Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also important: you get the best animation set in Mesa Noble, which incidentally is very funny to put on Wisp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

RBX posted:

Which one should I play as a newbie out of these 3? Mesa, Wisp, or Saryn?

Mesa isn’t fun without arcane energize IMO and that’s not something a newbie will have access to

Of those three I’d say wisp, her 1 is useful immediately and very energy efficient

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hypnophant posted:

Mesa isn’t fun without arcane energize IMO and that’s not something a newbie will have access to

Of those three I’d say wisp, her 1 is useful immediately and very energy efficient

I don't have arcane energize and I had fun, but this is probably true

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Mesa is very powerful but she might bore you on the game quickly, Saryn would be my suggestion. Plus, if you have cash to spare, she's a darling of the community and design team and has far more fashion options available.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
You will want all 3 eventually. If you have a nuke frame already, go Wisp. If you don't, go Mesa. Its a whole different game when you have the option to play Mesa.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 20, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

RBX posted:

Which one should I play as a newbie out of these 3? Mesa, Wisp, or Saryn?

Short answer : Get all frames eventually.

Mesa is nigh-invulnerable killbot that needs line of sight.
Wisp has a bunch of buffs and cool stuff. But she requires a bunch of late-game stuff to farm, so why is this an option?
Saryn is (after a ramp up time) kind of the the most powerful killbot because she does not care about walls and line of sight. Survivability is mostly in a decoy she can drop (and the usual tools available to all frame)

So, as a newbie I'd say Mesa is good (she's very handy for soloing open world stuff frex). She also has a prime with no MR minimum, so just trade for that. Saryn also has a Prime with no MR requirement, but might be more expensive.

Don't plat buy a frame unless you've tried the farm for it and hate it.

EDIT : Mesa def does not need Arcane Energize. She does need a decent efficency/duration, and hotkeying energy pizzas is a good plan once you hit the point you can have a stash of those. Notably she's also the only one of those three that's immune to harpoons (with her 3 up) so I also find her good for just trying out new weapons because if I need to suddenly kill something I can just shout IT'S HIGH NOON and delete them.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 20, 2021

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

hypnophant posted:

She's incredible without it, i played her for a year before i even had a r0 energize, you just have to mod for a bit more eff and toggle 4 on and off instead of being a stationary turret constantly.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 20, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

RoadCrewWorker posted:

She's incredible without it, i played her for a year before i even had a r0 energize, you just have to mod for a bit more eff and toggle 4 on and off instead of being a stationary turret constantly.

Same. Mesa basically let me explore and learn the world of Warframe to get enough stuff and practice to be able to enjoy Warframe with a less overpowered frame.

See also Nezha and Rhino.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mesa is only fun when you've worked out how to do peacemakers in the middle of your bullet jump.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Despite being gated behind the Ropalolyst fight (and thus, second dream and other quests) Wisp is fantastically newbie friendly. Her buffs give you arguably more survivability than a Rhino, though admittedly you do have to pay more attention to them. You basically throw on some efficiency and strength and she's good to go even without crazy mod setups.

You're still reliant on guns to kill things which if you want to kill stuff with powers, yeah, Mesa/Saryn will be a better choice.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Mesa is only fun when you've worked out how to do peacemakers in the middle of your bullet jump.

Peacemakers in the middle of the bullet jump, delete the room, tap 4 again to get out of it, then aimglide to a soft landing :clint:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Phobophilia posted:

Archwing liftoff, melee forward in midair on an upward trajectory, activate 4 while still flying with hilariously fast inertia, brrrrrrt out a passing grineer dropships passengers, exit 4, resummon AW :getin:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Tylana posted:

EDIT : Mesa def does not need Arcane Energize. She does need a decent efficency/duration, and hotkeying energy pizzas is a good plan once you hit the point you can have a stash of those. Notably she's also the only one of those three that's immune to harpoons (with her 3 up) so I also find her good for just trying out new weapons because if I need to suddenly kill something I can just shout IT'S HIGH NOON and delete them.

I said arcane energize out of hand but she at least needs some kind of fix for the terrible early game energy economy. Pizzas, dethcube, digdog, zenurik, whatever, but if all you can bring is continuity and streamline, Mesa just doesn’t work.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I watched a YouTube about all the warframes and out of the ones he rated highest those interested me the most because I like to shoot aliens but I also like Supporting and healing allies. If there's another frame that would fit better please tell me. And is buying frames with Play really really bad? Just once? I've been playing off and on since the start just never really stuck. I have stuff like Ash Prime, Ember, Volt and such but they're kinda...generic unless I'm wrong?

