Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

neonchameleon posted:

I thought building something like that was normal? There's even a treasure demon to encourage it. Also there's an option in the menu so that your starting Persona remains your active one regardless of who you ended the fight as rather than your active remaining the fight ender.
I don't think I've ever had a Persona with NO active spells before, but I definitely have designed one to start battles with all the the "Auto-Kaja" skills for every modern Persona game I've played.

Also, is that a new feature for Royal? I don't remember it being in base P5, but I could also just be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think I've ever had a Persona with NO active spells before, but I definitely have designed one to start battles with all the the "Auto-Kaja" skills for every modern Persona game I've played.

Also, is that a new feature for Royal? I don't remember it being in base P5, but I could also just be stupid.

It was in the base game too. I made a similar Arsene as a starter persona and I wouldn’t put in the effort if that wasn’t the case.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Just entered the third semester. Evil Akechi is way better

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the Persona 5 anime just a literal adaptation of the game story? Is it worth watching

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the Persona 5 anime just a literal adaptation of the game story? Is it worth watching
Yes and no, in that order. Not because it's a literal adaptation, but because it manages to do so in a way that's boring as sin.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not good as Joker has less of a personality than Yu in P4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can’t really recommend the Persona 5 anime, but if you really wanna watch it, I’d suggest watching the dub because the cast was clearly having a lot of fun with their performances and it somehow made the whole experience kinda enjoyable.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The P4 anime also had the advantage of adapting a PS2 game, so just seeing the story fully animated was a novel enough experience from the original content.

On the other hand, P5 is one of the nicest looking games out there so the anime just can't do it justice. Going the cheap route and reusing the game's 3D models for the bosses and other stuff doesn't exactly help.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm good to know, maybe I'll just watch a clip compilation of the dub.

Meanwhile it's 4/18 and therefore the real Persona 5 action begins... Whatever day I decide to go into the palace I need to finish it or leave. It is the weekend, maybe best to deal with it now

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm good to know, maybe I'll just watch a clip compilation of the dub.

Meanwhile it's 4/18 and therefore the real Persona 5 action begins... Whatever day I decide to go into the palace I need to finish it or leave. It is the weekend, maybe best to deal with it now

just watch the OPs they're the best part.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

🤔
If I start the infiltration today, I'm not gonna have enough lockpicks to get all the chests... but I need materials to craft them anyway. I can delay sending the calling card right?

Edit: if I weren't posting about this I would probably forget lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 18, 2021

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

🤔
If I start the infiltration today, I'm not gonna have enough lockpicks to get all the chests... but I need materials to craft them anyway. I can delay sending the calling card right?

You can't send the calling card until you find the Treasure the first time, and the first dungeon will have a fair number of points where you're forced to return. I say go in now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nice, with the changes to ammo management I can just keep Baton Passing to Ann and have her machine gun everything

Edit: lol I am getting bogged down by this new challenge battle... the real-time rule might force me to leave early even if I don't have to...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 18, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks to the Will Seeds I was able to "one-shot" the palace... I actually used safe room consumables too lol

However, an even more important update... I was able to finally clean my room, after more than a week

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Namnesor posted:

You can't send the calling card until you find the Treasure the first time, and the first dungeon will have a fair number of points where you're forced to return. I say go in now.

The only forced returns during a palace are I believe 2nd and 6th. Everything else can technically be done in one day up til being able to send the calling card.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only forced returns during a palace are I believe 2nd and 6th. Everything else can technically be done in one day up til being able to send the calling card.

9th kicks you out like 3 times.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Has Shadow Shido changed at all in Royal? I remember the original fight being a bit gimmicky but mostly just a slog.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yep! There's a new phase where you have to 1v1 him as Joker and if you lose you have to start the second fight all over from the start, have fun!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sent the calling card today... feels like I've come a long way already. Tomorrow I grab the two locked chests that are left, and fight the boss. Seems straightforward enough!

Gonna reward myself with a Yakisoba Pan on Friday

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Yep! There's a new phase where you have to 1v1 him as Joker and if you lose you have to start the second fight all over from the start, have fun!

It's pretty easy though from what I remember, at that point I think you have Trumpeter? So yeah, just Debilitate and make sure you don't die.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At that point in the game you already have the tools to shatter the difficulty curve.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't know this Twitter account existed but a friend sent me this tweet and it seems relevant to CharlieFoxtrot's playthrough

https://twitter.com/TodayInPersona5/status/1384512175457415170

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I finished Persona 4G the other day, and yea its easily a top 5 RPG for me, but not as good as Persona 5R.

I don't know if I prefer the Persona 4 cast to Persona 5's. I love Kanji, Chie, Naoto, and even Rise was far more interesting than I thought she would be. However Yukiko was just kind of...there, Yusuke has his ups and downs but his downs outweigh his ups, and Teddie is....Teddie....

Also the other social links are more of a mixed bag compared to 5.

Marie is fantastic, as are the Dojima's (Nanako and Ryotaro). I liked Kou.

However Ai and Ayane were dull for me. Sayoko felt like she was going to be this game's Takemi but her social link just fell apart at the end for me. The Fox is, well, a Fox, and the others I didn't really develop.

I did also start to miss the mini-games and activities from Persona 5R. Inaba is a small town with nothing much to do, so for that it fit the theme, but fishing and eating at Aiya gets dull quickly. Also the only special thing you can do with Social Links seems to be taking them to the movies, or the hot springs.

