Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fister Roboto posted:

Great news, but the pessimist in me can't help but feel that Chauvin is just going to be a whipping boy for the entire system, and the takeaway from all this is going to be "actually, the police and justice system work perfectly fine".

If the justice system would like to prosecute more murderous sadists with badges to convince me it's working I will accept this.

Gonna need to be a lot of them though, we have kind of an infestation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hopefully this is the first of many convictions of police brutality, leading to less instances of police brutality in the future. Cops need to stop feeling superior. They need to stop feeling invincible.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Fister Roboto posted:

Great news, but the pessimist in me can't help but feel that Chauvin is just going to be a whipping boy for the entire system, and the takeaway from all this is going to be "actually, the police and justice system work perfectly fine".

Yeah can’t help but wonder if it’s the publicity that did him in, and that he’s just being made an example of. Need to see longer term sustainable changes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

At least we got a whipping boy out of it. There will probably be more police violence tonight.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Lol owned gently caress me for overthinking it

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
It seems that when it came to the police...
:cool:
Chauvin crossed the line.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Scholtz posted:

Hopefully this is the first of many convictions of police brutality, leading to less instances of police brutality in the future. Cops need to stop feeling superior. They need to stop feeling invincible.

Absolutely this.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I guess the takeaway is that this conviction was necessary and correct but also there’s a lot to still do.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Now the rest of those loving cops there complicit in his murder need to go to trial next. Then that fucker in Kenosha.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Hell yeah, I was expecting the manslaughter charge and a light sentence at best like the Oscar Grant shooting, but guilty on all 3 counts floored me. I know this isn't a change in and of itself but good news in regards to all the brutality in the last week or two that's happened.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Popete posted:

When is sentencing? I didn't hear.

8 weeks until sentencing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The US legal system is pure barbarism, but if it has to exist, it's at least nice to see it turned against a barbarian once in a while.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Hello new Facebook banner image

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

and on a sad but totally unrelated note, I just found out on Twitter that Tosh.0 got cancelled

gently caress :smith:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it does say something that we are so relieved that they came to the conclusion anyone with eyes could have. things seem to be changing in this country, but god drat do we have so far to go if this is a victory

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

syntaxrigger posted:

8 weeks until sentencing.

And he gets to sit in jail for every moment of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9iuZu0AI

have a 100 year old song from my own people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMQQp6w98c
and the modern from the american ashkenazi

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
What a relief, a small amount of faith restored in this country.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

bye bitch die in prison

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

and on a sad but totally unrelated note, I just found out on Twitter that Tosh.0 got cancelled

gently caress :smith:

Like last November.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the on the street interviewees on MSNBC put it best when they asked her about how they felt about the verdict, "I can breath now."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thank gently caress. I don't know what I would have done if that bastard had walked. Glad to be wrong about the jury getting him off :unsmith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

How can he have two counts of murder?
I was kind of wondering that myself? Also, if 2nd Degree Murder means he committed Murder while committing another felony, then technically what is the other felony?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jiro posted:

Like last November.

SEPTember actually, but yeah

I hope it finds new life elsewhere, hell even if it’s on Netflix. Tosh.0 owns and I hate to see it die

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Poor cops, they don't even get to enjoy Hitler's birthday this year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whatever CHAUVIN GUILTY gently caress YES :woop:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t think my heart started beating again until they slapped the cuffs on him. It’s a drop in the sea, but right now it’s sorely needed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it does say something that we are so relieved that they came to the conclusion anyone with eyes could have. things seem to be changing in this country, but god drat do we have so far to go if this is a victory

It is just one step but seeing it happen makes it easier to take the following steps

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I was kind of wondering that myself? Also, if 2nd Degree Murder means he committed Murder while committing another felony, then technically what is the other felony?

Felony assault.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/scanmapchi/status/1384615870471630848

:lol:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This obviously didn’t solve the problem, but this is definitely the Good Timeline way for things to go down. I can’t even loving imagine how bad things would have been if he’d walked.

But I don’t have to! Time to enjoy a muffin.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

Felony assault.
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask in here. Also:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1384617783254716426

You know you hosed up when Jeanine goddamn Pirro says "Yes that cop is guilty of everything"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I really hope they don't reveal the jury members' identities for a long time. Lotta angry chuds and police with chips on their shoulder out there

owns

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Chauvin had a long history of being a bully in uniform, so this is long overdue.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fox News blaming the political climate or joe biden for the unfair verdict?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Crazy Ted posted:

That's the first time I've seen the concept of "murder while committing a felony" brought into the definition of 2nd degree murder.. I agree that the phrasing makes applying that to the George Floyd murder difficult to comprehend.

What i've often seen is a definition of "any intentional murder with malice, but not pre-meditated or planned".. in that context it's alot easier to understand how you could argue it applies to Chauvin, where you can't really argue that he pre-determined to kill George Floyd but you can argue that his actions show that he did breach that line where he can be said to have intended to kill Floyd as the situation developed.

**I think the whole "murdered someone while committing a felony" is something they tacked on at one point to punish people who (basically) accidently killed someone else while doing something dangerous.. like the example you hear of robbing a bank and accidently running over a pedestrian with the getaway car being something that will get you a 2nd degree murder conviction.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 20, 2021

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

This obviously didn’t solve the problem, but this is definitely the Good Timeline way for things to go down. I can’t even loving imagine how bad things would have been if he’d walked.

But I don’t have to! Time to enjoy a muffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I still believe this only happened because so many police testified against him - From trainers to supervisors.