Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

zoux posted:

Here's one, what's the stupidest way a head-of-state or monarch has died in combat

The traditional account of Pyrrhus' death is that he got brained by a roof-tile thrown at him by some enemy soldier's angry mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

zoux posted:

Here's one, what's the stupidest way a head-of-state or monarch has died in combat

In 761 CE, Shi Siming was assassinated by his own commanders in order to place his son on the throne. Which Shi Siming should have seen coming, because he was cruel and arbitrary to his generals, and he'd seen an emperor assassinated for this behavior in 757 CE.

Emperor Julian's death is also extremely funny for the fact that if he'd been less dedicated to his Alexander LARP there's like 20 different ways he could have avoided it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

Not during combat per se, but during Third Crusade the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I drowned while crossing a river because he wouldn't take off his suit of armour (probably - there are other versions, but they are all stupid).

Then Nazis named their invasion of Russia after his glory (and because they thought he was still living asleep inside a mountain).

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Valtonen posted:

I would propably look at some Roman emperors, all sorts of pretorian guard related shenanigans there. Also the one dude who got himself cut by a Syrian auxiliary archer whilst taking a piss at the roadside.

Pretty much all rulers who start loving with their bodyguards die in stupid ways and have themselves to blame, from Philip II to Indira Gandhi.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 20, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Valtonen posted:

Also the one dude who got himself cut by a Syrian auxiliary archer whilst taking a piss at the roadside.

That was Caracella, I think?

Caracella being his nickname as apparently he favored Emperor Palpatine style cloaks and hoods. He once had the entire city of Alexandria killed? If memory serves he's also the dude who was co-emperor with his brother until he had his brother assassinated. In a hit he arranged by having their mother in the room, so dude died in their mother's arms? He then damnento memorie [Latin but certainly misspelled] his brother Egyptian style, scratching out his name where carved and defacing murals, statues, etc.

What I'm saying is that in his cruelty it was almost inevitable that somebody was going to off him like that

There was another Roman Emperor who was captured in battle against an eastern foe, the Parthians or the Sassanids. He was killed, stuffed, and made into a coat rack.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
There was one king who was besieging a castle and saw a kid jumping around on top of the walls with a crossbow taking pot-shots at the besiegers. The king got too close to laugh at the kid's antics and got sniped by a kid. Supposedly he told his buddies to go easy on the kid, but they didn't.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

Emperor Carus. Struck by lightning after being warned by an oracle that starting a war during a lightning storm was a bad omen.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What counts as a state? Plenty of tribal chiefs died in battle in 19th century New Zealand.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nenonen posted:

The AMOS mortar system has 2x 120mm barrels and yes, they can also be employed for direct fire. Probably not desirable in real life as the system's entire point is to be able to shoot on the move so you'll be long gone before counter-battery barrage arrives, but possible.

cursed image:

Does it count as a technical if you start out with a M113?

Speaking of M113s, is there a backstory for why APCs like the M113, M59, M75, and so on don't have names?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Naming it "Gavin" will solve that problem.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sullat posted:

There was one king who was besieging a castle and saw a kid jumping around on top of the walls with a crossbow taking pot-shots at the besiegers. The king got too close to laugh at the kid's antics and got sniped by a kid. Supposedly he told his buddies to go easy on the kid, but they didn't.

That was Richard the Lionheart.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HannibalBarca posted:

The traditional account of Pyrrhus' death is that he got brained by a roof-tile thrown at him by some enemy soldier's angry mother.

Clay roof tiles can easily weigh a pound apiece, and if you're up on the roof where a ready supply of ammo is, you have gravity on your side. Death by stoning with roof tiles wasn't a particularly unheard-of way to go in Roman times, if I recall correctly.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i know Napoleon III didn't bite it but boy he must have sure had some egg on his face at Sedan

oh, at Varna in 1444 the Hungarian army under Wladyslaw III and John Hunyadi stumbled into a much larger Ottoman force under sultan Murad. Their accompanying prelate suggested forming a wagon fort on a nearby hill to await withdrawal by sea, but was overruled by the young king, who was dehorsed and decapitated in the ensuing suicidal drive on the Turkish center

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2021

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Napoleon III was really probably wishing he had died in the battle.

Though if you wanna talk about Emperor's/Kings who got absolutely humiliated, I think my favorite would be Valerian so utterly screwing the pooch that he was the first Roman Emperor captured. Every other Roman Emperor/adventurous consul who had went off to die a horrible death to Parthians at least had the decency to die first before getting their corpses paraded around.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Henry II of France died in a jousting accident during a festival celebrating a peace treaty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Henry II of France died in a jousting accident during a festival celebrating a peace treaty.

