat is good too

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Tzen posted:

Peg + Cat is good too

loved that one

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nature documentaries are great for kids imo

i got a lot of mileage out of the Life series, narrated by attenborough. my first kid watched the first episode when she was like 3 or 4, in which a group of kodomo dragons kill a water buffalo. as they showed footage of komodo dragons feasting upon its bloody carcass, my daughter got this glow in her eyes and turned to me to tell me what was apparently the moral of the story

"look daddy, the kodomo dragons killed the buffalo by working together as a team!"

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

octonauts was big for mine for awhile
true and the rainbow kingdom as well

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

CREATURE REPORT.

CREATURE REPORT.

CREATURE REPORT!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
gently caress the octonauts, gently caress calliou, gently caress paw patrol, gently caress the bubble guppies, gently caress super why. Once we got our kids hooked on spongebob we never looked back.

I will say that there are some genuinely good tv series that are "educational." tumbleleaf and story bots comes to mind

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Tzen posted:

Peg + Cat is good too

oh yeah this one was adorable

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

number blocks is good too and some of the songs are good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

also: Tumble Leaf is so drat cute and the voice acting is super good. like they use actual kids.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
but most of all gently caress calliou

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
ones of my friend's kids was obsessed with the micky funhouse show for like 3 years straight. (turns out he's mildly autistic). That loving show is ear cancer and I'm glad that never became a thing in our house

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I low key like Thomas the train, he's a bitch made loser and there are tons of super rude trains who dunk on him constantly. Plus the mayor is a misogynist and drunk with power. It's surreal to critically watch it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

1 week of binge watching number blocks taught my younger kids more math than the entire school year put together

but now i find myself pining for square one and its awesome 999 song

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

do we really not have a herman cain smilie yet?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
:bgc:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

today in virtual school my kid read a book about Earth Day that had a section about making sure you eat all of your food and save your leftovers so that there is enough food for everyone.

I stopped him right there and explained that people don't go hungry because he didn't finish his chicken nuggets. people go hungry because the systems in place are designed to fail the most vulnerable people who have no agency.

remote school is fun.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

1 week of binge watching number blocks taught my younger kids more math than the entire school year put together

but now i find myself pining for square one and its awesome 999 song

remember mathnet?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

remember mathnet?

i wish i could rewatch those. i loved mathnet, but i can't remember it well at all

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Flavius Aetass posted:

remember mathnet?

gently caress yes

the maltese pigeon, the fibonacci baseball mystery, the goddamn playing poker using dollar bills and solving a mystery because they were too sequential

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Japanese children's educational TV (i.e. not anime) owns a lot

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Oh wait Butt Detective is pretty good

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
oh yeah, loving tayo the little bus, lmao

forgot about that bullshit show. It's horrid. The voice acting in the English series is done by the worst voice actors in Canada. Plus the "lessons" are garbage, little fuckers always apologizing and deferring to authority

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Everyone here should be thankful their kids did not discover If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. It's so bad but all they want to watch.

Also I love Bluey. My parenting style is best described as the dad from that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

super why on PBS kids is not too bad for actual education stuff.

During the stay at home order my kid got into some korean show called GoGo dinosaurs and it drove me crazy. Every episode is the same plot of baby dinosaurs need help and then a real bad(sometimes tone deaf) singing about the dinosaur after the show. Some of the worst dubs right now.

Then I was like well I'll try Dot on Hulu and that show sucks too. Just somebody who has to get on her tablet to solve stuff while living in a loving huge mid century modern house that looks like it could be on the west coast (so probably 2mil)so i'm like i can't be watching this poo poo.

But for education stuff now , my kid has been obsessed with the immune system for about a year so it's just any show that talks about viruses and bacteria infections and how we fight them off. Dr binocs on YouTube is ok however, his pronunciation for a lot of things is really bad in English(he's south asian) so I have to correct him all the time.