Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah handing PSG the CL trophy by default absolutely needs to happen and has the added bonus of poch and PSG both acheiving their dream in the most hilariously anticlimactic way possible

re: players and active coaches, remember that football players are subject to pretty extreme discipline as to what they say in public - unless you're, like, zlatan, you just do not run your mouth. coaches and players seem to have been totally blindsided by this, and we must expect that they'll regroup in the coming days in various ways. i cannot see the players winning out on this in the long run, since the writing does seem to be on the wall for wage and transfer caps if this monstrosity is allowed to remain, so i'd not be surprised to see some very well-paid gentlemen start voicing doubts pretty soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i do feel a little bad for klopp on this - he was put on the spot immediately and had no chance to build any sort of support structure from which to take a stand, so now he's basically chosen to grumble and grovel

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hehehe

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Bape Culture posted:

There’s going to be a lot of players speaking to lawyers rn and seeing how they can get out of this mess I reckon. Sure most of them are mercenary cunts but I genuinely reckon there’ll be a fair few who won’t give a poo poo and just want to play for their country and in their home town and become absolute local heroes.

Yeah, I can definitely see Messi not wanting to risk his last chance to win WC with Argentina and signing for PSG next season. SL without Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Lewa and Haaland wouldn't be that much more attractive than CL with them.

Also players currently have bonuses tied up to qualification/performance in CL or domestic leagues, so they'd have to be redrawn... And the current TV deals suddenly losing value. It's a lawyer's dream.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

there is no way to "destroy them" short of everyone deciding not to watch the games, which seems incredibly unlikely. people are going to watch real madrid and arsenal play. the overwhelming evidence is that people will prefer to watch these teams play even when there is absolutely nothing at stake.

I've already more or less stopped watching football because VAR has ruined the game. I feel like lots of people have done the same or are approaching the same point, for the same reason, as me.
This walking abortion of an idea will be the trigger point for lots more people to throw their hands up and walk away.
If those numbers are high enough, it absolutely will impact the clubs financially, and since the whole premise here is: "More money for us --> gently caress you" that is a real threat to the project.

Also, the professional game would be destroyed if clubs realised that they can gang up on their Football Associations and extort changes whenever it suits them. For that reason alone, the FAs should terminate them with extreme prejudice.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

We won’t know for sure that it’s bad or not until some American has photoshopped the whole event over some avengers screenshots

https://twitter.com/CokeEnjoyer/status/1384278535984930819?s=20

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
CL finals become

Porto vs Leipzig/Atalanta
PSG vs Dortmund

EL finals become

Slavia Prague vs Villarreal
Granada vs Roma

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

i do feel a little bad for klopp on this - he was put on the spot immediately and had no chance to build any sort of support structure from which to take a stand, so now he's basically chosen to grumble and grovel
Yep. So on Saturday they were training for a game that would have been part of their drive for a top four position which probably would have been a repeat of their last game and been really fun, and the next day they're finding out its a meaningless mid-table fixture and everyone hates them. Everyone hates them more than everyone hates Leeds.

And then he has to act as club spokesman, because all of these clubs are keeping quiet right now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Florentino Perez posted:

“Football must evolve like everything in life. Football has to adapt to the times we live in now. Football is losing interest, TV rights are decreasing.

:wtc:

The man literally does not inhabit this plane of reality.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 20, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Made the mistake of reading cbc comments and people are supporting this. I hate all of them. They think these teams sticking in domestic leagues playing meaningless games is good??

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

It's coming home.

I do feel sorry for the football fans to see something like this happen but the owners of these clubs are business people. They have all made an assessment that this will make them more money since broadcasting rights in new markets are worth more than the cash inflow from legacy fans. There are a lot of legacy fans but they will have to exhibit widespread discipline to boycott this league for an extended period of time and apply political pressure to make this new league fail. Somehow I don't have much faith in that happening. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Crazy Ted posted:

The man literally does not inhabit this plane of reality.
He can't just say "I just want a bigger returns on my investment, shove it losers".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Budzilla posted:

It's coming home.

I do feel sorry for the football fans to see something like this happen but the owners of these clubs are business people. They have all made an assessment that this will make them more money since broadcasting rights in new markets are worth more than the cash inflow from legacy fans. There are a lot of legacy fans but they will have to exhibit widespread discipline to boycott this league for an extended period of time and apply political pressure to make this new league fail. Somehow I don't have much faith in that happening. But I would love to be proved wrong.
He can't just say "I just want a bigger returns on my investment, shove it losers".

I can see it not having a huge following in the countries where the clubs play, but internationally it'll be big. Hopefully it gets jammed on high cost speciality channels and nobody can afford to watch.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Please don't start using "legacy fans" unironically.

What's the reaction been like in Italy and Spain? I assume as negative as in England?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

peanut- posted:

What's the reaction been like in Italy and Spain? I assume as negative as in England?

Farca fans are divided, many like it cos it saves them from bankruptcy and the catalan independence movement people who support barca are so brainwormed they consider this 'breaking out from under authoritarian spanish control' instead of chickenshit selling out. There are fans who are disgusted and ironically bring out mes que un club but it's split. (To be clear I am not against the independence movement, but guys who support it AND treat barca as an important part of that movement are not the sharpest tools in the shed)

Real is also split on this. I dunno about Atletico

Juve fans who weren't already iffy about poo poo like ronaldos rape and the crest are happy cos it saves a dire juve too. And then you have guys like me who are officially done. I'd say 50/50 here too.

