Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's only temporary bad news; the article cites the case of the Space Grey Magic Keyboard, which used to only ship with the iMac Pro as of December 2017, but was made available separately only three months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

I'm not sure if there are any HQ renders out there but this is what they showed for 2 seconds during the presentation

rare colors of those are gonna be worth a gorillion dollars on eBay in 10 years

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TACD posted:

Wait are the new iMacs fanless?

The presentation showed two small fans located in the chin.

I know that they want to be as thin as possible since it's one of their design philosophies, but I did really like the speculative renders prior to the unveiling that looked like thicker iPads and had no chin. I think the iMac could be two or three times as thick and people wouldn't really care? Again, just nitpicking though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

rare colors of those are gonna be worth a gorillion dollars on eBay in 10 years

The batteries will be fried by then.

If the numpad keyboard with Touch ID isn’t a $200+ accessory I’ll be surprised

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Thanks Ants posted:

The batteries will be fried by then.

They'll still work as a wired keyboard. All the modern magic keyboards with lithium ion batteries do, they even turn off the bluetooth radio and become a USB keyboard (which afaik you can plug into anything that wants a USB keyboard).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SUNKOS posted:

The presentation showed two small fans located in the chin.

I know that they want to be as thin as possible since it's one of their design philosophies, but I did really like the speculative renders prior to the unveiling that looked like thicker iPads and had no chin. I think the iMac could be two or three times as thick and people wouldn't really care? Again, just nitpicking though.

correct there are two fans

but dumping the power supply means less heat which means less of a chance of needing to spin them up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BobHoward posted:

They'll still work as a wired keyboard. All the modern magic keyboards with lithium ion batteries do, they even turn off the bluetooth radio and become a USB keyboard (which afaik you can plug into anything that wants a USB keyboard).

And come with a Lightning to USB-C cable (come on Apple drop the loving Lightning connector already) in the box.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Those colours are truly popping but i just can't believe the white bezel/huge chin is the way to go. I guess it needs to look like an iMac.

The inevitable black version will look sick however.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

well why not posted:

Those colours are truly popping but i just can't believe the white bezel/huge chin is the way to go. I guess it needs to look like an iMac.

The inevitable black version will look sick however.

Imagine they make a space grey or black one but still give it a white bezel!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I want airs with these colors but black bezels.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I think it looks epic and I would like to buy a purple one and a matching purple iPhone mini to go with my faggy small hands

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unsung good moves include the emoji key and other 2021-relevant function keys.

Meanwhile PCs still have Scroll Lock and Print Screen huh

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since the rumor is of a possibility that the Touch ID keyboards will not be available for sale individually I contacted Apple Returns on what happens if you buy a new iMac and forget the keyboard in the return box. Took 20 minutes for them to say that they return all incomplete items back to the customer instead of charging for missing items. The guy was probably trolling me by acting dense so I applaud him for that.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
A screenshot button would be nice instead of using a shortcut but "meh". Emoji button is win I didn't know that one

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Unsung good moves include the emoji key and other 2021-relevant function keys.

Meanwhile PCs still have Scroll Lock and Print Screen huh

the dictation key being dedicated is a really good sign for those of us wanting voice control to get better. It's almost as good as Dragon (which I use to dictate books I write for a living) but it's not there yet. So close.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

beergod posted:

But not as good as the MacBook Pro m1? I’m sure with the thermals it will run faster (maybe?). This is just underwhelming to me.

The M1 is the exact same if it’s in a MacBook, a Mac Mini or an iMac. Performance is the same, just choose your form factor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FCKGW posted:

The M1 is the exact same if it’s in a MacBook, a Mac Mini or an iMac. Performance is the same, just choose your form factor.

Thermal throttling is a factor though, it's why the Macbook Pro runs faster than the Macbook Air with the same chip. Better cooling means the chip can be clocked higher even if it's the same functional part. I expect the iMac will have better thermals than the Macbook Pro so will likely be at least even with that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Thermal throttling is a factor though, it's why the Macbook Pro runs faster than the Macbook Air with the same chip. Better cooling means the chip can be clocked higher even if it's the same functional part.

True but that isn’t an issue here since it has fans

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So does the Macbook Pro, but an internal power supply and smaller fans will mean it'll have more heat to deal with than the iMac will with an external power brick and bigger fans.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That only makes sense if you’re thinking like Intel where thermal throttling sets in rather quickly on laptops. The MacBook Pro and Mac Mini don’t throttle at all.

The Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro perform the same at high sustained loads even though one has a smaller enclosure. I would imagine the iMac will as well. The M1 can operate at its max possible speeds with minimal cooling, adding more fans in an iMac may make it run cooler but it’s not going to go any faster, it’s already going as fast as it can.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 21, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

upon looking more closely at the specs page, you will be able to pay extra for gigabit on the low end mac, though i'm not sure how well that value proposition works out:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder if it's just the power brick or if there's an inherent difference in the actual connector on the back that allows for "ethernet via power" that isn't present on the cheaper model. Very weird.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing that gets me is that they made a point of keeping the big chin in order to preserve the iconic profile or whatever and then didn't stick a big Apple logo on it like those big iconic iMac chins have always had. The big Apple logo front and center is actually more consistent across all the iMacs than the chin is.

I don't get this iconic profile business. It's good to have distinct visual identities, but those things are allowed to change. The iPhone is full of great examples of this; it used to be all about the home button with the blank app square icon on it, and then the profile of the rectangular phone with the single button became so iconic they ditched the icon. Now, the iconic iPhone profile is the notched screen, but the notch is only there because it has to be; it's a compromise to have everywhere else basically bezel-free while keeping the display as regular as possible while creating a space for the cameras. Nobody actually likes the notch, and rumour has it it's about to shrink a little, but you can be drat sure if you draw the shape of the notched screen everyone and their mum instantly thinks "iPhone", and if you ask someone to draw an iPhone they're gonna draw that notch, even though iPhones have only had notches for about a quarter of the life of the brand and nobody likes the notch. Some people (myself included) love to speculate about some eventual notch-less all-screen variant with some magic tech that makes it possible, but if you ask people to dream up what the next iPhones could look like, chances are they're still gonna draw a notch, just smaller, probably. The iMac, on the other hand, doesn't actually have this kind of an iconic profile. It is true that all but one of the iMacs have had chins, but nobody cares. If you point this out to people, the reaction is "oh, yeah, I guess?". If you ask people to draw up a redesigned iMac, they will all to a man draw you essentially a giant floating iPad (source: every "leak" about new iMacs for the past several years). Nobody wants the chin (which is not to say that everybody hates it), and it doesn't seem to matter to anyone on any level other than by reference to it happening to have always been there, as though that's a justification for it continuing to be there. What if it wasn't? What if they just didn't?

Oh well. They did. The iMac is gonna sell shittons regardless. Here's hoping for next time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What's to stop Apple from just teasing an iMac Pro at WWDC in an all-black color combo? They could even make the Pro not have the chin at all and have it be all screen since that's a pro thing...I guess?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
gently caress I am going to spend 3k to get an even reasonably prosumer machine without cool colors in 6 months aren't I

I'm...I'm part of the machine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

I wonder if it's just the power brick or if there's an inherent difference in the actual connector on the back that allows for "ethernet via power" that isn't present on the cheaper model. Very weird.

i'd be pretty surprised if it's not just a matter of swapping out the cable personally

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its funny that this convo should come up today because guess what showed up as an option on the M1 Mini with zero fanfare?

10GbE option. I bet its built into the silicon and they didn't have the firmware ready or something like that.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fedule posted:

What if it wasn't? What if they just didn't?

Oh well. They did. The iMac is gonna sell shittons regardless. Here's hoping for next time.

if the chin wasnt there, the new imacs would become notorious for having smudgy screens because most people would directly touch the glass to adjust the angle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where else are you gonna put the post-it note with your password

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i do think the chin could stand to be a little smaller but it's not a big deal to me. would be interesting to see some use from it in some fashion, i guess, maybe, like some kind of front-firing speaker or whatever. i know they do some wankery to make them sound good regardless but i'm not super impressed with the speakers on the 27-inch my so bought last year.

which reminds me: if you happened to buy a lot of 3rd party ram for the 27-inch imac last year there may be some instability in some batches. i think it was owc ram, but we put in 128 gigs and it would fail on certain actions every time, but only when all four sticks were in (in any order, other combinations didn't seem to trigger). a replacement batch fixed the problem; there's a thread on the apple forums about it which was probably helpful in getting the memory replaced pretty much no questions asked.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Binary Badger posted:

It should be noted that the previous iMacs had the power supply inside the machine itself; the M1 iMacs are so thin there's literally no way for them to shove power supply circuitry inside.

Power supplies, by their nature, also generate excess heat.. moving it outside the machine just makes sense.. anyone remember the huge power bricks that used to come with G4 Mac Minis and Apple ADC displays?

