Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

laserghost posted:

Following lucius's works is like being in one of those doomsday cults (nearly fat fingered "doomsday cucks" which is also oddly fitting)

Yeah each update only makes me more nervous. I guess the real test will be whether we have anything by the end of the year.

Still cautiously optimistic for #df21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Superhot didn’t vibe with me but it’s a kick rear end concept.

I went from "this is the greatest game ever" to "eh" when I realized time still moved while I stood still

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Barudak posted:

I went from "this is the greatest game ever" to "eh" when I realized time still moved while I stood still

Extremely slowly, to the point where it might as well not be moving at all. I heard about this, and had to test it out a couple times, since at first, it didn't seem like it was true.

This is a bit more noticeable when there are bullets flying towards you, but overall, it's still totally fine.

Looking forward to playing mini-Superhot in Dusk, whenever that comes out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Per Kristian Risvik's renditions of the Doom soundtrack are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ja8i1hvSA

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm consistently annoyed at how Duke3D mods and TCs have this WOW BUILD ENGINE EFFECTS thing about them where everything is ramped way too far. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, and going back through a ton of these mods over the years, the most popular ones were always a jumbled loving mess. I think it specifically got so bad with DukePlus, which had a shitload of extremely over the top scripting-wank because god drat we gotta use EVERY new Eduke32 feature. Then there's AMC TC, a clusterfuck I will never be able to finish because it has way, WAY too much poo poo and isn't very well balanced in it's mess.
The only mod released so far that actually did things very well is Duke Nukem Forever 2013, and it's because it has it's sights set squarely on just recreating interesting things and building a bit on Duke's gameplay loop.

I did a BIG dive into many of the Duke 3d TCs a few years ago and completely agree with this. Kudos to all those who have poured a ton of hours into this much content over the years, but its beyond cluttered and hilariously unbalanced.

Weirdly enough, Blood mods tend to avoid the problem. There's the always mentioned Death Wish (still incredible) but a handful of other top tier Blood mods add new elements but still work well with the overall experience.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

laserghost posted:

In a "store mostly focused on old games" sense, yes. Much less pedonime poo poo pandering to gamergate shitheads, for starters.

Wait... is GOG chuddy? I know there was some kerfuffle about Cyberpunk but I've still been using it for old games :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There’s no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, Superhot is addictive.

Holy poo poo.

Check out Maximum Action on Steam!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

Wait... is GOG chuddy? I know there was some kerfuffle about Cyberpunk but I've still been using it for old games :(

their official twitter account made several bad, chuddy tweets but they all turned out to be one guy who has since been fired. idk about the larger company culture or anything. here's a really long article about what happened, although it's still hard to say whether he's an actual chud or merely a huge moron

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-05-troubling-gog-tweets-a-fired-cd-projekt-employee-and-the-spectre-of-gamergate

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Looks like Skin Deep has a legit publisher now.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1384543644498108416

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Squeezy Farm posted:

Aside from the crap Tweets, CDPR has been under fire recently for saying they don't have crunch and it turned out that they were crunching hard to release Cyberpunk (of course they were).

GOG itself probably doesn't have much in the way of crunch.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Looks like Skin Deep has a legit publisher now.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1384543644498108416

I’m not sure what the game’s conceit is, but boy do I like shooting guys on spaceships.
How is there not an FPS that sees you manning your own ship and just doin things? Like, repair in real time, improve the ship, just exist in your own ship?

Ditto on Duke Mods being way, waaay too much. I spent an afternoon awhile back downloading all of the major mods for Duke, only to open AMC TC and say wow this is not at all what I was looking for. I was thinking they would touch on the original magic of build games - fun and relatable locales. Duke Burger was so much fun as a kid, not only cause I enjoy the level, but it felt really cool to finally be playing a game where the surroundings felt relatable

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Weirdly enough, Blood mods tend to avoid the problem. There's the always mentioned Death Wish (still incredible) but a handful of other top tier Blood mods add new elements but still work well with the overall experience.

It probably helps that Blood didn't have a source port for so long, so people weren't able to crack it open and play around as much as the Duke modders could. You get a few things like that big weapon mod, or BPF adding a whole bunch of new textures and sounds, but that tends to be about it.

Death Wish is all vanilla stuff, if I remember right, just amazingly used.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AMC TC is loving insane and not really my bag but it exists and that alone fukkin' owns

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

eternalvictory posted:

I’m not sure what the game’s conceit is, but boy do I like shooting guys on spaceships.
My understanding is that it's basically Die Hard, but in space.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eternalvictory posted:

How is there not an FPS that sees you manning your own ship and just doin things? Like, repair in real time, improve the ship, just exist in your own ship?

Isn't this about to get patched into E:D?

It was also sort of the idea behind Notch's post-Minecraft game with the weird hex name, but, well, lol

I would guess though that having to run all over your ship frequently to do basic maintenance and feeding meters turns out to not actually be that fun, which is why most spaceship games are menu-driven

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

eternalvictory posted:

Zero Page floated onto my radar recently. It appears to be a walking sim type game where you keep an old-rear end spacestation running, and also the station is controlled via emulated Apple IIs.
https://twitter.com/zeropage_game/status/1362986478402293762

Apparently Erik "Half of Old Man Murray, and also I guess he wrote and stuff at and still occasionally writes stuff for Valve" Wolpaw is involved, and his announcement bares sharing in chronological order because he is bad at Twitter threads:

quote:

A very neat thing I've been helping out with...

