Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gross.

anyway i don't really get that post, that's never going to happen for close to $1k. eventually you'll be able to add a lot of functionality to a mini via cables if saving that much cash is that important, though obviously it's 'only' an m1 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lexicon posted:

Any rumblings of finally adding cellular to the laptops? An M1 cellular MBA would be an instant-buy for me.

I doubt it, but you can just get a cheap hotspot and add to your plan anyway ? The hotspots have a cap, but unlike the iPad lines (which are unlimited), laptop plans would have a cap as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Crunchy Black posted:

I'll go out and say the dumb quiet part loud, gently caress it, do what they did with the cheese grater. Give me a M1x Mac Pro starting at 1k with PCIe upgradability and I'd do things that are still technically illegal in the south for it.

Me too, but:

1) Apple has never sold an Intel-based tower for less than $2.5K

2) Can't imagine anyone other than AMD / ATI being willing to write ARM device drivers for any PCIe cards

3) They wouldn't bother in the first place since Apple supplies their own GPU now

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
No poo poo, as at that point it would undercut MBP and even iPadPro sales, but if we're throwing darts...

Hell, even at a 2k price point you have my attention--even without PCIe.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I've got a late 2009 imac. /End bad story.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I doubt it, but you can just get a cheap hotspot and add to your plan anyway ? The hotspots have a cap, but unlike the iPad lines (which are unlimited), laptop plans would have a cap as well.

What fresh hell is this? They split data lines and arbitrarily set data caps per device? Is this USA?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've got a late 2009 imac. /End bad story.

you really should go back to bed, Dad, you have work in the morning

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leempi posted:

What fresh hell is this? They split data lines and arbitrarily set data caps per device? Is this USA?

They have a cap on hotspot data, it’s not per device.

Well, I guess some ISP might try to do it per line?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

SuperiorColliculus posted:

All I want is an M1 replay of my 12 inch MacBook with a non gimped cpu and a keyboard that doesn’t self destruct.

I love that slow little bastard

Yeah, I love my M1 MacBook Air, but the 12" form factor is even better for portability.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leempi posted:

Oh, for sure that’s a USA thing. They put a cap on mobile hotspots because they don’t want people using it for home internet and killing the network. LTE embedded laptops are a more rare thing now a days, but they get the same limits.

Not stating that’s good or whatever, just what the carriers do.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Leempi posted:

yeah you just need to Google "Ajit Pai" and lol at how loving broken our regulatory system is to understand this

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

drat, do I want to punch that guy..

Oh yeah, Apple Store is down down down..

Who's making the thread?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I honestly hope I never have to hear from Ajit Pai again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

yeah you just need to Google "Ajit Pai" and lol at how loving broken our regulatory system is to understand this

Excuse me, Mr. Fox? Would you mind guarding this hen house?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965529

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God it's so ugly lol. Being an iMac Pro owner never felt so good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah summary of the new iMac, same specs as the base M1 Air (8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) for $300 more but with a 4k display now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol no

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kind of disappointed it still has the huge bezel and the jay leno chin

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I still want to hack it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
From the pictures it's looking like there's still no height adjustability, correct?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Splinter posted:

From the pictures it's looking like there's still no height adjustability, correct?

Looks like it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Couleurs, sound ,and appetite.

I got this.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

god that chin. why????

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sphyre posted:

god that chin. why????

Previous models had the logic board behind the screen with the chin having the speakers and fan

This one was made as thin as the screen, but had to move everything to the chin now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Have to put that HUGE LOGIC BOARD (size of a fun size snickers lmao) somewhere

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their design choices are so odd sometimes. Like who cares how thin it is, it's a desktop. Make the FRONT look cleaner, not the sides. Adjustable height would be nice but that might make it too ugly in the back I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

a stupid post

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good to see the iMac VESA mount range are still available, lol at having to jump to the not-base model to get a wired network.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Good to see the iMac VESA mount range are still available, lol at having to jump to the not-base model to get a wired network.

Just steal somebody's power brick

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bro those new imacs, holy gently caress they look so poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I told you many times, the chin’s never going away

The chin is essential to the brand identity of the iMac—at least that’s how Apple sees it internally

Many such discussions out there with Jony and other design team people over the years that speak to that, many bits and bobs of information dropped about what they consider important, etc

The chin connects every generation of iMac to the front profile of the original G3 with the optical drive and speakers below its display (the lamp iMac technically has that if you look at the screen and base as one unified “front”).

Apple could’ve removed the chin at basically any point after putting the guts up behind the display and they’ve always chosen not to.

Apple doesn’t want their computer to look visually indistinct from a well-finished monitor.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

bro those new imacs, holy gently caress they look so poo poo
I was joking with people a few weeks ago about how I "hope they still keep the huge chin to piss people off" lol. My reasoning was that they still needed somewhere to put the big Apple logo, but hell they aren't even putting in on there this time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

I was joking with people a few weeks ago about how I "hope they still keep the huge chin to piss people off" lol. My reasoning was that they still needed somewhere to put the big Apple logo, but hell they aren't even putting in on there this time.

trolling in both directions :2bong:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

njsykora posted:

Yeah summary of the new iMac, same specs as the base M1 Air (8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) for $300 more but with a 4k display now.

I wish there were color options where the bezel around the screen matched the rest of the color of the device because it's always looked weird but specs-wise it's really disappointing. I guess that we won't know for sure until it's available to order (?) but I hoped they would have much higher RAM & SSD options. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect 32GB RAM & 2TB SSD options but maybe they're saving that stuff for whenever they announce and release the replacement for the 27" iMac, which I'm guessing will be the new iMac Pro giving the naming convention they've adopted now?

I'm guessing Covid has been affecting manufacturing and such but I'm all-in whenever they announce the replacement for the 27" (hopefully with something more powerful than the base M1 chip) but I guess that won't be until the end of the year?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol the imacs look great, you people are loving weird

they're going to sell bananas

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The red one looks nice on the sides but I don’t like the pink front. Not buying one anyway so whatever. Hope they release purple iPads or MacBook airs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I wish there were color options where the bezel around the screen matched the rest of the color of the device because it's always looked weird but specs-wise it's really disappointing. I guess that we won't know for sure until it's available to order (?) but I hoped they would have much higher RAM & SSD options. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect 32GB RAM & 2TB SSD options but maybe they're saving that stuff for whenever they announce and release the replacement for the 27" iMac, which I'm guessing will be the new iMac Pro giving the naming convention they've adopted now?

I'm guessing Covid has been affecting manufacturing and such but I'm all-in whenever they announce the replacement for the 27" (hopefully with something more powerful than the base M1 chip) but I guess that won't be until the end of the year?

i dunno, the 27-inch imac has always had better specs without being an imac pro

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hatty posted:

The red one looks nice on the sides but I don’t like the pink front. Not buying one anyway so whatever. Hope they release purple iPads or MacBook airs

i am mildly surprised to not see the ipad pros in other colours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Breaking: Goons don’t understand why fun things like “colors” and “emojis” appeal to normal people.