Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Syncopated posted:

Perez says in his interview that the reason PSG, Bayern and Dortmund aren't in is because they weren't asked, not that they refused. Does anyone believe this?

Leaked documents from before the interview already confirmed that not to be true lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you really think perez would do that, just go on a press conference and lie?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/status/1384281458693472261?s=19

here u go friend

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Budzilla posted:

I will say I have no skin in this game but I do find football interesting since it is the world's game. A lot of people would only watch the game once or twice a year at home or in a bar this is the sort 'fan' the clubs' owners are eyeing at. Most people in non-football markets have only heard of a few big name teams like the ones in the Super League and if they can plaster those names all the time for game fixtures then that is a huge win for them.

Legacy might not be the best word but it defines people who deeply care about their game and built an important part of their lives around it. Club owners only care about the money and they are using the brand name as commodity to sell to larger markets. If you have a better adjective, I would use it.

We did just fine with 'fans' and 'plastics' before op

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

We did just fine with 'fans' and 'plastics' before op

To be fair, "fans of the future" is such an awesomely condescending euphemism that I think I like it better

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Maybe Sky are going crazy about this because the pooper league is going to go all NFL Game Pass and cut out the middle man.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Maybe Sky are going crazy about this because the pooper league is going to go all NFL Game Pass and cut out the middle man.

Well yeah, thats pretty much the exact reason

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

everyone involved here is acting out of some form of self-interest with the possible exception of, like, old players

it's ok to be self-interested, we as people who like football but don't actually own any clubs are in fact acting out of our own self-interest if we work to oppose this mess

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/fistedaway/status/1384437896824987649?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
short twitter thread looking at the finances behind this

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1384437404984041473?s=20
https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1384438385557835776?s=20

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CyberPingu posted:

Well yeah, thats pretty much the exact reason

Most people I have seen are more along the 'lol G Nev and friends are going mad now but they'll be commentating on it next year' etc school of thought. But these are the same people who believe all the players will be banned from internationals. Same as the ECB banned England players from going to the IPL.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Most people I have seen are more along the 'lol G Nev and friends are going mad now but they'll be commentating on it next year' etc school of thought. But these are the same people who believe all the players will be banned from internationals. Same as the ECB banned England players from going to the IPL.

Neville has always hated the insane money being thrown around at the cost of the clubs values.

I think the difference is between this and the IPL is that there was a working relationship and plans with the IPL were hashed out with the ECB, as opposed to the IPL just going "Hey we bought these players, gently caress you"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:yeshaha:

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1384437700418281472?s=20

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Double post because SA is hosed today

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peanut- posted:

Disagree. A rich guy splashing money is football ownership tradition. The American finance ghouls and others who just want to maximise the profit machine are who is driving this.
Jack Walker and Blackburn is an example of that, Roman Abramovich is not. A local supporter having a few extra million is worlds away from a billionaire oligarch with global business ties being allowed to obliterate the culture of a club and ushered in this era where more and more clubs are owned by some global magnate or political entity. I grew up in north London in an area where everyone supported Arsenal and the club and it's culture seeped through the entire community. That culture is being slowly destroyed and eroded to create "Arsenal Franchise" who will play home games in Singapore or whatever and are designed to appeal to a nebulous customer from somewhere on the opposite side of the globe. Success will be measured purely on a spreadsheet and the local community that nurtured the club will become utterly irrelevant and will die out. This destruction of the local community happens to every club that gets swept up in the travesty of international ownership. This Superleague is just a symptom of the disease and the inevitable result of global interests being allowed to own and run football clubs and that really started in England with the purchase of Chelsea by Abramovich.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Didnt Abramovich say he literally wanted to buy the PL title when he first came in?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I know Barca are absolutely desperate for cash, but the temptation to be the first ones to back out and look good and leave Florentino Perez holding the bag must be strong.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I remember the Abramovic purchase feeling momentous at the time even though I don’t give a poo poo about the PL, but never would have thought things would get this bad lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

are these clubs even able to back out without taking a huge bath? i'm sure the ESL spiderweb of shell companies will have plenty of lawyers ready to go

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Fans aren't going to unite and stop this. The ingrained hatreds and rivalries are too much.

Fans will blame someone else probably not associated with their own club (Perez, Abramovic, Glazer etc) and the parochial bullshit will win.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

pointsofdata posted:

are these clubs even able to back out without taking a huge bath? i'm sure the ESL spiderweb of shell companies will have plenty of lawyers ready to go

There is no going back. This has been planned for awhile, I'm sure these clubs and ESL have contingency plans in place to deal with negative fallout.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

what's the ESL playoff final going to be called? Super Ball?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

In the American tradition of stupid and nonsensical naming it will be called the Super Frisbee. They stole our bowl so we'll have their frisbee.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
10 a side decabol.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

biglads posted:

Fans aren't going to unite and stop this. The ingrained hatreds and rivalries are too much.