Getting a lot of Qs. Yes, this is Choplifter 2. Yes, I am writing the story. The story is: You are playing Choplifter 1, only you’re on a spaceship. It’s similar to the story of Last of Us 2, the main difference being you’re playing Choplifter 1 on a spaceship.

The story is very sad like Last of Us 2. Only with a much higher degree of writing difficulty than anything ever attempted by Neil Druckmann, because it is hard to make people cry when they are having fun playing Choplifter 1 while also riding in a spaceship.

quote:

A contact tells me Neil Druckmann said if he ever sees me, he will give me something to cry about. My contact asked Neal Druckmann if that meant he would give me a copy of the very sad Last of Us 2. At which point Neil Druckmann clarified that he was going to beat me up.

My response: While I would be happy to meet Neal Druckmann in the octagon or a combat arena of any shape, let's just see who wins the Most Crying award at the 2021 Geoff Keighley Awards.

Here is a preview: It will be zero_page, aka Choplifter 2. The human anatomy for sadness is inadequate to express the grief you will feel. That is our promise to you.

If you feel you ARE biologically equipped to express the immense sadness you feel while enjoying Choplifter 2, you can have your money back if you have also played the game for less than 2 hours. That is a guarantee you will not get from Neal Druckmann.

quote:

Ton of great responses to Choplifter 2, including one angry lady who called me a moron. She thinks her cruelty hurts me, but it only makes me sadder. So technically: Correct. Long term: That extra sadness goes into the game where it is converted into GOTY awards.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

eternalvictory posted:

Ditto on Duke Mods being way, waaay too much. I spent an afternoon awhile back downloading all of the major mods for Duke, only to open AMC TC and say wow this is not at all what I was looking for. I was thinking they would touch on the original magic of build games - fun and relatable locales. Duke Burger was so much fun as a kid, not only cause I enjoy the level, but it felt really cool to finally be playing a game where the surroundings felt relatable

A space version of Sea of Thieves would probably do gangbusters

haveblue posted:

Isn't this about to get patched into E:D?

It was also sort of the idea behind Notch's post-Minecraft game with the weird hex name, but, well, lol

I would guess though that having to run all over your ship frequently to do basic maintenance and feeding meters turns out to not actually be that fun, which is why most spaceship games are menu-driven

I mean Among Us manages to make it reasonably entertaining, just gotta have it be quick simple mini games rather than complicated puzzles

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Doom, except that glory kills are Warioware games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

A.o.D. posted:

Doom, except that glory kills are Warioware games.

If it's a VR game then you could do them like the Wii Warioware game

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

While I don't disagree with the posts that Alien Armageddon adds probably too much stuff, I have been having a good time with it. I really like the leveling system, it works better for me personally as a system to encourage weapon switching than Doom Eternal's approach.

Isn't there a similar mod for Doom 2 that adds leveling mechanics? Is it any good?

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Final random thought on Doom Classic Unity: when most events cause controller rumble, the BFG tracer blast sticks out for being quiet on the controller. I feel giving the moment of blast a low-volume hum would both reinforce the weapon's sense of power, and fit the actual mechanic of tracers shooting from yourself.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I am always here for any Blendo Game. They are exactly my kind of rough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I very much want to play an emotional non-emotional Choplifter 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Press the dedicated yee-haw button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUf_1eOwFs

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Redneck Rampage absolutely sucks.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Interesting set of threads about Cruelty Squad and game design:
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1384168758298636295
https://twitter.com/HakitaDev/status/1384198976501477387
https://twitter.com/vectorpoem/status/1384235562941358083

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SCheeseman posted:

I'm only 7 minutes into the video, but I'm glad that Civvie is already acknowledging a key issue in that game.

Edit: And the ceiling switch in the sewer level, which is even more hidden to someone who wasn't using mouselook back in the day.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the only truly good build game is blood

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I very much want to play an emotional non-emotional Choplifter 2.

So… DCS? No emotion from the AI aircraft and AAA as they gun you down (unlike in the original Choplifter), and you're left to emotionally stew as there is nothing you can do about it.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SCheeseman posted:

It makes me a little sad that it's the only FPS I ever got my dad into. Lord, I wish I'd sat down with him and taught him how to play Doom.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
All my homies hate Redneck Rampage. Absolute joke of a game. How'd the same people go on to make Return to Castle Wolfenstein??

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ugh, I've been sat here feeling unaccountably sick the past half-hour and its just abating; Did I eat the wrong thing for lunch?

I just watched the full new Civvie video full-screen and have jank-based 2nd hand motion sickness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tippis posted:

So… DCS? No emotion from the AI aircraft and AAA as they gun you down (unlike in the original Choplifter), and you're left to emotionally stew as there is nothing you can do about it.

What's DCS?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Digital Combat Simulator. The clickiest of clicky-cockpit flight sims with the most cheating AI in the business.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVi6rdPE4I&t=448s

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How could an AI cheat in a flight sim? Teleportation?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Another Necromunda trailer.

https://twitter.com/FocusHome/status/1384825364602671104

I was under the impression we'd be playing as gruff british guy but there's a part in the trailer where he goes "This is you" and it cuts between a bunch of different customizable characters. Hrmmm.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Carpator Diei posted:

Interesting set of threads about Cruelty Squad and game design:

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1384878188661252096?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Serephina posted:

How could an AI cheat in a flight sim? Teleportation?

It is given a late-1940s first-generation jet and gives it a thrust-to-weight ratio that would make an Atlas rocket go home and cry in shame. This is in sharp contrast to how players in the same plane have to nurse the engine at all points to even have a chance to maintain straight and level flight. :haw: