Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm about 90 pages in to Moving Pictures and I just realized that I'm reading the Archchancellor as having a cartoonish Australian accent. Is there something in the text to suggest this and I just picked it up in passing or am I brokebrained

Maybe getting him mixed up with his australian counterpart? He's more of a classic big game hunter archetype, so like van pelt or reno jackson IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CommonShore posted:

I'm about 90 pages in to Moving Pictures and I just realized that I'm reading the Archchancellor as having a cartoonish Australian accent. Is there something in the text to suggest this and I just picked it up in passing or am I brokebrained

He’s from Lancre iirc

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s from Lancre iirc

Nah, he just spent time there when younger, and has, shall we say, fond memories of the place and the people. Ridcully's family got country estate somewhere near the mountains though, he had actually stopped wizarding and lived there before they elected him arch-chancellor.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If the Archchancellor doesn't sound like BRIAN BLESSED in your head, I don't know what to tell you.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ridicully's land-owning gentry at worst, if not minor nobility. Brian Blessed's too RP for that. The sort of person Ridicully's a resonance with doesn't really make it to video or radio very often. The closest thing I can think of is probably Michael Cochrane in Sharpe as Sir Henry Simmerson, or Viv Stanshall doing Sir Henry at Rawlinson End; except they're usually also an irredeemable silly rear end (which is what the wizards think they're getting, and as someone like Lord Rust actually is), and Pratchett twists it by giving Ridicully an unusual amount of brainpower in his own way.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

Ridicully's land-owning gentry at worst, if not minor nobility. Brian Blessed's too RP for that. The sort of person Ridicully's a resonance with doesn't really make it to video or radio very often. The closest thing I can think of is probably Michael Cochrane in Sharpe as Sir Henry Simmerson, or Viv Stanshall doing Sir Henry at Rawlinson End; except they're usually also an irredeemable silly rear end (which is what the wizards think they're getting, and as someone like Lord Rust actually is), and Pratchett twists it by giving Ridicully an unusual amount of brainpower in his own way.

or the gentry guy from the treasure island

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok so I'm brokebrained, but I'm going to continue reading him as Australian because it rules.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nothing Australian rules, especially not football.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CommonShore posted:

ok so I'm brokebrained, but I'm going to continue reading him as Australian because it rules.

I agree, but it will make reading... a certain later book... a bit tricky.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

Nothing Australian rules, especially not football.

Hey!.. shutup. :smithcloud:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Truth, justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard Boiled Egg.

GNU, Sir Terry Pratchett.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

A man's not dead while his name is still spoken.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened."

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

My quarantine project was reading Discworld books at bed time to the kiddo. Shes only 6, I dont know how much of the story itself is gonna stick, just hope the telling stays with her. I try to read with enthusiasm and do voices for everyone.

I started with Men at Arms because it was what I had available. After that i just started at the beginning. She really liked the adventures of Rincewind and Twoflower. After Light Fantastic we switched and read the Tiffany Aching books Wee Free Men and Hat Full of sky

Mort was especially of fun to read BECAUSE YOU GET TO TALK JUST LIKE DEATH FOR LARGE PORTIONS OF THE BOOK. Last night we finished The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents and started on Sourcery.

She has mentioned before to watch out for the Luggage and was wondering aloud about the Great A'Tuin starbabies a few nights ago. We live in oregon so I occasionally have to mention not everyone with a staff is a wizard and it would be embarrassing if you asked and they were not.

I know everyone should probably have british accents but Rincewind sounds like The Monarch from Venture brothers but toned down, Twoflower is a polite canadian, Maurice is Jack Nicholson, Vimes is a tired Snake Pliskin. Dwarves skew scottish and Trolls are mostly Vin Diesel

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Rincewind sounds like The Monarch from Venture brothers but toned down

Well poo poo now i'll never be able to unhear that in my head.

Wonder if my 5yo is old enough to enjoy some of Pterry's children books like the Bromeliad trilogy.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Beer_Suitcase posted:

She has mentioned before to watch out for the Luggage and was wondering aloud about the Great A'Tuin starbabies a few nights ago. We live in oregon so I occasionally have to mention not everyone with a staff is a wizard and it would be embarrassing if you asked and they were not.

