Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do inventions that reduce the maintenance costs of legions also affect the costs of mercenaries? The wiki wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
As Rome should I be integrating or assimilating? I feel assymilation is the way to go, just way slower.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IMO: Integrate a big culture group or two so you can field an absurd amount of levies against anything in early game then assimilate the rest. Toggle off integration on the two groups once you have enough Romans, and/or have cohorts available.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Probably not a problem for Rome but in general don't assimilate any heavily tribal regions pops early on as it will totally tank your research (and early on getting inventions quickly to unlock buildings is a big deal)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What techs should I be prioritizing first anyway?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you're a monarchy the left side of the Religion tree leads to an unlock for conversion laws which are extremely powerful, you also get temples en route. The Oratory right side unlocks theaters which are also kind of essential, after that you have a bit more flexibility. I like to get foundries next but you can do other things if you want, until you get capped out on building temples and theaters everywhere you don't really need foundries that much.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder how hard it is for a tribe to get out of being a tribe....or do they even want to? I used to play in Ireland a lot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Migratory tribes are actually OP as all hell but playing them efficiently is incredibly tedious (you just drown everyone in light infantry and instantly culture convert territory by settling) and I find it a lot more satisfying to reform and play "normally"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

As Rome should I be integrating or assimilating? I feel assymilation is the way to go, just way slower.

I started a Rome game recently and I’ve been focusing on assimilation except for integrating cultures for traditions and inventions. Rome has the advantage of missions giving it colonies to aid assimilation while being surrounded by same religion pops, so you can start assimilating right off the bat. Otherwise I’d focus on conversion while you integrate the largest groups.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Whats the best way to supress populares faction in the senate? Every game I have noticed that the senate is 50% populare. Does it even matter?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Whats the best way to supress populares faction in the senate? Every game I have noticed that the senate is 50% populare. Does it even matter?

You want to decrease their Senate influence, which means lowering the power base of characters belonging to that faction, or assigning them to be governors and generals instead of regular government officials (which reduces their contribution to Senate influence because they're freezing their asses off in Britannia instead of voting for stuff in the Senate). And then of course there's the historical option of imprisoning or assassinating the key members of the faction to swing the balance of power!

Personally I haven't bothered, the modifiers you get from a faction being in government aren't major. I found it easier just to keep the Populares happy if they were in control, allowing me to use their approval to just do whatever I wanted. Which is also historical! :v:

Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 2, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's also pretty easy to just get rid of your senate and switch to a dictatorship now, you can do it in the first few years if you start as one of the bigger republics (you need to hit 40 territories so it can take quite a bit longer if you start in say Greece and need time to expand to that point). Beeline towards "Demand Line of Succession" with your inventions on day 1, saving a couple since one of the required inventions needs 75% senate approval and another needs high (80 or 90 iirc) popularity which may take a little time to reach. Boost your stability as high as reasonably possible before hitting the Demand invention since it will trigger a civil war the size of which is inversely proportionate to your stab. I did it with around 70 stab as Rome when I was just over 40 territories and the war was very manageable and quickly over.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 3, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sad that Familial Marriage as Egypt doesn't actually let me do incest marriages.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sad that Familial Marriage as Egypt doesn't actually let me do incest marriages.

It doesn't? What does it do, then?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Does anyone know of a way to guestimate another country's income or bank? I have been loving carthage up and theyve been buying mercs left and right. Now I'm wondering when theyre going to run out of cash.

I know in EU4 if youre a great power you can offer to pay off another country's debt, that is an indicator of how well another country is doing financially. Is there anything like that in imperator? This ledge looks kinda dumb.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It doesn't? What does it do, then?

Turns out it does, just not with the first generation of Ptolemy's kids for some reason.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Once I unite the Dahae tribes and get the event to form Parthia and declare war on the Seleukids, assuming I'm able to get enough warscore to really do some damage, what should I be trying to get out of the peace deal? I assume transferring overlordship of Bactria to myself would be the right call, but I have the feeling it's not going to be easy to get them to like me enough to integrate them. I basically want to do the most damage to them as possible, hopefully crippling them before their stability gets a chance to rise back up again. Any good ways of making that happen?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

trapped mouse posted:

Once I unite the Dahae tribes and get the event to form Parthia and declare war on the Seleukids, assuming I'm able to get enough warscore to really do some damage, what should I be trying to get out of the peace deal? I assume transferring overlordship of Bactria to myself would be the right call, but I have the feeling it's not going to be easy to get them to like me enough to integrate them. I basically want to do the most damage to them as possible, hopefully crippling them before their stability gets a chance to rise back up again. Any good ways of making that happen?