Mesa possibly making the game boring is something I would worry about.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RBX posted:

And is buying frames with Play really really bad? Just once?

I mean it's your money, and the game is free to play. We just know how (technically) easy those frames are to get in the long run.

I, for example, bought Harrow and never regretted it. But after 1k hours played I would regret buying any of your proposed 3.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm definitely guilty of buying frames and rushing stuff because I'm impatient and want to play with stuff on the weekends. I think the main reason that people recommend against it is that they're pretty expensive compared to stuff you generally use plat for like reactors and formas. If you're the type to splash on a plat pack when you get a good coupon, they're not too rough. It's paying for convenience, which is preference. Mesa's grind isn't too rough, but I could see buying her rather than loving with Mutalist Alad V.

It heavily varies frame to frame whether it's worth it. I don't think most folks would judge you for buying Harrow, for example. If you're going to buy a frame that has a Prime, just buy the parts on the market, it's usually cheaper.

If Ash Prime is boring, it's probably a matter of build. He's not super effective, but I enjoy him when stuff needs stabbing. He's got two major tricks, one is Blade Storm (his 4) and the other is Teleport with the Fatal Teleport build. Teleporting around and stabbing dudes like a cloud of ninjas is not to be underestimated for fun. He's amazing at the Arena missions on Sedna, even on Steel Path.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

It sounds like you want wisp. Ropalolyst isn’t that hard and drops some unique mods too. If it wasn’t for Zephyr, I’d play wisp more. I like any frame that has interaction with parkour.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if anything I'd just ask around about how much of a pain farming a specific frame is before you buy a thing

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

hypnophant posted:

I said arcane energize out of hand but she at least needs some kind of fix for the terrible early game energy economy. Pizzas, dethcube, digdog, zenurik, whatever, but if all you can bring is continuity and streamline, Mesa just doesn’t work.
The solution to the early game energy economy is the same as it's always been: Get Fleeting Expertise ASAP.

You can buy it off other players for like 10-15 plat these days and it doesn't take long to just farm it either. It should be one of your top priorities.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

The solution to the early game energy economy is the same as it's always been: Get Fleeting Expertise ASAP.

You can buy it off other players for like 10-15 plat these days and it doesn't take long to just farm it either. It should be one of your top priorities.

Fleeting Expertise doesn't help frames like Mesa a lot. And makes you have to reapply your buffs more. Honestly Flow for not losing energy from orbs is probably going to help you more in that case.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok thanks guys. For reference in the "story" I'm only just got the first junction or relay to the next planet from Earth? Whatever the beginning is is where I'm at. Not at home to check.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tylana posted:

Fleeting Expertise doesn't help frames like Mesa a lot. And makes you have to reapply your buffs more.
You can run Narrow Minded on her to get tons of extra duration to offset the drawback because none of her skills benefit from ability range. Duration isn't a particularly bad drawback because a lot of mods boost it, and by a lot, including Constitution which is a really good mod for any build that's not intentionally tanking duration.

FE + Streamline makes your skills cost 25% of base which makes everything drastically easier until you get Arcane Energize.

flatluigi posted:

if anything I'd just ask around about how much of a pain farming a specific frame is before you buy a thing
IMO only frames that are unusually awful to farm are Harrow, Nidus, Equinox, and Grendel.

(Khora is time-consuming but SO is good for affinity farming frames anyway so you can at least get it while doing something that it makes sense to be doing for other reasons.)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBX posted:

Ok thanks guys. For reference in the "story" I'm only just got the first junction or relay to the next planet from Earth? Whatever the beginning is is where I'm at. Not at home to check.

Oh you are super early in the game. Do yourself a favor and don't look up what happens in the story.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RBX posted:

Yeah, you're crazy early.

You've got really limited options at that point, but if you're looking for support? Getting Vauban out of Nightwave may be a good pick. He used to be crappy, but these days he's a really strong pick for anything defensive. You also theoretically have access to Gara (the Earth open world) and Oberon (if you hitch a ride on somebody else's Railjack) who have buffy/healy stuff.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mesadoram posted:

Oh you are super early in the game. Do yourself a favor and don't look up what happens in the story.

