Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
If Nintendo does release an upgraded switch like is rumored I hope they put ffxiv on it because the only thing i use my ps4 for nowadays is playing 14 away from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if i didn't touch computers for money then yeah i'd be all about having a computer for video games. but i do, so 🤷‍♀️

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

With a ps5 controller it's basically the same thing only more powerful

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly this generation, like last generation, is best served with a Switch and a PC

God forbid you need vid card however

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

God forbid you need vid card however

This was why I made the deliberate choice to step off the pc gaming hardware treadmill in 2000 and go with consoles.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah Nintendo also does the same artificial shortage crap like Nvidia does, it's so lame.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i remember it being really obnoxious to buy a video card in like 2017, and it seems much much worse now. the fact that they seem to cost as much as a console once you find one definitely helps keep me away from computer gaming

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah Nintendo also does the same artificial shortage crap like Nvidia does, it's so lame.

:thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also it would be cool if Nintendo allowed me to backup my savegames (no I'm not paying for their online service) but I guess ~piracy~

Achmed Jones posted:

i remember it being really obnoxious to buy a video card in like 2017, and it seems much much worse now. the fact that they seem to cost as much as a console once you find one definitely helps keep me away from computer gaming
The "good ones" cost multiple consoles :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

orcane posted:

Also it would be cool if Nintendo allowed me to backup my savegames (no I'm not paying for their online service) but I guess ~piracy~

The "good ones" cost multiple consoles :v:

Huh, Switch does that too?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It only lets you backup savegames to cloud storage, which requires a (paid) Nintendo Switch Online membership.

I think the only stuff you can manually save to the SD card so it's user-accessible is screenshots etc.?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

See: NES + SNES Classic, Amiibo, Mario 3D All Stars

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Usually you can get a 'good enough' video card for something like $200-$400 that'll run just about anything at 60 FPS or beyond at 1080p. The top, top end gets expensive, but that's for folks who want something way, way past console standards. And usually can stand up for multiple new cycles of video card (my five year old 1080 is still running most anything at 1440/144fps at high or max settings.)

I mean, right now video cards are a bitch, but it's not an isolated problem, considering PS5s and XBox Series Xs are even harder to find then an nVidia 30XX line card unless you're willing to pay a scalper almost double retail.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly this generation, like last generation, is best served with a Switch and a PC

I lucked out and got a ps5 a couple of weeks after launch so I'm using that in place of a PC this time around, at least until the price drops on PC parts.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, so I popped into the shop on my VitaTV and basically had a miserable time trying to find the games I wanted to buy, eventually giving up and not giving Sony money when I couldn't find at least half of them.

Really do want to pick up what I can before the shop goes down, but the odds of seeking out :filez: methods are increasing as I actually am having a hard time finding the games that used to be on my wishlist before that got deleted. Also searching for "suikoden" only brings up the first one and not the second one, which I thankfully picked up already when the webstore still worked :wtc:

gently caress Sony. Rant over.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nopaystation recently added an option to open PSN links from the PS3 and Vita web browsers. You don't need to have your console modded and you won't be pirating this way, just access NPS's website from the console browser and click the Open in PS3/Vita buttons, they should open the webstore app on the game you want. Once again not linking cuz of :filez: but yeah

(Those are all the suikoden results btw)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It's insanely frustrating that the Vita store just. doesn't list all the games that work on the Vita.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Picked up Hot Shots Golf, excellent game and probably my last psn vita purchase. End of an era.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Picked up Hot Shots Golf, excellent game and probably my last psn vita purchase. End of an era.

love that game. its definitely the best game in the franchise and probably the best game on the vita

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Never tried the series before and am quite surprised that it's as in depth as a more serious sim like the Golf Club. Gonna be putting a lot of time in on this more than likely.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sony reversed, PS3 and Vita stores are staying open. PSP is still getting shut down. Dunno if this means PSP games will no longer be on the Vita store though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh, so when all of the gaming blogs/vlogs spent the past two weeks going "Honestly, piracy is going to be the only option with how bad Ebay is right now" they saw reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They don't make money from ebay either, i dunno why they'd care

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They don't make money from ebay either, i dunno why they'd care

I think it may be more that the announcement caused a flood (including in this thread) of people saying "Cool, you are giving tacit permission to pirate poo poo" and they wanted to shut that the hell up immediately. Like, people are gonna pirate things regardless, but the louder and more brazen people are about it, the more people who wouldn't otherwise be bothered get sucked in.

