  • Post
buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Silver2195 posted:

It currently has a rating of 3.18, apparently: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54270.Mein_Kampf

lmao

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

buffalo all day posted:

Wait.

Wait.

Hang on.

Goodreads lets people assign a rating to Mein Kampf? Do people, like, review it? Can someone post some reviews ? I don't have goodreads because it's terrible.

Yeah, she posted a screenshot comparison:

https://twitter.com/laurenthehough/status/1383832293790212103

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let me reiterate

there's a negative feedback loop here, you have to break the loop. you're never going to out debate the twitter mob. don't care how sassy you are.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

yep, time to let the people of goodreads know about this undiscovered little gem i unearthed, mein kampf. i think they'll be verrrry interested to hear my thoughts on this one

i changed my mind, seems like this person owns

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Are you the person she hired to search Twitter for her name? You've never posted in here (or any part of the book barn that I can see) before.

EDIT: I suppose, to be fair, you might have been looking to talk about the book since you are apparently reading it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

But why are we talking about a biography in the scifi thread?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah getting one star ratings on Goodreads sucks, especially if they don’t even come with a review. But her initial bit was needlessly antagonistic. This plus the recent Lindsay Ellis drama makes me think authors need to be careful on social media, save the hot takes for the private discords.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

This plus the recent Lindsay Ellis drama makes me think authors need to be careful on social media, save the hot takes for the private discords.

Unfortunately this is true for most anyone, at least with accounts tied to either your real name or your source of income.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Danhenge posted:

EDIT: I suppose, to be fair, you might have been looking to talk about the book since you are apparently reading it.

I was, this is the only thread that came up as a result, which seems odd... but SA threads certainly have been known to get off topic. And god knows it's impossible to try and discuss this book elsewhere at the moment, for the reason currently under discussion.

Ccs posted:

Yeah getting one star ratings on Goodreads sucks, especially if they don’t even come with a review. But her initial bit was needlessly antagonistic. This plus the recent Lindsay Ellis drama makes me think authors need to be careful on social media, save the hot takes for the private discords.

I'm not sure. I mean, if you're talking about how an author should market themselves, then absolutely. If you're talking about what an ideal world of literary criticism looks like, I think she raises an important point in a profoundly stupid and antagonistic fashion. Arguably, a lot of people look at reviews on sites like Goodreads or Rotten Tomatoes or such to determine what they might like to read, and it's honestly a bit hosed that it can simply get taken over by weird meta-narratives like this.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (the next Wayfarer's book by Becky Chambers) comes out tomorrow (in the US at least, since some places got it earlier) and I'm excited to start reading it, but a little bittersweet since apparently it's supposed to be the last one in the series. But knowing where to stop is also a good thing.

I also chuckled when I read the plot blurb that the space-truck-stop where it's set is on a world called Gora :whip:

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
I, for one, support the replacement of the 1-5 star system with a simple "is it better or worse than Mein Kampf?"

A Good Replacement, if you will.

MathMathCalculation fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 20, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MathMathCalculation posted:

I, for one, support the replacement of the 1-5 star system with a simple "is it better or worse than Mein Kampf?"

It does strike me as odd that that's allowed on Goodreads. I think there's grounds to critique the edition/translation for academic purposes, and even to critically evaluate aspects of the book, again for academic purposes. I am reasonably certain none of those purposes will be fulfilled by Goodreads reviews.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Goodreads is a database, full stop.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DurianGray posted:

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (the next Wayfarer's book by Becky Chambers) comes out tomorrow (in the US at least, since some places got it earlier) and I'm excited to start reading it, but a little bittersweet since apparently it's supposed to be the last one in the series. But knowing where to stop is also a good thing.

I also chuckled when I read the plot blurb that the space-truck-stop where it's set is on a world called Gora :whip:

Anyone read an advance copy? Have enjoyed all of them so far but they walk a fine line.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Copernic posted:

Mercedes Lackey is still good. I'm trying to think of any other 90s-era author who had a gay protagonist in any book, much less a trilogy, and coming up absolutely empty. Am I missing anybody?

Melissa Scott.

I went and checked the Lambda nominees:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lambda_Literary_Awards_winners_and_nominees_for_science_fiction,_fantasy_and_horror to see who I might have been forgetting only to note that Baen author Thomas T. Thomas got a nomination at one point for this : https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1996531.Crygender.

