Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Read not the Watchers' LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I only played through Drakengard once, and I did it all in one (or maybe two) sittings as a college student on summer break with infinite free time. it was an absolutely demented way to experience that game, and probably what the author intended. i have no memory of it apart from killing children, i wouldn't mind if they remastered that one too and maybe made the combat good

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I only played through Drakengard once, and I did it all in one (or maybe two) sittings as a college student on summer break with infinite free time. it was an absolutely demented way to experience that game, and probably what the author intended. i have no memory of it apart from killing children, i wouldn't mind if they remastered that one too and maybe made the combat good

I would love it if they took a second crack at those games with actual good gameplay.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As someone who never played (or read Let's play) of the original Nier, but heard a lot of good things about the story and horrible things about the gameplay, do we have any idea if the Remake does something to address the gameplay side of things? I purposely kept myself in blackout about the whole thing, but that is something I am interested in, to know how to manage my expectations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you want to see a playthrough, starting this evening reallyreallylongathon's ReallyReallyLotsOfLore marathon is doing a relay of all the DoD/Nier games, with an interlude of the XIV raids.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

As someone who never played (or read Let's play) of the original Nier, but heard a lot of good things about the story and horrible things about the gameplay, do we have any idea if the Remake does something to address the gameplay side of things? I purposely kept myself in blackout about the whole thing, but that is something I am interested in, to know how to manage my expectations.

It sounds like they've improved the combat which IMO is the only real gameplay issue, and even then wasn't really that bad. I'm sure they've fixed the one bit in the main quest that was badly signposted and caused people to get frustrated and quit rather than look at their minimap, but it will be really funny if they didn't.

I'm so so excited for all the people who played Automata but not Gestalt to play the remake, I think it'd be a really cool point of view to come at the story from.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

They're updating the gameplay yeah, the devs are aware that the basic combat was kind of a weak link of the game and one of their goals with the remake is to take another pass at it.

I haven't looked too closely at what they're doing specifically to change it, but what little i've seen looks pretty cool. and honestly "horrible" is an overdramatic way to describe the original nier's combat imo, it's perfectly serviceable and doesn't really get in the way of enjoying the rest of the game, it's just very basic and functional.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'll be glad to play the original NieR when I didn't before, but I'm also really curious what hijinks there are in a Yoko Taro remake

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

throughout the story, you will be assaulted by mysterious ghosts whenever you try to veer off the beaten path; and at the end of the game, the ghosts take off their hoods to reveal that all of them are papa nier

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do I still get to fight Sephiroth

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Original Nier’s gameplay wasn’t horrible as much as it was just really bland at most.

Except if you wanted to engage with weapon upgrade mechanics & the word system

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Original nier's basic gameplay was bland but its gameplay as a whole was pretty ambitious and cool given the constant genre changing. I'm excited to see it refined!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do I still get to fight Sephiroth

after he kills yonah yes

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Has there been any information about the quality of the PC port? I've been seeing preview videos popping up but I haven't heard whether any of them were on the PC.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They're probably only sending the console versions out for review, so I doubt we'll know the state of the PC version until it comes out.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno, I think "good gameplay" might be a bit too far from the Intended Experience of Drakengard

but yes they absolutely should

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1384522494120370176

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

pairofdimes posted:

Has there been any information about the quality of the PC port? I've been seeing preview videos popping up but I haven't heard whether any of them were on the PC.

I feel like the Japanese market has really upped its game on PC ports in the last few years so I'm hoping it'll at least be baseline good (ie hits 60fps and allows you to change resolution).

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Noooooo don’t lower my chances! :negative:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drakengard 3 actually has decent gameplay and is worth playing at least

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm gonna enter and I'm not even eligible to win. :rock:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

at this point the terrible gameplay of drakengard is almost part of the charm to me. it's a mind-numbing descent into pointless violence and insanity that feels like it's punishing you for trying to enjoy it. I'm sure it probably wasn't intended to be lovely but the bad combat ended up perfectly matching the story that drakengard told.

that said, I would totally buy a remake day 1

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At least Drakengard 3's gameplay is pretty decent it just runs at 5fps.

There's an emulator hack to get it running at 60 and its the first thing that's made me seriously consider finally upgrading my CPU.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Drakengard 3's decent gameplay is at least somewhat countered by level design, though. It's not awful level design, but it starts to old after a while. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to unlock the final route; the repeat side-missions are incredibly obnoxious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if a consistent framerate would make the end boss easier

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if a consistent framerate would make the end boss easier

End boss actually has a rock solid frame rate, at the very least. I've done it, uh, A BUNCH of times and I can't recall it dropping frames, ever.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I started playing D3 with the RPCS3 60fps hack, it was...interesting. Kind of annoying to get going but not too hard.

I didn't really stick with it because I got distracted by some other games. Also D3 plays ok at 60fps but the game just has a bunch of other issues besides the framerate.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

I started playing D3 with the RPCS3 60fps hack, it was...interesting. Kind of annoying to get going but not too hard.

I didn't really stick with it because I got distracted by some other games. Also D3 plays ok at 60fps but the game just has a bunch of other issues besides the framerate.
I'd love to play the 60FPS hack but sadly trying to find any isos after PS2/Wii era is a pain in the rear end, and the effort required to track them down isn't something I'm willing to spend on a game which is, admittedly, kind of jank

If they'd just drop the drat thing on steam or w/e, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but alas, the PS3 is a steel deathtrap of exclusive games

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I succombed to temptation and pre-ordered. I guess tomorrow night is when I can pre-load the game?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

MonsieurChoc posted:

I succombed to temptation and pre-ordered. I guess tomorrow night is when I can pre-load the game?

I’m preloading it, so you may start it now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

To anyone who's gonna get the game but hasn't preordered it for whatever reason: you should pre-order it ASAP, one of the bonuses is a mini-soundtrack, and NieR music is always good

also if you get it on PS4 you get a dynamic theme, and those are always neat
(I got it on PS4 for the box art & because PC version has denuvo, and thats gross)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Blaziken386 posted:

To anyone who's gonna get the game but hasn't preordered it for whatever reason: you should pre-order it ASAP, one of the bonuses is a mini-soundtrack, and NieR music is always good

:hmmyes:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I didn’t expect my SE to be shipping from Las Vegas, but something about that feels right.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ZZZorcerer posted:

I’m preloading it, so you may start it now

Not on Steam you can't

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Someone is streaming early nier gameplay if you want to get a feel of how it looks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8iO1w62rIg

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
looks like someone added an achievement/trophy for perving on Kaine which honestly really sucks.

who actually is in charge of choosing what a game's achievements are?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

looks like someone added an achievement/trophy for perving on Kaine which honestly really sucks.

who actually is in charge of choosing what a game's achievements are?

:sigh: gotta get that mindshare from "Nier's most PERVERTED achievement *twentysomething in a hat mugs at camera*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

"We had it in automata so might as well put one in here too." is probably as deep as they thought about it.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"We had it in automata so might as well put one in here too." is probably as deep as they thought about it.

it even uses the same wording. "Discovered 2B's secret 10 times" "Discovered Kaine's secret 10 times" but it's much more nefarious sounding with Kaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RubberLuffy posted:

it even uses the same wording. "Discovered 2B's secret 10 times" "Discovered Kaine's secret 10 times" but it's much more nefarious sounding with Kaine.

That's really really bad! WOW!!! :captainpop: