Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was planning on grabbing one of those pro-mods with the roasted maple neck but I've got enough super strats to keep me occupied for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

muike posted:

I was planning on grabbing one of those pro-mods with the roasted maple neck but I've got enough super strats to keep me occupied for a while.

Get a super Tele.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nitsuga posted:

Get a super Tele.

If you make it super is it even a Tele anymore? besides, my Tele is "super" enough to me!!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

muike posted:

If you make it super is it even a Tele anymore? besides, my Tele is "super" enough to me!!

That’s a question for the ages. I love me a tummy cut, but I ought to join the Tele party one way or another one of these days.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What about PAFs but Tele-style baseplates upsized for humbuckers. Anyone make that? That might be a dumb thought I had.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you want big baseplates, check out Charlie Christian style pickups. You gotta route out as much as a trem cavity to mount one of those motherfuckers.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What about PAFs but Tele-style baseplates upsized for humbuckers. Anyone make that? That might be a dumb thought I had.

So just a thicker baseplate than they already have?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

So just a thicker baseplate than they already have?

Isn't part of the mojo that it's zinc or copper-plated steel? PAF baseplate is usually a nickel type deal.

muike posted:

If you want big baseplates, check out Charlie Christian style pickups. You gotta route out as much as a trem cavity to mount one of those motherfuckers.

Hell yeah! Forgot about that. I want this custom Tele that Vanessa Wheeler has with three CC pickups in it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDkz_HqDL7U/

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 17, 2021

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Life's about greasing the 'do back, buddy, and wheezin' on the buff-fest
So I bought a Duesy..

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I approve. My Gretsch lust rages now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ordered some 64Audio a2e IEMs. This'll be my first pair of custom molded IEMs, excited to see how different they are compared to my old Shure 215s.

They also match my main bass perfectly :allears:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Scarf posted:

Ordered some 64Audio a2e IEMs. This'll be my first pair of custom molded IEMs, excited to see how different they are compared to my old Shure 215s.

Custom molded meaning you had a form made from your ears, right?

I'm imagining your AV playing this bass with these monitors, but with a color-coordinated sweatband.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I feel like your bass cabinet, cumberbund, pick, strap and shoes all have to match your bass .. and your playing in a prince cover band.

It's not a color I would personally buy but it's beautiful, maybe on a gretsch or a drum set.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scarf posted:

Nice coordination, that's a lovely shade of purple

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

petit choux posted:

Custom molded meaning you had a form made from your ears, right?

I'm imagining your AV playing this bass with these monitors, but with a color-coordinated sweatband.

Yup! Went to an audiologist and they pump pink play-dough into your ears, then you send the molds to the company that makes the IEMs.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice coordination, that's a lovely shade of purple

Thanks, and agreed!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Pauly Shore posted:

So I bought a Duesy..

WOW. I also approve of the purple Lakland.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A bit humble compared to some other stuff, but hey whatever!

Freshly-unpacked Squier CVC 60's Tele. There are many like it, but this one is mine. For the longest time I was on the fence between this one and the 50s one... thankfully stock situations have usually meant that each time I decided to buy one, they were out of stock. Until now, there's apparently plenty to go around at the moment.

Huge improvement so far over the years-old Epiphone LP Special II that I started out with. Setup seems fine as far as I can tell out of the box, but I'm also an eternal guitar beginner, so :shrug:. As long as the intonation is good, I'm fine. Compared to the Special II it's been a dream to play so far, feels really smooth to me.

A friend thought swapping out the pickguard (which I've already scratched good trying to get the goop from the stupid Fender Play sticker off) for a white pearloid one would really make it pop... any thoughts? And any recommendations on which one to pick up that'll match a CVC?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drone posted:

A bit humble compared to some other stuff, but hey whatever!

Freshly-unpacked Squier CVC 60's Tele. There are many like it, but this one is mine. For the longest time I was on the fence between this one and the 50s one... thankfully stock situations have usually meant that each time I decided to buy one, they were out of stock. Until now, there's apparently plenty to go around at the moment.

Huge improvement so far over the years-old Epiphone LP Special II that I started out with. Setup seems fine as far as I can tell out of the box, but I'm also an eternal guitar beginner, so :shrug:. As long as the intonation is good, I'm fine. Compared to the Special II it's been a dream to play so far, feels really smooth to me.

A friend thought swapping out the pickguard (which I've already scratched good trying to get the goop from the stupid Fender Play sticker off) for a white pearloid one would really make it pop... any thoughts? And any recommendations on which one to pick up that'll match a CVC?