Not the best of decades, the 90s.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Goodreads' problem is that it is just the average of user scores instead of a per-user predictive score based on some machine learning algorithm.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure. I mean, if you're talking about how an author should market themselves, then absolutely. If you're talking about what an ideal world of literary criticism looks like, I think she raises an important point in a profoundly stupid and antagonistic fashion. Arguably, a lot of people look at reviews on sites like Goodreads or Rotten Tomatoes or such to determine what they might like to read, and it's honestly a bit hosed that it can simply get taken over by weird meta-narratives like this.

Yeah in an ideal world people wouldn’t leave bad reviews for a reason outside of the work itself. But people like their pile ons.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Copernic posted:

Mercedes Lackey is still good. I'm trying to think of any other 90s-era author who had a gay protagonist in any book, much less a trilogy, and coming up absolutely empty. Am I missing anybody?

I was going to say Naomi Kritzer but I guess she started in 2000.

Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series started in '96 and was a trilogy until she added 4 more books to it almost a decade later.

Those are the only ones I remember reading at the time.

There was also a 90s book starring a lesbian warrior and it was like Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a ship journey to various islands while they quested for something. But I don't remember the title or author or that it was any good. I think it had two male authors. When I try to picture it Michael Stackpole's unrelated Once a Hero and Dark Glory War series are what come to mind, but I think I just bought those around the same time.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Like, if I go in with fairly low expectations because I know they aren't going to live up to the originals, will I at least have a decent pulp fun time or will I just find Blade Runner 2?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MathMathCalculation posted:

On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Like, if I go in with fairly low expectations because I know they aren't going to live up to the originals, will I at least have a decent pulp fun time or will I just find Blade Runner 2?

NO

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MathMathCalculation posted:

On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Like, if I go in with fairly low expectations because I know they aren't going to live up to the originals, will I at least have a decent pulp fun time or will I just find Blade Runner 2?

They're really not

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

go read jack reacher and just pretend he's an elf, there are like 24 of them and they're all good

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MathMathCalculation posted:

On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Nooooooope. They even put a very helpful indicator somewhere on the front of each book, so that you can tell in advance that you shouldn't waste your time with it. Here's a picture of it for future reference.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Khizan posted:

Nooooooope. They even put a very helpful indicator somewhere on the front of each book, so that you can tell in advance that you shouldn't waste your time with it. Here's a picture of it for future reference.

Here is the trick to enjoying these books. Look up the titles on goodreads. This next step is the most important. Don’t read the books.

Ok now make up something in your head that would go with the book titles.

My personal favorite is my own headcannon version of the Butlerian Jihad.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I always thought ghola sounded like something that would have a headcannon. Like mentat heads are computers, ghola heads are cannons. Then warring houses would do battle with their ghola fleets, like Jutland on a football field

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MathMathCalculation posted:

On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Like, if I go in with fairly low expectations because I know they aren't going to live up to the originals, will I at least have a decent pulp fun time or will I just find Blade Runner 2?

No you won't have a fun time with the Brian Herbert/KJA Dune books unless you enjoy reading rejected Star Wars Extended Universe fiction from the 1990s.

And speaking of the 1990s & Dune series & Brian Herbert...
------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 16:32:20 GMT
From: myoung@farad.elee.calpoly.edu (May T. Young)
Subject: Re: Dune ending?

Paul Birch <birch@.sybase.com> wrote:
>I also wondered whether Frank Herbert intended another book to explain
>the ending and to detail what happened to the escapee's???
>
>Anybody have any other thoughts?

*Did* Herbert write any notes for a new Dune book before he died? If so, I
would have thought that one of his children (Brian, maybe) would have tried
to publish the material by now.

------------------------------

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 20, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ccs posted:

Hello thread, so I have a book out, Order of the Magi! It’s free to grab this weekend on Amazon. Thread regular Leng was a beta-reader for it and seemed to like it, and I've since tightened it up based on their suggestions, so it should be a brisk and enjoyable read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

This was a fun read! Not super serious, just a fun wizard book, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. Nice job!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

This was a fun read! Not super serious, just a fun wizard book, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. Nice job!

Seconding this. Always good to have more fun wizard books.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kev Janderson

This is not a place of honour.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
so has anybody written ready player one for trump for libs yet? just a constant stream of remember the campaign remember emoluments remember small hands and sean spicer?

how many zeroes can I expect on my advance

also how far in do I have to put my weird vr kinks so the reviewers won't read them

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: people reviewing Mein Kampf, this was one of my favourite ever pieces in The Awl - a really long, thoughtful examination and discussion of all the issues around that, which also just has a fantastic final line:

https://www.theawl.com/2014/08/who-reads-mein-kampf/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I read the first Dune prequel/continuation book when it came out back in the day, and I was genuinally pissed at how bad it was. Just insultingly awful.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So, a KJA "novel"? Are the chapters like one and a half pages long? Are there multiple deus ex machina plot resolutions? Does each successive "novel" contradict everything that has gone before? Are the characters paper thin and inconsistently presented?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

murder

https://www.tor.com/2021/04/19/home-habitat-range-niche-territory-martha-wells/

bot

edit: Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory was originally given free to readers who pre-ordered Martha’s Murderbot novel, Network Effect. The story is set just after the 4th novella, Exit Strategy.

The latest Murderbot book, Fugitive Telemetry, is published next week (4/27/21).

Thanks for this, it's the first time I've ever pre-ordered a book.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bagrada posted:

There was also a 90s book starring a lesbian warrior and it was like Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a ship journey to various islands while they quested for something. But I don't remember the title or author or that it was any good. I think it had two male authors. When I try to picture it Michael Stackpole's unrelated Once a Hero and Dark Glory War series are what come to mind, but I think I just bought those around the same time.

I've occasionally mentioned the Silverglass series from the early 90s, where the heroines (and just about everyone else in the world) are bisexual. I see from Amazon that the authors released a revised version last year, but I don't know how it might differ.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kalman posted:

This was a fun read! Not super serious, just a fun wizard book, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. Nice job!

Thanks so much! If it's not too much to ask, and provided you have a Goodreads account, could you rate it on there? That really helps sell the legitimacy of the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57756245-order-of-the-magi

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A friend of mine recently asked:

"I read every book ever released about WoW, and I also read The Forgotten Realms books about Drizzt, and I'm looking for some good dark high fantasy like that. If you have any suggestions"

so here's my big ol' list, in case anyone else wants recs that might be in this vein. I don't have the :effort: to tidy this up from a discord chat log sorry.

Black Company: a long-running dark fantasy series about a mercenary company that gets tangled up in the affairs of dark wizards. Great stuff.

Coldfire Trilogy: colony ship crashes on a planet where human thought/emotion influences the energies - and can manifest. So it quickly turns into a kind of fantasy setting where magic can happen and if you have a nightmare it comes real. The story follows a priest-warrior and a vampire as they try to find a kidnapped mage, with lots of cool worldbuilding.

Malazan: long epic horror fantasy about a world at war with gods intervening and all kinds of nonsense. I read to book 3 and found it too horror for me, but you might enjoy it.

Banner of Souls: trippy future sci-fi/fantasy about a warrior sent from Mars to protect a young lady.

Ventus: sci-fi/fantasy fusion about an AI fragment let loose on a low-tech world, and the cyborg lady hunting him, and the young man who gets caught up in everything.

Winnowing Flame trilogy by Jen Williams: invading alien bug THINGS infest a world that doesn't know how to fight back, kind of.

Sacred Hunt duology by Michelle West: classic high fantasy

The Bone Ships by RJ Barker, it's fantasy pirates with weird magic and one hell of a cool leading lady

and finally the Dragon Lord, by David Drake. Sword n' sorcery classic set in King Arthur's historical Britain, and it's completely bonkers. I love it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Just finished Strange Bird and thought this was kind of appropriate

I definitely need to take a break from these bleak books for a bit before I attempt Dead Astronauts, so I've started Lord of the Rings and this will be my second read through of the series 20 years after reading it as a teenager

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Just finished up The Galaxy and the Ground Within, the newest Becky Chambers book in the Wayfarers series. Really small and personal book this time around, even moreso than the previous three, and almost completely absent of any human characters.

I enjoyed it quite a bit though I think Record of a Spaceborn Few and Small Angry Planet are probably stronger overall novels. Our link to the original this time is Pei, Ashby's Aeloun girlfriend, which I think makes Ashby the only character who is mentioned by name in all of the books. Lot of really good character work, almost no real stakes beyond the emotional this time around as we don't even get a perfunctory action scene like the other novels have.

Definitely pick it up if you liked the previous ones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

buffalo all day posted:

nothing says "free of racial stereotypes" quite like lord of the rings

At least it wasn't the Conan series. I picked up the collected works on kindle awhile back and while I thought I'd prepared myself for his bad views on race I was wrong :stare:

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4