Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I said come in! posted:

this MMO is surprisingly good and I should play it again.

I stopped when 95 cap hit and recently got back into it and its still fun. Tons of stuff to grind and the raids have solo versions which is nice if you don't feel like dealing with that mess.

FirstAidKite posted:

Same, I haven't touched it in a while and I never touched the Tower or Raid or PVP stuff and never wanted to so it shouldn't take too long to get through the main quest stuff. I think the worst part might still be Empyrean just because Empyrean has a lot of areas that can feel sorta samey, like the multiple dungeons that are just variations on "You're fighting sea creature pirates on the water train" or "you're beating up the secret juggalo cartel army"

I haven't leveled a character in a while but they really sped up the leveling process I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this is the best videogame witch
im sorry for timg tags but this image is powerfully gigantic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

this is the best videogame witch
im sorry for timg tags but this image is powerfully gigantic.

I take it this is who you meant.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Casting a spell to obscure the image is classic witch

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Still amazed it took 19 years to get I-No to put on a shirt

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really desperate for Guilty Gear Strive to come out already. It was suppose to be out this month, but got delayed until June.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FirstAidKite posted:

Still amazed it took 19 years to get I-No to put on a shirt

It's always sad to see a character give in to peer pressure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol the first boss in Illusions of Gaia is painfully loving hard, but then you get to the 2nd boss and it dies in like 3 hits, and then you jump to your death only to land on a airplane. This game is wild.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23665015/

We want to let you know that Jeff Kaplan has decided to leave the company after a long and storied career here, and that Aaron Keller, a Blizzard veteran and founding member of the Overwatch team, will be stepping in as game director.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The LOTRO forums sent me a happy birthday email every year, up until this year :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Last Call posted:

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23665015/

We want to let you know that Jeff Kaplan has decided to leave the company after a long and storied career here, and that Aaron Keller, a Blizzard veteran and founding member of the Overwatch team, will be stepping in as game director.

Maybe now Overwatch will turn into a good game. Kaplan always came off as arrogant and unreceptive to fan feedback. He always had a response to everything for why a change or idea should never be considered.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
who the heck still gives a crap about overwatch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

who the heck still gives a crap about overwatch

Pretty much, it has an ultra toxic and openly racist community that Blizzard protects, its unbalanced, long queue times, and Blizzards idea of what is competitive or fun is really bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1384565202578968576?s=19

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would say that if I had to identify the Dark Souls of meal prep, based on recent experience I would say it would have to be sushi-making: intrinsic to a core idea of Japanese design philosophy, requires precise motions and bladework, and you can do a lot building on a handful of high-quality key ingredients.

Pizza is the Platinum game: requires a base level of execution where missing a step can make the whole thing collapse, but once you've nailed that it's a palette for a variety of self-expression, and you can always endlessly retry for a more perfect result; the hotter the fire the better the result.

The Naughty Dog game of meal prep is hamburger steak. I will not elaborate on this one further

i think i found the call of duty of meal prep

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft took a look at the actual use case for Discord, and saw that 99% of the userbase just idles in Discord.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Maybe now Overwatch will turn into a good game. Kaplan always came off as arrogant and unreceptive to fan feedback. He always had a response to everything for why a change or idea should never be considered.

I've never cared for him. Ever since he was "Tigole" (from Tigole Bitties :doh: ) on the WoW forums, he's had some really bad takes. Dude also really lucked into an amazing career, he was hired by Blizzard because he was in a top Everquest raiding guild. He had zero game development experience at all, and got put in charge of quest design and class balance.

And then he would say things like he intentionally nerfed the hybrid classes in WOW because he thought that they were OP in EQ.

Maybe it'll get better, yeah, IDK. I haven't touched it since like 2 months after release because of the aforementioned issues.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember when Microsoft was charging into the games business and sent a bunch of people to buy out Japanese game companies... Square Enix gave them some ridiculous highball number and their meeting with Nintendo was described as, imagine someone laughing at you for an hour

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when Microsoft was charging into the games business and sent a bunch of people to buy out Japanese game companies... Square Enix gave them some ridiculous highball number and their meeting with Nintendo was described as, imagine someone laughing at you for an hour

I get that Microsoft has virtually unlimited money, but they still aimed too high with their Japanese goals.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I said come in! posted:

i sort of doubt it. you stand some chance of overwatch 2 see improvements. in fairness, i think the matchmaking-and-small-teams focus was a mistake, just make team fortress 3.