Yeah, it'd be a shame if he found out that Snape is Darth Vader and he killed Aeris' mother, Aerith, also known as the Lotus

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The lotus was the orbiter the whole time. Ordis was her other personality. Everyone could see that from a mile away.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The real antagonist is Railjack.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Screaming Idiot posted:

The real protagonist is Lunaro.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Screaming Idiot posted:

:hmmyes:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Prop Wash posted:

Yes, but I can’t put Nidus/Zephyr and Protea on the same frame. I can put Gara on a frame, and it accomplishes those multiple effects. Also, it restores far more energy than Dispensary, even with equilibrium.

As for the Aggro/CC aspects, I’ve found it to be very effective in that role. I think you’re underselling its effectiveness. It’s certainly not a “trap.”

No real argument on augments though - they need to be removed from the game, especially now that new frames come off the line with abilities that incorporate traditional “augment” roles (I.e. Protea grenades that can already restore shields on hold-cast)

IIRC Spectrorage's "lure" is also unaffected, or at least has some effectiveness on, things that are normally immune to CC effects, such as mobs being shielded under an Arby drone. So there's that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBX posted:

I watched a YouTube about all the warframes and out of the ones he rated highest those interested me the most because I like to shoot aliens but I also like Supporting and healing allies. If there's another frame that would fit better please tell me. And is buying frames with Play really really bad? Just once? I've been playing off and on since the start just never really stuck. I have stuff like Ash Prime, Ember, Volt and such but they're kinda...generic unless I'm wrong?

Mesa possibly making the game boring is something I would worry about.

For reference on how Mesa works:
Her 4 button puts her into "Peacemaker stance" where she stands in place and can't move, and rapid-fire autoaims her revolvers at anything inside a (very large) reticle on your screen. You can mod them to do ridiculous damage and firerate, so that playing Mesa in anything but the highest-level content involves tapping 4 and then watching everything on your screen die of extreme lead overdose over the next 0.3 seconds.

Despite being a gun-themed frame, Mesa isn't really about your own guns very much, she's more about her own Peacemakers. They're very strong but depending on what kind of player you are you might get pretty bored with the autoaim thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I am Railjack, and I have come for your blood, Tenno scum!

*boss music plays*

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Get wukong he's the best! You can get the blueprints from the dojo. Need some niatin extract though which might be hard if you don't have any night wave credits.

Edit: if you're on earth probs can't get argon crystals either. Ooof

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You could certainly do worse than buying wisp at the start. Not the hardest frame to grind by any means, but you do have to go through most of the story to get her and her motes provide incredible utility for their energy cost.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That being said, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you spend that plat on anything but slots and potatoes

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kesper North posted:

They're all good frames but Saryn and Wisp are harder to build as a newbie imo.

Distilling extractors on saturn are a good investment once you cleared the node for reasons relatating to hexenon!

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
I just reinstalled this the other day on a whim after quitting years ago. I thought the story was nuts back then but holy gently caress, did that go off the rails. I love it.

Also for some reason all my focus points are gone? Or rather the points are still there but nothing's unlocked. They seem to have changed the focus trees quite a bit so I'll have to figure that out. Looks like no more easy infinite energy for me.

I think the last frame I saw them release was Harrow. Are any of the ones that came after him particularly fun?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RBX posted:

At that stage, absolutely don't platbuy frames, get slots so you can hold more things. absolutely don't platbuy normal frames instead of Primes, they'll cost morein most cases.

Also, get in the clan and people can help you farm Mesa the normal way, somebody probably has keys lying around.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Keksen posted:

I just reinstalled this the other day on a whim after quitting years ago. I thought the story was nuts back then but holy gently caress, did that go off the rails. I love it.

Also for some reason all my focus points are gone? Or rather the points are still there but nothing's unlocked. They seem to have changed the focus trees quite a bit so I'll have to figure that out. Looks like no more easy infinite energy for me.

I think the last frame I saw them release was Harrow. Are any of the ones that came after him particularly fun?

At some point the focus tree was reworked. If you set Zenurik as your active school, the middle node and one next to it related to energy, including the 'Dash to make a bubble of energy regen' one. You do not have to hop into spoiler mode to get the passives running either (though some do only apply to spoiler mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

Distilling extractors on saturn are a good investment once you cleared the node for reasons relatating to hexenon!

Jupiter, surely. Saturn is nice for rare bonus OCells, but Jupiter is the only Hexenon source.