Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I never said that what she said was wrong. In fact, I literally said the opposite.

Like, I get you're upset that cops disproportionately target BIPOC. I am too, that's why it's frustrating that this now is a factor in the appeals filing.

It's a factor because of racism, not because what she said was wrong or the timing of what she said.

I realize you don't think she was wrong. You're still buying into her having done anything wrong at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

This is central time, correct?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Quick is usually a conviction but all bets are off since this is a cop.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is central time, correct?

Correct

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Quick is usually a conviction but all bets are off since this is a cop.

OJ Simpson would like a word with you.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I expected them to get hung up on the murder 3 charge for a few days so I'm expecting a full acquittal disaster or they actually stuck the murder 3.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

they say you can't predict based on timing, but this feels like it has to be guilty on at least one charge. this wasn't enough time to be a hung jury and i pray to all merciful god that they can't possibly unanimously acquit

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/AlexMillerNews/status/1384592133236183042

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

IT BURNS posted:

OJ Simpson would like a word with you.

Hopefully that word is 'usually' and we can talk about how you don't understand what it means.

But I'm prepared to eat my words I have always thought a Chauvin acquittal was at least 50% likely.

Also apparently the data doesn't back me up.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

That's not a good sign. :ohdear: Hopefully that's just a general precaution and not a precaution of "people are gonna riot because Chauvin has been acquitted."

E: Link to live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm48swwALnc

vv That's good to hear.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 20, 2021

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Velocity Raptor posted:

That's not a good sign. :ohdear: Hopefully that's just a general precaution and not a precaution of "people are gonna riot because Chauvin has been acquitted."

It’s normal. They do not know the verdict, but they are taking precautions. We have seen courthouses do similar things around the country for less high-profile cases where they thought there might be riots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Link to live stream:

I’d be genuinely shocked if he was acquitted. The prosecution did a mostly great job and had the cops testifying against him.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Definitely a precaution, my office is doing it too

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I’d be genuinely shocked if he was acquitted. The prosecution did a mostly great job and had the cops testifying against him.

Yea, I agree with this. The biggest question is the murder 2 charge. But even that, I feel like was covered well enough by the state to have everyone say "nope" this quickly.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I mean given what CNN said of the makeup of the trial, that the jury had at least a few medical professionals on it, you'd figure that the defense's "don't trust the medical professionals" defense kind of fell flat on its face.

I think we were all expecting a hung jury, for there to at least be one "well my brother's a cop and Blue Lives Matter" types and one "George Floyd could have been me or my brother" person, for them to never be able to form a unanimous agreement.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The tension is horrible. Please, please, please convict. Please convict on at least one charge; a man was murdered in broad daylight, on camera, in front of a crowd. He cannot be acquitted.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Do we want to set up a pool to see how long it takes chuds to wail about decorum if a guilty verdict is reached and people are happy about it?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
They'll find him super-innocent and declare him King Cop.

Parade soon to follow.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
There will definitely be a parade that's for sure

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jaxyon posted:

When was a "good time" for her to express her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day?
literally the instant the verdict is delivered lol. absolutely no one ITT is objecting to the content of what she said

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Hopefully that word is 'usually' and we can talk about how you don't understand what it means.

But I'm prepared to eat my words I have always thought a Chauvin acquittal was at least 50% likely.

Also apparently the data doesn't back me up.

Hopefully you can maybe...chill at an innocuous post on the internet?

My prediction is that he's more likely to be convicted of manslaughter and acquitted on the other two charges than convicted of all three or acquitted of all three.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gaupo Guacho posted:

literally the instant the verdict is delivered lol. absolutely no one ITT is objecting to the content of what she said

Nah they're buying into the racist framing that she somehow did anything wrong.

Which is super loving dumb.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

maxine waters is a loving dumbass

o rly

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jaxyon posted:

Nah they're buying into the racist framing that she somehow did anything wrong.

Which is super loving dumb.

o rly
I can call whomever I want to a dumbass without your insinuations that im a racist lmao. im not even white

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think there would have ever been a 'good time' for Waters to opine on Chauvin without racists* screeching about "adding fuel to the fire". The right-wing hate-o-sphere has already spun them up to have a knee jerk reaction to anything she says and does.

