Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
From an old fashioned globe at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a hefty amount of branching and drifting after protestantism got going, and it makes about as much sense to treat all the current sects as a monolithic entity as it does to treat the catholic church as basically the same thing as Russian orthodox or the nestorians.

And I get that mormons are weird, but it seems arbitrary for people to try treating it as something outside of christianity because there's plenty other weird sects.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Tengrism is even more of an umbrella term than Hinduism!
:goonsay: :blastu:
It's just a term for any religious tradition with a sky god with some variation of "Teng" as his name. It ranges from polytheistic pantheons, to shamanistic pantheism, to borderline monotheism with a semiofficial priestly bureaucracy.

Daoism refers to god as Heaven (Tian)

Daoism is a form of tengrism.

Under CK2 rules I think its actually the main branch now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

escapegoat posted:

From an old fashioned globe at work.

Come to Braſil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

Come to Braſil

Too busy exploring reports of More German cum off Eupopa

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Here be german cum in yar mouth

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Looks like Denmark got replaced by German cum. Pretty accurate. But also the thing about maps from that era being less bothered about geography and more about relations between polities.

I also think that there is a major difference between changing interpretations of existing texts and introducing new texts in a canonical religion, like Mormonism. At least from an external perspective like the People of the Book part of Islam.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Biblical canon is very interesting. The Jewish canon was basically already set by the second century BCE, and you have this famous (obviously ahistorical) story of how the Septuagint was perfectly translated into Greek from Hebrew by seventy Jewish scribes independently of each another, and so on.

There’s nothing really novel about inclusion of the Deuterocanon, Christians had been treating those books (which include the story of the Maccabees and so on) as scripture before there was an established Christian Bible, but the Jews never had, and this was part of Luther’s justification for why they should be removed. They were also, ostensibly, never agreed to as canon by a meeting of the whole church.

The reason the books weren’t in the Jewish canon isn’t because they weren’t seen as true or good, they just didn’t really have a lot to do with God directly. (neither did, say, Esther or Ecclesiastes, but those books were in the Septuagint, and they were a lot older.) The famous Hanukkah story about the oil that lasted many days is a later folk invention, to justify celebrating religiously what is basically a purely political Jewish independence day in the absence of a Jewish state, and is not in the written history of the Maccabees that's in the Deuterocanon.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Saladman posted:

Strange labeling sometimes comes on EU flights too. I flew from Switzerland to the Cuba a few years ago on Swiss's "vacation destination" subsidiary, Edelweiss, and the entire time over the Atlantic, the flight would point out the locations of famous transportation accidents where thousands of people died in horrific settings. "Great, we're above the Lusitania now... now we're above the Titanic... now we're passing by the SS Mont Blanc...". Really the kind of thing you want to emphasize on a flight.

Found a photo I took of part of it, loving lol at highlighting those on a flight. Also some random cities highlighted, like Guysborough: population 922.

Whatever map software Air Canada uses highlights undersea features, which obviously is a lot of the screentime on a transatlantic flight. By FAR the most prominently displayed thing for like, 80% of a flight from Toronto to London is the GREAT METEOR SEAMOUNT, which I've never heard of except on an airplane map.

e: maybe it's KLM, but all those flights for me were Edmonton-Amsterdam which would go much further north.

e2: apparently the same hotspot that made the Meteor seamount also made the hills of Montreal. Neat!

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 18, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tag yourself, I'm the Byelorussian with the blonde disco perm dye and the suggestive eyebrows

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm Ethno-Administrative Unit

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’m Jew

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

disjoe posted:

I’m Jew

Gesundheit

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm Amu Darya and I'm dead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol it reads like a D&D players handbook

Estonian: +2 CHA -2 STR, gain 4 ranks in the skill “Knowledge: Decadent West”

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm Crimea

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

business in the front party in the back
buddhist in the east, shamanist in the west

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol it reads like a D&D players handbook

Estonian: +2 CHA -2 STR, gain 4 ranks in the skill “Knowledge: Decadent West”

Back in the days of the USSRRussian Empire all other peoples who weren't Russian, Ukrainian or White Russian were basically NPCs with limited character interaction options though.

code:
You encounter a lovely Latvian farming family on your way to your father's estates! Because it seems like the weather will be bad and dusk is setting in, they offer to take you in for the night. What do you and your party do?
- Eat every god drat thing they have, rape their daughters and set the farm on fire
- Eat every god drat thing they have, rape the father and set the farm on fire, then blame it on the Tatars
- Eat every god drat thing they have, set everyone on fire and proclaim the town's village idiot a boyar
- Offer them one (1) potato if they engage in sexual intercourse with their farm animals, then cruelly ride away, laughing (they receive no potato)

REMEMBER! Your choices matter

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Where is Viktor Tsoj in here...

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1tgDIQXgs

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For no special reason

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Airf Orce

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao thats wonderful

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao thats wonderful
I didn’t even expect it to open again, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you squint it could maybe be a map.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jippa posted:

If you squint it could maybe be a map.

Maybe. Or perhaps the funny graphs thread is better suited for this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Maed posted:

Gesundheit

*Zay gesundt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have so many questions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's pretty simple, Italy is the largest landmass in the world, followed by Japan, and then Hawaii.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I want to believe all the landmasses are still the actual size and it looks weird because of wonky perspective

how europe ended up as the crotch of the robot while africa is the chest, i have no idea though

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Golbez posted:

I have so many questions.
I'm sure they are all answered in the Laser Scrolls

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Tag yourself. I'm Crotch Europe.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

Tag yourself. I'm Crotch Europe.

I'm definitely rear end china

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm the Antarctica face mask.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Europe is a dick. A good map.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Optimus Prime has met his match: Mercator Prime!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I'm the layered magenta lines indicating solid or molten metal core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Australia being the fist does seem appropriate.