Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

lentils

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I made this recipe last night except instead of bothering to grate a garlic clove I added an entire head’s worth of whole cloves and basically I just don’t understand why italian-ish recipes that are roasted just don’t say “throw in a bunch of whole garlic, it’s the loving best”

Like why would I do extra prep work in order to NOT have whole roasted garlic, idk

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

You're obviously not using enough zest.

I like zest.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hawkperson posted:

I made this recipe last night except instead of bothering to grate a garlic clove I added an entire head’s worth of whole cloves and basically I just don’t understand why italian-ish recipes that are roasted just don’t say “throw in a bunch of whole garlic, it’s the loving best”

Like why would I do extra prep work in order to NOT have whole roasted garlic, idk
If I do that I end up eating all the garlic out of the dish before I serve it. Just stand over it like a hungry rat pecking cloves of garlic out with my hands. And don't you tell me I'm the weird one for doing it. You do it too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I like zest.
lemon zest on salmon is :discourse:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Their immortal vampire overlords look unfavorably on the liberal use of garlic.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What I thought were two boxes of angel hair turned out to be two boxes of spaghetti and I have never been so disappointed at a box of uncooked pasta.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chuck it into a lathe :)

For some reason now I want to insert angel hair into bucatini. Would that make me a Tik Tok chef?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Chuck it into a lathe :)

For some reason now I want to insert angel hair into bucatini. Would that make me a Tik Tok chef?

You don't fill the bucatini, just use the angel hair as joiner pieces to make one very long bucatini strand.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I see the charcuterie thread is gone.

I buy guanciale from a local butcher and I use it to make pasta alla gricia. When I get it it's like firm bacon and it works great.

Today my vegetarian partner went to the same place to get me some and whilst they gave her what is clearly pork cheek with the same seasonings it is not firm, it's like fresh meat. Does this sound like it was not dried properly and if so, will I notice significant differences in how it cooks?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

pasta alla catetere

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ben Nevis posted:

You don't fill the bucatini, just use the angel hair as joiner pieces to make one very long bucatini strand.

:hmmyes:

SubG posted:

pasta alla catetere

:hmmno:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Give me your best spam musubi recipe I’m doing a Hawaiian food cookoff and this is one of the dishes.

There’s so many permutations- dressed sushi rice or plain rice? Furikake? What glaze? Etc etc

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
White calrose rice cooked slightly damper than normal (it dries out in the musubi), good nori (that means thick sheets and good roast flavor), griddled spam sliced to about 1/8 can thickness, and a brush if your favorite teriyaki sauce. This is the way.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its fermentation week at the house of Guildenstern. Got a ginger bug going, finally getting around to making kimchi, and a poolish sitting out for the night, which I don't think is technically fermentation but its got farty yeast so I'm going to count it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Why do you think it's not technically fermentation?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I suppose it is, but I just associate that word with a funky smell

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I suppose it is, but I just associate that word with a funky smell
Well, it's both technically fermentation and fermentation by common usage. As in, in baking when you let the dough rise before shaping it's primary fermentation, after shaping final fermentation, and in a biga or poolish pre-fermentation.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you let the poolish go long enough you'll get a funky smell :v:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

so does that mean bread is technically beer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Force de Fappe posted:

As a baker™, adding two-day old dough to the mix and smelling alcohol at the bottom of the bin was not an uncommon occurrence.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Force de Fappe posted:

No, beer is technically bread. So you can make a sandwich with it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Apparently the beer that ancient Egypt gave to its workers was very thick and more like a liquid bread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
While working I've often thought it would be pretty cool if there was a combination bakery/microbrewery called Staff of Life.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There was an ad in the local free paper in Eugene, OR that I'll never forget and now all of you get to know about it too. It read something like this, only the first line is seared in my memory forever the rest is paraphrase:

Knead your candida!
All natural bakery and homebrew
Looking for donations

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

Specifically poor man's ale. Until fairly late, in mediaeval England everybody's diet was mostly grain. For the poorest this meant mostly pottage. A slightly wealthier family might consume most of their grain as pottage with a small portion consumed as bread, assuming they were on a manor with a miller and/or bakehouse. Those of higher social status (and increasingly large portions of the population later) would also consume a portion of their grain as ale.

There is a wealth of documentary evidence (mostly in the form of legal documents) through which the economic fortunes of different regions can be traced in terms of how much and what type of various grains people of different social strata were consuming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Made some baby back ribs in the oven today. Gotta do it more often.

They started falling apart when I tried flipping them over to get some more char on the other side so I called it good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That photo brings me back to looking at photos from a game camera set up on a carcass or gut pile

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Casu Marzu posted:

That photo brings me back to looking at photos from a game camera set up on a carcass or gut pile

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

In Diablo 2 you'd click on it and some bones would get tossed up and then fall to the side.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

In Diablo 2 you'd click on it and some bones would get tossed up and then fall to the side.

:black101:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I was sure the little added text blurb was going to be the 'with this character's death the threads of prophecy are severed'

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend has never had wagyu so I was thinking about ordering an A5 ribeye so she could experience it. What would be the ideal way to prepare it? Just searing it off as a whole ribeye seems unexciting. I’ve seen videos where they cut it into smaller pieces and sear those on all sides. Is that the way to go? Just S&P? Salt and togarashi? Soy sauce while searing? If I do this I’d rather not gently caress it up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i haven't had it seared on all sides but that seems an interesting way to go. imo the texture is the important part so a good sear with salt and pepper would be how i'd go about it personally. i like beef to taste like beef tho.

maybe serve it with something sharp though on the side to cut through the fattiness.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

mediaphage posted:

i haven't had it seared on all sides but that seems an interesting way to go.

I dunno I think I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend has never had wagyu so I was thinking about ordering an A5 ribeye so she could experience it. What would be the ideal way to prepare it? Just searing it off as a whole ribeye seems unexciting. I’ve seen videos where they cut it into smaller pieces and sear those on all sides. Is that the way to go? Just S&P? Salt and togarashi? Soy sauce while searing? If I do this I’d rather not gently caress it up.

The fancy teppanyaki style stuff is a pretty good way to serve wagyu.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxiYbLw55cE

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had it at a restaurant once just seared top and bottom. I just had some salt and pepper on it. I’ve seen soy sauce and wasabi, but I’d keep it simple.

A little goes a long way. I had like 4oz and I didn’t need any more.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wow. Ramen birria. Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can someone who knows what they're talking about make an effortpost thread for pretty cakes? I'm starting to dabble and want to see baker goons talk shop and post pictures of their gorgeous decorated cakes. There is an ancient thread from like 2008 but most of the images were on waffleimages