Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kim Justice posted:

I don't see why some of you are being so lovely to DoctorWhat. Like, his position is a bit extreme but there are certainly aspects of it that I agree with, it's resulted in some quite decent discussion over the past few pages and he hasn't really been much of a dick about it.

Hell even disagreeing with it is fine and cool but a few replies are just calling him stupid for believing something other people don't and literally going out of his way to say he doesn't also think it's mandatory for everyone to do things his way. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're a monster, doctorwhat. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are we talking about again?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Calling it revisionism is still stupid tho is the point people were making. Like it's not revisionism to air the show in an order that wasn't how you first watched it, you weirdo.

It's like saying not repeating the saiyin saga 300 times is goku revisionism.

AT MOST you could say "Well it originally didn't air in the narrative order and that would obviously effect how easily you could follow the story and now they're in order", which isn't revisionism trying to change critique or anything.

Seeing Goku appear and beat up Burter and Jeice before flipping back to Raditz is an integral part of the viewing experience which ramps up tension for the inevitable fight with Captain Ginyu. It shows you how far he's come, and reminds you of how far there is still to go.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

I don't see why some of you are being so lovely to DoctorWhat. Like, his position is a bit extreme but there are certainly aspects of it that I agree with, it's resulted in some quite decent discussion over the past few pages and he hasn't really been much of a dick about it.

Immediately dropping the term 'revisionism' when people simply said that broadcast order wasn't a good way to watch a show, if nothing else, displays a pretty blunt lack of loving tact. That said, at this point, I'm treating it like a fun version of Bottles. You know, where the 'artistic hubris' spills magnificently and even has valid points, while also admitting, unlike ol Bottles, that they realize how batshit several of their complaints are, it's honestly refreshing.

Still gonna stick with the possession line though, the demons didn't make Bottles turn into Elon Musk and the Submariner Rescue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Okay, are you all talking in code right now? Is this a thread-wide stroke?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Call the Bondulance

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Whether or not you agree with the point, it's obvious from context that DoctorWhat means 'revisionist' literally, as in you're replacing the historical object with a more modern one. And not, y'know, calling you all Trotskyist dogs.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This argument is more inane than subs Vs dubs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well, that's exactly what a revisionist Trotskyite counter-revolutionary moderator would say on the subject of TV cartoon viewing orders.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

DoctorWhat posted:

If you see art as being a question of creator intent, your argument makes perfect sense.

I disagree with that premise; I believe art is observed. Authorial intent does not factor into my rationale.

Bloodborne is experienced by players as a game that marries high-speed, visceral action, cosmic horror, and long load times and an inconsistent framerate.

Shadow of the Colossus is a game where the grainy textures, low rendering resolution, and limited draw distance creates a world where the tragic dignity of the colossi is obscured until you're already delivering a fatal blow.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a game where you had to manipulate your system clock before starting a new game or be screwed out of content forever.

All of these are experiences of art; they are intrinsic to the work. It is tragic to see these experiences lost to obscurity, remakes, and patches.

i notice too, that more recent remakes/remasters tend to str8 up butcher a lot of the original's lighting/post-processing because they're no longer bound by inferior hardware. in particular, "fixing" the fog thats was probably used to obscure bad LODs/performance ends up significantly impacting the atmosphere and feel of the game. a good compromise for me would be if they were to ship an emulatable copy of the game alongside it.

also ps5 demon souls looks like WoW, you really would be better served playing the original instead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

josh04 posted:

It's not a slur on gaming enthusiasts that they don't sufficiently care, it's a criticism of the industry that is, among other things, actively trying to remove resources like the ones you listed. All I want to say is that a remake is not an equivalent substitute for the original, but the industry likes to present it as being so when producing them.

There's marketing reasons behind pushing a game as a "new, improved version" and discarding the old one nobody buys anymore. These are both issues across entertainment mediums, like all the dumb marketing around the disquieting CGI The Lion King remake going "look at how far animation has come!" as if the realistically rendered fur was what was holding The Lion King back from true perfection this whole time. But like you said, it's an industry-level ill.

Trying to replicate a specific "watch order" for a show feels like a separate issue though, like one of those thought experiments about the "optimal watch order" for all the Star Wars movie. Like yeah, if you've got an old show that managed to have a full DVD bundled release, then marathon watching it on your nice widescreen isn't going to be the same experience as watching it as it came out in the 90s. It's not possible to perfectly reconstruct that context. A more apt video game metaphor would be like hunting down a functioning CRT TV, SNES + cartridges, and a musty wood-paneled basement to sit on the floor of because you never got to play Super Mario World the "original way".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There is lots of interesting chat about how CRTs interact with retro games in a unique way though, that's now in vogue after years of people looking for the crispest pixel art. I don't think we're disagreeing necessarily, there's just not one 'proper' way to approach experiencing retro media.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

BrianWilly posted:

If (Game == Art)
Print Derail.txt
Else
Return to Starwars Chat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assume most people interested have seen it but HBomberguy and Shannon Strucci did a video about how the aesthetics of VHS were (and are) important and have a different impact to modern, high definition footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
It's hard to really explain why but Spyro: Reignited is the only good remaster that isn't just the original game in a more convenient package.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

It's hard to really explain why but Spyro: Reignited is the only good remaster that isn't just the original game in a more convenient package.