Fans will blame someone else probably not associated with their own club (Perez, Abramovic, Glazer etc) and the parochial bullshit will win.

Fans can do gently caress all. The governing bodies need to stop this.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Syncopated posted:

Perez says in his interview that the reason PSG, Bayern and Dortmund aren't in is because they weren't asked, not that they refused. Does anyone believe this?

I for one certainly believe that they didn't invite the largest club from the richest and most populous country in Europe

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

biglads posted:

So far, this hasn't been the case. Most fans of these clubs seem to be laying it at their own owners doors.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

CyberPingu posted:

Exactly, fans have zero power to stop this when the global interests that own the clubs can sell the TV rights (or get injected by hedge funds) for billions upon billions of dollars. You could have nobody turning up to games and it would make commercial sense for the owners to fill the stadium with ringers and cardboard cutouts. Or just move a bunch of games abroad. Don't get caught up in thinking local supporters have any agency or are in any way to blame for this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

Super Cup!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CyberPingu posted:

I think I said on page 2 or 3 that this was only great for lawyers.....

If UEFA go through with their threat to kick these teams out of the CL it ends in a welter of court cases, the games get played 'under protest' and in September 2028 the Court of Arbitration for Sport lets us know that the 2020-21 Champions League was actually won by Hajduk Split.

It's sadly going to come down to who has the deepest pockets to fund the legal shenanigans.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

err posted:

There is no going back. This has been planned for awhile, I'm sure these clubs and ESL have contingency plans in place to deal with negative fallout.

There's always going back.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

peanut- posted:

I know Barca are absolutely desperate for cash, but the temptation to be the first ones to back out and look good and leave Florentino Perez holding the bag must be strong.

It's not the Spanish clubs, the reaction is much less vitriolic there as I've indicated. If you know spanish just go through twitter and you'll see. If anyone's getting cold feet it's the Prem teams since even the gov and the gov opposition says they will gently caress em, which I doubt they predicted.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flayer posted:

Exactly, fans have zero power to stop this when the global interests that own the clubs can sell the TV rights (or get injected by hedge funds) for billions upon billions of dollars. You could have nobody turning up to games and it would make commercial sense for the owners to fill the stadium with ringers and cardboard cutouts. Or just move a bunch of games abroad. Don't get caught up in thinking local supporters have any agency or are in any way to blame for this.

Last year has shown that fanless stadiums work.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

Copa de la Superliga

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Algol Star posted:

Copa de la Superliga
The winner gets the Florentino Perez Trophy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1384437712393064451
lol :discourse:

(In 18/19 Wolves came 7th, behind the ESL 6)

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

If Barca backs out the thing is dead. This would be hilarity of the highest form, surpassing this entire shebang.

But again, the clubs in this league are not there because they are good, but because they are in debt - they are the ones who win by buying players instead of developing them, and I don't think they have a plan to do anything else.

So it looks like this will continue. It's viable because big name clubs are there, and international fans care mostly about Spain and England. What do the 150 million people in Europe, who don't watch this, matter, if you get like 200 million Americans and x million Chinese fans?

English fans will watch it - they let their PL teams get sold out to oligarchs and billionaires, so you can't expect them to suddenly start caring about Football. It's really telling that half the clubs are English anyway - the country which created the game is also now killing it.

Either something happens in Spain and the thing dies, or PSG joins eventually and everything else dies.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

If Barca backs out the thing is dead. This would be hilarity of the highest form, surpassing this entire shebang.

But again, the clubs in this league are not there because they are good, but because they are in debt - they are the ones who win by buying players instead of developing them, and I don't think they have a plan to do anything else.

So it looks like this will continue. It's viable because big name clubs are there, and international fans care mostly about Spain and England. What do the 150 million people in Europe, who don't watch this, matter, if you get like 200 million Americans and x million Chinese fans?

English fans will watch it - they let their PL teams get sold out to oligarchs and billionaires, so you can't expect them to suddenly start caring about Football. It's really telling that half the clubs are English anyway - the country which created the game is also now killing it.

Either something happens in Spain and the thing dies, or PSG joins eventually and everything else dies.

Barca cannot afford to back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAJVzkhGLio

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Some fuckin broad strokes you're painting with their chief not all the fans just laid down and shrugged when the likes of the Glazers came in, there was just gently caress all we could actually do about it besides protest.

As for "English" not a single one of the ownerships bar Spurs are based in or are from England.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 20, 2021

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Bundy posted:

Some fuckin broad strokes you're painting with their chief not all the fans just laid down and shrugged when the likes of the Glazers came in, there was just gently caress all we could actually do about it besides protest.

no I get that it's a systemic issue, obviously. I'm still gonna be mad at England tho, in broad strokes. Unfair as that may be. Germany doesn't do that bullshit, and Bayern still makes money. Heck, they even have decent players without being 1.2 billion in debt lmao.

Edit: English, UK, Britain whatever. You know what I mean. Same country-ish.

I wanna be mad at someone okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

gently caress off dipshit. We didn't let this happen.