Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my shipmates on firstship in Japan straight up went to sleep while on the internal rover watch in the berthing. When the duty chief found him, he was suggled up on a couch with his gun laying on the floor. Chief picked up the weapon and assumed the rest of the watch.

Dude went to DRB, but only lost his firearm qual because the watch section heads had gundecked his internal rover qual. He never should have been on the watch in the first place.

That man is a chief today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just before I arrived at my first ship (also in Japan), I had a fellow DIVO leave the quarterdeck as inport OOD while on the midwatch. In a stroke of genius (and because the heads are super small on a minesweep), he decided to leave his weapon on the quarterdeck. The rover found it and held the watch until he got back.

That man never got his pin.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sailor hung her belt on the bathroom door to use the restroom and left it there for a few hours. Got kicked off security.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Someone here has a story you're going to love

Kinda the opposite in a way.

Just want to add that being a civilian rules I stumbled backwards into a “cyber security” job where I think they just wanted someone with that title to sound good to the investors since I’m basically just an extra hand with IT, and I don’t even do direct helpdesk, I just do research and write scripts.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.postguam.com/news/local/seabee-dies-while-assigned-in-tinian/article_2bad6f6c-a0ef-11eb-90be-23b628cde8f7.html

Sailor got caught in a rip tide. New guy with a family. Pretty loving awful to state the total obvious, obe od my former troops is out there and they're taking it as well as can be expected.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sailor hung her belt on the bathroom door to use the restroom and left it there for a few hours. Got kicked off security.

For awhile I was locked with a Duty Chief who wasn't qualified guns (because my psycho captain refused to sign out the list of qualified arms locker key holders) so I'd be armed for 24 hours as EDPO, with both sets of small arms keys. When it came time to rack out I'd just kinda awkwardly jam all that poo poo in my rack. I am 99% sure that's unkosher as hell.

Unrelated rant: I'm up for my ops/nuc/sub physical, and medical has been a nonstop nightmare for me over the past month, their hours are 9-11 and 13-15, with training all day Thursday, and they spent a month loving my paperwork up, so I finally went in today, while I'm on transfer leave.

My BP has been 130-140 for like a year, apparently no one gives a poo poo.

The following convos happened today.

Doc: "I need you to be more specific about your *surgery*"
Me: "It's in my medical record, I don't remember the details"
Doc: "well, we can't just read your medical record, when was it?:
Me: "2016?"
Doc: "okay *tangent about remembering the date and hospital for his wrist surgery"

Doc: "Any heart problems?"
Me: "I have an abnormal heartbeat"
Doc: "ok, what type?"
Me: "I literally can't remember, it's benign and there's a CD with a weeks worth of data on it collected from a Halter Monitor by Yale-New Haven Hospital in my medical record, I can show it to you"
Doc: "ok, but I need to know exactly what it was.
Me: "OK, give me my medical record, I'll find it for you" *reaches for medical record*
Doc: *pulls medical record away* *stares*
Me: *stares*
Doc "ok, for the next part of the physical we'll....."

I can't take this poo poo, I've wasted like 20 hours at medical over the last couple weeks for no reason, while doing my actual job, just omit the ball fondling and teethy check you stupid fucks, the physical reveals nothing.

Also I got the 5 stitches I got in my finger at a civvie urgent care pulled today by an HMCS, but he accidentally flipped the scalpel the wrong way and ripped one out instead of cutting it

:patriot:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol FTN and gently caress you if you're still in.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Don't skip the teethy check they hosed me on the way out by not doing one.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2021

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elendil004 posted:

Don't skip the teethy check the hosed me on the way out by not doing one.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My falling asleep on watch was only 6 months after 9/11. Things were taken a lot more seriously. They ripped my frock, obviously (a week away from me getting paid for it which hurts far more), renacted my suspended bust which took my crow, then hit me with another bust to E2 as well as a 45/45 and a week in the brig.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drat....

Did you at least get good sleep that week in the brig?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My falling asleep on watch was only 6 months after 9/11. Things were taken a lot more seriously. They ripped my frock, obviously (a week away from me getting paid for it which hurts far more), renacted my suspended bust which took my crow, then hit me with another bust to E2 as well as a 45/45 and a week in the brig.

Yoowzer. We had a frocked E4 busted down to 2 back in 05 on PCU New Orleans. He was topside rover on a berthing barge and decided to quell the boredom by disassembling and cleaning the M4 in the middle of watch because "he was a country boy who grew up with ar15s". MACM was less than pleased with that initiative. Seems to be a navy trend they should address in training lol.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Crab Dad posted:

drat....