As for the combat, I of course loved it. It's the same basic combat loop from Persona 5, but I very quickly began to miss the quality of life improvements from P5R. Baton Pass, guns, showtimes, ect were all sorely missed. Also the shadow designs begin to repeat themselves, I missed fighting the Arcana Shadows from P5.

I did enjoy the murder mystery plot of P4. It doesn't match the highs of Persona 5 Kamoshida's palace, Sae's palace and the reveal, the Hawaii trip, fighting Shido, the whole third semester but it also doesn't have it's low points. It's just a consistently good tale and the narrative flows nicely.

Overall a fantastic game, but it's still hard to compare it to Persona 5R just because of that game's massive scope and QOL improvements. Also the art style, goddamn I really miss the art style from Persona 5R.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention the dungeons. In Persona 4 they are.....fine. The aesthetics can be pretty or even unique but yea, it's basically mementos but with less to do. By the third dungeon crawl I really, really starting to miss the hand-crafted Palaces from Persona 5.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 20, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think that might actually be the first time I've seen someone mention the Hawaii trip as a high of P5. It just kinda felt like a 'padding' plot part to move things along til the 5th palace.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

However Ai and Ayane were dull for me.

Ai is best girl. :colbert:

I'd say Ayane is, sadly, the better half of that Arcana. Kou vs Daisuke is largely subjective.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think that might actually be the first time I've seen someone mention the Hawaii trip as a high of P5. It just kinda felt like a 'padding' plot part to move things along til the 5th palace.

I loved the bro time scene with Ryuji and Mishima. Also the whole “we spend weeks looking forward to this trip but then end up doing exactly what we would have done at home anyway” vibe is exactly how a trip I took with friends in HS went. So, nostalgia points for me!

*edit*

Also Mishima being that roommate who would never shut the gently caress up about whatever they were reading on the internet.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kawakami in a bikini is a huge plus.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Hawaii trip is peak comedy in Persona 5 and it’s entirely because of Yusuke

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 20, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I liked walking on the beach with Makoto and eating dope food truck food. That’s the best part of Hawaii. It also really conveys how much international plane travel sucks because of jet lag and awful flight times, you can feel how tired they are at the end of the trip.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm not sure I'd call Hawaii a high point of P5, but I did like the whole sequence just as a slice-of-life kinda thing and seeing the thieves just hang out and be goofy teens. FWIW, I also really enjoy the in-between destination scenes in P5S for the same reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

I didn't know this Twitter account existed but a friend sent me this tweet and it seems relevant to CharlieFoxtrot's playthrough

https://twitter.com/TodayInPersona5/status/1384512175457415170

Oh is this all Royal additions too? I noticed Takemi walking by the first time you get to Yongen-Jaya

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh is this all Royal additions too? I noticed Takemi walking by the first time you get to Yongen-Jaya

Yeah, Royal adds some characters you'll meet later in the background of some early scenes. It's pretty fun.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
A bit late in starting p5 Strikers but i'm at the 3rd jail, I still prefer the turn based system but this is a nice change up of gameplay, pretty nice to have the whole cast to start. Just gotta pretend P5R never really happened or is some separate fate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

infraboy posted:

A bit late in starting p5 Strikers but i'm at the 3rd jail, I still prefer the turn based system but this is a nice change up of gameplay, pretty nice to have the whole cast to start. Just gotta pretend P5R never really happened or is some separate fate.

It's weird but I almost felt like Royal set up Strikers better than vanilla did, sort of accidentally. The way Royal ends, it makes even more sense for the cops to be close on the Phantom Thieves' tail all the time, and for the Thieves to have not really kept in touch all that well since they parted ways. Then again maybe that was on purpose, the games do share most of their writing staff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol entering the boss fight with everyone at half SP and having used 6 hp consumables because i got lost trying to find the tower chest and kept on getting one-shotted by high security Beriths

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I ran into a similar thing in this 3rd jail where you can't teleport anywhere or get out but you have a super tanky mofo to fight early on and all my characters were pretty drained.

boss of the 2nd jail I was down to my last character standing fighting with 1/4 boss health left and somehow I beat it by channeling my inner Darksouls. I think it was easier to read what the boss was about to do without the other characters distracting me though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

infraboy posted:

I ran into a similar thing in this 3rd jail where you can't teleport anywhere or get out but you have a super tanky mofo to fight early on and all my characters were pretty drained.

boss of the 2nd jail I was down to my last character standing fighting with 1/4 boss health left and somehow I beat it by channeling my inner Darksouls. I think it was easier to read what the boss was about to do without the other characters distracting me though.
I noticed that a bit with Alice. There were a couple of runs where I was down to just Joker, and I found that I was dodging much better with only one character to worry about; I knew where all her attacks were going.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/20: Remembering that Persona is a game about buffs and debuffs made the first palace boss simple even with half SP for everyone (it also helped that I watched a streamer struggle with the fight a few weeks ago lol)

Also every time I hear this song it tugs at the heartstrings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFZHBK2lTs

Relaxed after a job well done by watching non-infringing X-Files

Morgana a bit too relaxed imo

(Thinking about what stats to work on first, I'm thinking Guts and Kindness? I also need Knowledge for exams right? The other two can wait I suppose)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 21, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also every time I hear this song it tugs at the heartstrings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFZHBK2lTs

It is one of the my favorite tracks in the game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers combat is surprisingly fun in 1-on-1, just for funsies I fought Power Ranger Tony Stark with solo Joker and had blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/21: "Sealed the contract" with Takemi. Meanwhile Morgana agrees that I should work on Kindness first.

But most importantly: the origin of Joker's Kitchen

Can't wait for my first "Coffee Fact"