Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean the whole "magical realm" thing is gross because it's without the players' consent. If everyone's into it then who gives a poo poo, but if you're a hugely influential figure in the field broadcasting that it's okay to rope your players into your fetishes without asking then that makes the whole environment less safe even if you personally aren't the danger.

If you're very charitable I suppose you could read that anecdote earlier either way, but I'm not especially inclined to be charitable here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

admanb posted:

tbh the fact that Greenwood has not been MeToo'ed yet makes me think that while he's definitely a fuckin' weirdo that puts way too much of his Magical Realm in everything he writes he's probably not a predator.

He was, but before MeToo was a thing.

His thing was being a sex pest at cons, IIRC. There was one specific example where he approached a teen fan about putting his mouth on her breasts, but googling "Ed Greenwood breasts" is working as well as you'd expect.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He went to bat for Beamdog over the Mizneha controversy which was pretty good
I mean he did but its not exactly what I would call a great defense considering it starts off with:,

quote:

Folks, the Realms have ALWAYS had characters (mortals and deities) who crossdressed, changed gender (and not just to sneak past guards in an adventure, by way of shapeshifting magic or illusions), were actively bisexual, and openly gay.

And his defense gets arguably worst as it goes on.

moths posted:

He was, but before MeToo was a thing.

His thing was being a sex pest at cons, IIRC. There was one specific example where he approached a teen fan about putting his mouth on her breasts, but googling "Ed Greenwood breasts" is working as well as you'd expect.
Try looking for his own words. I remember the first time I heard about it was because Ed Greenwood himself was admitting to it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 18, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Ed Greenwood, in the goldmined grogs thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=831#post389140866

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 18, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MadScientistWorking posted:

I mean he did but its not exactly what I would call a great defense considering it starts off with:,

And his defense gets arguably worst as it goes on.

Try looking for his own words. I remember the first time I heard about it was because Ed Greenwood himself was admitting to it.

So he's like Richard Stallman in that he is bizarrely fine with bringing up sex in public situations? I haven't read it all(I yet but drat Eddie. "Hello 15 year old, My wife uses my beard for femdom"!" is quite the opener. :confuoot: Has he tried to pull a Mike Z("I have autism how was I supposed to know") over any callouts?

quote:

she's taken her measure of a lot of men in Waterdeep, and decided the man who raised her is the best, and she'll have HIM, thank-you-very-much

W-woody? :stare:

----

quote:

but if you're a hugely influential figure in the field broadcasting that it's okay to rope your players into your fetishes without asking

Not married to this position but how much does broadcasting really effect the hobby? Most DnD players fundamentally misunderstand DnD and go against the books teachings on a regular basis. Not unlike Warhammer fans who don't understand the "your dudes" ideal of the hobby.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
If we were grading the act of making young female fans feel unsafe / uncomfortable on a scale, I feel like Ed Greenwood would get labeled "perverted sex weirdo trapped in late 70s swinger culture-era sensibilities" rather than "habitual sexual predator"

Reasonable people don't do that, though, because intent matters less than impact and he should probably get therapy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Froghammer posted:

If we were grading the act of making young female fans feel unsafe / uncomfortable on a scale, I feel like Ed Greenwood would get labeled "perverted sex weirdo trapped in late 70s swinger culture-era sensibilities" rather than "habitual sexual predator"

Reasonable people don't do that, though, because intent matters less than impact and he should probably get therapy

If someone is consistently making young female fans feel unsafe/uncomfortable due to constantly talking about their sex obsession, then they are a sexual harasser

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Ed was writing FR canon at age 8?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

hyphz posted:

Ed was writing FR canon at age 8?

Given the state of some of FR canon, this does not shock me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
He started playing around with the setting at age 8 as a sort of paracosmic, worldbuilding-without-intent kind of activity, eventually using it as the settings for short stories he'd write as he got older.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Piell posted:

If someone is consistently making young female fans feel unsafe/uncomfortable due to constantly talking about their sex obsession, then they are a sexual harasser
Agreed. This is unacceptable behavior for interacting with people any way you slice it

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
lol are you pale loving pseudo-twitter worms going to post a single piece of evidence?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Actually, it's about ethics in elfgames journalism

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I mean, if a group of consenting adults sign up to play Forgotten Realms: Sex Romp Edition, good for them.