The war you get via. event that gives you a bunch of bonuses/them a bunch of penalties has land transfer on occupation, but not with Bactria, so your plan should be to focus on Bactria while defending your own land until you have all their armies off the field, then you can just.. eat the Seleucids in a single war. Take the richest parts of Persia, take a breath for AE, rinse, repeat. It's also important to block Maurya off from the Seleucids otherwise they'll just declare war and take everything.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Beamed posted:

The war you get via. event that gives you a bunch of bonuses/them a bunch of penalties has land transfer on occupation, but not with Bactria, so your plan should be to focus on Bactria while defending your own land until you have all their armies off the field, then you can just.. eat the Seleucids in a single war. Take the richest parts of Persia, take a breath for AE, rinse, repeat. It's also important to block Maurya off from the Seleucids otherwise they'll just declare war and take everything.

oh my god

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you just want to make the Seleucids weak the Mesopotamia region is where most of their strength comes from IIRC

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Byzantion got involved in like a 15 year civil war that completely depopulated it. I tried to conquer them but I wasn't able to, because as soon as I won any siege it would completely uncolonize the territory.

I mean it's less AE but it's just kind of sad you know? :smith:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
is there ANY mechanism for reducing corruption beyond increasing wages on the economy tab?

my ruler had like 70 corruption and it totally wrecked my ability to generate political influence

alternatively, is there any way to orchestrate a replacement of your ruler?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You can impose sanctions, think it might require a tech? But I don't know if you can do it on your ruler...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, getting a corrupt ruler absolutely sucks, it's very important to impose corruption sanctions on anyone who's going to be your heir or win an election, to minimise the total amount of corruption you have on your rulers.

There's also various modifiers which reduce corruption slowly over time.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
There's an Oratory idea that reduces corruption as well. Even if your government type doesn't have an Oratory slot, it can be put in there anyway, usually the government bonus isn't that great especially in emergencies like those.

Also, I recently found out that those modifiers are country wide. So if you increase wages or take that Oratory idea, every character in your country will start to have their corruption tick down. At least, to that character's base corruption level.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Also it took me a while to realize that a lot of character traits impose a minimum corruption level on that character, so you can never fully eliminate it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

trapped mouse posted:

There's an Oratory idea that reduces corruption as well.

Aha! Thank you. I always forget to check those.

It's insane how many little buttons and slots this game has. And just resources and modifiers in general. I'm still really enjoying it (but I'm only playing a few hours a week with friends so that helps).

Like I just realised how powerful some of the military traditions are. I thought they were all just very army-specific "light infantry +10%" stuff, but some of them give you a big boost of pops, or permanent happiness bonuses etc. Very cool.

Jabarto posted:

Also it took me a while to realize that a lot of character traits impose a minimum corruption level on that character, so you can never fully eliminate it.

yeah my ruler has loads of lovely traits unfortunately

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 12, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They could definitely still go further with military traditions but they do at least feel meaningfully different between different cultures now and not just small buffs to units that you mostly don't care about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What traditions and unit comps are recommended? I'm still just using levies in my Etruria game, but in my Egypt game my heavy infantry/heavy cavalry/elephant legion with diadochoi traditions seems to just kind of delete whatever it touches. I figure it's a bit expensive for people that aren't Egypt though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You basically choose 1 or 2 unit types which make sense for your tradition and levy makeup and try to buff them up as much as possible. So HA and HC for steppe nations, elephants for Carthage and Indian states, HI and LI for Italian and Greek states. Legions aren't really a thing until relatively late in the game unless you're starting as a major power and have money to burn, so it's best to go along with whatever fits in with your levies.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
This is a bit of a technical question but I'm not very good at computers so I wanted to ask modders/coders: what would be the best/easiest way to get a PNG file of a nation's coat of arms/flag? Something like this:

I have been looking through the game files and opening the console command and trying to figure it out from there but after a hard crash I worry about wrecking my game copy and needing to reinstall.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Please, if Johan/anyone is reading this thread, please do a massive bugfix before starting on any new content. I started a game as Carthage to test something, along the way I used a mission that Carthage specifically gets to change from an Aristocratic Republic into a Plutocratic Republic. Things were going alright, until I noticed that I was losing Political Influence every month because of a "Disloyal Co-consul". Which was weird because Plutocratic Republics don't have Co-consuls. I decided to ignore it until a character came up to me demanding a position in the government or he riots. I was looking for a place to put him when I realized I couldn't assign him anywhere because, surprise, he was the Co-consol! But because his position didn't technically exist he was going to rebel unless he got a position. But you can't dismiss Co-consuls. And this wasn't some because of some whacky decision I decided to implement, again I got this government change from the mission tree designed for Carthage.

It kind of annoyed me so I decided to vent by playing a Rome game. I annex Syracuse and imprisoned their leaders, but then I got a notice that there was an important character imprisoned abroad, making my stability decrease. I click on it but it just brings me to Rome's blank diplomatic page, because apparently he was imprisoned in my country. Okay, easy fix, I go to prison and release him. My stability is still going down, and it still says he's imprisoned in a foreign country. I go to the characters page and search his name. There are two identical copies of this character, both free from prison and living in Rome. And my stability will keep going down forever until ???