Most everyone else in those two leagues hates it

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 20, 2021

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Also,,,

https://twitter.com/Paul_Tenorio/status/1383917914139488259?s=20

https://twitter.com/MadridSports_/status/1384235018285764610

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mes que un farce

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

now sort by debt

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Based on Twitter translation, I hate this guy OP.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

peanut- posted:

I will say I have no skin in this game but I do find football interesting since it is the world's game. A lot of people would only watch the game once or twice a year at home or in a bar this is the sort 'fan' the clubs' owners are eyeing at. Most people in non-football markets have only heard of a few big name teams like the ones in the Super League and if they can plaster those names all the time for game fixtures then that is a huge win for them.

Legacy might not be the best word but it defines people who deeply care about their game and built an important part of their lives around it. Club owners only care about the money and they are using the brand name as commodity to sell to larger markets. If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

peanut- posted:

Based on Twitter translation, I hate this guy OP.
he an absolute shithead friend

for the unsullied by chamuyando or other spanish dialects, the first tweet says "Naturally, previous european championships carry over, as was done with the CL. Madrid, with 13, remains King."

And the second tweet lists the current Super League trophies every club has.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 20, 2021

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Budzilla posted:

I will say I have no skin in this game but I do find football interesting since it is the world's game. A lot of people would only watch the game once or twice a year at home or in a bar this is the sort 'fan' the clubs' owners are eyeing at. Most people in non-football markets have only heard of a few big name teams like the ones in the Super League and if they can plaster those names all the time for game fixtures then that is a huge win for them.

Legacy might not be the best word but it defines people who deeply care about their game and built an important part of their lives around it. Club owners only care about the money and they are using the brand name as commodity to sell to larger markets. If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

Thanks for coming into the football forums and educating us about the current state of football op. some real eye opening stuff. we will get right on coming up with a better adjective for you.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Budzilla posted:

If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

They are fans. The people you are describing are spectators.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1384270431272652804?s=19

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

peanut- posted:

To add on to what dex_sda has already mentioned, every non-ESL team in La Liga have put out statements saying they disagree with the ESL and distance themselves from it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

bawfuls posted:

30 seconds into this podcast and I am already triggered by this Brit pronouncing José with a hard J

bawfuls posted:

wiki suggests its much closer to a z than a hard English j but they both sounds super weird to my used-to-spanglish ear

I'm not sure where you are from but look up "portugal" and "spain" on wikipedia.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Pooper League

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jippa posted:

I'm not sure where you are from but look up "portugal" and "spain" on wikipedia.

lmfao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hearing Barry mispronounce literally every foreign name is part of the charm op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bawfuls posted:

wait do British people think this is the same as a hard J like the name Joe?
bitch you didn't even know the portuguese language existed 2 minutes before you made this post, don't start backtracking with your "actually it's a ʒ" bullshit now

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Budzilla posted:

You picked a bad one because Perez or one of the other ghouls in charge of this made a distinction between the "legacy fans" of clubs that they've already bled dry but will still keep squeezing anyway and the "international fans" or "new fans" or something which are the billions of Asians and Americans who will definitely 100% all of them without hesitation sign up for yet another $30/month streaming video plan thereby saving football.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In retrospect football that mattered ended in 2003 when Abramovich bought Chelsea. That scumbag amount of money should never have been in football.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.

City and Chelsea will be the weak links in bringing this down imo. They're way more susceptible to political pressure.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Flayer posted:

In retrospect football that mattered ended in 2003 when Abramovich bought Chelsea. That scumbag amount of money should never have been in football.

Eh, you could argue that ball and this one are the same and began rolling with the creation of the Premiership as it was then.

As I've said in a previous post, the FA, Premier League etc were happy to stand by and let Abramovich and The Glazers etc into the sport. They danced with the devil and are now complaining the music has changed.

e:

peanut- posted:

Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.

City and Chelsea will be the weak links in bringing this down imo. They're way more susceptible to political pressure.

Abramovich and his billions is a world away from local businessperson buys/runs local club as a labour of love.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Another interesting factor would be teams in Spain and Italy that are not included.

Of course, it is a massive disrespect that 6 PL clubs, among then absolute garbage clubs, declare themselves the best in Europe over actual good teams in Germany and France. However, these leagues are still functional despite some ESL and they can send their teams if they so choose and flatten teams like Arsenal or Tottenham.

But for Italian or Spanish teams, international and eventually domestic Football is pretty much over. One would expect some ruffled feathers

Ill give you Germany but theres 1 good team in France, and even then they are perennial bottlers

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lets take it to the BBC comment section

quote:

Ian: How can football fans be surprised that this has happened, given the abuse & vitriol directed at club owners? There is a massive fan base in other parts of the world, and those fans don't insult the owners after every match

Ah yes its the...checks notes...fans fault?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

CyberPingu posted:

Ill give you Germany but theres 1 good team in France, and even then they are perennial bottlers

Yer Lille, Lyon, and Monaco are poo poo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer Lille, Lyon, and Monaco are poo poo

In terms of Champions league performances.

Lyon - Semi finalists twice
Lille - 1 RO16
Monaco - 1 semi, 1 final since 2000
Marseille - 2 finals in the 90s, never got past the quarters since

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 20, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

cadfael posted:

Listening to the radio 5 podcast before the leeds game again and the non-football playing pundit says in regards to this thing working 'I cant see how it does, and i cant see how anyone turns back'.

I can certainly see how clubs can turn back from this. Football has a very short memory.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Perez says in his interview that the reason PSG, Bayern and Dortmund aren't in is because they weren't asked, not that they refused. Does anyone believe this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what do you think attendances will be like at esl games