...but there are quotes from Greenwood himself literally bragging about how he sprang his fap material on people (some of them potentially minors) at cons, which makes him a sex pest at best. It's not like 'evidence' is hard to find, it's literally right there in this thread!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So he's like Richard Stallman in that he is bizarrely fine with bringing up sex in public situations? I haven't read it all(I yet but drat Eddie. "Hello 15 year old, My wife uses my beard for femdom"!" is quite the opener. :confuoot: Has he tried to pull a Mike Z("I have autism how was I supposed to know") over any callouts?

You know with the pedophilia apologism its more than apt you think. o.O Also for the probated rear end hat who couldn't be bothered to look up anything here's the direct quote from the primary source:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=53
Why the gently caress are you using historical realism to argue in putting grooming and rape into your setting?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

MadScientistWorking posted:

You know with the pedophilia apologism its more than apt you think. o.O Also for the probated rear end hat who couldn't be bothered to look up anything here's the direct quote from the primary source:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=53
Why the gently caress are you using historical realism to argue in putting grooming and rape into your setting?

This is a very long forum page and the ones from Greenwood proper are also long. Can you point out/quote any specific sections? Forgive me if I don't have the time and energy to manually scroll through.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ed Greenwood posted:

Although overly aggressive butch lesbian behaviour and over-the-top prancing ‘mincing’ gay male behaviour both strike me as ridiculous, the relationships underlying them (including the physical sides of such relationships) do not. When the lesbians who happen to own the cottage four down from mine go out on their dock at dusk to make love, I don’t yell angrily at them, ridicule them, or rudely watch them, but if I happen to be out on my point (which is high enough to overlook their dock), I’ll smile and wave at first sight and then carry on as if they’re not doing anything. This has led to them in turn casually accepting my distant presence: they usually make love, then plunge in for a dip that includes lots of splashing and laughter, and then they climb back out on the dock to dry off (if the night’s too cold or mosquito-ridden for that, it’s on with the towels and back inside). Either way, they usually wave and call “good night” as they go.

Here's him sexually preying on his neighbors and being a disgusting homophobe in general.

Ed Greenwood posted:

For example, in the case of Mirt and Asper, I wanted to show a Realms instance of something that happened many times in real-world past history: a young ward growing up to genuinely love her much older guardian (yes, I’m well aware that there were even more real-world instances of guardians forcing themselves on their wards, or marrying them over their objections). I’ve written a story that you’ll probably never see (because it does include several explicit love scenes) wherein Mirt uncomfortably rebuffs his increasingly amorous ‘little girl,’ and succeeds only in driving the past-puberty-and-in-the-thrall-of-raging-hormones Asper to seduce him: she’s taken her measure of a lot of men in Waterdeep, and decided the man who raised her is the best, and she’ll have HIM, thank-you-very-much.

Here's the pedo/incest kinks on proud display.

Ed Greenwood's Players posted:

Ed can parody the mincing male homosexual with devastating verve while DMing,

...and some more homophobia.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Some of those quotes just sound like he's running Curse of Hearts or the Book of Queer Villains.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

When is that mincing stuff from? Like I don't expect Greenwood to have changed much but if it was something he was doing back in the 1980's it's different from still doing it today (Not that this matters much in the face of Elminster's White Panel Van.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libertad! posted:

