Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s both bullshit and actually true. I think the latest FSD is a complete rewrite? it’s all hilariously testing on live

it still definitely does the randomly turning off. that video posted last month (i'm pretty sure it's post-rewrite) had several disengagements. like this one where it's following a truck in a lane with a slight curve and a median, the computer just gives up and brakes the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=antLneVlxcs&t=443s

idk if it keeps going for 30 seconds without lane markings though, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chalks posted:

i love the idea that elon thinks the car with nobody at the wheel having autopilot disabled at the time of the crash is some how a good thing. what's he trying to argue, that the car just accelerates into trees when it's parked at the side of the road with no one at the wheel? the passengers being morons who self-drove themselves into a tree is the least bad option!

yeah i found this kinda baffling too

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"whoever was behind the wheel chose for some reason to move to the passenger seat while driving without enabling the autopilot first" is a completely believable and reasonable explanation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

supposedly the car didn't even have autopilot

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/MattWhitaker4TT/status/1384297267721502727

:hmmyes: I am sure this is 100% factual here.

Conversely, :hmmyes: a complete rewrite in the last 6 months allowed to drive on public roads.

You can never assess the current reliability of the system if we just keep changing the system! And I will boast about it as a win!

How does this Teslahead not see that his attempted defense is, in fact, a deep condemnation of the entire loving system.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hobbesmaster posted:

supposedly the car didn't even have autopilot

This claim seems to have sprung up, from people who would have absolutely no way of knowing but who are deeply interested in protecting Tesla's reputation. I've yet to see a single sourced article say that yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

This claim seems to have sprung up, from people who would have absolutely no way of knowing but who are deeply interested in protecting Tesla's reputation. I've yet to see a single sourced article say that yet.

Elon musk himself tweeted it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1384254194975010826?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
is autopilot and full self driving the same thing or are they separate features?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Elon musk himself tweeted it

i thought he tweeted that autopilot was disabled at the moment of the crash?

*edit* well then... erm...? how is that a good thing, elon?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

is autopilot and full self driving the same thing or are they separate features?

autopilot falls within the FSD suite of vaporware

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So the question then is, how did it manage to accelerate with no one to press the accelerator. I mean, they could have put a brick on the accelerator but in that case it would be a double suicide deal and nothing has indicated that so far...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I read that tweet as they had AP but not FSD, but the "logs so far" show that AP was not enabled at the time of the crash. That's fairly precise language for Musk so I'm assuming further investigation would show it was on at the time of the crash (assuming those logs aren't destroyed from the crash). The wives of the guys who died even said they were going out to test out AP features, so they must have had them on the car.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

The wives of the guys who died even said they were going out to test out AP features, so they must have had them on the car.

test failed, i guess?

seriously who goes out to test a feature like this for the first time by not even sitting in the driving seat?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i guess it’s possible the drivers side door didn’t open so they tried to go to the passenger side (then couldn’t open that too)?

but it’s also possible that they were killed by the computer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clearly autopilot randomly turned off, therefore it's not Tesla's fault they crashed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

one is a sub-feature of the other but i can never tell you which, because neither does what the name says

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

autopilot falls within the FSD suite of vaporware

no, it exists, it's their driver assist package

Mr. Nice! posted:

autopilot is driver assist, like everyone else's driver assist, but with no safeties and it doesn't work very well. fsd is autopilot +navigation and some other crap, it also doesn't work.

see: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/autopilot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, an even more interesting possibility is that Tesla is delaying the log writing (or overwriting logs) any time it detects a collision to mark autopilot as having been turned off X amount of time beforehand.

what if, instead of anything like that, what's happening is tesla is contracted to pull the logs and they're just lying about them?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

how exactly have they recovered logs from a lithium battery fire that required 32k gallons of water to put out? Seance?

I'm not sure they'd really be relevant anyway given that nobody was in the drivers seat, unless....a ghost did it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

how exactly have they recovered logs from a lithium battery fire that required 32k gallons of water to put out? Seance?

I'm not sure they'd really be relevant anyway given that nobody was in the drivers seat, unless....a ghost did it!

they're all connected to :yaycloud: and constantly upload telemetry to "improve" the "AI"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, I read the report linked in the tweet posted earlier. It does not make good reading. They took three random 2018 Model 3s and tested out their lane keeping, attention alert, dangerous situation switch of capabilities etc and A one of the cars kept flunking out on key tasks but overall the behavior wasn't consistent between the three cars either in several important respects. Utterly nuts.