I know they're not going to go this route, I've just been big missing the experience of booting up the ol' favorite server list and playing some semi-casual rounds and shooting the poo poo. I was playing battlefield 4 again for this for a little bit, which is the last good battlefield game I think.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

this MMO is surprisingly good and I should play it again.

I was going to try dfo but the first time I tried to log in I got a message saying I was banned lmao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm the guy who still plays Overwatch. it'll be really interesting to see how the development philosophy changes as we see patches in the future

I'm also curious whether he's retiring or he's been fired

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

i sort of doubt it. you stand some chance of overwatch 2 see improvements. in fairness, i think the matchmaking-and-small-teams focus was a mistake, just make team fortress 3.

I know they're not going to go this route, I've just been big missing the experience of booting up the ol' favorite server list and playing some semi-casual rounds and shooting the poo poo. I was playing battlefield 4 again for this for a little bit, which is the last good battlefield game I think.

God yes I want Team Fortress 3 so much. Valve doesnt care though. At least overhaul Team Fortress 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm the guy who still plays Overwatch. it'll be really interesting to see how the development philosophy changes as we see patches in the future

I'm also curious whether he's retiring or he's been fired

I could see it being a 3rd option; him leaving just to join another company. Blizzard has been bleeding employees consistently since Activision took over, now they don't have much creative freedom so its probably pretty frustrating to work there if you have other options at smaller studios.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Valve and Blizzard team up to sell you a crate that could have Team Fortress 3, Overwatch 2, or a crudely drawn jpeg of a fish.

I'm joking obviously. Valve would never make a game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Half Life Alyx was many outlets' GOTY 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe it'll get better, yeah, IDK.

I'm not sure if Overwatch can really be improved much beyond moving faster on getting heroes into a balanced, playable state. The things that people hated about it when I played - the spammy nature of combat, the rigid focus on team positioning and slow advances through levels, the depriority on twitch aiming over cooldown usage - are all still gonna be there, and you can't get rid of them without completely altering the game's identity. I think Blizzard did a disservice to themselves trying to market Overwatch as a high-skill FPS when it is, in reality, a first-person MOBA. GOATS was kinda the distillation of this reality, and the fact that they had to rigidly enforce roles solely to break it speaks for itself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

I was going to try dfo but the first time I tried to log in I got a message saying I was banned lmao

Oof, that really sucks. I know that is pretty common with Korean MMORPGs for some reason. I think it's probably the sketchy anti-cheat software they force on you.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vermain posted:

I'm not sure if Overwatch can really be improved much beyond moving faster on getting heroes into a balanced, playable state. The things that people hated about it when I played - the spammy nature of combat, the rigid focus on team positioning and slow advances through levels, the depriority on twitch aiming over cooldown usage - are all still gonna be there, and you can't get rid of them without completely altering the game's identity. I think Blizzard did a disservice to themselves trying to market Overwatch as a high-skill FPS when it is, in reality, a first-person MOBA. GOATS was kinda the distillation of this reality, and the fact that they had to rigidly enforce roles solely to break it speaks for itself.

is "first-person MOBA" and "high-skill FPS" completely incompatible? also I don't give a gently caress about pro league OW but role queue is probably the best thing that happened to the game, you can't pick a role without being committed to it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Agreed. As others have said I really wish somebody would just make TF3 already.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is "first-person MOBA" and "high-skill FPS" completely incompatible? also I don't give a gently caress about pro league OW but role queue is probably the best thing that happened to the game, you can't pick a role without being committed to it

They're not incompatible, but I think by "high-skill FPS" they meant more like "rocket arena" or "class shooter" which OW isn't. Its definitely more MOBA and its infinitely more toxic and frustrating as a result, as much as it also is a competitive spectator darling for the same reason.

