Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mediaphage posted:

it gets used for modelling massive data sets

Understood but...why? Are you using something that requires Metal or?...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Crunchy Black posted:

Understood but...why? Are you using something that requires Metal or?...

i’m not using it my so is, i just found and bought the ram for it and helped diagnose the problem

it’s ml research and easier to get ram to install in a work computer at home than to get a ram upgrade to the server somewhere in a maze on campus during a pandemic

otherwise prolly wouldn’t have gone above 32

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

njsykora posted:

Is USB 3.1 gen 2 the one that's red on USB-A connectors or is that one of the other dozen USB 3 standards?

You mean USB 3.2 gen 2? Afaik all USB 3 derivatives USB-A connectors should be blue, some OEMs use different colors but I don't think any of them are a standard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I wonder if apple putting Ethernet on MagSafe is a trial for a magnetic dock/docking standard for MacBook in the future

Like, power over MagSafe sounds good enough but imagine Thunderbolt over MagSafe

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if apple putting Ethernet on MagSafe is a trial for a magnetic dock/docking standard for MacBook in the future

Like, power over MagSafe sounds good enough but imagine Thunderbolt over MagSafe

This would be my hope. I'm totally okay with losing USB-C "standard-tivity" with chargers if it means MagSafe comes back and they can incorporate an OcuLink or TB4/USB connection to the brick...would open the door for 3rd parties to make compatible "charging docks" etc...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My understanding from articles I've read is that the magnetic power cable for the new iMac is a thunderbolt cable - that's why it does power and ethernet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't know desktops would have magnetic power plugs but now I kind of want one in everything. I'm assuming it will be compatible with future laptops as well.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Nice. Now if they could give the full Shortbread recipe....

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't know desktops would have magnetic power plugs but now I kind of want one in everything. I'm assuming it will be compatible with future laptops as well.
It's actually kinda problematic since desktops don't have batteries which means if the cord gets pulled it triggers a hard shutdown. Certainly better than your computer crashing to the ground, but I feel like that's also a rather extreme and unlikely scenario during a standard cord tug. I'm sure Apple has done plenty of testing and the grip on the connection is fairly tight, but still a bit of a strange decision since the only way they marketed it is "uhh, it's slightly easier to plug and unplug".

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I haven’t had an iMac since 2016 when I finally quit using my then decade old intel model. Today’s presentation has made me want the M1 iMac a whole lot.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Why are you all so riled up about the chin, the new iMac is literally so small

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Ugh this computer is so big and ugly, what was apple thinking

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nicest looking desktop I’ve ever seen tbqh

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

This way you effectively just limit your battery capacity earlier in the lifespan of the device rather than later. Batteries are degrading no matter what you do and companies should be compelled to make it affordable and accessible to switch an old battery out.

I'll never understand why apple make this so hard. I get theres ergnomic factors. But a lot of countries, including Australia, have laws that require apple to make the process as cheap as possible for the consumer, or make it abundantly clear at purchase that the mac isnt a purchase that will last more than a few years (which apple dont). Cos replacing half the mac cos the batteries are physically melded with the case or motherboard cant be cheapWorse, Lithium batteries innevitably become hazardous after a while (Likely some time after they stop holding charge), and that becomes a mandatory free repair in Australia and parts of the EU. If this is costing Apple big money, why not just change strategy and figure out how to make the batteries easily replaceable.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I think the iMac looks awesome. I don't have a need for one, but I sure do like them more than the older one's.

Red wunzz go fasta!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

duck monster posted:

I'll never understand why apple make this so hard. I get theres ergnomic factors. But a lot of countries, including Australia, have laws that require apple to make the process as cheap as possible for the consumer, or make it abundantly clear at purchase that the mac isnt a purchase that will last more than a few years (which apple dont). Cos replacing half the mac cos the batteries are physically melded with the case or motherboard cant be cheapWorse, Lithium batteries innevitably become hazardous after a while (Likely some time after they stop holding charge), and that becomes a mandatory free repair in Australia and parts of the EU. If this is costing Apple big money, why not just change strategy and figure out how to make the batteries easily replaceable.