Seriously I'm really liking the bones of this game but god stuff like this can get really get the blood boiling.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The first one doesn’t seem like that big a deal, I ignore those guys asking for offices sometimes, they get mad and maybe make some other guy mad at you too. It’s a minor annoyance but hardly worth getting mad and ditching a run over. The stability thing I can see being a bit more annoying, still not run ending or anything, but maybe it’ll go away when he (they?) dies

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And both are from the character system, which is unfortunately the worst part of this game. It's wrangling a bunch of assholes like in a big CK country but for every single nation, and they're all faceless nobodies who can't do anything interesting but spam with why they're pissed off this week.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And both are from the character system, which is unfortunately the worst part of this game. It's wrangling a bunch of assholes like in a big CK country but for every single nation, and they're all faceless nobodies who can't do anything interesting but spam with why they're pissed off this week.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of enjoy the character system now that I have the right mindset. You're not playing your leader, you're playing your country, but there's a whole bunch of little assholes in there that you have to try and balance so the country doesn't collapse. Including the leader, hell, ESPECIALLY the leader. And they're not all faceless, it was certainly interesting putting a talented commander for my legion who got drunk with power leading to me trying to keep civil war from breaking out for decades because of his power base.

My problems with the game right now are like 80% just the bugs. The other 20% is probably defensive leagues when you aren't playing a large/powerful country.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I do think the character system is a lot better when you play a tribe or a monarchy. Its a huge pain in the rear end for republics though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The fact that most of the events generated via the character system are along the lines of "some jerk is being a shitlord, do you want to make him hate you or do you want to lose PI / stability" is probably one of the reasons why it's not terribly satisfying to engage with

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I probably remember it wrong, but it feels like in EU: Rome characters often acted as small nudges into various directions. They had their dreams or whatever it was called and got bonuses when they fulfilled them. Like your terrible heir might have a dream to lead an army so you give him a command and he raises his martial from 3 to 4 which might be useful later. Or leader of populists wants to attack Egypt so you appease them by doing so. Then that leader gets bonuses from his geopolitical ambition becoming reality, and he becomes council.

I:R characters are much more complex and have a lot of schemes going on for them. But I hoped for something like what I've described, characters being an additional reason to do stuff. You have something like that with war council and in some missions, but still it's hard to care about anyone who is not your king or general.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Bosporan kingdom is such a good starting nation for new players. You start small so it's not overwhelming but you're in a very strong position in a very manageable part of the world.

What's the deal with Holdings? I always just assumed that if a territory was someone's personal holding that it would give reduced income, but that doesn't actually seem to be true, unless I just can't see where the modifier is applied? How come some characters seem to magically gain holdings? Are they buying them? Is it a good idea to give my ruler extra holdings to increase his income for more bribes? I have been revoking holdings from other characters when I can, but is there any point?

What is the limit on "Move pops"? Is it just range based? Is it normal to be doing a lot of bunny hopping of pops from territory to territory to get them where you want them to go?

Am I right that unless a settlement has enough slaves for two trade goods, then it might as well just have one slave and the others would be better off in a city where they can contribute to building slots and convert / assimilate / promote much faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

fuf posted:

Bosporan kingdom is such a good starting nation for new players. You start small so it's not overwhelming but you're in a very strong position in a very manageable part of the world.

What's the deal with Holdings? I always just assumed that if a territory was someone's personal holding that it would give reduced income, but that doesn't actually seem to be true, unless I just can't see where the modifier is applied? How come some characters seem to magically gain holdings? Are they buying them? Is it a good idea to give my ruler extra holdings to increase his income for more bribes? I have been revoking holdings from other characters when I can, but is there any point?

What is the limit on "Move pops"? Is it just range based? Is it normal to be doing a lot of bunny hopping of pops from territory to territory to get them where you want them to go?

Am I right that unless a settlement has enough slaves for two trade goods, then it might as well just have one slave and the others would be better off in a city where they can contribute to building slots and convert / assimilate / promote much faster?

Holdings give power base but it's a pretty small amount so it's not normally a problem, non-ruler characters can scheme to get more holdings (which is where they magically appear from). Giving your ruler a bunch of holdings is indeed a good way to make sure that you have lots of personal cash.

You can move pops to any territory in the same province or to an adjacent territory or to a coastal territory if they're in a province with a port. It's not range based at all. If you want to move long distances inland it takes a lot of clicks.

Yes, goods production is nonlinear so you optimally want to hit the magic breakpoints to get extra goods or otherwise just have no slaves at all. If you want to preserve your sanity I recommend not trying to optimise this too much.