Case in point: while my Vita was already cracked, my PS3 was not until three days ago because I simply didn't care enough. I figured better safe than sorry. And they probably aren't losing a ton of sales to people like me (I mean, I already bought most of the games I really care about anyhow), but I think they want to keep discussion of this stuff from bubbling over, and it very much did in reaction to the shutdown. They have to maintain the file servers anyhow, at this point the webstore can't possibly cost that much to maintain (I mean...loving look at it!), and even if it only means they make $10 a month from random people remembering to buy Suikoden, it's worth it to keep the underground convos underground.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They probably got a bunch of angry calls too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's more a question of appearances. They thought no one would care, many probably didn't, but the principle of it pissed a lot of people off. It was a lot of bad PR for something that probably doesn't actually cost them much.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Did they change leadership recently? Seems they've made a series of unpopular decisions since the ps5 came out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some while before the PS5 launched they had a big shakeup. Sony seems to do that every gen for some reason.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

George RR Fartin posted:

They have to maintain the file servers anyhow, at this point the webstore can't possibly cost that much to maintain (I mean...loving look at it!), and even if it only means they make $10 a month from random people remembering to buy Suikoden, it's worth it to keep the underground convos underground.

File servers aren't expensive, but keeping webstores from circa 2006 and 2012 perpetually safe from hackers is a full time job. Not in terms of stopping piracy, but protecting the credit card payment systems, which would be a disaster to have hacked from negligence. (This might be why nintendo moved wii u and 3ds eshops in the EU to only accept wallet balances and no credit cards in the EU a few years ago?). After the PSN hack and the Sony Picture hack... if the legacy stores are a potential security threat, sony will either throw money at them to keep them safe or burn them down. The flood of FOMO purchases over the last month might have justified another year or two of store support, especially if someone at Sony has decided this legacy content can be monetized in some way going forward.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Speaking as someone who just bought a Vita, this decision pleases me. Yes I hacked it, and I will pirate anything I can't otherwise obtain, but I'm always happy to actually purchase the the games I want. Hell, I'll probably purchase the PSP and PSX games I pirated for that system after the PSP store was unavailable.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The PSP library is vastly superior to the Vita one but playing them on vita is much better cause you can remap controls

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
and the display is just glorious compared to the psp (or every other handheld ever made)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have OLED image retention issues? I'd don't play mine enough, but I've always been curious how bad it gets. I've never actually heard anyone complain about it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Walla posted:

Speaking as someone who just bought a Vita, this decision pleases me. Yes I hacked it, and I will pirate anything I can't otherwise obtain, but I'm always happy to actually purchase the the games I want. Hell, I'll probably purchase the PSP and PSX games I pirated for that system after the PSP store was unavailable.

lol no you won’t.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have OLED image retention issues? I'd don't play mine enough, but I've always been curious how bad it gets. I've never actually heard anyone complain about it.

It seems to be massively overstated as a potential issue.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That weird screen effect with the name I can’t remember on the OLED’s is definitely a thing when they switch to all black for anything but otherwise they’re beautiful.

Looks kind of like the screen is stained with water drops.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

That weird screen effect with the name I can’t remember on the OLED’s is definitely a thing when they switch to all black for anything but otherwise they’re beautiful.

Looks kind of like the screen is stained with water drops.

the mura effect?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s it, yeah.

If you aren’t expecting it the first time you see it it looks like the screen is hosed.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh yeah that happens to both of mine. It looks kinda funky, but I never notice it unless the screen is all-black. And I've never noticed any problems with image retention/burn-in. I thought that stopped being a problem after plasma TVs went away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've a question probably no one has the answer to, but I'm curious if any one has some thoughts: what was the reason behind linking PSVita game bubbles with save data, even on cart? My ideas are along the thought of making the bigger memory cards more valuable, since you can't just delete the games; also, to make people more eager to buy and maintain PS+ subcription, since that enabled cloud saves.

However, foolish as that might be, I keep wondering if there were any positives to the practice, and I can't think of any - especially since PSX and PSP games had separated saves.