Personally, I'm happy they did that because having the power supply inside like that not only added to the heat issues iMacs had but also was something of a safety issue.. you needed to affix a big plastic shield to keep from touching the exposed circuitry of the power supply whenever you worked on one..

Also, yay that they put the Ethernet port in the power brick, that's one less cable that has to be made longer to reach up onto the desk, and also one less tether to worry about when adjusting the iMac screen or its position.

Speaking of Apple Power Bricks...

Honestly the only thing that surprises me about all of this is the didn't offer a display only version of the iMac as a secondary iMac display or a Mac Mini display, it feels like dual displays at home have become incredibly common among the work from home crowd and as we start to move back to the offices like there is an open market for a dual display situation from home that doesn't look like poo poo.

Also no 16GB memory option WTF Apple? The Mac Mini feels continued to be placed as both the "low cost" option and also the only option to many users like me that want to drive dual displays, maintain a relatively attractive look and not have an underpowered computer.

Apple, sell me a blue iMac with a matching secondary display connected only by Thunderbolt with at least 16 GB of RAM. Also throw a Thunderbolt port on that power adaptor. I promise you there are a lot of us looking for a better solution than having a Mac Mini mounted under our desk with a bunch of power cables and adaptors for a dual screen setup.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 21, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Along those lines, I had a Mac mini with an external power supply once... maybe the original G4 one? I remember it was a big deal that they fit the power supply in the mini case the next time around.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mediaphage posted:

i do think the chin could stand to be a little smaller but it's not a big deal to me. would be interesting to see some use from it in some fashion, i guess, maybe, like some kind of front-firing speaker or whatever. i know they do some wankery to make them sound good regardless but i'm not super impressed with the speakers on the 27-inch my so bought last year.

which reminds me: if you happened to buy a lot of 3rd party ram for the 27-inch imac last year there may be some instability in some batches. i think it was owc ram, but we put in 128 gigs and it would fail on certain actions every time, but only when all four sticks were in (in any order, other combinations didn't seem to trigger). a replacement batch fixed the problem; there's a thread on the apple forums about it which was probably helpful in getting the memory replaced pretty much no questions asked.

Phage--if you don't mind, were you using these for build ops?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mediaphage posted:

upon looking more closely at the specs page, you will be able to pay extra for gigabit on the low end mac, though i'm not sure how well that value proposition works out:

USB-3 is the last old style connector, right? (Pre-USB-C)? I can't really tell in the picture.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Three Olives posted:

Speaking of Apple Power Bricks...

Honestly the only thing that surprises me about all of this is the didn't offer a display only version of the iMac as a secondary iMac display or a Mac Mini display, it feels like dual displays at home have become incredibly common among the work from home crowd and as we start to move back to the offices like there is an open market for a dual display situation from home that doesn't look like poo poo.

Also no 16GB memory option WTF Apple? The Mac Mini feels continued to be placed as both the "low cost" option and also the only option to many users like me that want to drive dual displays, maintain a relatively attractive look and not have an underpowered computer.

Apple, sell me a blue iMac with a matching secondary display connected only by Thunderbolt with at least 16 GB of RAM. Also throw a Thunderbolt port on that power adaptor. I promise you there are a lot of us looking for a better solution than having a Mac Mini mounted under our desk with a bunch of power cables and adaptors for a dual screen setup.

It's going to have a 16gb option, it's there in the tech specs if you look. You just can't access the configuration page yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

It's going to have a 16gb option, it's there in the tech specs if you look. You just can't access the configuration page yet.

color matched/coordinated external displays would be amazing tho

especially if we see these or similar colors come to the Air like I’m hoping

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

USB-3 is the last old style connector, right? (Pre-USB-C)? I can't really tell in the picture.

USB3 is the technology, USB-C is the connector.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Phage--if you don't mind, were you using these for build ops?

it gets used for modelling massive data sets

FCKGW posted:

USB3 is the technology, USB-C is the connector.

yeah all ports on the new imacs will be usb-c. of those, two will be usb-3. two will be tbolt/usb-4. if you only get two ports on your model, they will both be the latter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is USB 3.1 gen 2 the one that's red on USB-A connectors or is that one of the other dozen USB 3 standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

Is USB 3.1 gen 2 the one that's red on USB-A connectors or is that one of the other dozen USB 3 standards?

afaia aware that’s an optional connector used by some oems to convey power / charging options

but maybe this has been used multiple ways idk