Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stravag posted:

I'm still waiting for something to happen to gently caress up the sentence somehow. Feels weird the right thing happened man

Cops in Columbus, OH literally shot a 15-year-old black girl within the hour of that verdict lol

the right thing hasn't happened until we get abolition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1384707021212209153?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Here's the bodycamera footage, the whole thing starts at 6:40.

https://twitter.com/factal/status/1384704938769530881

I've seen it a whole bunch and I don't know what to really think. It's not a straight-up execution like the family/neighborhood was saying and it's not as clean as the initial cop statement was.

Edit: Here's the write-up that matches what I saw https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/20/one-person-killed-officer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 21, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

I've seen it a whole bunch and I don't know what to really think. It's not a straight-up execution like the family/neighborhood was saying and it's not as clean as the initial cop statement was.
I've never been stabbed, and I bet it hurts like a motherfucker. But if you want to be a special thin blue line snowflake and get adored for how dangerous your job is and all that moto poo poo pigs live for, maybe don't bring a gun to a knife fight with a 16 year old girl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe just don't shoot 15 year olds at all.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Maybe don't attack and stab people? She was actively stabbing that poor girl, and had just charged and tackled and possibly stabbed that other one. She wasn't listening to commands, thought it was a bright idea to attack people with a knife in front of police, and was actively attacking people with a knife in front of police.

She was actively using deadly force against another person. Using deadly force in defense of oneself or another (from death or great bodily injury) is on the books in, to my knowledge, every state in the U.S.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 21, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: Here's the write-up that matches what I saw https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/20/one-person-killed-officer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

So the police side of things is she swung (with the knife) and missed the first girl, who "She's a loving kid, man!" dude then proceeded to kick in the head, before going after the second girl against the car, at which point things went sideways?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Maybe don't attack and stab people? She was actively stabbing that poor girl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maybe don't attack and stab people? She was actively stabbing that poor girl, and had just charged and tackled and possibly stabbed that other one. She wasn't listening to commands, thought it was a bright idea to attack people with a knife in front of police, and was actively attacking people with a knife in front of police.

She was actively using deadly force against another person. Using deadly force in defense of oneself or another (from death or great bodily injury) is on the books in, to my knowledge, every state in the U.S.

This is the sort of situation that tasers are supposed to be for.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Cops just shouldn't have guns period.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Let's all take a big deep loving breath on this one.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is the sort of situation that tasers are supposed to be for.

Not really. Tasers are absolutely useful in certain situations. If this girl was pacing around with the knife, and was a decent distance from the officers and any third parties, I'd agree with you.

The cops try to use less lethal means when the threat isn't active - the moment cops switch to deadly force is when the suspect attempts to use that deadly force against an officer or a third party.

https://youtu.be/sV9U1jtZ2vo

https://youtu.be/tB7FdvN3Gu4

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That looked like a legally justified shooting given everything we see, and knowing he was the lone officer.

I might have done things different, but I've also been known to put personal safety like, 4th or 5th in my list of priorities.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Give cops hand held nets like the gladiators of old

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

That looked like a legally justified shooting given everything we see, and knowing he was the lone officer.

There's like 3 other cops there with him.

Also, is it clear that she was the one who called 911?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Man that’s a lovely situation all around

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Fuuuuuuuck. I would've thought a taser would work there, but either way the victim was literally mid-swing on the lady in pink. loving awful man.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

There's like 3 other cops there with him.

Also, is it clear that she was the one who called 911?

I stand corrected- I only saw the one officer in the videos I've seen.

And no, the only thing that is clear is that she is trying to stab someone.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
In other news: Some rebel just managed to kill the president of Chad, who was visiting the front lines.

From BBC:
"Chad's President Idriss Déby has died of his injuries following clashes with rebels in the north of the country at the weekend, the army has said."
"Déby, 68, spent more than three decades in power and was one of Africa's longest-serving leaders. "
" For years, President Déby was the West's indispensable ally in the war against Islamist militants - in Mali, Niger and beyond."