They must make up for it with massive sales in the US and China and other places that don't care about consumers/environment. Being able to make thin computers is pretty cool and nobody else is really doing it to this extent. In some ways I wish it was easier to swap batteries but I'm glad someone out there is pushing designs as far as they can go.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
99% of people who ever buy a laptop aren’t going to replace the battery by themselves so why does it matter if it’s not user replaceable. Users don’t do that. They user researched this already

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bet a lot of people would replace their batteries if they were user replaceable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The question is how much money it costs apple in parts and labor to replace the battery and if it's cost efficient. Looking at iFixit's tutorial it looks pretty hard and I bet they hate doing it. But I think they hardly get battery replacement requests in the first place even in Australia.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
All I want is for the iMac to sell unbelievably well so that the next MBA/MBP refresh gets the fun colors and I can finally upgrade from the mid 2015 MBP, aka the best laptop Apple ever made.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I bet a lot of people would replace their batteries if they were user replaceable.

They absolutely would. They would also use the cheapest Chinese knock off they could find and then the poo poo explodes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

99% of people who ever buy a laptop aren’t going to replace the battery by themselves so why does it matter if it’s not user replaceable. Users don’t do that. They user researched this already

Any link to this study? Laptop batteries are (or at least once were) insanely easy to change and they sold laptop batteries in stores.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

yeah all ports on the new imacs will be usb-c. of those, two will be usb-3. two will be tbolt/usb-4. if you only get two ports on your model, they will both be the latter.
Is there a technical reason / benefit for this or is it just cost saving? Would things break if all four were Thunderbolt / USB4?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

Is there a technical reason / benefit for this or is it just cost saving? Would things break if all four were Thunderbolt / USB4?

they could have had the ports share a bus if they wanted, i guess, like on intel macs and say they had four ports. thus far m1 macs have shipped with two separate thunderbolt buses; it will be interesting to see whether each of these ports has their own, or if they share one and a second is taken by the power/networking cable as referenced above.

either way it’s not a huge deal because thunderbolt 4 supports thunderbolt hubs which allow for up to three devices to be connected to a single port without needing to daisy chain.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Noted once more that the M1 iMac only has support for one external display, 6K @ 60 Hz.

As if I would buy an iMac, then pay 3x the price for a supplemental monitor..

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I would be fully into the new iMac design if the color on the face and stand was solid like the back, rather than pale. They almost had a bold look but pulled back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TACD posted:

I think the current M1 only supports two, and they are just using the same chip in everything.

Which is technically just “cost savings” but pretty justifiable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I would be fully into the new iMac design if the color on the face and stand was solid like the back, rather than pale. They almost had a bold look but pulled back.

i think they look pretty bold. i said this somewhere else but i think it’s because having a bright non-neutral colour directly next to the display probably makes colours on the display look weird

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This is the dumbest looking Mac ever. Why do people like this stupid thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I think we’re just gonna have to chalk it up to one of those things that you just don’t and won’t understand, Bob, like police brutality and how viruses work

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MOUSE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Honestly, I don’t think it’s aging particular well. Those old plastics are starting to feel cheap when every $10 decide now uses better ones.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think we’re just gonna have to chalk it up to one of those things that you just don’t and won’t understand, Bob, like police brutality and how viruses work
It looks like a thermostat from an 80s wall panel paired with a coffee maker.

I'm not going to say whether I like it or not because this is the first time I've seen it and it lacks context.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Khorne posted:

It looks like a thermostat screen from a wall panel from the 80s paired with a coffee maker.

bruh everything in the 90s that tried to be futuristic looked like that....until G3 iMac and PowerMac came out

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Painted plastic is bad, anything that involves a soft-touch coating is bad because it's going to degrade over time. Everything plastic should be made like a power tool - with glass reinforcing and bold dyes, I want all my computers to look like a Milwaukee drill.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

American McGay posted:

Have you actually met the average laptop user or are you just basing this on... What are you basing this on exactly?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

when i was doing tech writing for websites one day we got a box. i opened it up expecting to see some loaner review units or something. inside was a ton of bubble wrap, covering two muddy acer laptops.

they didn’t have batteries. there was a hand-written note on notebook paper asking us to please add batteries or upgrade them or something, i can’t remember. attached to the note was a check for like $200.

i managed to track down their phone number and gave them a call to explain that we weren’t in that sort of business and shipped it back to them for free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Have you actually met the average laptop user or are you just basing this on... What are you basing this on exactly?

Average users' batteries are dead or last less than 30 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
At a guess Apple has enough information to know what the expected life of their products are in the wild and that almost all of them will be in a landfill before the battery needs servicing.

From a logistics stand point it's probably cheaper for them to ship the few thousand products a year that they are required to support to a service location have them serviced and ship them back than to make any changes to the design to support lower tier centers doing the work.

Especially once you understand that the bulk shipping deals the big multinationals have with the shippers is that it costs a few cents a kilo to overnight something across a country.