Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bharatrocity posted:

I'm an ESL legacy fan

heck, same

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He's still on through 2021.
https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1384585506873348097

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Love the idea of the glazers going 'well FINE we'll take our dodgy debt pyramid scheme and go home if you hate us that much'

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Alexeythegreat posted:

One other thing that's funny is how the corporate identity, the branding of the super league is hilariously shoddy and obviously cobbled together over a single all nighter

My 5th division local norwegian club still has literally 5 times as many social media followers as ESL. The complete lack of marketing is pretty astounding, even if they had to rush this.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

WHAT

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Lost in all this is that the most evil of the owners in this mess might actually be the AC Milan owner if you look up his history. He's the one that bought Argentinian debt and then used that leverage to seize an actual goddamn warship.

IIRC he got AC Milan by loaning money to their owners, they missed a payment, and then he took the whole drat club in return

He probably does suck, but seizing a warship kind of owns.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

mods make this my av and also forum background

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Rad Valtar posted:

I just realized that a handful of people in charge of these clubs resigned from organization’s like UEFA and a few others I can’t remember just a few days ago. Do they come crawling back or are all these idiots going to get the boot permentantly?

E: oh nevermind all the idiots are just resigning.

There's no way back, their place is already taken by other less corrupt members

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Just Chamber posted:

If this gets the US cunts like the Glazers and Kronke out I will cum buckets

This is the best possible outcome to the ESL.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

He quit from uefa posts for this project backstabbing everyone there. There's no going back for him and he knows it lmao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

phew, summer's gonna be a doozy of a window and they're gonna want steady eddie to steer the ship hahaha

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sinteres posted:

He probably does suck, but seizing a warship kind of owns.

Whats the story here

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
me: I want the friggin super league!!!!

mom: we have super league at home

home:

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

this is all very very funny but if this ends with spurs and man u both getting rid of people who were ruining their club while the kroenkes somehow manage to hang on I'm gonna poo poo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Whats the story here

It's the history of Paul Singer and Elliott financial

https://www.businessinsider.com/hedge-fund-elliott-capital-management-seizes-ara-libertad-ship-owned-by-argentina-2012-10

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr Snips posted:

this is all very very funny but if this ends with spurs and man u both getting rid of people who were ruining their club while the kroenkes somehow manage to hang on I'm gonna poo poo
this would be amazing, to me

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/JamesHorncastle/status/1384586058214645762?s=19

lmao never mind

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm a dumb American who does not follow football so the ESL was wildly successful in getting me interested in the poo poo show. And now it's gone, and so am I. What a wild 48 hours. Congrats to the ESL for achieving their goal.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

They are absolutely some of the worst cunts, but the one thing they had over the previous owners was actual money, not just made up money. Now hopefully they have to sell to someone else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Glad that’s sort of over, but hope for some amusing punishments.

Ultimately it was an especially stupid idea if they planned to rely on the international fanbases to make this a success:

Tuesday and Wednesday evenings are a poo poo time for both US and Asian international markets - they won’t get big viewership for midweek games out of primetime no matter what they’re showing. They miscalculated heavily if they expected that from Champions league or super league, ever.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah they have to bury the body first.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

dex_sda posted:

He quit from uefa posts for this project backstabbing everyone there. There's no going back for him and he knows it lmao

It's just unbelievable, these people burned their bridges behind them and had no backup plan

They really thought this would work, the Times scoop may have really hosed them over

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Whats the story here

https://www.businessinsider.com/hedge-fund-elliott-capital-management-seizes-ara-libertad-ship-owned-by-argentina-2012-10

I forgot it was a hedge fund thing, so upgrade he probably sucks to he's definitely a piece of poo poo.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

it's even more awesome if he tries to stay after this lol

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

they said the super league would be the greatest show on earth

and they were right

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632?s=20

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah they have to bury the body first.

He fell down an elevator shaft. Onto some bullets.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ozmunkeh posted:

Please can the super league be just barca and real playing each other twice a week forever.

clasico's forever ftw

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

If there's one owner we know will make it out of this unscathed it's Daniel Levy, sorry spurs fans.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

loving lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Meeting of the failed super league where they try to figure out how to steal all the money in private instead of in public starts at 23:30 CET supposedly.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Kroenke out when

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Snips posted:

I don't think it'll do anything to any of the ownership but we can hope

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Love the idea of the glazers going 'well FINE we'll take our dodgy debt pyramid scheme and go home if you hate us that much'
This is the bit I don't get, since when do billionaires give a poo poo about this kind of PR blowback? Usually they just act like they did nothing wrong and go on owning the thing you love/need and making buckets of money with it, because you can't stop them.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

It's just unbelievable, these people burned their bridges behind them and had no backup plan

Didn't even have the sense to rush to market some sweet ESL kit, which admittedly, I still want.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Perez doing a baghdad bob for a couple of days would be a good end to The Super League

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So uh JP Morgan I hear you have a few billion just sitting around now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Crazy Ted posted:

Another amazing thing about it all is that after the New York Times scooped the whole plan instead of giving some mealy-mouthed plausible denials everybody involved just went "gently caress yeah we're gonna do this and be legends".

I think the plausible initial plan was to sign their agreements, get JP Morgan on board, get in talks with a broadcast deal, then go to UEFA CL and push all in, force the CL to get them a better deal with the threat that they'll all leave after the season ends and won't be back.

It feels like the NYT pushed their plans forward and forced them to release and commit to a plan that hadn't been fully developed.