Did you at least get good sleep that week in the brig?

I actually did, there was nothing else to do.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I slept more my first two weeks in the brig than I did in my five years in the Navy.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hmm, sleeping, must be nice

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I had a frocked E-5 in my first division who got busted down to E-3 and given the full 45/45, 1/2 pay for two months for getting shitfaced off absinth during a port visit in Hong Kong. He woke up in a water tower on the top of a building on the other side of Kowloon when he came to. When he finally climbed out of the water tower and jumped down to the roof, he broke through the roof and landed in some old guy's apartment. He got back to the ship about an hour curfew.

Worst part is I was the legal officer, and he was my best loving electrician. And I was the CDO that night freaking out because he was the only who didn't make it back by curfew. >_>

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had a frocked E7 at the Intel schoolhouse that got knocked down for sexual harassment of a student to E5. Saw him years later at a fleet MIOC when our ship was inport and he was able to retire as an E6.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

King of Bees posted:

Yoowzer. We had a frocked E4 busted down to 2 back in 05 on PCU New Orleans. He was topside rover on a berthing barge and decided to quell the boredom by disassembling and cleaning the M4 in the middle of watch because "he was a country boy who grew up with ar15s". MACM was less than pleased with that initiative. Seems to be a navy trend they should address in training lol.

I bet he didn't verify the MRC before he started either.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

We had a Frocked Chief pop positive for coke. Busted to E-5; admin sep out. Got caught running a coke ring in the restriction barracks. Reduced in rate to E-1, BCD. All-but-paid E-7 to E-1 in ~3 months. Took a fistful of Chiefs with him as accomplices/facilitators. Also a fistful of E-6s and quite a lot of E-2 through E-5 there in the barracks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Anita Dickinme posted:

I slept more my first two weeks in the brig than I did in my five years in the Navy.

Some people were complaining about the two week ROM in conex box housing prior to joining their ships on deployment, and I was just like... dudes, this is probably the best two weeks of deployment for a lot of people. Other than the food, that kind of sucked. But as crappy and run-down as those housing units are, they were still vastly better than virtually any berthing on the ship.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

King of Bees posted:

PCU New Orleans? :laffo: we probably have met.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.postguam.com/news/local/seabee-dies-while-assigned-in-tinian/article_2bad6f6c-a0ef-11eb-90be-23b628cde8f7.html

Sailor got caught in a rip tide. New guy with a family. Pretty loving awful to state the total obvious, obe od my former troops is out there and they're taking it as well as can be expected.

Saw this on FB. loving sucks man, sorry. Really sorry for his family.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Best sleep I ever got was on the Howard in the middle of PAC sailing through a typhoon. That rocking and rolling just out me out like a baby.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I feel for you guys. They really should send more active duty sailors to these dumb EPF ships as down time and rest because we reservists dont deserve this kind of rest and relaxation compared to sea duty sailors.

Oh man what an idea. 30-50 sailors at time for rest and relaxation to work on evals/quals/jerking off for a few weeks. No extra duty just good food and regular sleep. Give these ships a real mission as a floating MWR.

Also I want flying pigs and unicorns civilians manning the ship.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Who takes their weapon apart on watch? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Crab Dad posted:

Man I feel for you guys. They really should send more active duty sailors to these dumb EPF ships as down time and rest because we reservists dont deserve this kind of rest and relaxation compared to sea duty sailors.

Oh man what an idea. 30-50 sailors at time for rest and relaxation to work on evals/quals/jerking off for a few weeks. No extra duty just good food and regular sleep. Give these ships a real mission as a floating MWR.

Also I want flying pigs and unicorns civilians manning the ship.

In six days or less this would get hosed up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

In six days or less this would get hosed up.

Money on the less. We just got a new OIC who had to spend some extra time at ECRC to take a refresher on taking sailors to mast. We had some..... issues in 2020.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I actually did this a lot when I had the Tower watch at pier 13 in San Diego.it was a 6 hour watch, alone, at night, at the end of a pier with no ships on it. I used to bring my cleaning kit and strip and clean my M14. Now even though I wasn't a gunners mate I did have my armory qual so I at least knew what I was doing.

At least they gave us a radio so we wouldn't go completely insane.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

:thunk:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I actually did this a lot when I had the Tower watch at pier 13 in San Diego.it was a 6 hour watch, alone, at night, at the end of a pier with no ships on it. I used to bring my cleaning kit and strip and clean my M14. Now even though I wasn't a gunners mate I did have my armory qual so I at least knew what I was doing.