"In a statement, the French presidency described Mr Déby as a "brave friend" and said it affirmed its attachment to the stability of Chad. Over the years, France has deployed troops and fighter jets to push back Mr Déby's opponents."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The virgin... won?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Stravag posted:

I'm still waiting for something to happen to gently caress up the sentence somehow. Feels weird the right thing happened man

I honestly was surprised. Maybe it's a sign of change. But even if the verdict holds, I won't be surprised if he gets pardoned as soon as there's another Republican president.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

I honestly was surprised. Maybe it's a sign of change. But even if the verdict holds, I won't be surprised if he gets pardoned as soon as there's another Republican president.

Since when did he have federal charges against him :confused:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

Since when did he have federal charges against him :confused:

Right. I forgot about that. Shows you that I'm not an American.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SlightlyMad posted:

In other news: Some rebel just managed to kill the president of Chad, who was visiting the front lines.

From BBC:
"Chad's President Idriss Déby has died of his injuries following clashes with rebels in the north of the country at the weekend, the army has said."
"Déby, 68, spent more than three decades in power and was one of Africa's longest-serving leaders. "

I’m suspicious of any head of state who stays in power for thirty years, I assume this guys was propped up by France et al?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I’m suspicious of any head of state who stays in power for thirty years, I assume this guys was propped up by France et al?

Nothing happens in the Sahel without France being OK with it. Also it seems like it could have been something of a palace coup given that his son is taking power, and the military remains the dominant political faction. I doubt this is going to lead to rifts in the military or civil conflict.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1384678521478340609

Ah well, nevertheless. Would someone please pass the MRAP?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I didnt hear about any rioting outside of Portland (which has been going on for a while). When are antifa going to “riot anyway” about the Chauvin verdict?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I didnt hear about any rioting outside of Portland (which has been going on for a while). When are antifa going to “riot anyway” about the Chauvin verdict?

I’ll have to ask my “centrist” coworker who was saying this would happen and is always mysteriously on the side of OANN.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just love believing the police version of events, as it is always the most truthful

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

https://twitter.com/it_aint_pretty_/status/1384737968066228224?s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Admittedly it’s bad footage but because cops can’t stand to be filmed but that doesn’t even look like a protest, much less a riot? it looks like people waiting for the bus when a gang walked by to jump them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1384685201645780995

Not one single word of this is true.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

Admittedly it’s bad footage but because cops can’t stand to be filmed but that doesn’t even look like a protest, much less a riot? it looks like people waiting for the bus when a gang walked by to jump them.

Protesters went about and then cops rioted and attacked them. In Portland. Last night.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/raiders/status/1384650781672939521?s=21

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Shouldn't this be in the idiots thread?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

That's how popo do. Bullhorn "People must leave immediately" and then beat and arrest people as they leave with walls of cops they had pre-placed behind people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mark Davis tweeted that because Floyd's brother said that after the verdict was read. He didn't know about the cops that wore shirts that said that following the killing of Eric Garner.

He's stubbornly leaving a tone deaf tweet up because he wants to emulate his father who was an actual progressive responsible for the integration of the NFL. He's just an idiot, though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Laranzu posted:

Shouldn't this be in the idiots thread?

lmao this popped up less than an hour later

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I just love believing the police version of events, as it is always the most truthful

Good thing it's captured on video, for the whole world to see then.

Just because it doesn't fit the narrative of "innocent teen slain by police," doesn't mean you have to continue to harp on it, or act as if the video shows something different than it does.

There are a gently caress TON of bad shoots, or questionable shoots that people can protest and hate the police over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would argue that you don’t have to shoot someone with a knife when you have other alternatives available like OC and a taser.

Yes, an officer has to respond to a threat. The gun is always response #1 and it shouldn’t be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Good thing it's captured on video, for the whole world to see then.

Just because it doesn't fit the narrative of "innocent teen slain by police," doesn't mean you have to continue to harp on it, or act as if the video shows something different than it does.

There are a gently caress TON of bad shoots, or questionable shoots that people can protest and hate the police over.

Yeah, the officer couldn't put himself in danger to try and disarm or deescalate. He should jump immediately to lethal force and shooting a teenage girl