SaGa Frontier Remastered just came out, and it's both the original game in a more convenient package AND a shitton of new content that incorporates a bunch of side material into the main game. It's good as poo poo and I kinda hope it sets the standard, even though I absolutely know better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

SaGa Frontier Remastered just came out, and it's both the original game in a more convenient package AND a shitton of new content that incorporates a bunch of side material into the main game. It's good as poo poo and I kinda hope it sets the standard, even though I absolutely know better.

I was just about to post basically this same thing

Not every day the original creator of a game gets to go back and finish it 24 years later.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
none of my questions about the role of the author got answered so frankly, im going to rampage wildly now

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Crash 1-3 remake I always just missed jumps, and could never seem to learn the correct timing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fun hater posted:

none of my questions about the role of the author got answered so frankly, im going to rampage wildly now

"authors" are a myth invented by Big Literary Canon

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Harrow posted:

I was just about to post basically this same thing

Not every day the original creator of a game gets to go back and finish it 24 years later.

Yea it rules and also for people that want an experience more in line with the original release they can turn off all the new stuff too. I wouldn't wanna do that at all but hey it's great for those that do want that option.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

bobjr posted:

The Crash 1-3 remake I always just missed jumps, and could never seem to learn the correct timing.
It's because they make the physics of the game relative to positioning rather than fixed. Not sure why they did this, made all the bridge levels all unnecessarily hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's because they make the physics of the game relative to positioning rather than fixed. Not sure why they did this, made all the bridge levels all unnecessarily hard.

As I understand it, aren't the physics for all three games based off Crash 2 or 3's, so the other games are hosed in places that were built for the peculiarities of their own original physics engines?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

yeah. like i kick all sorts of rear end in spyro but i can't do crash games. i suck alot at them and i tend to be good at timing and poo poo. i know its me and not the game, so its just my issue.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am going to cum unbelievably hard inside of inugami korone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cum posted:

Good luck, gamer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I read about that. I have a fondness for those first games, so some wonky physics making things unnecessarily hard is a huge bummer (the games are tough enough as it is). I get a kick out of the visceral reaction Giantbomb has to those games. Like running towards the camera is the worst thing in the history of video games and somehow these games are trash because Mario 64 exists.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah i wasn't using "revisionism" to evoke Stalin's photoshopping efforts I meant it, like, literally.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Big talk coming from someone who has multiple edited posts in this very thread!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So you're saying that my posts are art?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

So you're saying that my posts are art?

Only if they have an easy mode

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I find easy modes for my posts take a huge amount of development work, but I'm open to adding accessibility features like slowdown and mapping options.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

cum posted:

You’re gonna have to buy her 18,000 fridges first

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah this. Honestly, it's refreshing to see a unique take and have a discussion over it instead of arguing over the same dumb bullshit we always do. Plus its not like his position is harmful or bigoted in anyway

SkeletonHero posted:

The funny thing is Spyro Reignited is exactly what I think of when I think of bad remakes. I got it for Christmas last year and enjoyed my time with it but I hate how radically different the art style is. The characters and the world itself look way different stylistically from the originals. Maybe it's because I've replayed the OT Spyro trilogy again and again throughout my life so I'm used to that look but normally I love graphical updates of old games. I think the new CoD Modern Warfare Remasters pretty much can replace the ogs because they're pretty loyal to the source material for the most part (except Nikolai looks way different now for some reason but besides that lol)

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Picross 3D round 2 is art but that's about it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The beauty of Picross is that it's a whole game about making the process of discovering and understanding art/sculpture into something extrinsically satisfying as well as intrinsically.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SkeletonHero posted:

The Shadow Man remaster that just came out is fantastic, not only is the game dolled up a bit with HD textures and more modern system support, Nightdive also restored 3 whole levels that were lost/cut from the original, restored uncensored more gory and nasty enemy models and stuff that got cut from the originals, added two cut/unfinished weapons back into the game fixed up, reimplemented unused dialogue and little character bits in the spots it should've been, just incredibly high quality work for a cool weird cult classic.

Also extremely cool VA Redd Pepper made a youtube channel, with a couple of his first videos thanking fans and stuff for keeping Shadow Man and his role as Michael/Shadow Man alive.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Jamie Faith posted:

The funny thing is Spyro Reignited is exactly what I think of when I think of bad remakes. I got it for Christmas last year and enjoyed my time with it but I hate how radically different the art style is. The characters and the world itself look way different stylistically from the originals. Maybe it's because I've replayed the OT Spyro trilogy again and again throughout my life so I'm used to that look but normally I love graphical updates of old games. I think the new CoD Modern Warfare Remasters pretty much can replace the ogs because they're pretty loyal to the source material for the most part (except Nikolai looks way different now for some reason but besides that lol)

Yardbomb posted:

The Shadow Man remaster that just came out is fantastic, not only is the game dolled up a bit with HD textures and more modern system support, Nightdive also restored 3 whole levels that were lost/cut from the original, restored uncensored more gory and nasty enemy models and stuff that got cut from the originals, added two cut/unfinished weapons back into the game fixed up, reimplemented unused dialogue and little character bits in the spots it should've been, just incredibly high quality work for a cool weird cult classic.

Heh, you have all fallen for my trap and recommended other good remasters. Too easy. Dance, puppets, dance.