Embarrassing for them, maybe. Ask away, and shame the fraudsters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO if you are a grown adult carrying around a staff, you don't get to get pissy if six year old kids mistake you for a wizard.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Picked this up randomly at a used book store yesterday for my 3 year old, hope she likes it as much as I did!

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/books/wheres-my-cow/

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, I'll bite: why is Oregon notable for having people who aren't wizards walk around with staffs?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Weirdos, OP.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are weirdos like that in lots of places. I once asked my roommate if he noticed "the stick dudes" and he was like what? And three days later he said "ok I've noticed the stick dudes."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CommonShore posted:

There are weirdos like that in lots of places. I once asked my roommate if he noticed "the stick dudes" and he was like what? And three days later he said "ok I've noticed the stick dudes."

Does Oregon have a lot of hiking trails? Maybe that's why there's lots of people with walking sticks? Or it could just be old people with long canes?

As a kid I was obsessed with staffs and would definitely be the sort of weirdo to carry around a staff if doing so conveyed any sort of ability. Sadly magic not real.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

El Fideo posted:

Embarrassing for them, maybe.

Yeah, it's this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is actually a Hellmouth in Oregon, and a cabal of hiker-wizards work tirelessly to keep the threat contained. You will know them by their sticks, socks-and-sandals and fanny packs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ccs posted:

Does Oregon have a lot of hiking trails? Maybe that's why there's lots of people with walking sticks? Or it could just be old people with long canes?

As a kid I was obsessed with staffs and would definitely be the sort of weirdo to carry around a staff if doing so conveyed any sort of ability. Sadly magic not real.

Oregon probably does, but we lived downtown in a major Canadian city

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Scp-38267: the oregon stick dudes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khizan posted:

IMO if you are a grown adult carrying around a staff, you don't get to get pissy if six year old kids mistake you for a wizard.

You have to be a pretty miserable adult if you get grumpy if a six year old asks you if you're a wizard.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

withak posted:

Weirdos, OP.

This, and hiking. But mostly weirdos

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

withak posted:

Weirdos, OP.

I think that's a typo, it should be Weirdos, OR.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oregon has a lot of hiking, yes. Also a lot of weirdos. I used to have a nice walking stick I won in a silent auction, had an owl whittled into it. Wish I could remember where it wound up.

If someone asked me that I'd just say "nope, no knob on the end."

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I walk with a staff I don't need, normally just carrying it. It's saved my life on at least two occasions. One time a little girl asked if it does magic and I said yes and did the magic of having a chupa chups in my pocket. I'm definitely a wizard.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

So what's the other time it saved your life op?

Also it's not a staff unless it's at least as tall as a person. Otherwise that's just a stick and insufficient for proper magic.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

-

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I Love Loosies posted:

So what's the other time it saved your life op?

He had to collapse a bridge in front of a balrog.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I Love Loosies posted:

Also it's not a staff unless it's at least as tall as a person. Otherwise that's just a stick and insufficient for proper magic.

I believe the knob on the end is fairly important. For magic.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

quote:

“People think that stories are shaped by people. In fact, it’s the other way around. Stories exist independently of their players. If you know that, the knowledge is power. Stories, great flapping ribbons of shaped space-time, have been blowing and uncoiling around the universe since the beginning of time. And they have evolved. The weakest have died and the strongest have survived and they have grown fat on the retelling . . . stories, twisting and blowing through the darkness. And their very existence overlays a faint but insistent pattern on the chaos that is history. Stories etch grooves deep enough for people to follow in the same way that water follows certain paths down a mountainside. And every time fresh actors tread the path of the story, the groove runs deeper. This is called the theory of narrative causality and it means that a story, once started, takes a shape. It picks up all the vibrations of all the other workings of that story that have ever been. This is why history keeps on repeating all the time.”.

:cry:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gaiman just announced Good Omens season 2. I am not stoked.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

What? How? Why? :psyduck:

I feel like Neil jumped the shark sometime around when he ran off with Amanda Palmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedit posted:

Yeah, there's a story about how he allegedly plotted a sequel with PTerry and they never got around to doing it, but... eeeh... Look, I certainly don't want to call the man a liar. I love most of the stuff Neil has done, I'm a huge Sandman fan, but right now some part of me can't help thinking about Neil's quote that an author is someone who tells lies for a living.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the Good Omens TV adaption.

EDIT: Here's the story: https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2021/06/really-bloody-excellent-omens.html