This is a very long forum page and the ones from Greenwood proper are also long. Can you point out/quote any specific sections? Forgive me if I don't have the time and energy to manually scroll through.
Sorry about that. I meant to provide the link to cite the quotes from Grognards.txt post which didn't list the forum where all that creepy as all hell stuff was from. Also, to answer the question as to when it was coming from this was around the turn off the millennium so early 2000's.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
The lesbian thing makes me really think that Ed Greenwood is another Richard Stallman or Moviebob situation where he's unaware of how his behaviour looks to most people around him. "Heh heh, the gays near me sometimes gently caress near me and naturally, as a non bigot who respects the lifestyles of anyone, I dont make a big deal out of it, I'm a gentleman :3" is too weirdly earnest. It feels to me like he wasn't writing that as a "heh heh heh heh heh heh heh some lesbians bang near my house, isnt that awesome" and more as a really really really really bad way to virtue signal and if that's the case, he simply doesn't understand why that would be an oopsie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The lesbian thing makes me really think that Ed Greenwood is another Richard Stallman or Moviebob situation where he's unaware of how his behaviour looks to most people around him. "Heh heh, the gays near me sometimes gently caress near me and naturally, as a non bigot who respects the lifestyles of anyone, I dont make a big deal out of it, I'm a gentleman :3" is too weirdly earnest. It feels to me like he wasn't writing that as a "heh heh heh heh heh heh heh some lesbians bang near my house, isnt that awesome" and more as a really really really really bad way to virtue signal and if that's the case, he simply doesn't understand why that would be an oopsie.

"I only peep on them with opera glasses. I keep it classy."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Love to live next door to a constantly repeating softcore lesbian romance movie from like 2005. "Want to go have sun-dappled dock sex?" "Come on, can't we just do it in bed? We've been married for like 20 years." "If we aren't constantly reaffirming our love by getting lake grime and oily boat residue on our asses in full view of that weird hill wizard, I don't even know what sort of relationship this is anymore."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theironjef posted:

Love to live next door to a constantly repeating softcore lesbian romance movie from like 2005. "Want to go have sun-dappled dock sex?" "Come on, can't we just do it in bed? We've been married for like 20 years." "If we aren't constantly reaffirming our love by getting lake grime and oily boat residue on our asses in full view of that weird hill wizard, I don't even know what sort of relationship this is anymore."

maybe they just really want to be ogled by an old pervert

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

theironjef posted:

Maybe Wilson from Home Improvement was on one of their celebrity freebie lists.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, what are the odds we’ll see an Elminster plainswalker card in the D&D MtG set

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

So, what are the odds we’ll see an Elminster plainswalker card in the D&D MtG set

Eight different Elminsters, including gender-swapped and creepy child versions.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

100%.

edit: oh, wait, Planeswalker? Low, I would guess. There are plenty of extremely powerful mages in Magic that aren't Planeswalkers and I'm guessing they'll just make him a high-power legend.

admanb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 20, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Roadie posted:

Eight different Elminsters, including gender-swapped and creepy child versions.

*Pounds fists on table*
BEAR MYSTRA

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I tap Ed Greenwood's Beer Fridge to tap your Elminster.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I tap Ed Greenwood's Beer Fridge to tap your Elminster.

You don't need to get Elminster drunk to tap Elminster.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Elminsters +1 taps any permanent, and it gets an extra loyalty counter if the permanent he taps has a Woman depicted in the artwork.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Ed Greenwood in a single article:

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/local-creep-enthusiastically-sex-positive/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Robin Wood died yesterday. She didn't do a ton of D&D art, but she did some of the best.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Robin Wood died yesterday. She didn't do a ton of D&D art, but she did some of the best.

Aww man. I got that exact issue as a present as a youngster when my parents went on a vacation and had me stay with family friends.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

Aww man. I got that exact issue as a present as a youngster when my parents went on a vacation and had me stay with family friends.
It was one of the issues I had in my early days, too.

Also I am pretty sure I had a tarot deck illustrated by her like 25-30 years ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, the Robin Wood Tarot. Looks like most recently reprinted in 2002, but copies can be found e.g. amazon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

It was one of the issues I had in my early days, too.

Also I am pretty sure I had a tarot deck illustrated by her like 25-30 years ago.

I still have that tarot deck around here somewhere. Her art in that was so good.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still have that tarot deck around here somewhere. Her art in that was so good.

Its back in print but the publisher made an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Videogame related, but I'm sure there will be knock-on effects for the TTRPG side: itch.io now on the Epic Games store.

https://www.polygon.com/22396021/itchio-epic-games-store-windows-pc-apps