I swear I remember that being mentioned in some sort of Nostradamus special that someone in my household taped back in the 80s.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Fighting the weather because you wrote out your inauguration speech and you really wanna get it all out.

Really worth the effort there Harrison.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Emus are a valid type of military combatant, so if an Emu finally gets Bolsanaro that qualifies as death by combat.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If I remember, he caught a lance in the face and took better than a week to die. Not exactly a kingly way to pass.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fish and chips and dip posted:

President of Chad Idriss Déby was killed when leading troops in battle against rebels in northern Chad.

https://www.theafricareport.com/81373/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-says-national-radio/

My question is; before Déby, who was the last head of state (king, president, dictator, whatever) of a recognized, sovereign territory who was killed in battle? The only I could find was El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed in 1976 from Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (unrecognized state) and a bunch of medieval kings.

Edited for clarity.

Was thinking on this, and Francisco Solano López, President of Paraguay died in battle in 1870, killed by Brazilian soldiers.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I remember in late 2001 hearing about a Taliban offer to set up a duel to the death between Bush and Blair and Omar with AK-47's in a mountain pass or something. No idea if there's any degree of truth to that, or if it's on a similar level to bin Laden's secret underground supervillain lair.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The 6'6" rich kid was a huge loving fan of tunnels, that's why we got him in Tora Bora.

E: Yeah I wrote that, sorry.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 21, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

EggsAisle posted:

I remember in late 2001 hearing about a Taliban offer to set up a duel to the death between Bush and Blair and Omar with AK-47's in a mountain pass or something. No idea if there's any degree of truth to that, or if it's on a similar level to bin Laden's secret underground supervillain lair.

As a kid, I wished world leaders would just murder each other at the UN instead of going to war. As an adult, I still think it would be a better system than the one we have.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"Okay kids, the US will be run by Spec-ops Colonel Murderhands Killski now that he beat Joe Biden in a duel, the East Coast will shortly be cleansed by radioactive fire. Sorry but those are the rules."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Chamale posted:

As a kid, I wished world leaders would just murder each other at the UN instead of going to war. As an adult, I still think it would be a better system than the one we have.

https://youtu.be/pO1HC8pHZw0

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We could always do the Robot Jox thing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

feedmegin posted:

We could always do the Robot Jox thing

what else are armies

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fangz posted:

"Okay kids, the US will be run by Spec-ops Colonel Murderhands Killski now that he beat Joe Biden in a duel, the East Coast will shortly be cleansed by radioactive fire. Sorry but those are the rules."

The traditional solution is just swearing him in temporarily because the prez is totally indisposed. There's a discussion in the ancient history thread about making a fall guy the temporary king in situations where the king was expected to deliver rainfall / other kinds of divine favor.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

Sweyn III of Denmark was murdered by peasants when his horse was sucked into a bog, which sounds stupid to you but is just tuesday in Denmark.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

Listen, fat

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

GW put on the flight suit and trotted the banner out as if he were personally responsible for bombing Saddam so that's probably what 70% of the USA misremembers as the real history.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fangz posted:

Pretty sure this is exactly how Dan Crenshaw thinks the government should work.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Man, the Shriners have been escalating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOBHZd6TW4&t=21s

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Konstantinos XI the last emperor of the Byzantines died fighting without his royal regalia after he threw them off when Constantinople was falling.

He died in a pretty cool way compared to some of these bums.

Then there is Gustavus Adolphus who died after he got lost and separated behind enemy lines during the 30 years war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tiger Crazy posted:

Konstantinos XI the last emperor of the Byzantines died fighting without his royal regalia after he threw them off when Constantinople was falling.

He died in a pretty cool way compared to some of these bums.

Then there is Gustavus Adolphus who died after he got lost and separated behind enemy lines during the 30 years war.

I had a bit of a double take when I remembered that I think this had happened to at least two different Swedish Kings in different European wars.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The president of Chad was killed by rebel forces while visiting the front lines like a few days ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Abongination posted:

The president of Chad was killed by rebel forces while visiting the front lines like a few days ago.

are you like completely and utterly unaware of how this discussion started or what

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
The virgin Chad president and the chad Chad rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Abongination posted:

This makes me think - when was the last time a head of state was killed in combat?