Hell yeah! I have the 60's CVC tele too and it's a goddamn fantastic guitar

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Drone posted:

A friend thought swapping out the pickguard (which I've already scratched good trying to get the goop from the stupid Fender Play sticker off) for a white pearloid one would really make it pop... any thoughts?
Did the pickguard not have a protective film on it? :rip:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Siivola posted:

Did the pickguard not have a protective film on it? :rip:

Oh maybe that's what I scratched the poo poo out of. No clue.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Every new guitar I buy I think "Oh man I can't believe I already scratched up this pickguard" and then discover it's covered in cling film. There are often two layers, and the second layer is much harder to peel off than the first.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Scratched pickguard is GOOD. Now it's RELIC'd!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Another happy CVC owner here, have fun! The previous owner put a black pickguard on and it's slick as hell

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 22, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Another happy CVC owner here, have fun! The previous owner put a black pickguard on and it's slick as hell

Black is what I was going to suggest. The one I had came with a black pick guard too, maybe it's even yours.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

Scratched pickguard is GOOD. Now it's RELIC'd!

This but unironically.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Black was my first choice too. Might get cheap versions of both that and the pearl just to compare.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

nitsuga posted:

Black is what I was going to suggest. The one I had came with a black pick guard too, maybe it's even yours.

It's had two owners besides me since 2018. Kind of an oddball, Filtertron in the neck, brass sadles, amp knobs and a proper square input jack. Picked it up on Reverb from a shop in Spokane, but it was sold once in New Jersey (I think) before that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Goddammit I like black/sunburst telecasters with a binding. Personally I like the white pick guard on sunburst, white pearl might be nice too. I don't really like black guards on sunburst personally.

I just got my vintage modified tele thin line in December but now I also want a bone standard tele, either blonde or sunburst. Was watching prince and the video of his first live performance of purple rain they later used as the album/movie version and the was playing his honer telecaster and holy poo poo he makes that thing scream.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I kept the stock mint green pickguard on my CVC tele and I love the way it looks

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Comedy option: Checkerboard.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
baby’s first dobro. gotta love an auction.

Played five different ones in the lot before the auction went live, hands down the best sounding one. Went for more than I wanted, but less than market value. Great condition, sounds fantastic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

drat, nice score. The case looks like it belonged to a Swiss hippy, any more stickers?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Siivola posted:

drat, nice score. The case looks like it belonged to a Swiss hippy, any more stickers?

Never saw the case when I tried it out, all the guitars were on stands in a big show room pre-auction. I'll snap a photo if there are any more, hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

Also, because I'm a sucker for vintage graphic design, picked these up for :10bux:. At least a couple should make some good studio wall art.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Welp, got some kind of wild hare in me. Always have to be mindful of my own gas...but:

Ordered:

Played for maybe 8 years and am determined to do so again

Brubaker JXB-5 in wonderful lake placid blue.

And just about to order... ordered:

Yikes.

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 24, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Nice, I recommend Paul Deville's Universal Method for sax to build up some chops

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Pauly Shore posted:

So I bought a Duesy..

Hey! I've got a Duesenberg star player too! I got the Mike Campbell one (shelby paint job). Theyre so good. I have been trying to source an extra pick guard forever though and havent found any luck.

Also my second guitar was an ESP LTD...it got stolen when I got black out drunk after a gig in my 20s. But man, what an underrated guitar. Theyre so buttery to play.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Basic Poster posted:

Welp, got some kind of wild hare in me. Always have to be mindful of my own gas...but:

Ordered:

Played for maybe 8 years and am determined to do so again

Brubaker JXB-5 in wonderful lake placid blue.

And just about to order... ordered:

Yikes.

First of all, holy poo poo, congrats dude

Second, what's the point of getting an Aguilar pre-amp pedal if you also ordered an Aguilar amp? Absolutely not trolling, just curious - I'm very new to bass and I just play mine directly into my amp (Rumble 40), but I was under the impression that bass players bought preamp pedals to get the flavor of a different amp manufacturer's sound.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

curried lamb of God posted:

First of all, holy poo poo, congrats dude

Second, what's the point of getting an Aguilar pre-amp pedal if you also ordered an Aguilar amp? Absolutely not trolling, just curious - I'm very new to bass and I just play mine directly into my amp (Rumble 40), but I was under the impression that bass players bought preamp pedals to get the flavor of a different amp manufacturer's sound.

Thank you! Very kind of you to say. I actually didnt get the preamp pedal because they are out of stock...

I am sure you can use them for amp faking / modeling...but I wanted it specifically because the brubaker bass comes pre routed for an active pre-amp to make it an active bass for like a 200 dollar up charge. But they didnt have any in stock ( I can buy it later and install myself). So the aguilar pedal was just like...oh yeah...now all my basses can be active if I want. I mean a pre is a pre is a pre.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I’ll just chime in and echo that Duesenbergs are awesome and I’d never even considered the idea of owning a hollow or semi-hollowbody guitar until I played one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I’ll just chime in and echo that Duesenbergs are awesome and I’d never even considered the idea of owning a hollow or semi-hollowbody guitar until I played one.

It’s got me curious too. Do they sound any different or is it more how the guitar feels?