Oh, and apparently charging or supercharging might gently caress with autopilot behavior for a certain period after the charge.

http://hal.pratt.duke.edu/sites/hal.pratt.duke.edu/files/u39/dms-min.pdf

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Munin posted:

Btw, I read the report linked in the tweet posted earlier. It does not make good reading. They took three random 2018 Model 3s and tested out their lane keeping, attention alert, dangerous situation switch of capabilities etc and A one of the cars kept flunking out on key tasks but overall the behavior wasn't consistent between the three cars either in several important respects. Utterly nuts.

Oh, and apparently charging or supercharging might gently caress with autopilot behavior for a certain period after the charge.

pffft you can't expect a computer like that to be deterministic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so maybe they are actually running the driving logic on a neural net

the mind boggles

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Weird, I've never had to get a hotel for the night because the gas station I was planning on using was broken. The funny thing is this would be trivial to add to Tesla's built-in trip system, or at least it should be seeing as how Tesla designed both the cars and the charging stations.

https://twitter.com/mazenhafezKTLA/status/1384674282517663748?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just call AAA and have them bring you a few gallons of electricity if you get stuck someplace

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just call AAA and have them bring you a few gallons of electricity if you get stuck someplace

I had a coworker ask me the other day if I could get an extra battery to put in the trunk if I needed more range, like a car battery or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FrozenVent posted:

I had a coworker ask me the other day if I could get an extra battery to put in the trunk if I needed more range, like a car battery or something

you've gotta get one of those emergency jumping kits, the electricity is more concentrated

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush, tell the story about jump starting your car with a drone battery

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FrozenVent posted:

i just have an app that maps to the nearest clock tower and nws reports, but i should spring for the iap for mr fusion

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

infernal machines posted:

Sagebrush, tell the story about jump starting your car with a drone battery

that's kinda the whole thing. car was totally dead, i had a 12v lithium battery from a model airplane, it wasn't powerful enough to spin the starter but it did run the fuel pump and turn on the ECU so i was able to push-start it.

also lol staying the night at harris ranch. it's a giant feedlot that stinks like manure. and not healthy cows in pastures manure, rotting feedlot death manure.

there is a tiny airstrip beside it that i've flown into and you can smell the place from ten miles and six thousand feet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ah, harris ranch

didn't remember the name at first, but I definitely remember the smell

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A number of my friends moved to Santa Cruz or SF after high school so I've done the LA to Nor Cal drive countless times, I always get off at Harris Ranch as a rough halfway point to get gas / fast food. The smell really is amazing, you can smell the place long before you see it. I've only eaten at Harris Ranch one time and I ended up with a surprisingly lovely and overpriced filet mignon. I don't know how they pull that off when the cows are 5 mins away, but somehow they did. I'd rather eat at the Carl's Jr at that exit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they know you can't taste it

i have hyposmia/"hard of smell" and goddamn that place reeked when i drove through it in a big hot moving van

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Munin posted:

Conclusion: WTF Car 2?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1384877128139821056?s=20

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

that's kinda the whole thing. car was totally dead, i had a 12v lithium battery from a model airplane, it wasn't powerful enough to spin the starter but it did run the fuel pump and turn on the ECU so i was able to push-start it.

also lol staying the night at harris ranch. it's a giant feedlot that stinks like manure. and not healthy cows in pastures manure, rotting feedlot death manure.

there is a tiny airstrip beside it that i've flown into and you can smell the place from ten miles and six thousand feet

electroboom on YouTube did this with a bunch of D cell batteries in series didn’t he

And then a big block of capacitors glued together which started the car and promptly burned up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can buy lithium based jump start packs so it shouldn’t be surprising? I have one, I had to use it a few times after I didn’t use my car enough and then the battery completely froze when it hit -30ish it was kinda impressive how deformed it was when replaced

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
FWIU, "completely rewriting" enterprise software is insane and should pretty much only be last resort? Sounds like something some college kid who coded himself in a corner would do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Colonel J posted:

FWIU, "completely rewriting" enterprise software is insane and should pretty much only be last resort? Sounds like something some college kid who coded himself in a corner would do.

lol if you think that’s not exactly what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lol if you think that’s not exactly what happened

Elon overheard “new branch”, ran with it and no one corrected him