Blizzard made the same mistake with Starcraft 2 where they focused way too much on the eSports angle, to the detriment of the casual experience.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's with these blow-up swimming pools in the IRL category on Twitch?! I suppose there aren't any fail videos yet where the load of over half a cubic meter water on a small surface broke some floor joists?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's with these blow-up swimming pools in the IRL category on Twitch?! I suppose there aren't any fail videos yet where the point load of half a cubic meter water load on a small surface broke some floor joists?

Okay so, you know bikini streamers are a thing, right? Well, there's a weird rules arm race going on. Twitch decided to rule that you have to wear "appropriate" clothing to try to keep things from getting too lewd, but somebody found a loophole where you're allowed to stream in a swimsuit if you're swimming. So that lead to everybody getting small hottubs or inflatable pools so they can keep doing what they're doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I find the whole idea curious as hell, because as an European I have been "taught" via TV that a lot of housing in the US is made of wood, and with what bedrooms typically being on the second floor, putting like an estimated 1000-1200lb of water on a small spot on a wooden floor seems "interesting". Well, at least some of these streamers ought to live in a wooden house, anyway. Over here, where everything is thick rear end concrete, we're supposed to check with an architect for load bearing and poo poo, if we want a water bed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

I find the whole idea curious as hell, because as an European I have been "taught" via TV that a lot of housing in the US is made of wood, and with what bedrooms typically being on the second floor, putting like an estimated 1000-1200lb of water on a small spot on a wooden floor seems "interesting". Well, at least some of these streamers ought to live in a wooden house, anyway. Over here, where everything is thick rear end concrete, we're supposed to check with an architect for load bearing and poo poo, if we want a water bed.

1,200 pounds in the American Midwest is just a bed with two people in it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Trailers seldom have a second floor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much, it has an ultra toxic and openly racist community that Blizzard protects, its unbalanced, long queue times, and Blizzards idea of what is competitive or fun is really bad.

Competitive and fun are opposing forces and at launch they got super lucky to kind of have this perfect storm of a good time. You could do silly stuff, decide to all be freezy girls, or gorillas and hope around and whatever on the fly. There were obviously players and teams that were stronger, compositions that worked better, but the people caring enough and trying that hard seemed to quickly push themselves into a nether realm of other people too good to have fun around. I'm sure a lot of it is just the nature of it being brand-new with a shitload of new players all at once and there's nothing they can really do with updates and changes to ever get that again. Plus they compartmentalized every way to play into it's own little queue or whatever and every things much more rigid and micromanaged. For me, they patch where even quickplay no longer had hero-dupes was the end.

At launch Overwatch was probably the most fun I can imagine having in a PvP FPS game. I think I played a decent amount of hours and matches with friends in that time to have justified it's cost and it's good actually for things like that to end or you just quit.

Unless Overwatch 2 prominently features a new hero that is the child of a Taiwanese industrial magnate and Uyghur doctor piloting a mech that looks like a yellow bear and and all of their taunts criticize the practice of using mtx and gambling to drive sales -- I can't buy it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the real appeal of Overwatch was that it was an FPS where you didn't have to be the sweatiest guy on earth to enjoy like CS:GO, and it wasn't just another dudebro military shooter. They looked at the League vs Dota comparison and realized that people love and will shell out money for silly cowboy outfits and kpop skins, so why not just bypass the pretense of being serious entirely and just make the game about kpop and cowboys?

Plus, of course, Blizzard hadn't yet completely blown all their public goodwill.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i didnt get to participate in the favorite menu music linkstorm (too many links, not enough time!) cause the only menu music i can remember is Banjo Kazooie,

but i'd like to state that Furi has one of the best game soundtracks ive heard in a long time. i did not play it but several songs from it come up on my Pandora station on the regular and man they are really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGMk_roNaE0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah to whomever was asking about the MK11 Aftermath story mode... it is Good

He hasn't said "Your Soul is Mine" yet but I assume that is coming later, every opportunity for a reference that has presented itself, the story has hammered down on that button multiple times lol

I should be on pace to finish this just in time for the movie... so many things are happening 4/23 this year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Furi is good and I finally beat it, on the third try (the first two were abandoned at the sniper boss)

And yeah it has a good soundtrack. One of the artists (Danger) did the whole soundtrack for their next game, Haven, and it's also very chill