* I'm specifically referring to people like Mike Lester, Michael Ramirez, Boebert, etc. and not anyone ITT.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I can call whomever I want to a dumbass without your insinuations that im a racist lmao. im not even white

I said, flat out, that you're buying racist framings.

Maybe deal with that instead of spending so much time explaining how you're very not racist and nobody can tell you what to say.

Waters isn't a dumbass and she said a completely OK thing at a completely OK time and literally every word that comes out of her mouth is made into a problem by a vast white supremacist media machine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe deal with that instead of spending so much time explaining how you're very not racist and nobody can tell you what to say.

Waters isn't a dumbass and she said a completely OK thing at a completely OK time and literally every word that comes out of her mouth is made into a problem by a vast white supremacist media machine.

How does someone win this argument with you in a way that isn't "you're so right Jaxyon, I guess I'll go inspect my biases now. Thanks for being right!"?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I think Maxine Waters made a remark that could inflame the situation and was dumb considering the circumstances, even if I agree with the message. And that doesn't make me or anyone else a racist or buying into right wing propaganda.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

How does someone win this argument with you in a way that isn't "you're so right Jaxyon, I guess I'll go inspect my biases now. Thanks for being right!"?

It's not about winning arguments and the fact that you see it this way is pretty telling.

But I can tell you that explaining how ridiculous it is that anyone could possible see anything you did as wrong or racist sure isn't going to do it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think Maxine Waters made a remark that could inflame the situation and was dumb considering the circumstances, even if I agree with the message. And that doesn't make me or anyone else a racist or buying into right wing propaganda.

Opening her mouth at all inflames the situation because racists are ready to go off no matter what she says.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Maxine Waters is the members of the people who are the victims. We really gotta stop giving weight to the "Well the victims are angry there's been absolutely no consequences so we need to give leniency to the perpetrator" crap. That is a problem.

Regardless of her timing, her message was valid, but it was a message that was only just an echo of messages already prevalent in the very community around this miscarriage of justice.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
If he is found guilty today, will he also be sentenced today? I don't know how this works.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Skyarb posted:

If he is found guilty today, will he also be sentenced today? I don't know how this works.

Within 90 days, typically, according to google.

quote:

Typically, sentencing will take place ninety days after a guilty plea or guilty verdict. Prior to sentencing, the judge must calculate the applicable guidelines range. The Sentencing Guidelines are a set of rules which apply in federal sentencing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Skyarb posted:

No, sentencing is usually at a later date.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So I'm not sure if I'm messing up time zones, but the verdict should be read in about 5 minutes right?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ryde posted:

So I'm not sure if I'm messing up time zones, but the verdict should be read in about 5 minutes right?

Nope, you've got it right. Starting in a couple of minutes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maxine was wrong because she was way too soft by just saying take it to the streets

if chauvin is acquitted we need to 1968 this shithole country and then keep going

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ryde posted:

Any time in the next 30 minutes.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
"Hey we need to interview someone about how they feel about this verdict, who should we get?"

"I know, I'll interview this random white girl who will talk about how the real victim of this verdict could be tourism".

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I just heard that the juror's names will eventually be released? I thought they were kept anonymous in perpetuity.
Is this normal? I'm kind of worried, assuming they convict - especially of the more appropriate crimes - that the pigs might retaliate.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

maxine was wrong because she was way too soft by just saying take it to the streets

if chauvin is acquitted we need to 1968 this shithole country and then keep going

I'd rather not go back to Nixon again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Skyarb posted:

"Hey we need to interview someone about how they feel about this verdict, who should we get?"

"I know, I'll interview this random white girl who will talk about how the real victim of this verdict could be tourism".

:laffo: I stopped listening after about 5 seconds, so I didn't even know that's what she was talking about.

E:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I just heard that the juror's names will eventually be released? I thought they were kept anonymous in perpetuity.
Is this normal? I'm kind of worried, assuming they convict - especially of the more appropriate crimes - that the pigs might retaliate.
It's normal. The judge releases them when he deems it's "safe" (either months or years). The jurors were all warned about this during jury selection and the ones who said they would still feel unsafe were dismissed by the judge