At least they gave us a radio so we wouldn't go completely insane.

I think the issue isn't the skill or ability to clean the weapon, more along the lines of making it completely non-functional during the time when it can be absolutely crucial to be functional.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

King of Bees posted:

I think the issue isn't the skill or ability to clean the weapon, more along the lines of making it completely non-functional during the time when it can be absolutely crucial to be functional.

Yeah makes sense. Time and place definitely matter.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My watch sleeping happened when I was 19, also within the year after 9/11. I did it a couple of times while I was the topside rover with an M-14, midwatch, in the winter, in Norfolk, on a DD. There was a bosun locker aft, near the Sea Sparrow platform that was filled with coiled dock line. I'd check in with the OOD, then rove around and crawl into the locker and crash on top of the line. Blessedly out of the wind, I'd set my watch alarm and conk out for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Wake up, rove back to the QD, then repeat. Never got caught. Bad Sailor! Bad!

Now that I've been in the Navy for 20 years, I see 20+ year-olds falling asleep during training or whatever and wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them. Then I remember. They stay up late as gently caress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Some of the best naps of my life have been on coils of mooring ropes in the lower focstle while underway, highly recommend.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

DustyNuts posted:

My watch sleeping happened when I was 19, also within the year after 9/11. I did it a couple of times while I was the topside rover with an M-14, midwatch, in the winter, in Norfolk, on a DD. There was a bosun locker aft, near the Sea Sparrow platform that was filled with coiled dock line. I'd check in with the OOD, then rove around and crawl into the locker and crash on top of the line. Blessedly out of the wind, I'd set my watch alarm and conk out for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Wake up, rove back to the QD, then repeat. Never got caught. Bad Sailor! Bad!

Now that I've been in the Navy for 20 years, I see 20+ year-olds falling asleep during training or whatever and wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them. Then I remember. They stay up late as gently caress.

Yes they do. We were doing a missile/ammo onload at Seal Beach and even though I had duty I wasn't actually supposed to have watch that night, so after a very long daytime evolution of humping 5 inch shells I went ahead and played D&D down in the smoke shed until 3am. Then suddenly I had watch! Topside with a rifle! I even told Chief that I didn't feel up for it and it was probably a bad idea.

Welp, it turned out to be a bad idea. Leaned up against the captain's chair on the bridge wing and the rest was history.

Despite unfucking myself later in my career I never did learn the "Dont stay up late" part.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FrozenVent posted:

Some of the best naps of my life have been on coils of mooring ropes in the lower focstle while underway, highly recommend.

Sleeping on a pile of float coats behind the consoles in CIC while being the only one with access on duty in port.

Amazing sleep.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yes they do. We were doing a missile/ammo onload at Seal Beach and even though I had duty I wasn't actually supposed to have watch that night, so after a very long daytime evolution of humping 5 inch shells I went ahead and played D&D down in the smoke shed until 3am. Then suddenly I had watch! Topside with a rifle! I even told Chief that I didn't feel up for it and it was probably a bad idea.

Welp, it turned out to be a bad idea. Leaned up against the captain's chair on the bridge wing and the rest was history.

Despite unfucking myself later in my career I never did learn the "Dont stay up late" part.

So I was joking earlier, I'm the rear end in a top hat that took apart his 9mm on gate guard duty in Great Mistakes.

Right now I'm in Seal Beach doing our pre-deployment onload. I made drat sure that the watchbill coordinators knew that my guys aren't going to stand a watch after humping ammo all day, but here I am posting from an uber back to base at midnight on a Wednesday.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Take that Under to Jay Birds fried chicken in Downtown Huntington Beach

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
During my first oil transfer in the yards I sat in front of a valve for a hour bored as poo poo before my foreman checked on me, which was dope since it seemed he cared and that was foreign to me, and he asked how I was doing and I told him that I didn’t think I’d be standing watch as a civilian. He told me I can sit down and play on my phone and it made a whole difference.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

There is no sleep more peaceful than sleep stolen during a scheduled watch.

My favorite spot to sleep while on topside rover was to climb up to the 49 antenna platform on the LSD where I had a folding chair stashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The 30 minutes of nap in some hidden cubby during the 1 hour after watch cleanup accounted for like 10% of my daily sleep.

Except one time I found a cubby with so much flaking paint and rust that I spent three days of honest work chipping, scraping, sanding, and repainting it so when me or my future shipmates napped in it we wouldn't wake up covered in that uniquely itchy mix of decaying metal flakes.